• Tea Partay

Culture  

Smirnoff recently launched one of the most successful viral videos of all time. Spoofing the WASP lifestyle of the Northeast, Tea Partay has garnered nearly five million views on YouTube. It's pretty funny.

Oct 23, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

jordan w left a comment on 3/20/2012 at 3:45 PM:

This is a damn classic- my kids and i memorized and sing appropos of nothing- often

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 10/23/2009 at 10:50 AM:

This still makes me laugh.

Tucker left a comment on 10/23/2009 at 9:52 AM:

I’ll have to admit that it still makes me smile.

• Platitude

Dress Code  

Photographed in Bozeman, MT

Oct 22, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:41 PM:

@Andrej—My penny loafers are Cole Haan, shirt is Rugby, and tie is Ralph Lauren.

Andrej left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 11:20 PM:

I always look at where to buy things, and the time I really want something, you don’t post the source!
    So if I may ask, where did you get the shoes.  And the shirt. And tie.

Memphis88 left a comment on 10/22/2009 at 9:46 PM:

Just about perfect.

• The Sartorialist

Music & Books  

The Sartorialist is in my town (Dallas, TX) today for his book signing. Ironically, I’m in his (New York, NY). I was disappointed I wouldn’t be meeting Scott Schuman personally; however, my good friend Sara, who authors Pair Diem, amicably agreed to take my book along with hers to the signing. Thank you!

As a self-taught photographer, Scott has turned his expertise at The Sartorialist into a respected photography career. I picked up the beautifully produced, luxury limited-edition hardback aptly titled The Sartorialist. The size of the book was curious, lacking the sweeping visual impact most books featuring photography establish; however, Scott explains his influence in creating a lack of preciousness. These are some of my favorites.

“I hope that, as you look at the images in this book, rather than giving a look a ‘thumbs up’ or ‘thumbs down’, you will focus on the elements that could inspire you...it’s all about self expression. I rarely shoot a look where I love all the elements.”

—Scott Schuman

Michael Bastian

Images via The Sartorialist

Oct 20, 2009 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

CG left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 7:03 AM:

Hey - that’s a game of rugby in Trinity College Dublin - the coolest college in Europe ...

tennissets left a comment on 10/29/2009 at 9:14 AM:

I love all these shots that really capture the individual, but how cool is that last guy. So great!

EnzoAGC left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 12:03 PM:

Pretty funny that most of the photos you picked are in my inspiration file already…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 1:18 AM:

Memphis88—I haven’t read many interviews with Scott other than his own book.  At the moment, I haven’t completely decided whether or not I will leave negative comments up.  I am leaning towards not moderating whatsoever in order to keep the conversations open and honest.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 1:13 AM:

Richard—I would have liked to have met you too along with Scott.  Shooting some fun stuff up in NYC at the moment for the blog.  I’ll share later!

Richard Ross left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 12:29 AM:

I’m bummed you couldn’t have made it to the Dallas signing, I would have loved to meet you!

James left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 10:42 PM:

Fred,
    The pics that you chose to post are some of my all time favorites.  Most of them I printed out the first time I saw them.  Thanks for the highlights.

Memphis88 left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 7:02 PM:

I have most of those pictures saved in a folder on my desktop that I keep sartorially inspiring pictures in. I wish all of his pictures were like this stuff. I’ve lost a lot of respect for the guy after reading interviews with him and when I discovered that he deletes any and all negative comments from his blog.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 12:17 PM:

My pleasure, I am quite excited!

L.A.S left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 10:45 AM:

Dude all the way at the bottom right is my hero. What a badass.

• Candy Striper

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Oct 19, 2009 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Corey left a comment on 10/13/2010 at 4:54 PM:

Where did this dress come from? Is there anyway I could get 7 of them for my wedding party?

Julie left a comment on 10/19/2009 at 11:11 AM:

Love it!

• Parke & Ronen

Store Profiles  

Their suits are popping up everywhere these days. GQ sought out Ronen’s advice on suit fit in their July issue earlier this year. He’s the reason I chopped my chinos off at a 4" inseam. Ever since Parke & Ronen introduced their line of men's swimwear four years ago, they've staunchly stood by the fit and cut of their suits.

Ronen Jehezkel of Parke & Ronen

Photographed in Los Angeles, CA

“Trying to launch a complete collection off the ground was one of my big mistakes. It’s very expensive.”

—Ronen Jehezkel

Their success in focusing on men’s swimwear—and doing it very well, paved the way for recent forays into menswear. With Wall Street yuppies serving as their muse, the “dirty preppy” is a collection inspired by the financial shakedown fallout of unemployed investment bankers performing manuel labor in order to maintain their standards of living. Since they’re broke, they’re working in their preppy office clothes. The inspiration produces a more fitted silhouette in preppy fabrics like gingham, seersucker and broadcloth by employing cotton with a touch of spandex (97/3) and an enzyme wash. The result is some smart updates to southern classics. And they’re in short supply too since their collections are limited runs.

This fall, they’re off to the races as they mature their “dirty preppy” line in borrowing from the first jewel in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred horse racing—the Kentucky Derby.

Oct 16, 2009 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 5/7/2011 at 8:50 PM:

I love the way his shorts fit! (MB’s fit very well too). http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 12:42 AM:

Michael—Look at wool duffle/toggle coats by Gloverall. Find it on eBay (used) or at Sierra Trading Company online (new). Gloverall is the best in the business, out of England. Buy it right the first time and you’ll only have to buy it once.

Also, naval inspired peacoats (with the 6 buttons arranged in a two vertical rows) in wool or cotton. You’ll probably want wool if you’re in the Northeast during winter.

Michael left a comment on 10/18/2009 at 7:47 PM:

I must admit, I stumbled upon this blog accidentally and I am quite hooked. Your passion and knowledge is unparalled, and it is always nice to see things in my closet mentioned! I am just curious, but do you have any advice on a new coat style for the upcoming fall/winter?

L.A.S left a comment on 10/17/2009 at 8:06 AM:

Informative post…I’d like to say I’m pretty sartorially inclined and knowledgable, but I had never heard of this designer.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/17/2009 at 2:40 AM:

Julie—Stay tuned for the next two weeks. I’ll be writing about some of my favorite women’s options.

Julie left a comment on 10/16/2009 at 4:57 PM:

Fred…I absolutely love your blog!  You can tell it is a sincere passion and the detail and thought you put into it is going to play very well into your success someday!  Keep the great info coming…I always love to see the options for preppy women’s clothing!

• Newer Posts Older Posts