• Back in the Fold

Style  

The thing about money is that it’s nice that you have it. You’re not excited to get it. You don’t talk about it. It’s like the golden retriever by the chair–when you reach out for it it’s there. This Ettinger Bridle Hide Billfold will not only hold your Benjamins and MetroCard but it’ll quietly ensure you look good when you reach back for them. Be quick to pick up small tabs–for drinks, taxis and such. Your friends need only remember the frequency of your generosity, not the amount.

Founded by Gerry Ettinger over 70 years ago, the company is still family owned and run by his elder son, Robert Ettinger. They are one of the few remaining British luxury leather goods companies still manufacturing in the UK. Quality is inherent—it takes at least five years to fully train a new Ettinger craftsperson.

Impress your friends with more than your generosity the next time you grab the bill. Ettinger of London and Unabashedly Prep are teaming up to give away this handsome billfold ($180 value) to one lucky reader. Simply jot down on the stationary below your most memorable experience courtesy of your friends’ picking up the tab (valid email address required, giveaway ends April 21, 2010). If you win, you’ll owe them one.

Congratulations are in order for Bonhuer, our Ettinger contest giveaway winner. He is gladly gifting the wallet to his best friend who insisted on picking up the tab the entire week they were in Scotland.

"My best friend surprised me by insisting to picking up the tab for the week we were in Scotland. He’s British, so I think he was just pleased to see someone so unreservedly excited about lakes and castles and highland cows. Stopping at the Lodge on Loch Lomond for tea is one of my favorite memories to date. He is moving to Pakistan for work this summer so this would be a nice gift when I pick up the tab for one last hurrah in Houston the weekend before he goes."

Apr 16, 2010 | Permalink (43) View/Leave Comments

Jonathan left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 11:37 AM:

The day our agency won our largest beer account ever. The agency bought out the pub; anyone and everyone who had a pulse ate and drank for 24hrs straight. An extra truck was called in to bring more beer from the brewery (we’re in Colorado) and the rumor is that the tab made the pub’s nut for 2 months.

It was great to see a business look after their employees… and complete strangers to celebrate a win.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/25/2010 at 4:44 PM:

James—Ettinger does indeed produce card holders cash clips.

corey left a comment on 4/24/2010 at 11:51 PM:

I recently flew to LA, and drove to Santa Barbara and hung out in Long Beach, I wanted to shoot more scenics but I really didn’t want to try and stop and shoot here and there while driving in LA, my friend she drove me all over LA, Hollywood, and Bel air to shoot some of the coolest scenics the ended the night with a great dinner at Katsuya and it was on her her treat!!

Amy left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 10:45 PM:

February 14, 2010. 4:45 PM. My desk was strewn, not with red rose petals, cards gushing words of love, nor over-priced heart-shaped boxes of chocolate, but with loose pages of problem sets, pictures from the last girl’s night out, and empty coffee cups. As I stood gazing at these artifacts of my life as a single lady, my door flew open as my best friend X barged in. I cannot describe my relationship with X as one that was purely platonic, nor did I really want to continue describing it that way. So I couldn’t help greeting him with a monotone “Hey.” He responded with a oddly goofy yet bashful smile on his face and dragged me out of the dorm and into the car with no explanation whatsoever. Before I knew it, I was engaged in our usual teasing banter, but this time I was facing him, not at a dining hall table, but over a candle lit table strewn with rose petals and plates of halibut and veal. The Valentine’s Day specials that we ordered came with a hefty Valentine’s Day price, but X pulled out his ridiculous home-made duck tape wallet and said “I got it, don’t worry about it” and ignored my protests. I was still “worrying” about the nights events and X’s odd behavior during the car ride back, with Beyonce’s Single Ladies playing in the background. He suddenly pulls over, grabs my left middle finger, and slips an obnoxiously large faux pink diamond ring on it and says “I like you so I’m going to put a ring on it. Will you go out with me?” He is now my best friend and boyfriend. I hope that when we dine out, he can pull out a handsome billfold instead of a home-made wallet. It’s the least I can do.

Brian left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 9:52 PM:

First job.  Worked at a summer camp off of Sebago lake.  All-day long, teach boys how to play baseball, swim in a straight line, sweep the cabin.  Hot sun, cool lake.  It was great.  We made a pittance, but at nights we’d build a fire and the counselors from the all-girl camp would drive over and drink beers, so even though we could barely afford beers, we probably would’ve worked for even less than a pittance.  The night after camp ended, two months in, the boss took us out for lobsters and corn on the cob at the best damn lobster shack in Maine.  First time I’d ever had lobster.  10 years later, I’ve seen expense accounts drained and I’ve had friends and strangers pick up tabs.  But that dinner, the capper to a flawless summer, that was the best.

PjM left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 9:00 PM:

While hosting a visting “lecturer” on campus I asked her if she would live to join some of us for drinks at one of my favorite bars.  As we made our way though martini after martini (she exclusively drinking cosmos, which she helped popularize), she said “lets play a game to see who picks up this tab”- the rules were simple- add up all the digits of your credit card and whoever’s number was the highest paid.  I, sadly, had the highest number.  As a stuggling college student I was less than excited to be pick up the tab of 8 people liberally drinking martinis for two hours.  As the bill was brought to the table our visiting guest saved my second semester college tuition and threw down a black-card; to which the waitress replied, “I’m sorry Ms., we don’t take American Express”.  The visitor looked at her, said my name is “X”, please charge this to the university.  The waitress went to the manager, the manager looked at us- and then had a round of shots sent over.

StacyfrPgh left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 8:38 PM:

23 years ago, I was pregnant with my first baby. She decided to come into the world almost 8 weeks early. We lived in a small town in Maine, about 5 hours from Boston where there were much better hospitals. My dear father said he would pay for any medical care or flights that his first granddaughter needed. This eased my mind and allowed me to concentrate on getting our girl well.  He picked up the extra expenses and best yet, paid for my rare single room in the maternity floor so I could be near my little one. Thanks, JFS.

Janice left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 8:07 PM:

My father bought me my first car about 10 years ago. It was a 1990 Corolla (nothing too special), and I have since bought a better car, but it was and still is the greatest gift of my life. I feel as if the rush of joy I got when my dad said “I paid for it this morning” can never again be replicated.

JJ left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 7:54 PM:

A few weeks ago, one of my fraternity brothers took my pledge class out to dinner at a fairly nice restaurant. We were finishing up the pledging process, and I guess he wanted to congratulate us for making it through the semester. Ironically, he was also our pledgemaster and was the one that hazed us the worst throughout the semester, acting borderline cruel at times. Anyways, every person ordered an entree of about $30 dollars—and there were fourteen of us—so he basically paid $420 for all of us without even including tax. Afterwards, we all went to a bar to hang out for a bit, and he treated us all to drinks, probably $300 worth, which resulted in a few of us becoming topless by the end of the night running around the bar and causing a scene. It was definitely a bonding experience, and because of that night, I can sincerely say that my pledge class contains thirteen of my very best friends. It was undoubtedly one of the best nights of my life, and through my pledgemaster’s generosity and words of advice, I learned what true brotherhood was all about. The same pledgemaster who picked up all of our tabs recently also extended an invitation for me to go with him on a cruise to the Caribbean this summer, all expenses paid.

I want to thank him for fundamentally shaping me into a better person this semester. Although his tactics may have seemed harsh at the time of execution, I now realize his true intentions, which were to morph us and toughen us up into future leaders, devoted students, caring individuals, and most importantly, caring comrades. As you can probably tell, he was born into a wealthy family, but he is absolutely the most ambitious, generous, and wise person I know. No matter how busy he is, he always will find time to help out a brother in need. Since he is leaving us for Yale Law School next year, I won’t see much of him in the coming years, and this wallet would be the perfect parting gift.

Eliza left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 9:45 AM:

For our school’s choir trip to Italy, each of the students sold candy bars and the amount we sold got deducted from our bill. When I sold some to a family friend he asked how much I needed for the trip out of curiousity. I told him and the next day there was a check in my mailbox covering the entire trip.

Marie left a comment on 4/21/2010 at 8:35 AM:

Out for an evening with a friend a handsome young man picked up the tab for our cocktails-in a year he was my husband.

D Baker left a comment on 4/19/2010 at 1:51 PM:

It was our wedding day, and as most couples we didn’t take the time to stop and eat at all. We left the reception and we were starving. We went to Applebees in full dress (amazing dress, and Ralph Lauren tux), and ate a most delicious steak. The ticket was picked up by the manager, since everyone was so excited that we were there in our fancy “dress”. Had we have known this was going to occur we would have ordered dessert :)

Michael left a comment on 4/19/2010 at 7:49 AM:

When I was in the Marine Corps, my Mother fell extremely ill to the point that I was told by my Father that I had to come home to see her as she had been transferred to an intensive care unit. She’s chronically ill but things has worsened. Being paid as an enlisted man, most of my cash was allotted to bills and such so I was flat broke like most of my buddies. I had not yet reached the rank that was allowed to have a car on base so I felt stranded and the last bus from Northern Virginia had already left for Maryland. Talking with the rest of my platoon, my fellow brother and sister Marines started pulling out bills and throwing them on the table. A $1 here, $10 there. They called a cab company explained the situation and after $110 was raised by my platoon I was able to get home to be with my family at the hospital. I will never forget the generosity and kindness of my fellow Marines. It is something that I carry with me today, as they know anytime in my life that I can help them out..I will.

Tracy left a comment on 4/19/2010 at 7:21 AM:

Simple: First time in the great city of New York, my MetroCard, paid for by my sister.

James left a comment on 4/19/2010 at 6:57 AM:

By far the most memorable treat anyone has paid me was at the hands of my brother.  In celebrating my 18th birthday, he bought me a flight to Africa, where I took part in a host of wondrous adventures.  I spent the weekend of my birthday staying at a safari lodge on the Okavango river. The actual night of my birthday was spent drinking and dancing to a live band, performing exclusively for me, in the middle of the wild.  As the clock drew nearer to the precise time upon which I was brought into this earth, we all set off onto the Okavango delta in the early hours of the morning to finish off the celebration with a casual, champagne fueled crocodile spotting session.  That is a night, and occasion, that I will forever remember. As a major in the British army,  I can only hope to match my brother’s taste, style, and generosity with a classic yet timeless Ettinger billfold.

Stephen B. left a comment on 4/18/2010 at 3:44 AM:

Several years back I had called a friend that I hadn’t seen in a while to go out for drinks after work. The time and location was set. After several rounds and many laughs, I open up and tell him that I had something I had wanted to tell him and wanted him to be the first to know. My girlfriend at the time and I had been together for a while now and I knew that she was the one for me. I showed him the engagement ring I’d bought, which was just happened to be at the same time that out waitress brought out our check, which I had every intention on paying myself. Chris grabs the check away from me and just says “It’s my treat tonight. Congratulations bro.” That is my most memorable “I’ve got this” moment.

Landon left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 10:59 PM:

One weekend after an overall awful week for me, my friends (about 12ish) convinced me to go out for food, drinks, & hookha at an upscale Persian restaurant.  At the end of the night, a $400 tab came to the table.  In efforts to completely free me of my funk, my friends handed me $500 and told me to “get the bill.”  I got to “pay the bill” and not actually pay for it!

Since, we have made it a tradition.  We call it high-roller nights and they only happen when someone is really in a funk.  It always works.

Ben left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 8:48 PM:

I remember one night in college I was walking with a couple of buddies out of the local beer store.  Pretty embarrassingly, I tripped on the sidewalk, scraping my knee, hands, and elbows.  All the while, I dropped all of the beer as the bottles broke and most of the cans spilled.

A few seconds later, a guy in his late twenties walked by.  As he saw me stumble and lose all the alcohol, he helped me up and told me he had just received an incredible job offer and wanted to buy me the beer of my choice.  He took my friends and me into the local store and bought us 5 Chimays, each (20 in all).  It was an unbelievable gesture and one I hope to bestow on some lucky person after receiving a bout of good news.

Karoline left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 8:23 PM:

When I was in high school, three of my friends and I would meet at a coffee shop downtown every Friday morning for breakfast and then walk to school.  Every once and awhile, my dad would call ahead, telling the owner of the shop to put our orders on his tab.  He always seemed to do this on days that we had big tests or projects due.  It definitely brightened our days and made the start to our weekends a little bit brighter!  I’d love to be able to give my dad that beautiful wallet to repay him for the countless times he treated my girlfriends and I.

Vanessa left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 3:10 PM:

Here’s my memorable experience:  Two friends of mine and myself wanted to go out for ice cream. We decided to go to a local diner in town where they serve huge portions of ice cream in tiny, silver goblets by a very friendly waitstaff. We laughed into the night together and had so much fun that neither of us realized that we just left the restaurant without paying the bill! 

I rushed back inside and paid our bill and left a 30% gratuity for their services and our little inconvenience.  And that is my memorable experience.

Have a good one!
    - Vanessa

allyson left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 11:05 AM:

We were on the receiving end of someone’s generosity a week ago Friday.  I have a love relationship with Michael Buble, even if he doesn’t know it, and wanted tickets to his L.A. show.  My husband mentioned this in a conversation with a business associate.  The associate made a call and bought tickets.  The only caveat was that him and his wife were going to go with us.  Not a problem.  As the date approached there was a scheduling problem with the couple and rather than blowing off the whole night and selling the tickets for what would have been a significant profit, he gave us all 4 tickets and told us to take friends.  We ended up taking a couple we haven’t seen in a long while and truly had a night to remember in some terrific seats with no cost to either couple who attended.  Would love this wallet for the man who made the call and will be celebrating his first father’s day this spring.  Great giveaway!

Dharmabum left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 9:45 AM:

I went to school in the deep south, where tradition permeates daily life.  One of my fraternity’s great traditions took place at the end of any meal we took together as brothers.  One if us, without being requested to do so, quietly took care of the check with no fanfare or self-importance.  In my four years I never heard a complaint about paying too much or too frequently, and it seemed as if everyone just had a sense of when it was their turn to pay.  One could imagine that this had an enormous impact on my development as a man.  To is day I think fondly on those times whenever one of my dining companions makes a show of paying the tab or suggests that we split our check.

N. left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 3:52 AM:

It was a long time ago but it still feels like yesterday. I visited an old friend of mine abroad for new years. As I arrived at the airport, he was there to pick me up. Was great seeing him after 10 years. We proceeded to the New Year’s party which was amazing. By chance at the strike of midnight as I stood on the balcony I met another old friend of mine. He was there with a friend of his who is a restaurant owner. We proceeded to his restaurant after the party (must have been 2-3AM). He opened the restaurant just for us and organized a beautiful candle lit dinner with Egyptian Hookah, Lebanese wine and food. Was an unforgettable new year’s!

Kelsee Reeves left a comment on 4/17/2010 at 1:12 AM:

recently a friend of mine graduated from officer candidate school for the marines. he was lucky enough to get a two week leave and came home for a visit. the whole time he was in town he picked up the tab, he payed for any gas that was used on his small day adventures, and bought drinks on one of the most memorable nights of my life. he is finally figuring out a smidgen of what he wants to do in life and is more than willing to give to his friends. this would be the best graduation/i’m proud of you gift ;)

Jordan left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 7:02 PM:

When I was 13 my family took a trip to Toronto to visit my uncle and his new wife…her dad took us all to dinner (where I had my first taste of filet minion!) and was treated to “special” drinks (cranberry & soda water) and the grownups got vintage wine that was $$$$ per bottle. He paid the entire tab, as a “belated wedding dinner”! Very impressive, to a 13-year-old!

Trevor left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 6:36 PM:

Last year a couple of my friends and I decided to spend a year abroad studying in Athens.  My internship ended early so I decided to go ahead a week early.  My first day there I went to a restaurant and struck up a conversation with the owner, who was a young Turkish refugee.  not only did he refuse payment for the meal and drinks, he let me borrow his motorcycle to see the city.  through out my time there, he was an invaluable friend who made both my and my friends time there much more enjoyable.  I will be forever in his debt.

Anne left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 6:28 PM:

The first story that popped to mind took place perhaps a year ago, when I was grabbing a quick lunch at one of the many cafes on campus.

I was in line to pay for what I think was banana bread and a chocolate milk.

When it I got to the till, I pulled out my wallet only to find there was no money in it!! I figured it fell out and was in my purse, so I moved aside and told her to help the next person as I started riffling through it. But I couldn’t find anything. How embarrassing! I looked up to tell the cashier that I was sorry, but she gave me this “don’t-you-know-you’re-making-a-scene-look” and said the fellow behind me had already paid for my lunch.

I’ve run into him since,  but I don’t think he even knows it was me that helped that day. It’s sort of what makes it so charming though, like he was being totally genuine and didn’t want to impress anybody. He may have only paid an extra three bucks, but that’s why I’ll never forget it, I think.

David left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 5:12 PM:

My wife and I took a trip to Tokyo to celebrate our 30th birthday (we share the same birth date, and it’s also our anniversary). A good friend put us up in his apartment, thus saving us a ton of money on a week’s worth of lodgings in Tokyo. The night of our birthday, he brought out a cake he had bought earlier in the day. We all shared it, then went out for an incredible dinner at a sushi/grill restaurant, where we had a private tatami room. He picked up the tab, and to this day I shudder to think of what it must have cost. Following that he took us to a weird basement bar that serves only beer from Belgium, and treated us each to a mammoth tankard (had to be 40+oz) of Hoegaarden. He paid for it all. One of the best nights of my life. We’re settled back home now, and with two kids to keep us occupied, so that crazy night in Tokyo was kind of a last hurrah. I owe him a ton for that night.

Sam Dunning left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 1:53 PM:

The most memorable story of a friend’s generosity was when I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and invited my friend Varoon along. After a $250 meal we all began pulling out our cards and cash. Varoon, somewhat inebriated, grabs the bill and shoves his card into the waitress’ hand in one fluid motion. We stumbled for words and all he said was “You guys deserve it.” The next morning I asked him if he was really okay with spending that much while he was drunk and he said “Like I said last night, you guys deserved it!” Nicest guy I know.

samueldunning@yahoo.com

Jeremy Autry left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 12:08 PM:

My best memory was a game of credit card roulette with 5 friends on a golf weekend in Raleigh. The first night out, we put all of our cards into the bread basket at the end of the dinner and asked the waiter to randomly draw a card. My good friend Pat’s card was drawn to pay the over $1000 tab. That hurts! The next night we were out to dinner again, figuring luck might be on his side after his big loss the night before (and being more than slightly drunk), Pat agreed to another round of credit card roulette. Fortunate for us, Pat was unlucky again and picked up the tab at $1200.  Explain that one to the wife. 2200 big ones.

Bonheur left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 11:48 AM:

My best friend surprised me by insisting to picking up the tab for the week we were in Scotland. He’s British, so I think he was just pleased to see someone so unreservedly excited about lakes and castles and highland cows. Stopping at the Lodge on Loch Lomond for tea is one of my favorite memories to date. He is moving to Pakistan for work this summer so this would be a nice gift when I pick up the tab for one last hurrah in Houston the weekend before he goes.

James left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 11:22 AM:

My memory is quite recent, but one I will never forget.  I took a train ride into NYC and had a wonderful day.  It went a little like this.  I had a work meeting in the morning and had plans to meet “a” friend for lunch.  When my meeting was done, I met my friend @ Bloomindales and thus begins the afternoon.  We shopped a bit on the main floor, then decided to go grab lunch @ Live Bait.  Took the subway, which I used my friends MetroCard.  By the time we got there, it went from being the 2 of us to 4 of us.  Lunch was meant to be at 1pm.  We arrived around 12:45.  One of our friends was already there; beer in hand.  So we all got a drink.  By 1pm, 4 of us were there having a drink and visiting.  1 drink lead to another, and the 4 of us turned into 5.  Another drink arrived and 5 of us turned into 6 of us.  Another drink arrived (I don’t ever remember ordering) and then 6 of us turned into 8 of us.  Did I mention the drinks kept coming.  The lunch that was meant to go from 1pm to about 2pm…lasted until food was ordered about 4pm.  Then the last drink arrived around 5pm.  That’s when the check arrived, which was covered by others, but not me.  I offered but was refused.  I invited one of my friends to come back to CT with me for dinner.  We arrived at Grand Central and I was handed a train ticket from my friend.  Bonus!  So I just had one of the most amazingly memorable days in NYC and I was taken care of, all except my train ticket out.  Now that’s called a hook up on the tab!  I only hope to repay someday.

Meg left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 10:27 AM:

I recently met up with an old friend from home for dinner.  I’m from the South originally, but moved to the DC area a few years ago.  I’m now quite used to paying my way in non-date situtions, no matter whether my dining partner is male or female.  On this particular evening, I asked for the bill to be split while my friend was using the restroom.  When he came back to the table and saw two checks, he seemed utterly horrified and snatched them both up declaring, “Darlin’, if a gentleman can’t pay for your dinner, you have no business sharing your time with him.  It doesn’t matter whether he gets a kiss or a kick at the end of the night!”

josh left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 9:47 AM:

I don’t have a good story, but if I won that dashing wallet I’d create one by pickup up the tab next time I’m out. Do I win?

CLG23 left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 9:44 AM:

A sad occasion, the passing of a high school friend brought my circle of friends back together after 2 years of college. We all went our seperate ways in search of an education. We had our rare text messages or emails and “yea, we need to get together” moments. But after the funeral we all realized that though we are young,nothing was promised, a room full of early 20 somethings, reflecting on our high school years. We all went to eat with one of our teachers from middle school. After about an hour of very good conversation, and reminiscing on the memories of our friend the check comes and our teacher picks up the tab. Refusing to let any of us “struggling college students” pay with the promise that we enjoy ouryouth and not take a day for granted. Thus I live my life knowing that the greatest gift is not attaining possesions, but being able to enjoy the moments.

Ashley left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 9:31 AM:

We have a friend who has earned the moniker, Tab Ninja.  One would think after a half dozen, “slipping to the bathroom”, that his jig would be up.  However this is not the case with the Tab Ninja.  You see,  he does not adhere to cultural norms and social etiquette like the rest of us civilized people.  From shucking a highball glass against the wall of high end steak house permeating with the aroma of leather and mahogany to perpetrating a ruse involving the Heimlich from another tables patron… the Tab Ninja always gets his mark.  Acceptable social norms be damned.

Diane W. left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 9:20 AM:

I don’t have too exciting of a story, but a few summers ago I was getting ready to go to dinner with my friends at the beach. My Dad called to check up on me (I was 18) and when I told him our plans, he called ahead and paid for everyone. It was such a sweet surprise, so now I’m entering this little giveaway to possibly win this for him. It’s a gorgeous wallet!

Kate left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 9:03 AM:

I had dinner with friends in New York last year and my dear friend Jason announced at the end of dinner that he would be picking up the tab and expensing it, our loosely related industries would help him make the case that it was a ‘business lunch.’

As a result we indulged in far more prosecco’s than normal and had an amazing night. Weeks later he confessed to me he didn’t really expense it, but wanted to take us all out on the town. He had come up with the ‘expense’ excuse because he knew in all of my stubbornness I’d never let him pick up my tab.

I’d love to give him this wallet as a thank for dinner, and for knowing me well enough to have to trick me into a free dinner!

The Preppy Puppy left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 8:40 AM:

I would love to give this billfold to my husband.  When shopping with a dear friend in a local botique, I admired a cashmere sweater.  I certainly didn’t need another sweater and walked out empty handed.  A few days later a package arrived at my office with the sweater.  That was five years ago and the sweater is still one of my favorites.

V left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 8:33 AM:

On a whole night of festivities, which are admittedly pretty rare in the life of a graduate student, one of my fellow students picked up the price for the tickets (Girl Talk!), the drinks, and the after-show snacks at our favorite pub. All in all, it was amazing mostly because I never would have planned all those things myself.

Sam left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 8:14 AM:

I was in Vegas for business and hadn’t brought anything beyond some chinos and jeans. I was invited to dinner party with my boss, vp, and another colleague. I’d worn the chinos all day, and was told I shouldn’t wear jeans. I had nothing else, and had lost $300 at the blackjack table. My boss & I were walking through the Forum Shoppes at the Venetian where I spotted a pair of grey striped trousers. I ended up getting those and a shirt, and my boss picked up the tab. He told me, “just impress the client.” At the party they passed a mic so everyone could introduce themselves. When the mic came to me, I sang Sinatra. All at the party, including some very high up, important people remembered me and we got some business from them. The $300 I lost at the tables turned into a nice outfit, and an even nicer bonus at the end of the year.

Manifold Destiny left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 8:13 AM:

One of my fraternity brothers had the unfortunate experience of finding out his father had been unfaithful to his mother. In an effort to keep his son’s affection, his dad kept paying his son’s AmEx bill, and accordingly we all got some wonderful free food and drink on sleazydad’s dime. The best was when at the end of a long night at the bar sleazydad would pick up the tab and maybe buy a round for everybody in the frat. Cheating on your wife has many consequences.

James left a comment on 4/16/2010 at 7:23 AM:

FEC-
    Do they do card holders also?  I’m a fan of carrying a card holder and a money clip.  Slimmer in one’s pocket and can be carried in the frot pocket.  2 fold reasons… 1) if your carrying your metro card, your probably in a place you can lose your wallet 2)some of us don’t need anything accentuating our back pocket. 
    -JB

• Garden Party

Culture  

Image via Slim Aarons

One of many elegant Miami garden parties in the 1970’s.

Apr 15, 2010 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

mjl left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 3:26 PM:

i’ve been to miami lots of times, during different times of the year, and i just can’t remember a time that it would have been remotely comfortable to wear that much clothing there.  so hot and stuffy.

nonetheless, that type of party still looks awesome.  sign me up.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 3:23 PM:

I’m a fan of Slim Aarons work, and this is no exception. Loving the pastel colors, and of course the string quartet milling about.

CLG23 left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 12:06 PM:

...one day i’ll achieve this status, this isnt the life of a college student.

SouthernSort left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 11:38 AM:

I hope I have enough time to have one at my home while the Azaleas are still in bloom. It is the perfect weather in south Mississippi for a garden party.

The Boss left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 9:50 AM:

LBT—Amen.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 8:33 AM:

Thankfully garden parties are still in style, and not just in Miami in the 1970s.

• Burkman Bros

Style  

Ben and Doug Burkman have been in business together since they were 11 and 12—a partnership that would carry them to far flung corners of the globe and back. Recently nominated as one of 2010’s Best New Menswear Designers in America, they developed a penchant for stylish clothes early. “Our mom was an American living in Canada, and she dressed very American preppy. We used to have competitions for who had the most polo shirts.” Burkman Bros launched their eponymous label in 2008 after honing their skills as designers at Gap Inc.

Image via Peggy Sirota

Harnessing inspiration from their travels, the Burkmans cautiously update classic menswear pieces with stylistic restraint. “Each season takes fresh influence from somewhere or something else” to produce a casual menswear line that is well-traveled yet familiar. The Nylon Chevron Jacket is a summer standout. It’s the perfect layer to throw on over your sweatshirt, polo or oxford button down. The chevron stripe has it’s origins in heraldry and military campaigns but naturally found it’s way into sport (soccer and rugby jerseys alike) due to its affiliation with going to war. Then again, the brothers could simply be paying homage to a sibling rivalry.

Photographed in Haiku, HI

Apr 14, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

gnow left a comment on 9/5/2010 at 11:26 PM:

great look, what kind of shorts are those? they kinda look like swimming trunks but im not sure

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/2/2010 at 9:00 AM:

@Howard—Good eye.

howard left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 5:58 PM:

it’s the Merc, that has been in the family since 87’ and is rusted but still runs so needs not replacing, that makes this so unabashedly preppy

A. C. Bee left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 10:29 AM:

F. E. Castleberry, will you marry me? xx ACB

Richard Ross left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 11:53 PM:

That gentleman in the latter picture is the talent behind this entire site. Great picture, and for the record I have shorts just a touch over the 5” inseam that go on my 38 length legs. I’m a believer in the short shorts.

jay left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 6:41 PM:

The Chevron Jacket reminds me of the ManU jersey. Again love the sambas, love the whole look, very relaxed.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 6:39 PM:

Excellent picture! This is perfect and this is full of the preppy spirit!

LueyMike left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 6:15 PM:

NWR, Banana Republic has a great non-visible sock that works great with loafers and sneakers, it comes in black and white

Fredrik left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 4:42 PM:

I see that young fellow in the latter picture quite frequently, is he one of you, bloggers?
    Outstanding style, nevertheless.

Fredrik from Sweden

Almost Grown-up left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 2:16 PM:

A few pieces are cool, but you can definitely understand why they designed for GAP.

The Boss left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 1:04 PM:

Great color contrasts, dude. I’m feelin’ it.

NWR left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 12:18 PM:

Excellent choice, sir. Are you wearing socks? If so, I like the cut on them. Any ideas for a pair of socks that are completely non-visible?

uristocrat left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 12:11 PM:

I’m a fan of the nylon chevron jacket..

abc left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 6:19 AM:

It’s the untied Sambas that make the look…a little attitude

• Twenty Years From Now

Miscellany  

Apr 13, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Krystle left a comment on 4/19/2010 at 8:10 PM:

Love the theory behind this website and this quote just makes it all that much better. Love your work by the way!

Jeff left a comment on 4/14/2010 at 5:50 AM:

Thanks…I’ve heard that a hundred times but today it helped me make a decision.  I really enjoy your blog!

brohammas left a comment on 4/13/2010 at 4:21 PM:

Makes me wanna get up off the couch.

• City Slicker

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Apr 12, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

VO left a comment on 7/21/2012 at 12:48 AM:

killing it!!! and bustin a semi-sagg… i dont care how you feel about the word this is the epitome of SWAG.. I see you bruh #Chitown

anthony left a comment on 4/13/2010 at 10:46 AM:

i think everything works well and the attention to detail and color selection is apparent. this dude knows what he’s doing.

bunny left a comment on 4/13/2010 at 12:30 AM:

he looks good. i like the colorblocked boat shoes and the sweater is really cute.

45% left a comment on 4/13/2010 at 12:29 AM:

i like the outfit.

Sanity Fair left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 11:31 PM:

loving the bitty bow tie - not wild about the easter egg color combo. Khaki pants would have won me over!

Sanity Fair (sfair.blogspot.com)

Justin FitzPatrick left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 6:38 PM:

Great look, just did an article myself on the how it’s boat shoe season and how that prep look is going to be flourishing!

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/

georgie left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 2:52 PM:

I like the look, especially the jacket.

johann v. caffenberg left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 11:36 AM:

I like the bow tie and sweater. Basically everything down the middle. I could do without the jacket.

lookbook.nu/johann

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 9:35 AM:

Very nice look. I specially like the 1930 varsity sweater and the jacket.

William left a comment on 4/12/2010 at 9:16 AM:

I like the look but I can never pull off pants that color without feeling like I am wearing scrubs.

southerngentinnewengland.blogspot.com

• Newer Posts Older Posts