• Social Primer

Top Drawer | Culture | Prep Essentials  

For those of you that have been reading Unabashedly Prep, I can only hope that up until now you have been aware of SocialPrimer.com, an etiquette blog authored by K. Cooper Ray. If not, please do yourself (and your lady) a favor by getting familiar. When he’s not answering reader’s questions, he’s dishing on manners, handling your liquor and where exactly to stitch that monogram. He’s one of the most well-spoken gentlemen in the prep blogoshpere, with a passion to instill civility into an uncivilized world.

Ray recently collaborated with Brooks Brothers to launch a bow tie collection just in time for summer. “Bow ties have become increasingly popular and Cooper’s sense of style and his interpretation of an iconic, classic item have brought new dimension to the Brooks Brothers bow tie assortment,” says Jeff Blee, Brooks Brothers Divisional Merchandise Manager for Men’s Furnishings. Offered in 16 reversible styles that alternate from nautical flags to Repp stripes to polka dots and the summer-must have madras plaid reversing to seersucker. There aren’t too many opportunities for a man to wear anything remotely considered whimsical when dressing up. And with that said, these ties are the perfect touch to any gentleman’s wardrobe.

They are available for purchase ($59.50) online at brooksbrothers.com and select Brooks Brothers retail stores nationwide accompanied by a second collection for fall 2010. The ties are shown here contrasting sides to illustrate the reversibility, but you can wear them as conservatively (straight on with only a hint of the reverse) or eccentrically as you like.

May 31, 2010 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Charlize left a comment on 6/22/2010 at 2:55 PM:

I’m not a guy but I found this blog to be an interesting read. Is there a a female version of it?

Wrecked Stellar left a comment on 6/2/2010 at 4:44 AM:

These are all great, esp. loving the color combo in the 1st one!

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 1:08 PM:

Very smart, thank you for the introduction. Perfect accessory.

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 3:29 AM:

These are great! you guys should all definitly check out http://thecordialchurchman.bigcartel.com/ for custom affordable bow ties

C M Griffiths left a comment on 5/31/2010 at 11:45 AM:

Loving the bow ties, especially bottom right. Are they going to sell them over in London?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/31/2010 at 9:16 AM:

Love the bow ties! Very colorful :)

• Holiday

Music & Books  

May 28, 2010 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

connetiquette left a comment on 5/29/2010 at 7:00 PM:

Love the quirky Marie Antoinette references

Eric Short left a comment on 5/29/2010 at 4:49 PM:

Hysterical.  It was a nice contrast to the “Giving Up The Gun” video… They’re not losing their touch by any means.

Dan R. Moore left a comment on 5/29/2010 at 1:11 PM:

I still love the ‘cousins’ video! but this song is awesome! Btw, I love this web, hugs from Mexico

Daniel R. Moore
    http://demonios-internos.blogspot.com

Anna left a comment on 5/29/2010 at 12:14 AM:

I must’ve listened to this song over hundred times now and never would I have imagined a music video like this….love the originality. How fun!

kliniko left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 4:17 PM:

wow awesome , love XVIII century meets 60s LA

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 1:53 PM:

Very original. And I must say I love the Clubmaster shades!

Jay left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 1:13 PM:

haha great!

njprepster left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 11:20 AM:

the end was by far the best. Funny stuff

• Pleat, Pleat Me

Dress Code  

Photographed in East Hampton, NY

Noteworthy: double pleats and starts for her high school field hockey team.

May 27, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Mike Hall left a comment on 6/2/2010 at 12:17 PM:

Pleats have their place, but it really depends on the item of clothing and the lady’s figure. I think the young lady above looks great and the pleats work well.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 8:33 PM:

In my opinion, I don’t like pleats on men, I prefer plain trousers and chinos, but a couple of pleats looks great on girls!

CLG23 left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 7:50 PM:

F.E. Castleberry- Exactly, I mean everyone has their own opinion. I read on multiple occasions where someone has said no to pleats all together…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/31/2010 at 10:14 AM:

@CLG23—Triple pleats…now that’s just madness.

CLG23 left a comment on 5/31/2010 at 10:08 AM:

F.E. Castleberry- single and double pleats are all fine…I actually mean “triple pleated” pants are what I cant handle.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/30/2010 at 10:56 AM:

@CLG23—I’m curious to know if by “two pleats” you mean a single pleat or a double pleat.

robdarko left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 9:02 AM:

Beautiful hourglass figure!

Stevi Savage left a comment on 5/28/2010 at 1:03 AM:

Love this blouse. It’s the one I wore in Vegas. :)

CLG23 left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 8:59 PM:

2 pleats is the max
    anymore is just plain crazy

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 7:48 PM:

Superb photo. I think she looks absolutely lovely. And the pleats on those pink shorts are fantastic.

Pleats on men’s trousers are making a comeback.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 5:13 PM:

@John—I agree. I’d like to see the ladies tuck theirs in as well.  It would clean it up a bit. But as is the was of those lounging about in East Hampton, she relaxes the look in not doing so.

John left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 5:10 PM:

Nice shorts. Those would be great in khaki too. With a tucked-in oxford. :)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 4:37 PM:

@Bunny—The shorts are by Rugby.

@M.D. Cooley—The vest is indeed pincord.

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 4:33 PM:

oooooh! Love this, what a cute outfit love the seersucker vest(or is it pincord?) with the pink shorts.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 1:16 PM:

Cute girl. Cute outfit.

bunny left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 12:57 PM:

Adorable. I love her cute pink shorts! where are they from? I also appreciate how wholesome and athletic everybody you shoot is.

• Dog Days of Summer

Culture  

Lucky dogs...I can’t get out to Amagansett this summer quick enough.

Image via Walter Iooss Jr.

May 26, 2010 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

alex left a comment on 3/18/2012 at 8:29 PM:

WOW…i like everything about this pic..the colors in the background,the dogs look really cool,and the lady is stunning…wow..

The Handbook Authority left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 11:36 AM:

@Anthony—I’d have to agree, Prep is the whole enchilada…

Evans Mehew left a comment on 7/2/2011 at 9:01 PM:

Love your blog ... it serves as a true psychic oasis for me, a “happy place” I can retreat to when a daily breather is in order.  Stay classy!

Adolfo left a comment on 12/26/2010 at 1:54 PM:

The model is elsa benitez right ? She’s mexican as i am, greetings from us mexican preps !

anthony left a comment on 6/6/2010 at 3:53 AM:

duly noted.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/5/2010 at 9:13 AM:

@Anthony—This photograph embodies the lifestyle (summering in the Hamptons) and the accessories (dogs, houses, etc) that go along with that, as opposed to one’s personal style and accessories.  Plus the guys want eye candy every now and then.

anthony left a comment on 6/5/2010 at 7:01 AM:

the photo is great and the chick is attractive, but it doesn’t convey much insight regarding style.

Paul left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 6:45 PM:

man… look at those puppies!

martina left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 2:47 PM:

I love your blog! Just wanted to say I really enjoy your photos + Czech preppies could learn a lot from your blog. Love from Prague!

WIsco left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 11:08 AM:

Tanned brunette in a bikini like that SCREAMS summer… and other things I won’t repeat on this family show.

Keith left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 9:57 AM:

Great post.  I quite enjoy checking out your blog.  You do a fantastic job with it.  I hope you’ve been having a wonderful week.

Katie ROBINSON left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 8:15 AM:

Really interesting post u have here. It would be nice to read a bit more concerning such matter. Thank you for posting this information.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 8:23 PM:

Holy shit, what an outstanding filly! Great photo.

pve design left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 2:30 PM:

living the life of riley…those dog gone dogs.

old polo left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 1:22 PM:

O…M…G!

Andy left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 11:51 AM:

That’s frame-worthy.

fsp left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 11:19 AM:

… wanna be your dog …
    Is it part of the look?

abc left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 9:04 AM:

very lucky dogs…
    Stunning…

NWR left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 8:39 AM:

Now that’s a look I can get behind!

• Matt Singer

Style  

Matt Singer is 21. He’s toiling inside a Frank Gehry building with a Charles Ray original staring back at him in his cube. He’s with the Chiat Day advertising firm and they are doing some really inspiring stuff. A guy named Andy Spade is also there.

“All that stuff really influences your perspective and how you think about things,” Singer recalls.

That was then.

Photographed in New York, NY

After a nine year stint with Jack Spade, which he helped start with Spade, Singer left last winter to launch his eponymous label, an eccentric new lifestyle brand that doesn’t fall too far from the Jack Spade tree. “I think by doing some of these things for so long I’ve learned how to make them better. It’s about making great things.”

His fascination with space and astronautics is not unlike that of a young boy. Singer just never grew up. We’re sitting down in coffee shop in New York’s West Village discussing Pluto, locker loops and super heros; more specifically, where you can get your hands on grappling hooks, capes and utility belts. Before I know it, I’m intently listening to a recount of the Soviet space program’s use of stray dogs to determine whether human spaceflight was feasible. I’m intrigued. God bless Laika, Strelka and Belka for their sacrifice. Singer pays tribute to their legacy via a decoupage glass ashtray.

“I like the craft and the tradition about making things and I like exploring that story behind it.”

Images via Matt Singer

Singer’s storytelling carries over into his oxfords (also in a popover) and surcingle belts (refreshingly made with suede leather). His shirtmaker has been manufacturing in the United States for over 60 years, consistently producing some of the finest shirting in the world. His approach to the fit across the chest, the hem, the weight of the cloth, the factory it’s made in is a story he feels is worth sharing.

“I wanted to create this brand that is my name because it just felt really personal.”

May 25, 2010 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Ian left a comment on 6/1/2010 at 1:47 AM:

Nice stuff, but the price points are way too much for me. I do wish Mr. Singer all the success he desires though. He’s charmingly cute too.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 6:26 PM:

@MPR—The initial $195 cash outlay for Matt Singer’s oxfords might seem daunting at first glance, but once you consider the factory they are sewn in, the weight of the cloth and the exclusivity, you might deem it worth it.

mpr left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 6:01 PM:

Interesting placket on the shirt and points for being american made, but $195 for an oxford?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 8:22 PM:

I agree with Jay, the suede strap gives the belt a terrific look.

tinypreppy left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 5:18 PM:

Look at his sock!!! I love it.

Jay left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 2:33 PM:

I do like the suede on the belts its a small thing but very significant for a great look.

robdarko left a comment on 5/26/2010 at 10:38 AM:

Excellent point, Mr. Bourasseau.  I sit here wearing a ten year old OCBD (courtesy of RL) that has not begun to show the slightest signs of deterioration.

As for you F.E.C., we all appreciate your effort and look forward to your June 2010 playlist.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 8:44 PM:

Hard to get excited about this.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 8:11 PM:

I checked his web site and I think it is very cool. Very original, he got alot of oxfords. It’s kinda fun. I wonder how it will look like in 5 years?

Annabel left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 3:19 PM:

love love love this….hope he plans to make women’s clothes in the future!

Andy left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 2:47 PM:

I do like the crazy socks.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 1:06 PM:

Lovely belts.

• Older Posts