• Airwalk

Style | Prep Essentials  

As hipsters, rappers, and fashion junkies are decked out like the Kennedys at Hyannis Port, designers are flocking to the boat-shoe-wearing trend. No rendition of the classic sailing shoe is worth walking a wet deck in other than Cole Haan’s hand-crafted boat shoe. When fashion and technology come together, it’s a beautiful thing. In the case of Cole Haan's collaboration with Nike, it’s a comfortable thing. Cole Haan’s Air Blake boasts non-visible NIKE AIR technology in the heel (spring for the current Air Yacht Club Boat; $148). It’s a brilliant rendition on the summer classic. The more salt-stained, the better.

Mar 24, 2010 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

christina left a comment on 3/27/2010 at 10:47 AM:

I too love the Cole Haan version of the classic shoe. However, I think my very favorite are the originals by Sperry. I actually use mine on my parents boat, but off the deck they work for Saturdays in NYC as well. Every mainstream brand in the world is coming out with a boat shoe nowadays, but the truly preppy at heart will always lay claim to the trend.

-www.wearingwhiteafterlaborday.com

Chris left a comment on 3/25/2010 at 2:41 PM:

I’ve been wearing these Cole Haan boaties for the last 2 years and believe me, the comfort (from the Zoom tech) is out of control!

Japeth left a comment on 3/25/2010 at 1:58 PM:

Own Sebago and Sperry and both are excellent shoes. Although the leather looks amazing on these, that price is too steep for me

annie left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 4:08 PM:

an old flame of mine wore these. while they’re obscenely comfortable, i’m a sperry or bust girl myself.  an enduring classic. and for $70, it’s okay when they’re salt-stained and gross.

love your site. this picture is fantastic!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 2:49 PM:

This are great, but my favorite are the Top-Siders. The more salt stained the better! Indeed!

Miss Taryn Cox left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 1:34 PM:

Love Topsiders and Love Your Blog! Im Unbashedly Preppy at Heart!
    Miss Taryn
    www.TarynCoxTheWife.Com

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 12:40 PM:

L.A.S.—True…but it’s still a collaboration, although a synergistic one. As you and I know, there are many logistics that have to be worked out when you bring a shoe to market, much more when it’s a shoe by two brands.

L.A.S left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 12:33 PM:

Not so much a collaboration as Nike owns Cole Haan.

Paul left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 11:57 AM:

I agree with you, the Cole Haan boat shoes are great!  The new Air Yacht Clubs out are pretty great too… only 4 colors though.

• Man’s Best Friend

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Mar 23, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

Felix Fitzgerald left a comment on 6/22/2013 at 7:16 AM:

RIP Rugby Ralph Lauren ...
    great look!

James Hilton Harrell III left a comment on 6/18/2013 at 10:53 AM:

I die for that cardigan.

abc left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 5:43 AM:

Great look overall.

Ali Baba left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 2:03 AM:

Is that a wig?

Jay Hopkins left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 9:33 PM:

I have loved cardigans ever since I first saw Mr. Rogers rockin them back in the day.

J Hall-Luper left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 9:21 PM:

Great look perfect for everyday. Had a cardigan on myself today.

Side note, I have to agree about the sleeve length of the Ruehl oxfords. I just thought there was something wrong with me.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 8:41 PM:

The Boss—That’s right…looks similar. RIP RUEHL (your oxford sleeves were always too long).

Nathaniel left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 8:01 PM:

Effortless.

KFad left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 4:16 PM:

How serendipitous, I happen to be wearing a cardigan and a knit tie today.

The Boss left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 11:49 AM:

The Rugby bulldog looks exactly like the RUEHL (RIP) bulldog they used to plaster all over their clothing.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 11:13 AM:

Very well put together! Cardigans are a must-have in my wardrobe. I’ve been wearing them for years now and it doesn’t look like I’m going to stop anytime soon. A perfect layering piece indeed!

CLG23 left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 10:44 AM:

Nice ruby cardigan

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 10:35 AM:

Cardi Cardi Cardi! Cardigans always makes a spring ensemble so much better. It just pulls everything together without trying so hard. No one wants to look like there trying. Two thumbs up for the Spring Cardigan. Thanks FE. JCrew also has some good ones.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 10:03 AM:

Very nice picture. I like everyting here, I like the knit tie!

• Ruffled

Dress Code  

Photographed in Greenwich, CT

Mar 22, 2010 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

slp left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 5:44 PM:

Does any one know who makes the shoe? Those are cute!

Andy left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 11:17 PM:

Am I the only one who loves the popped collar on her?

CLG23 left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 10:33 AM:

ohh wow
    yes…this, I love

c left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 6:18 AM:

Smoking hot…smoking hot attitude…not a fan of ruffles but she can wear my khakis anytime…

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 5:48 PM:

I like her look. I like everything here. Hot girl by the way.

georgie left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 2:54 PM:

no they aren’t men’s khakis, they’re rugby boyfriend chinos. i love her pants

trip left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 2:33 PM:

Are those men’s khakis?  Regardless, I’m down with it.

M left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 1:56 PM:

1. Proportionally the popped collar makes sense with the high waters 2. The popped collar was not invented by Midwestern public school fratboys 3. She’s a fox, she could wear a burlap sack with attitude.

abc left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 11:12 AM:

Everything except the shirt… especially the attitude

• Cheap Trick

Style | Prep Essentials  

Thanks to a recent tip by Valet, I was on the hunt for a classic oxford on the cheap at an unlikely retailer—JCPenney. I walked away with six for less than a pair of scalped Vampire Weekend tickets. This prep essential, by American Living, hints at the inspiration behind Rugby’s S/S 11 oxford line I recently previewed. And it is not without coincidence. The line is created exclusively for the department store by Ralph Lauren. Barrel cuffs, button down collar (w/third button), chest patch pocket, split pleated back yoke and pastel color-ways make them perfect for spring. The only thing it doesn't share with its Rugby cousin is a locker loop, but at $19.99 it’s a small oversight.

You can order them online but venture into the stores for a wider selection of stripes and solid cotton collars. They run a tad big guys so grab one size down. As for you ladies, just grab a small and pair the over-sized oxford with a pleated chino short and an espadrille heel. Stop in while the Huge Sale is still going to save even more or use the promo code “sur10mar” if ordering online.

Mar 20, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Chris R left a comment on 4/8/2011 at 6:03 PM:

Just tried these on at my local jcpenny.  If you size down they are a good fit, however then the neck is too small.  I am a pretty true medium or 15.5 34/35 and I bought two size smalls.  Great for a casual option my total after tax was 43 and change.  Cant button nck but everything else works.  Medium was huge mostly in the arms.

Chris R left a comment on 3/18/2011 at 2:02 PM:

are these shirts fitted at all or really boxy I have seen them in the store and never tried on.  They look a little boxy.  Please let me know about the body of the shirt.  Are they tappered at the sides at all?

CLG23 left a comment on 3/25/2010 at 4:25 PM:

picked up one today, after reading this article rentured into Penny’s and you literally cant beat that price.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 11:25 PM:

KGS—The quality of the oxford cloth feels the same as my Rugby oxfords (I assume they could be made in the same factory). The logo doesn’t even touch your skin sans undershirt because it’s sewn onto the pocket, not the body.

Pewter left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 3:12 AM:

Really nice oxfords. A pity they only deliver in USA..

KGS left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 3:59 PM:

F.E. - hows the material on these? Does the oxford cloth feel much like RL’s do? I sport the RL/Rugby oxfords often so I’m curious to know. Also, is the logo annoyingly rough during wear sans the undershirt? Key factor, IMO.

Perfectly Askew left a comment on 3/22/2010 at 2:20 AM:

I have been wearing these shirts for quite some time. Initially I hated the logo. However, after sometime, the logo began to have a certain charm about it. Plus, if you hit it at the right time they can go on sale for about $6.00. I have even gotten a few for $2.00.

Cant argue with that.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 4:54 PM:

To those who dislike the embroidered logo, does it differ that much to a polo player and horse? A skull and bones?Or hanging sheep? I think not. In fact, because this logo has less recognition, I’ve enjoyed the mystery it provides in “who” I’m wearing. Take or leave the logo, this oxford shirt still makes a great layering piece.

For those of you asking about other items in the American Living collection, I am not endorsing anything else in the line save the oxford shirting (and only the oxford shirting because of the nice price). Would I pay $50 (retail) for this shirt? No. I’d just shell out the extra $10 for a Rugby oxford.

Stephen left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 11:58 AM:

The giant eagle logo is my main gripe, but otherwise they look great. I noticed they have some inexpensive chinos. Do they run big as well? I noticed that they are merely straight leg and not a slim or in a “university cut” like Rugby.

The Boss left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 10:44 AM:

Speaking of deals… I recently picked up three Steven Alan woven shirts for $19.99 a piece.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 10:25 AM:

I did come across this line before and I had no idea that Ralph Lauren was behind it. They do have some nice pieces.

• Pierrepont Hicks SS10 Look Book

Style | Miscellany  

Photographed in New York, NY

Photographs: F.E. Castleberry
    Styling: F.E. Castleberry
    Ties: Pierrepont Hicks
    Shirting: Biased Cut
    Models: Samuel, Omar & Shaun

Mar 19, 2010 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

hearblack left a comment on 3/24/2010 at 11:31 AM:

always such great photos and ideas here, thanks

Kwame left a comment on 3/23/2010 at 5:34 PM:

awesomeee

www.itshisyachtclub.blogspot.com

melindamichelle left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 12:12 PM:

Wow….these are amazing captures! Straight out of a campaign.

kat left a comment on 3/21/2010 at 8:49 AM:

Once again, Fred shows us his amazing skills at nailing the point-of-view of our Pierrepont Hicks brand. Already planning Fall’s shoot. Thank you Fred.

damien left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 9:54 PM:

Interesting double tie look even though its one tie. Great shots.

Leo Bojesen left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 7:49 PM:

totally love it every time!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 6:52 PM:

Great pictures, they are really beautiful.

Maria left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 6:33 PM:

As always, great work, Fred!

lydia left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 6:26 PM:

i love the bow ties…but more importantly, your amazing work, always always!!

CLD left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 5:23 PM:

I completely agree with Sunday- the corn on the cob is priceless!! I love it all!! So great! Those are some good lookin’ boys!

LaNita left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 3:34 PM:

I love that you used your hipstamatic app! Beautiful images!

pitboss12 left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 2:57 PM:

Great closeup of the bowtie.  The colors really come through.

Sam left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 1:44 PM:

These guys make me feel like a fatty.

coreymatthews left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 11:25 AM:

Fred, your killin it Im diggn the vintage feel in NYC and the way you captured it was pretty fly my man.

Eric left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 11:17 AM:

Great stuff!  I love the light leak shots.

raya left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 11:17 AM:

Spot on. I love the attitude - fantastic photos.

janine left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 11:14 AM:

Love it Fred! Especially the first one and the last two.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 3/19/2010 at 10:13 AM:

FECast the shots look amahhhhazing! I love how candid they are while still being fashion. My favorite it is the corn on the cob.

• Newer Posts Older Posts