• Bastian of Prep

Top Drawer | Style  

One of my favorite collections to date is Michael Bastian’s 2007 Summer line. His offering embodies 1970s New England preppy–when preppy meant elegant, hard working clothes that lasted decades, not a season. Which explains why Jaws served as Bastian’s inspiration. The Nantucket red tuxedo pants, the cut-off chino shorts and the Adidas slides–it’s all here. The devil is in the details. Striped polo shirts fit snugly; blazers are cut narrow; and slim button-downs harbor concealed shoulder vents so you can actually move your arms.

Image via GQ

“The key to the American look is that it’s very unstudied: It seems like you’ve spent no time at all getting yourself together, even if you have. You look very offhand and not precious at all.”    –Michael Bastian

Aug 31, 2009 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

preppstedreamin left a comment on 9/16/2014 at 2:11 PM:

This is so good. M.Bastian is one of the leading in prep essentials.

Tim O'Connor left a comment on 4/17/2014 at 6:38 PM:

Great Blog…luv this stuff!

Lee Anne Jackson left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 12:54 PM:

Mr. Castleberry,

As a Southern lady and your long-time friend, I have to say, not only are you fashionable, but you have manners and etiquette missing in the gentlemen of this era. Congratulations on the launch of the website. Everything about it, from the font, to the photography, to the grammar and verbage, is truly fabulous and trés chic!

Best wishes,

Miss L.A.

wrecklessgirl left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 12:52 AM:

seriously, though. i love it too. i love all of this. what a fabulous blog. bravo.

• Anton Yelchin

Culture  

Though Anton Yelchin’s been kidnapped in Alpha Dog, manned the Enterprise in Star Trek, and fought alongside Christian Bale in this year’s Terminator: Salvation, this 20 year-old’s career has just begun. Yelchin’s portrait practically sits adjacent to the definition of “dapper” in Webster’s dictionary. He loves that fifties Rat Pack aesthetic and “wants to get to the point in my life where I wear only nice suits,” he says.

Anton wears a Band of Outsiders shirt ($215), and Madras blazer. Marc by Marc Jacobs jeans ($188). United Bamboo shoes ($350). Read the entire Teen Vogue piece for more on this unabashedly prep thespian.

Aug 28, 2009 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

craig left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 3:41 PM:

What about his star role in Charlie Bartlett?! Clearly a knock-out performance!

• Piping Hot

Style  

Gentlemen, this is a study in summer simplicity...

Image via British GQ

Aug 27, 2009 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Short Cuts

Style  

The Seventies–they gave us Jaws, tight-fitting clothes and Saturday Night Fever. I’m quite fond of the silhouette for men that evolved out of that era. Robert Ellsworth’s costume design for the 1975 classic open-water thriller brought New England preppy to the forefront. These cut-off chino shorts are a tribute to that decade; that Summer weekend sailing uniform.

Photographed in Marina del Ray, CA

Steve McQueen in 1968’s The Thomas Crown Affair. The epitome of cool, McQueen wore the short style chino before the ensuing decade adopted the trend.

Image via Gant

Do it yourself: Measure your chino shorts to the desired length, measuring from the inseam (mine boast a 4” inseam). In order to insure that your front pockets show, turn your shorts inside-out to make your mark (pencil or chalk work). Fold each leg onto each other and cut both together. Sew a top-stitch around the hem in order to prevent excessive fraying (or have your tailor do this). Wash, hang dry, wear with the swagger of a leading man.

Aug 26, 2009 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Charles left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 12:19 PM:

I"ve been proudly wearing a 6” inseam for a few months now, and when others mention how short they are, I proudly say thank you

Red left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 2:01 AM:

What shoes are those?  They look great

Seth Hosko left a comment on 7/12/2010 at 12:09 PM:

Killer. If you have good legs, show em (tanned, thanks!).

Brown left a comment on 2/25/2010 at 2:35 PM:

Ught the shorts look awesome and are so on point for the Spring look. Well done Unabashedly. I’m 6’2 and I’m going to be rocking them all over New York S/S.

Memphis88 left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 11:40 PM:

Your blog looks good.

S.N.Carpeaux left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 11:12 PM:

I stand by the rule that a gentleman’s shorts be longer than his female counterpart. However, that ‘68 McQueen and Dunaway shot is to die for.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 3:09 PM:

Rhonda, thank you. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Come back often…and spread the word if you like what you read/see.

Rhonda left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 11:13 AM:

You have done a great job, Fred!  this is definitely worth the wait!

• Twilight by Top-Down

Top Drawer | Miscellany  

Photograph by Tim Walker

The crickets’ chorus never sounded better than at the buzz of twilight. You can cut the Summer air with a knife as damp grasses bend underfoot. The lake is glass. I’m instantly enthralled...whisked away to the Florida Everglades where Southern hospitality is served up with every glass of sweet tea. Hitchcock’s North by Northwest, your girl under your arm, and friends to die for; it’s Prep living at it’s best.

This photograph is brilliant for so many reasons. Inspiring you each time you reach for your wardrobe is just one of them.

Aug 26, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

nannypie left a comment on 3/15/2012 at 10:36 PM:

Looks like fun, but all I can think about is the mosquitoes!

ElizabethSuzanna left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 10:40 PM:

I so wish that this were still happening in the world, and if it is, I will be there this summer.  I can hear the cicadas now.

Sara left a comment on 9/1/2009 at 10:58 PM:

What a perfect way to summer.

• Older Posts