• Going Brogue, Not Broke

Style | Prep Essentials  

Can’t muster the $600 for brand new wingtips? A used pair can tide you over until you’re ready to splurge. Give them a good shine and outfit them with cedar shoe trees (because the last guy probably didn’t). I grabbed these Cole Haan wingtips for $20 at a little thrift store called eBay. Wear them with jeans and your favorite button down oxford—the intrinsic character of your new-to-you kick-around brogues will take care of the rest.

Buy used and finish what the other guy started

Feb 19, 2010 | Permalink (26) View/Leave Comments

Kristin left a comment on 2/6/2013 at 4:04 PM:

My Dad always kept cedar shoe trees in his wing tips.  I kept one of his pairs, probably as old as me and I wish I could get my husband to wear them, they are his size.  Every time I see them in the closet I am reminded to take good care of my own shoes!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/18/2012 at 10:00 PM:

@Jake—You’re going to need to be persistent with eBay. I have saved searches in which eBay emails me every morning with new listings. Try that. It will increase your chances of coming across a pair like this.

Jake left a comment on 6/18/2012 at 5:32 PM:

Any idea where I can find a pair like this? I’ve looked through ebay, haven’t been successful. I do have a pair of Preston wingtips from J. Crew which are pretty nice, but dare I say I like these even better…

UNCMN left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 10:06 AM:

Just picked these up too! Slightly more than what you paid, but hey whatevs.

gioforeal left a comment on 3/6/2010 at 11:41 PM:

I procured a gently used pair of black A.E. wingtips on Ebay last winter for about $20 and rocked ‘em with my H&M jeans ever since,I get tons of comments ,some complimentary and some less so….this Winter I spent $18 on English heels,and now they look really good,also due to the fact I insist on Woodlore shoe trees and Meltonian shoe cream-holla!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/23/2010 at 1:14 PM:

KGS—I suppose I could re-craft these brogues. I guess it’s just my prerogative, but I just simply don’t want to…it might detract from the luster of the $20 purchase.  I like the pair “as is” and am not concerned with the previous owner’s sweat on the inside, etc.  I’m going to keep scrimping and saving for a pair by Sid Mashburn.

nerdyCOOL.com left a comment on 2/23/2010 at 9:41 AM:

@KGS - I would definitely take my shoes in to AE to get redone. I’m actually wearing a pair of AE McCallisters I bought for $20 today. I’ll be sending them in to get the full treatment.

It’s definitely a deal.

Pickles & Coffee left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 11:04 PM:

I am sooooo jealous.. not only are they really dope… like perfect. but 20$ i thought i was supercool pickin up some shoes for 7$, but they werent nearly as cool as those

www.picklesandcoffee.com

Jeff Sipper left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 4:34 PM:

Nice find!  I picked up a pair of Nettleton Longwigs over at Ebay… $10+Shipping http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs193.snc3/20071_277762949140_556264140_3552871_8219975_n.jpg

KGS left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 12:05 PM:

Lovin the brogues F.E. I actively search eBay for the same type of deals…my closet is full of half price new Allen Edmonds. Though, Ive never bought used. The whole sweat/wear issue is something I cant get over. Re-soling and getting a shine is one thing, but what would you do for the inside of the shoes? Ive though of buying AE’s on the cheap and using their recrafting services for $90. Buying $300 shoes for $25 and then recrafting to get what is ultimately a new pair of shoes (recorked, stripped and redone leather, etc.) is a deal in itself as well. Thoughts?

Sam left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 11:28 AM:

Just picked up a pair of cordovan florsheim wingtips on ebay - I made an ebay rss feed that automatically picks up all results for “wingtip brogue florsheim 12D vintage” so I can look through them on google reader without hassle. Ah, internet.

Speedmaster left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 8:13 AM:

Those are beauties, GREAT find!  ;-)

spoozy left a comment on 2/20/2010 at 3:58 PM:

@ F.E. Castleberry: you´re totally right. And hell, if only i could attend a Vampire Weekend shoe…i´d even go with bare feet :)

JRS left a comment on 2/20/2010 at 9:28 AM:

Great shoes.  I have a pair of brown Cheaney medallion captoes that I use for exactly this reason.

nerdyCOOL left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 4:47 PM:

F.E. Castleberry - YES, i was so excited.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 3:58 PM:

Nerdy Cool—Alden tassel loafers for under $50?  That’s a find.

nerdyCOOL left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 3:47 PM:

Whoa! I’m jealous, and I just put those on my eBay saved searched list.

I’ve picked up a three pairs of Allen Edmonds and an awesome pair of Alden Tassel loafers over the past two months off of eBay (all for under $50 each), but I still haven’t found the killer brown brogues.

What search query did you use if you don’t mind me ask.

www.nerdycool.com

wingtip blog left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 3:40 PM:

Perfect.  IMO, the heart of a great wardrobe should be an old pair of brown wingtips, scruffs and all.  Buff and shine occasionally, resole when needed, but most of all - wear with love!

Justin left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 1:11 PM:

I bought a used pair of Allen Edmonds cognac medallion cap toes 7 years ago - they were at least 7 years old at that point - and they are by far my favorite pair.  The character inherent in their experience shines through on a daily basis.  I will continue to resole them every 3 or 4 years until they just can’t take it anymore.

jkl left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 1:11 PM:

Put a light aftermarket insole in them…works wonders for the fit.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 12:44 PM:

Great buy! They look great.

spoozy left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 12:15 PM:

A really nice pair of shoes, just about the perfect age: worn, but still plenty of life in them.

But there is one major issue you have to be aware of when buying worn shoes: normally these kind of shoes are built with a cork sole between the inner and outer leather sole. This cork sole adopts to the shape of your feet when wearing them. Saying that, it is clear that the cork sole has already adopted to another pair of feet, which might be different from yours. Hence the fit of such a shoe does not only depend on the last and width of the shoe, but on the foot-shaped cork sole, too. Lucky you if that does not cause problems - poor you if they don´t…

Anyway, if fit is not of utmost interest to you, you can really grab a bargain…

Randi left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 11:37 AM:

One of my favorite vintage finds? Salvatore Ferragamo brogues for $28. Good as gold.

Schorsch left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 11:14 AM:

The best part?  You don’t have to care when you inevitably scuff them.  Scuffed is better than unscuffed, but it’s hard to get over that first ding on new shoes.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 10:30 AM:

Love them. A fabulous find that make me slightly envious. Ok, more than slightly.
    When do I get my shoe post??

Will left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 10:28 AM:

Great find!

• Damned Dapper

Style | Culture  

Christian Chensvold, who authors Ivy Style, recently contributed his talents to The Rake on the origins, philosophy and specifics of the "go-to-hell" aesthetic. It’s an enlightening pursuit into the nearly defunct WASP culture who’s dress is now a mainstream commodity. Swing by Ivy Style for the read or download the PDF as it appears in The Rake (the photography, featured below, is top drawer).

This particular Ralph Lauren club tie (in wool) is one of the go-to ties in my wardrobe. It looks brilliant with almost anything.

Images via The Rake

“[Bostonians on Martha’s Vineyard] had their own tribal colors. The jackets were mostly navy blazers, and the ties were mostly striped ties or ties with little jacquard emblems on them, but the pants had a go-to-hell air: check and plaids of the loudest possible sort, madras plaids, yellow-on-orange windowpane checks, crazy-quilted plaids, giant houndstooth checks, or else they were a solid airmail red or taxi yellow or some other implausible go-to-hell color. They finished that off with loafers and white crew socks or no socks at all. The pants were their note of Haitian abandon...at the same time the jackets and ties showed they had not forgotten for a moment where the power came from.”

—Tom Wolfe

Feb 18, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

cassdy k left a comment on 1/2/2011 at 11:10 PM:

I like the second picture. Epitome of a go to hell look. I prefer preppy looks over street anytime. Thank you for posting this one Sir. Guys should bring back this style this year.

Prepster81 left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 8:53 PM:

These photos are fantastic. What store are the clothes from?

jack @ www.thisisnotnew.com left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 12:01 AM:

great post btw haha

Openzedoor left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 7:40 PM:

Anyone who can carry pants like that and look the world in the eye has got balls, in my book.
    Makes for a striking collection of images though, which is surely what this post is about, seeing as the article itself can be found elsewhere.

www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

Robin left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 6:45 PM:

This may be my favorite Unabashedly Prep post yet! I love everything about this. Thanks F.E.C.

james left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 5:17 PM:

Great photos. Nice tailoring and perfect combos. The green shorts rock.

CLG23 left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 2:47 PM:

well written, I think me and The Boss found it from the same place yesterday. By far my favorite style/lifestyle it reminds me so much of home, Palm Beach, Florida.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 1:53 PM:

Nice pics. My favorite was the last one, the guy in his yellow pants.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 11:47 AM:

I love those red drivers and that club tie!

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 11:11 AM:

These pictures made my day.

The Boss left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 10:26 AM:

Great article! I read it yesterday, though.

• Andy Warhol

Culture  

“We had a really good talk with the senator. Robert Redford’s his best friend. He’s keeping his romance a secret because it’s only forty days left till his divorce. Bianca is all over him.”

—Andy Warhol (Sunday, September 5, 1982—Montauk diary entry)

Andy Warhol at Peter Beard’s Montauk house, image via Peter Beard

Feb 17, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

susan left a comment on 12/28/2010 at 9:52 AM:

which senator is he speaking of? I have a pretty good idea who…

Randi left a comment on 2/20/2010 at 1:28 PM:

Everything about this is crazy genius! Warhol is super cool.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 1:32 AM:

Michael,

The oversized oxford does indeed need that “I don’t give a damn” nonchalance that artists typically radiate.

Michael M. left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 10:04 PM:

I think this photo is amazing but the oversized “not giving the least bit of care” shirt only seems to look good on gorgeous women and famous creative people that really didn’t care.

CLD left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 9:58 PM:

Always will be one of my favorites.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 8:25 PM:

I mut say I agree with F.E.C. The skull runs a very important roll in this picture. This is indeed a very good Warhol photo.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 5:15 PM:

The skull is what makes this brilliant! Well, that and Andy’s university stripe oxford.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 4:39 PM:

Cool style minus the human skull!

jack @ www.thisisnotnew.com left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 3:22 PM:

wearing levis! great photo

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/17/2010 at 12:04 PM:

His style is simple looking but amazing! Looks like some sort of crazy preppy, in a good way!

• JvdF Tie Bracelets

Style  

Two years ago, Justin von der Fehr stumbled upon a vintage crocodile billfold (circa 1950) that had been passed down to him from his grandfather. This singular piece served as inspiration for his collection of men’s wallets and bracelets. Each piece is made by hand using lizard or crocodile (by special request) and vintage repp stripe silk with contrast stitching. Although Von der Fehr began his career in fashion as a male model, his penchant for details and materials led him to create his own accessories under the JvdF moniker.

A number of you ladies and gentlemen have been curious about these silk tie bracelets since being featured in Sergei Sviatchenko’s Close Up & Private photography collection. Starting at the end of February, JvdF Tie Bracelets will be carried in Paul Smith boutiques in London, Paris and Milan. The most convenient way to get one around your wrist is to email them at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). They will fulfill your order directly and ship worldwide.

Feb 16, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

bunette left a comment on 2/24/2010 at 8:56 PM:

I always love bracelets, I’ve got a big crush on these ones .. love the colors!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/22/2010 at 3:11 AM:

JvdF—Thank you for sharing the origins of how your line is crafted.  I think it answers the questions posed within the comments of the readers.

JvdF left a comment on 2/20/2010 at 1:59 PM:

Just to throw my two cents in - I appreciate very much the comments listed. For those that are questioning the price - what is not mentioned is that in each color way, there will only be about 100 made. Ever. The silks used are truly vintage, (from the 60’s) not made three months ago and called vintage. Each is hand cut and hand stitched just as a proper tie before the sterling and lizard/crocodile finishes are added. The intention of my line is that everything is a collectors item, made to order and not available to the masses. My craftsmen are extraordinary and I value their time and efforts a great deal. So, no - this is not something you can find at Rugby stores at a cheaper price, but they do carry a fantastic selection of similar items of a different variety.

Peter left a comment on 2/19/2010 at 8:09 AM:

I have to agree with the comment made by Jody!  I bought one after seeing them on “close up and private”, the wrap is like something out of a Hermes vintage store, beautiful!  BTW, great blog!

Sam left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 1:28 PM:

Have to agree with Will- $225 is very pricey.The material used is very small- and with outer stitching…

Jack Bollier left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 10:55 PM:

Super chic

rose left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 4:41 PM:

If I had gotten a $20 rugby bracelet for my 30th birthday I would have given it back, but a $225 jvdf wrap is something I will treasure for a lifetime…

F21 or Rugby RL can help you get the look, but true luxury comes at a price!!!

magnolia left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 4:37 PM:

I agree - you MUST see these amazing pieces in person. To die for- so chic

Jody left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 4:33 PM:

The quality and attention to detail is what justifies the price, which is not that high at all. There is a HUGE difference between what you can buy at a “Rugby Ralph Lauren” store and a store like Paul Smith or Hermes- Which in fact is where this collection belongs. It like eating Dominos pizza as compared to Mozza- its all pizza but one is a hell of a lot better than the other.

You get what you pay for quality materials, quality product.

ACB left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 4:31 PM:

You must see them in person before comparing them to RL or Brooks Brothers… they’re not even close to identical (only similarity is they all go on your wrist)!!! JvdF bracelets are gorgeously handmade from vintage silk and are completely unique. I have one & think its worth every penny!!!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 3:44 PM:

Really beautiful, but the price is too high. I’ll stick to my Brooks Brothers watchbands instead.

noelle left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 3:43 PM:

A guy friend of mine actually got two as a gift and he wears them all the time. They’re super chic and look really special and well made not mass produced.

N Ward IV left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 2:16 PM:

I agree with Will. The Rugby Ralph Lauren Stores sell identical bracelets in the stores. They are about 10-20 bucks. I have a ton of them from the Georgetown store and they are great! (unless you have to have the croc or snake)

Will left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 1:46 PM:

$225? I would like to see the justification…

• Coldplay

Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Feb 15, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Openzedoor left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 7:28 PM:

The girl looks good, apart from the ripped denim, and prior to this post I thought rugby was a game played with a funny shaped ball. Or the name of a brand of cement.

So for me the post has done its job.

It has also got you all talking.

www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

abc left a comment on 2/16/2010 at 9:44 AM:

on the fence…

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 9:40 PM:

I haven’t seen this pic before, so thank you for posting it.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 4:26 PM:

The Boss—I plan on bringing some of the photographs that were featured on Rugby’s blog.  Many of my readers probably aren’t aware of the Rugby feature.

spoozy left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 2:51 PM:

Just plain and simple…nothing wrong with that.

The Boss left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 2:31 PM:

CLG23—I completely agree. In fact, light denim in the winter months is a no-no for me altogether. It’s a personal preference, though.

CLG23 left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 1:58 PM:

I think its funny when people wear “ripped jeans” when its cold. Dont the rips act as vents to let in cold air?
    but that jacket is hot

• Newer Posts Older Posts