• Rules for My Unborn Son

Music & Books  

Buy this book now—if you have (or plan on having) sons. I must thank Walker for advancing me a copy of his much anticipated book Rules for My Unborn Son. Gleaned from his popular blog, “the book of rules and accompanying quotes is quite simply an instruction manuel for becoming a Good Man—industrious, thoughtful, charming, and of course, well-dressed.” It’s a book for the ages. Intended to be passed down from one generation to the next, it’s timeless in its wisdom and delivery.

I’ve curated my top ten rules I’ve been steadily instilling in my two sons.

• Make sure your clothes fit properly.
    • Nothing good ever happens after 3 A.M. Promise.
    • Spend time with you mother. She’s cooler than you think.
    • The key to good photography is not timing. It’s editing.
    • Socks are not necessary in the summer, not matter how formal the occasion.
    • Learn to tie a bow tie.
    • When shaking hands, grip firmly and look him in the eye.
    • Don’t be afraid to ask out the best-looking girl in the room.
    • Surprise your dad at the office. Trust me, whatever I’m doing is not as important as you.
    • Never side against your brother in a fight.

Oct 30, 2009 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Connetiquette. left a comment on 3/2/2010 at 8:20 PM:

A necessary addition to the library.

james left a comment on 11/4/2009 at 9:11 PM:

Fred,
    This is great!  Thanks for sharing!  I need a copy.  Your list of 10 are spot on.  My 8 month old is already learning this stuff.  Trust me…the bow tie is next on my list.

Darren left a comment on 10/30/2009 at 3:57 PM:

Awesome.

Katie Clay left a comment on 10/30/2009 at 10:49 AM:

What a great gift for all the mothers-to-be I know!  And I love your list!

Alisha left a comment on 10/30/2009 at 10:35 AM:

Aww what an adorable book cover, I’ve definitely got to get that book as I’m sure I will have sons one day. Thanks for sharing Fred! Love your top ten, and your sons are freakin adorable!!

Deb Cull left a comment on 10/30/2009 at 8:22 AM:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Looks like this will be a necessary book for our house!

• Fight Like Hell

Miscellany  

Oct 29, 2009 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

David left a comment on 3/29/2011 at 2:55 AM:

Prueba

Maison Chaplin left a comment on 10/29/2009 at 3:59 PM:

Hi, I love your posts! I totally love this. Come check out the new posts, hope you enjoy it!

following you via rss. follow me too
    @ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

• This Is It

Culture  

Image via Vanity Fair

This is it. This is the Michael I love. Traces of a boy suspended in between the gravitational pull of a miscarried childhood and the machine that made him the most grandiose entertainer the world has ever witnessed. Enjoying a sliver of downtime in a cable knit v-neck sweater, he is a style icon for the ages. This is the Michael I remember when I’m pumping my fist to “They Don’t Care About Us”.

Oct 28, 2009 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Yokoo left a comment on 11/10/2009 at 3:41 PM:

Love your blog! I’m a huge fan of Michael jackson for many reasons, one being his style.  I have a huge MJ collection, You’ll love his outfit here http://www.flickr.com/photos/yokooyokoo/3814530633/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/29/2009 at 11:15 AM:

Fausta—If he played half as well as he danced, Keith Elwin couldn’t even come close to touching MJ’s high score.

Fausta Barra left a comment on 10/29/2009 at 11:12 AM:

I’ll bet he was a killer pin-ball player!

Red Eagle Tribe left a comment on 10/28/2009 at 3:02 PM:

Perfect picture. During those days Michael was always dressing in awesome classics with a little twist. Great post.

• Brideshead Revisited

Music & Books  

From the opening fantasy–impromptu in C sharp minor, Op. 66, you’re instantly transported back to the melancholic grandeur of Brideshead. The three–piece suits, Fair-Isle sweaters and forbidden love all return in Terry Davies’ performance of Adrian Johnston’s original score. It’s simply beautiful. The signature theme strings its entrancing composition throughout the score’s entirety, presenting the musical landscape to Brideshead Revisited as a brilliantly cohesive experience.

Oct 27, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Jay M left a comment on 11/9/2009 at 11:30 AM:

I like the message of this story and it’s plotline.  I remember reading about how Catholics in England at one time basically had no rights… makes you wonder how England could have a Catholic nobility, there is also some great social commentary:

Take this line with regard to the Marchioness brothers dying in World War I. The Marchioness: “These men must die to make a world for Hooper (Hooper is a poor character in the novel); they were the aborigines, vermin by right of law (Working class is the polite parlance for today’s politically correct day and age), to be shot off at leisure so that things might be safe for the traveling salesman.” So we have men of noble blood dying, making way for the “Traveling salesman” Today we call this traveling salesman by many names, and he contributes to lowest common denominator egalitarianism: We call him Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil, McDonald’s, in many way’s the bourgeois have already dethroned the Aristocracy, Voltaire would be proud. 

I personally prefer free-market capitalism over artificially created man made divisions like the “Royalty”, “Nobility” and “Commoners” anyway.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/31/2009 at 4:53 PM:

Joe—I’m glad you enjoyed the film. Like yourself, I thought the photography was very enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed the soundtrack just as much.

Joe left a comment on 10/31/2009 at 4:50 PM:

I recently enjoyed watching this (streaming online at Netflix). It’s a beautifully filmed movie.

• Black & Browne

Miscellany  

Black and brown are rarely a clutch duo; however, Brooks Brothers has not only paired the two together, but pinned the fate of their Black Fleece line on the brown pairing. Thom Browne, that is. The Notre Dame alum, believed to have the men’s silhouette on lock down for the near short term, was commissioned by Brooks Brothers in 2006 to helm the design of Black Fleece’s men’s and women’s collections for the next five years. I was greeted with morning coats, seersucker trousers and saddle shoes on my spring visit to their West Village store front. Some of it works. Some of it will find its way to Brooks Brothers' suburban outlets.

Images via Brooks Brothers and New York Magazine

Thom Browne was the recipient of the 2006 Council of Fashion Designers of America Award for menswear and named GQ’s Designer of the Year for 2008. His eponymous collection is available at 16 specialty retailers worldwide as well as at his appointment-only store in New York City’s Meatpacking District.

Oct 26, 2009 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Older Posts