• Tea Partay

Culture  

Smirnoff recently launched one of the most successful viral videos of all time. Spoofing the WASP lifestyle of the Northeast, Tea Partay has garnered nearly five million views on YouTube. It's pretty funny.

Oct 23, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

jordan w left a comment on 3/20/2012 at 3:45 PM:

This is a damn classic- my kids and i memorized and sing appropos of nothing- often

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 10/23/2009 at 10:50 AM:

This still makes me laugh.

Tucker left a comment on 10/23/2009 at 9:52 AM:

I’ll have to admit that it still makes me smile.

• Platitude

Dress Code  

Photographed in Bozeman, MT

Oct 22, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:41 PM:

@Andrej—My penny loafers are Cole Haan, shirt is Rugby, and tie is Ralph Lauren.

Andrej left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 11:20 PM:

I always look at where to buy things, and the time I really want something, you don’t post the source!
    So if I may ask, where did you get the shoes.  And the shirt. And tie.

Memphis88 left a comment on 10/22/2009 at 9:46 PM:

Just about perfect.

• Saddle Up

Prep Essentials  

Sportswear is America's fashion child. It’s about living, and that’s where America has made its mark. In the early 1920’s, American golfers, following the Duke of Windsor’s lead, brought two-tone shoes to the greens long before they appeared on the feet of jitterbugging adolescents. Girls of the 1950’s typically paired saddle shoes with skirts, a while blouse and bobby socks. Although the normal coloration is white and black, today, they’re worn by both men and women in a variety of style and colors.

Cole Haan Derby Saddle Ox ($200)

Images via Sears, Johnston & Murphy, Cole Haan, J.Crew and Ralph Lauren

Johnston & Murphy, Ralph Lauren, J.Crew and others each have their take on the classic, but Cole Haan’s Air Derby Saddle Ox is a great find. It’s Nike Air technology makes this saddle shoe light and comfortable. In navy/white, they subtly hint at the gentlemanly demeanor found on the links (I also own their brown suede/leather saddle for fall). Pair the brown variations with a multi-stripe sock from Smart Turnout. Come summer, lace them up sock-less with your shorts and seersucker trousers.

Oct 21, 2009 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

L.A.S left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 8:17 AM:

I’m feeling the modern Cole Haan version above.  The elongated toe updates this classic shoe.  While I am more of a bucks kinda guy, the saddle shoe has a great charm/history to it.

• The Sartorialist

Music & Books  

The Sartorialist is in my town (Dallas, TX) today for his book signing. Ironically, I’m in his (New York, NY). I was disappointed I wouldn’t be meeting Scott Schuman personally; however, my good friend Sara, who authors Pair Diem, amicably agreed to take my book along with hers to the signing. Thank you!

As a self-taught photographer, Scott has turned his expertise at The Sartorialist into a respected photography career. I picked up the beautifully produced, luxury limited-edition hardback aptly titled The Sartorialist. The size of the book was curious, lacking the sweeping visual impact most books featuring photography establish; however, Scott explains his influence in creating a lack of preciousness. These are some of my favorites.

“I hope that, as you look at the images in this book, rather than giving a look a ‘thumbs up’ or ‘thumbs down’, you will focus on the elements that could inspire you...it’s all about self expression. I rarely shoot a look where I love all the elements.”

—Scott Schuman

Michael Bastian

Images via The Sartorialist

Oct 20, 2009 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

CG left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 7:03 AM:

Hey - that’s a game of rugby in Trinity College Dublin - the coolest college in Europe ...

tennissets left a comment on 10/29/2009 at 9:14 AM:

I love all these shots that really capture the individual, but how cool is that last guy. So great!

EnzoAGC left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 12:03 PM:

Pretty funny that most of the photos you picked are in my inspiration file already…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 1:18 AM:

Memphis88—I haven’t read many interviews with Scott other than his own book.  At the moment, I haven’t completely decided whether or not I will leave negative comments up.  I am leaning towards not moderating whatsoever in order to keep the conversations open and honest.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 1:13 AM:

Richard—I would have liked to have met you too along with Scott.  Shooting some fun stuff up in NYC at the moment for the blog.  I’ll share later!

Richard Ross left a comment on 10/21/2009 at 12:29 AM:

I’m bummed you couldn’t have made it to the Dallas signing, I would have loved to meet you!

James left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 10:42 PM:

Fred,
    The pics that you chose to post are some of my all time favorites.  Most of them I printed out the first time I saw them.  Thanks for the highlights.

Memphis88 left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 7:02 PM:

I have most of those pictures saved in a folder on my desktop that I keep sartorially inspiring pictures in. I wish all of his pictures were like this stuff. I’ve lost a lot of respect for the guy after reading interviews with him and when I discovered that he deletes any and all negative comments from his blog.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 12:17 PM:

My pleasure, I am quite excited!

L.A.S left a comment on 10/20/2009 at 10:45 AM:

Dude all the way at the bottom right is my hero. What a badass.

• Candy Striper

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Oct 19, 2009 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Corey left a comment on 10/13/2010 at 4:54 PM:

Where did this dress come from? Is there anyway I could get 7 of them for my wedding party?

Julie left a comment on 10/19/2009 at 11:11 AM:

Love it!

• Newer Posts Older Posts