• Knot It Like An Italian

Style  

The button down oxford (read: button down collar) and the repp tie are the foundation of my wardrobe. It’s the prep set uniform. One hundred percent of the time I’m knotting up the unstudied four-in-hand knot. It’s a quick tie that is offhand at the sake of being precious. In fact, it’s so nice you can tie it twice, literally, when you reach for your spread collar shirt and suit. The knot Italians are notorious for is the same style but made by going around twice. Skip the thicker material and grab your storied repp tie for an Italian twist on an American classic. It’s finished purposely off to the left in order to manage that disheveled elegance the Italians refer to as sprezzatura. GQ shows you how.

Gianni Agnelli and grandson Lapo Elkann are two of Italy’s most recognized style icons.

Images via Salvatore Piermarini and Bruce Weber

Feb 12, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Moss left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 11:47 AM:

I think this knot is also called the Prince Albert.  I like the fuller elongated look too.

Fragrantmoments left a comment on 2/12/2010 at 3:22 PM:

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing. Off to practice.

trip left a comment on 2/12/2010 at 2:07 PM:

That guy driving the boat does look pretty badass.

• My Dear Watson

Top Drawer | Culture  

Elementary.

Feb 11, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Adrien M. Hansel left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 1:43 PM:

shes amazingly attractive!!!!

MB left a comment on 2/15/2010 at 2:24 AM:

I’m starting to love her. I saw her on a Burberry ad today at the mall and all I could say was “wow!”

Fredrik left a comment on 2/13/2010 at 4:56 AM:

She is indeed amazingly beautiful.

abc left a comment on 2/12/2010 at 7:42 AM:

Finally - back to the female pics…perfect.

Kwame left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 11:43 PM:

shes amazingly attractive…my word.

Kate Noelle left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 3:43 PM:

I L.O.V.E. Emma Watson. :) So good!

spoozy left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 3:34 PM:

Not that i would fall for 14 year old girls, but come on, the look she shoots is just hot…no offense, but she´s adoringly.

Mike left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 3:26 PM:

oh no….remember what happened with the last emma watson post….hopefully not again…better watch your “14” comment FEC..jk

CLG23 left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 3:05 PM:

I appreciate fully clothed beauty these days

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 2:05 PM:

Hope—In a culture where girls are forced to look older at an alarming rate, I’m not at all displeased that Miss Watson still looks 14.

Hope left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 1:53 PM:

She still looks like she’s 14.

Mike left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 12:51 PM:

I would appreciate if you would refrain from taking pictures of my dearest wife. Thank you!

Perhaps wishful thinking, but Emma is the quintessence of elegance.

Graham left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 11:45 AM:

She is becoming synonomous with top drawer fashion, I prefer her acting!

• Band of Outsiders Spring 2010

Style  

Band of Outsiders designer Scott Sternberg jokes that, as a kid growing up in Dayton, Ohio, he “stood out like a sore thumb,” dressed in head to toe Ralph Lauren. The former Hollywood agent is now one of the most buzzed about newcomers in the fashion industry. Sternberg launched Band of Outsiders in 2004, a menswear collection with quirky twists on classic staples. Ironically, girls began paying attention too—grabbing up perfectly shrunken men’s blazers and slim-cut oxford shirts in small sizes, inspiring the CFDA Fashion Award winner to launch a women’s line in 2008, cheekily named Boy.

Sternberg’s unorthodox formula for photographing his collections typically involve off beat pop culture celebrities and a Polaroid camera. His Spring 2010 collection is no exception. Leslie Mann (Knocked Up, Funny People, 17 Again), Dave Franco (Greenberg) and Donald Glover (Community) trashed a boat in Marina Del Ray, CA in Sternberg’s latest rebel-prep digs. The women’s Coated Cotton Peacoat is a standout. Visit Band of Outsiders to view the entire set of Polaroids.

Images via Band of Outsiders

Feb 10, 2010 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Alix left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 10:42 PM:

The font in that last photo is SO Wes Anderson.  Love it all.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 6:13 PM:

Sunshine—Every brand projects the fantasy that we all own boats and need to buy nautical clothes because traditionally, the season immediately after winter is “resort”.  Resort is for those who can afford to head for warmer weather during winter and sail, boat, etc.  Designers cater to that fantasy through their collections.

knitxcore left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 2:07 PM:

i adore band of outsiders. sternberg is a genius.

sunshine left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 1:56 PM:

FEC - why does every brand have to feel like we all own boats and need to by nautical clothes?

Connetiquette left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 12:39 PM:

Kind of obsessed with these Polaroids. What a wonderfully quirky way to photograph a collection.

The Boss left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 10:48 AM:

When they first released their Spring ‘10 lookbook, I was instantly drawn to the white summer suit; pair that with a navy woven and you’re good to go.

• Toggle the Mind

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Feb 9, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

stephanie left a comment on 2/18/2010 at 10:18 AM:

Kennedy looks good!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 5:53 PM:

True Heritage—I assumed most were familiar with the interchange between “duffle” and “toggle”.  I appreciate the spirit of education—keep it up.

Skip left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 1:47 PM:

Great coat!

True Heritage left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 1:46 PM:

is it straining or educating on the most classic of items?

The Boss left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 10:42 AM:

The terms “toggle” and “duffle” are interchangeable when referring to the coat. Relax, guys.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 8:40 PM:

I used “toggle” for the sake of the entry’s title—yes, the proper name for the coat is duffle due to wool’s origin in the town of Duffel (Belgium)...no need to strain at gnats guys.

True Heritage left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 8:20 PM:

Duffle coat is the correct name for this coat, originally made in tan.  The word toggle only refers to the closures.  But nobody said this was a correct terminology blog.  Great photo.

CLD left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 3:48 PM:

Kennedy looks absolutely awesome. boots complete the outfit.

spoozy left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 3:36 PM:

A very nice coat, indeed…is “toggle” coat the american name for it? I always thought such a coat would go by the name of “Duffle” coat…anyway, a really lovely outfit. Nothing exceptional, but a very reasonable combination…

The Boss left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 2:59 PM:

KGS—Both the toggle coat and bag are from Rugby. FYI, it’s indicated right below the photo.

robdarko left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 2:02 PM:

Cordovan boots?  Very choice.

KGS left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 12:39 PM:

Diggin’ the toggle coat and bag. Know the make of either one?

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 12:17 PM:

Hey I know this guy! He works at the Rugby store downtown. He definitely knows how to put an outfit together. The toggle coat is definitely my favorite piece. The navy with khaki toggles and a little red on the interior of the hood looks perfect.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 11:24 AM:

I like this picture. I think he looks great. Nice coat, nice bag, nice tie. Very Good!

• Dartmouth Bimmer

Top Drawer | Style  

Style transcends clothes...

Image via Mike Reinhardt

Feb 8, 2010 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

erik left a comment on 9/15/2012 at 10:52 AM:

Awesome, what no one has seemed to have picked up on is the sunshine daydream dead sticker above the darthmouth sticker. Its not all lester lanin!

Rog left a comment on 7/12/2012 at 12:30 PM:

so legit

Benton left a comment on 5/17/2012 at 11:02 AM:

love the car!, but are they surfing lake winnipesaukee?

Jay Hopkins left a comment on 2/24/2010 at 8:02 PM:

There is a strong possibility that I’m going to Dartmouth in the fall.

Andy left a comment on 2/11/2010 at 9:53 AM:

Great pic and a great car.  Missing my ‘91 M5 right now almost as much as warm weather.

thezhush left a comment on 2/10/2010 at 12:13 PM:

I just found you fab site thru Lonny!  Love it here…and so true….about style.

jackbenimble left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 11:47 PM:

I wish BMW would take a cue from us and make the 1 series look like the old 2002 or even the E30

Openzedoor left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 6:48 AM:

You don’t see may of these cars about these days - a true classic, and the surfboards on the roof provide the ultimate accessory.

www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

James Perry Adams left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 12:09 AM:

I’d rather have an older car like that than a brand new BMW any day.  This makes me want summer even more…which is a major accomplishment.

KGS left a comment on 2/9/2010 at 12:01 AM:

Solid.

Paige left a comment on 2/8/2010 at 10:09 PM:

I so wish I had this car now. It just screams summer.

Modern Traditionalist left a comment on 2/8/2010 at 9:07 PM:

I find this photo incredibly evocative of a time and place to which I need to escape. Now.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/8/2010 at 8:16 PM:

Very nice

Rob left a comment on 2/8/2010 at 12:33 PM:

This is where the cool’s at!

Alexander left a comment on 2/8/2010 at 11:21 AM:

Love it.

• Newer Posts Older Posts