• Under the Hood

Dress Code  

Photographed in Los Angeles, CA

Sep 30, 2009 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

Lara left a comment on 9/30/2009 at 12:01 PM:

Love this portrait.  You look stunning, Shannon.

• The Talented Mr. Ripley

Culture  

The twisted tale of a Manhattan lavatory attendant begins in a borrowed Princeton blazer. It’s the 1950s. Tom Ripley, a young underachiever, weaves a tangled web of haunted obsession and yearning. In fact, the unabridged title The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley disturbingly sums it up. Although quite unsettling, the film’s portrayal of the endlessly romantic Italian landscape is fodder for the eye. Gary Jones and Ann Roth’s costume design is nothing short of inspiring. It’s an impeccable choice to silently project during your Summer backyard tea/garden party.

Sep 29, 2009 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Pharmf354 left a comment on 4/24/2012 at 7:24 AM:

Hello! kkfeked interesting kkfeked site! I’m really like it! Very, very kkfeked good!

gary left a comment on 12/19/2009 at 4:13 AM:

Got any shots of Law in that blue suit?

Chris left a comment on 12/6/2009 at 1:41 PM:

Check out Purple Noon from 1962, the original Talented Mr. Ripley movie. Even better.

Catalina Ayubi left a comment on 9/29/2009 at 7:22 PM:

Amaaaazing movie in every possible way!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/29/2009 at 4:34 PM:

Chens—Yeah, I was just over at Ivy Style today and read that nice piece you posted. I laughed at the coincidence we both pulled from the different iterations of The Talented Mr. Ripley.  I love that quote you pulled.  It bolsters your piece quite effectively.

Chens left a comment on 9/29/2009 at 4:19 PM:

We must have the same muse. Just put up my small wardrobe piece with the quote from Ripley, then I see you’ve got a Ripley post today.

And I was planning a new Kennedy post, but you scooped me there.

Jamie left a comment on 9/29/2009 at 9:58 AM:

What an amazingly creepy but unbelievably beautiful movie, both in fashion, acting and cinematography!

• Preppy Palace

Style  

This is Maximilian Sinsteden’s dorm room. He’s a college senior. He’s already got clients.

The French/art history double major eschews minimalist decor in his embrace of the eclectic. But what else would you expect from the 21-year-old senior who was voted “preppiest in the class” at Choate Rosemary Hall? The standard-issue dorm furniture was immediately ushered into storage, walls immersed in Ralph Lauren’s Tapestry Green and Oriental rugs patch-worked over the linoleum floor. The result is a brilliant living space that beckons to be lounged in.

Read the entire article over at New York Magazine.

The black-watch throw is “from my grandmother.” Sinsteden is reading The Lover, by Marguerite Duras. The plaid pillows and bed linens are Ralph Lauren. The rugs hail from his family. The armchair is “a hand-me-down from a client.”

The standing lamp is IKEA. The wall is covered with artwork by him and his friends; paintings and documents from Jaipur and Bombay; a model from Charlotte Moss; and pieces collected from “tag sales, thrift and consignment stores.”

The curtains are from Sinsteden’s boss, Charlotte Moss. The tie-backs are repurposed ascots. Bow ties could achieve the same effect.

The tie rack is by Sinsteden’s father, with finials from P.E. Guerin. The chest of drawers is an $80 thrift-store find.

Sep 28, 2009 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Alex left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 3:24 PM:

It looks really great.

M.D.Cooley left a comment on 5/15/2010 at 3:10 AM:

I am in love with this dorm room, I hope to emulate it next year in my own dorm room.

Andrew Lynch left a comment on 10/4/2009 at 7:19 AM:

Max Fischer anyone?

www.thepatentdesk.com

Death Bredon left a comment on 10/1/2009 at 9:21 AM:

Preppy and effeminate are discrete concepts, though often confused in the popular mind.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 9/28/2009 at 4:18 PM:

This is the best thing I’ve seen all day. If I wasn’t on stage all through college I would have had my maid do this to my room.

Queen of Cashmere left a comment on 9/28/2009 at 1:53 PM:

Adore this dorm room!  Wish my 16 year old was so stylishly inclined!  It’s something innate although I’m trying to force it into him. 
    Warmest(Cashmere)Regards,
    Caron

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/28/2009 at 10:24 AM:

Kyle—Max attends Drew University in Madison, NJ. He is a senior though so he doesn’t have to hunt down a fake I.D.

Kyle Barnes left a comment on 9/28/2009 at 9:57 AM:

yeah no kidding… that place is sick. where exactly is this magical dorm that allows students to have a bar in the corner of their room????

• The Kennedys

Culture  

American dynasties are an anomaly in the extreme, and among them no family name stirs emotion over the past century as does that of Kennedy. We were reminded of this once more as the last surviving brother of the clan’s storied generation, Edward Moore Kennedy, passed on on August 25, 2009, at 77 years old.

Their story is iconic. You couldn’t have made it up; it’s a narrative in every sense as mythic and dramatic as the American dream itself—the ascension from poverty, the reign in Washington, the tragic deaths, the weekends in the Cape. They were not only prominent in politics, but in fashion. The Kennedys were the best dressed family America has ever witnessed. Their family portrait essentially sits next to “Ivy League style” in the fashion dictionary.

“I tell [my kids] that when they end this life, if they can count their friends on one hand, they will be lucky. Stick with family.”     —Joe P. Kennedy

Images via Newsweek, Life and Vanity Fair

Style weaved in and out of the Kennedy tapestry. Jackie O. was a style icon in her own right, rubbing elbows and summering in Lilly Pulitzer dresses, her friend and classmate from Porter’s. Jack, Bobby and Ted embodied the American look in their elegant, hardworking clothes that lasted decades, not just a season. Cable knit sweaters, polos, herringbone blazers, madras shorts—the Kennedys made history in these iconic pieces.

Sep 25, 2009 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Docks left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 9:50 AM:

This is classic.

Brooks left a comment on 9/30/2009 at 7:13 AM:

Great collection of pictures!

• Preposterously Dandy

Miscellany  

Photograph by Tec Petaja for Billy Reid

I am smitten with this photograph. It’s brilliant...inspiring. A preposterously dandy marriage between New England’s ubiquitous influence on Prep style and southern comfort. Billy Reid serves up this Southern sentiment in his bi-annual menswear collections that range from comfortably handmade suits and jackets to khakis that will outlive us all.

“I was raised in the South and I live in the South. So I guess my clothes do have that vibe.”    —Billy Reid

Sep 24, 2009 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

David left a comment on 5/4/2011 at 2:16 AM:

would like to see more coverage of Billy Reid. I myself have been buying his clothing non stop in the last 6 months. actually the only clothes i have bought. Want a suit but would really like to go to a store before making that kind of purchase.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/6/2009 at 11:44 AM:

Kat—Billy Reid’s fall/winter collection headed towards a southern backwoods/sticks direction.  It’s very Alabama…and slightly hipster with the addition of the beards.

kat left a comment on 10/5/2009 at 2:45 PM:

i love the southern-influenced suiting.  when i look at that collection, i think it looks very high-class hipster.  maybe it’s all the beards that are throwing me off? :)

S.N. left a comment on 9/28/2009 at 11:08 PM:

Swoon worthy.

Leslee Mitchell left a comment on 9/26/2009 at 12:13 AM:

I, too, fell madly & deeply in love with this photograph.  It made me believe in love at first sight all over again.

• Older Posts