• Back in the Saddle

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Dec 17, 2009 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/22/2012 at 11:52 AM:

@Jeff—The shoes are Polo.

C.L. Young left a comment on 9/22/2012 at 11:27 AM:

The shoes look like Keds. Not too fond of the shoes the gentleman is wearing, although I do like a more traditional saddle styled oxford shoe. However, everything else is excellent! The cardigan is what I especially like…and the buttons really make the cardigan stand out! I am more used to seeing/having leather buttons on a cardigan. Great pairing!

Jeff left a comment on 4/23/2010 at 12:59 AM:

at least what are they called so I can wait for them to show up on ebay.

Jeff left a comment on 4/23/2010 at 12:58 AM:

WHERE CAN I GET THESE SHOES!?! i NEED them.

Christian DePrepp left a comment on 1/19/2010 at 1:14 PM:

Amazing look. Unbeatable.

trm left a comment on 1/13/2010 at 1:15 PM:

Fola is that Dude!!..He always dresses fresh when i visit the NYC Rugby store.  did he get transferred to another RL store?  I havent seen him in awhile

Kwame left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 6:39 PM:

Fola lookin good man..i will be there to congratulate yu soon

S left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 2:17 AM:

Those shoes! I wish they were still available.

CLD left a comment on 12/17/2009 at 11:21 PM:

Fola looks great! I absolutely love it <3

Jack left a comment on 12/17/2009 at 7:32 PM:

everything is perfect. great post. keep em’ coming!

The Boss left a comment on 12/17/2009 at 12:58 PM:

The buttons used on this cardigan really set it off.  It’s truly amazing how the right details (i.e. buttons) can drastically add an element of class to a garment.

• Close Up and Private

Culture  

Close Up and Private is an on-going project by Sergei Sviatchenko (try saying that three times) which looks to capture the spirit of Ivy-League style, as seen through the subtle shades of the individual. Through these details a complex discourse between clothing, style, and image takes form, offering new perspectives on contemporary style and identity. I’ve curated my favorite images from Sviatchenko’s autumn/winter 2009 collection—encompassing the youthful, Ivy-League inspired style with traditionally preppy roots that Unabashedly Prep champions.

Dec 16, 2009 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Craig left a comment on 1/25/2010 at 9:51 PM:

Found some of the bracelets!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280456713100&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182
    Not exactly the same brand, but the same idea

Christian DePrepp left a comment on 1/19/2010 at 1:16 PM:

Those tie-like watchbands are sick! I need them!

Paul left a comment on 12/28/2009 at 6:40 PM:

Ahhhh - silk bracelets - Hmmmmmm—-, So, um, yeah, where are they from? huh?

Sergei left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 9:34 AM:

Paul—The watch band is Hackett vintage. But I bought it in Paris years ago.

Sergei left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 9:31 AM:

Enzo ACG—Close up and private featuring JvdF.
    Available now at RoseArk, the wrap bracelets retail starting at $220 and the wallets can be custom-ordered starting at $290 retail or via the website www.jvdf.net.

For further information:
    sales@roseark.com
    info@jvdf.net

Paul left a comment on 12/20/2009 at 8:13 PM:

where in the world can i get those regimental stripe watch bands????

Jack left a comment on 12/16/2009 at 6:24 PM:

The use of color is also an example of Prep done right - Not too ostentatious (in 95% of the images), but also not as stodgy as ‘Ivy’ or ‘Trad’(at least not in the ridiculous blogosphere definitions) Throw in some bedhead and a stale pack of Marlboros and this is what many well-dressed real Prep school students might wear.

EnzoAGC left a comment on 12/16/2009 at 3:22 PM:

The tie silk bracelets are amazing!  Where are they from?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/16/2009 at 1:52 PM:

Jack—Agreed. I feel a great Fair Isle is hard to find these days. That one isn’t trying too hard…that’s what makes is great.

jack left a comment on 12/16/2009 at 1:21 PM:

The Fair Isle in photo one is the best looking example I’ve ever seen.

• Invictus

Culture | Sports  

I’m a sucker for sports films that exhibit, at their very core, winning against all odds. It makes me feel alive—trekking that emotional journey so critical in the human experience. Invictus’ premise is bedded in the events shortly after Nelson Mandela emerged from 27 years in prison and became president of South Africa in 1994. He seized upon using a rugby World Cup the following year as an opportunity to rally the entire nation—blacks and whites—behind the far-fetched prospect of the home team winning it all. The rugby matches are well filmed and the period-replicate jerseys are a joy to take in visually. Eastwood has done it again. Invictus is a very good true story very well told.

Dec 15, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 5:01 PM:

Jay—YES!

jay Reilly left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 4:50 PM:

go springboks!

Ashlyn left a comment on 12/15/2009 at 1:18 PM:

After hearing the review on the Today Show this morning, I am even more pumped to see this. Thanks for the review! This looks fabulous. Morgan Freeman was born for this.

• Buffalo Gal

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Dec 14, 2009 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Kathie left a comment on 12/16/2009 at 11:12 AM:

I think she looks cute.

Jack left a comment on 12/14/2009 at 12:29 PM:

Agreed, I like the jacket and cap! Great shooting either way!

-Jack

The Boss left a comment on 12/14/2009 at 10:04 AM:

The cap is what stands out to me - super cute!

• Bean’s Norwegian Sweater

Prep Essentials  

Immortalized in The Official Preppy Handbook as the sweater for the prep set in the 80’s—dropped in the early 1990’s by the Maine-based outfitter—L.L. Bean reissues their Norwegian Sweater this fall to the delight of East Hampton locals and Princeton Ivy Leaguers alike. It’s popularity among the prep set was so eminent it was similar to trying to nab a copy of Take Ivy on eBay. All too often a clothier’s attempt to improve upon the classics is lackadaisical. L.L. Bean nails it though. Still expertly knit in Norway, the wide, rounded neck and signature birds-eye weave remain unchanged; however, the 80/20 poly blend of generations past has been swapped for 100-percent water-repellent wool.

It’s worth noting that although the fit seems slightly updated, if you want a slim fit that sits closer to your body, order one size down. I typically wear a medium in most of the clothiers listed on the right, but Laurie in P.R. advised me the Norwegian still runs big. The small fits perfectly in the shoulders with just enough room for my extra-slim fit Brooks Brothers oxford underneath.

Dec 11, 2009 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 1/7/2014 at 7:45 PM:

I had one in college that I wore weekly in Fall/Winter. It totally rocked with jeans or khakis, a thick pink oxford buttondown and Bean boots or tan bucks. My loser, rat bastard brother was also keen on it and kept it after I mistakenly let him borrow it once…never could get it back. Anyway, I pine for that sweater all the time.

I’ve read that since they came back to LL Bean the quality had gone down and the price gone up, both quite a bit. Anyone else care to elaborate? I’d love to get another to put into rotation along with my real Irish Aran Islands Fishing Sweater.

Roger C. Russell II left a comment on 11/25/2013 at 5:58 PM:

I have not been without the Norwegian sweater in my wardrobe for the past 32 years. I am 46 years old one of these sweaters will last your entire life. I am often in weather in the teens and always survive it well do to this sweater. If Bean ever changes it we will know then that there is no hope for us anymore. Single best piece of clothing I have ever purchased.

Nigel left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 11:27 PM:

+1 on a picture. I’d like to see you wearing it so I can gauge the fit. Thanks.

Ian T.A. Whitson IV left a comment on 8/22/2010 at 1:46 PM:

I picked up one at a local thrift shop after seeing it in the window. Mint condition, my size, five dollars.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/14/2009 at 11:05 AM:

The Boss—I’d be glad to. Let me get to work on this.

The Boss left a comment on 12/13/2009 at 12:04 PM:

Mr. Castleberry—Do you mind posting a photo of yourself wearing it? It is a nice sweater, but perhaps you can enlighten all of us with an actual photo that showcases it’s true fit.

• Newer Posts Older Posts