• Belt Shift

Style | Sports  

Great style should show no sign of effort. Within the prep uniform of chinos, oxfords and penny loafers, your style exists between the lines. It’s the very definition of sprezzatura—elements of your style that appear to be happy accidents. Anytime I consider folding small quirks into my style, I consider its authenticity—being cognizant of the half tucked polo’s origin, the American icons that owned the shorter inseam or in this case, the nonchalance of a shifted belt.

“It takes a great deal of experience to become natural.” —Willa Cather

Sure, Michael Bastian ran every model down the runway with his d-ring on his hip this season; but that’s not why it should occasionally be gracing your waist. Fay Vincent, Yale’s baseball captain, was sporting his belt shifted during his rivalries with Harvard as far back as 1963. It is not fashion that makes you well dressed, it is understanding. Your closet should be stocked with authenticity just as much as it is with pique polos.

Image via ©Bettmann/CORBIS

May 24, 2010 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Bunsy left a comment on 10/15/2010 at 10:06 AM:

The “belt on the side” thing was started (or used) by Elvis Presley and a whole bunch of blues guitar players… so they would not scratch up the guitar.

Are there any preppy bluesmen?  (!)

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 12:15 PM:

Ah! It is indeed wonderful, I have had the pleasure of living there this year, so I was just wondering if you lived here as well.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/25/2010 at 9:24 AM:

@M.D. Cooley—I have traveled to Marina del Rey but do not live there. Lovely weather all the time.

Robert left a comment on 5/24/2010 at 9:56 PM:

My girlfriend does that with her belt and I always wondered why but never asked. I have a newfound appreciation for her style.

Kristi left a comment on 5/24/2010 at 8:09 PM:

Wow, what a fantastic photo. The line, the belt buckle over his slim hips.  Just a gorgeous look.

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 5/24/2010 at 7:54 PM:

F.E. Castleberry, I noticed in past “Dress Code” post that some were taken in Marina Del Rey, Do you live there?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/24/2010 at 4:35 PM:

@V—“There’s no crying in baseball!” And as such, there is no consideration for functionality in sprezzatura.  It’s about the happy accidents (again)...it’s about being different in the details, slightly imperfect. You do it to express yourself in a plausible way that comes off with a sense of disregard.

V left a comment on 5/24/2010 at 4:18 PM:

I suppose my primary question lies in the functionality of the belt shift. Why do it in the first place? What statement is it making?

• Success

Miscellany  

May 21, 2010 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

laura elizabeth left a comment on 5/23/2010 at 10:31 PM:

these are my favorite…

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 5/22/2010 at 2:31 AM:

He was right about so many things, especially the gap between elite and masses.

• Gant Rugger F/W 2010

Style  

Although summer is in the air, fall/winter collections are hitting the ground. I popped into Gant Rugger’s new shop on Bleecker St. in New York’s West Village last week to check out their much anticipated offering by head designer Christopher Bastin. The flagship has only been open for two and a half weeks; yet, select pieces from their fall/winter 2010 line are already being showcased in store. Below are some of my favorite looks and pieces to come.

May 20, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Chris left a comment on 6/2/2010 at 5:48 AM:

rippedbackpocket.blogspot.com
    Happy trails and big up for the nice review!
    We love you.

TRAVIS left a comment on 5/23/2010 at 11:11 PM:

Awesome coverage. I love what looks like a Norwegian fishing sweater. And I wouldn’t mind that yellow rain slicker. Maybe even both of them together! Some of it looks like Caulfield Preparatory or even the new L.L. Bean line, though there are some great pieces that it seems everyone likes.

TRAVIS
    withinthehedges.blogspot.com

bunny left a comment on 5/21/2010 at 7:10 PM:

it’s all cute. love that plaid lining…and the rw&b sweater is adorable.

JRS left a comment on 5/21/2010 at 3:43 PM:

That navy and cream sweater is great…got to find that one.

Gant Rugger left a comment on 5/21/2010 at 10:06 AM:

We offer over the phone orders. Please call us at 212.620.5949

K. Nights left a comment on 5/21/2010 at 1:32 AM:

So awesome. I really wanted some stuff from their spring collection but I don’t live in New York.

Jack left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 6:57 PM:

I like yellow raincoat.

Richard Ross left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 3:32 PM:

I mean, can it get any better than that red white and blue sweater? I am also loving that “pie crust” patterned sweater.

JoeG left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 3:08 PM:

Is this stuff only available in store?

Justin James left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 2:50 PM:

Looks like a promising collection. A couple sweaters might be a staple in my wardrobe this fall.

The Boss left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 12:15 PM:

The sweater third from the bottom is top drawer. I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on that.

• True Prep

Music & Books  

At 21, Lisa Birnbach did not exactly know what she was getting into when she agreed to author The Official Preppy Handbook. What has since become a cult hit almost never was. Thirty something writers passed on the publishing company’s offer before Birnbach hesitantly took up the torch. Thirty years later, the forthcoming tome, True Prep, is set for release this fall. While the first book focused more on revealing the northeastern world behind the curtain, True Prep seeks to preach the best things bequeathed to America by the WASP establishment—grace, discipline and civic mindedness. The media frenzy surrounding the new book moved Birnbach’s publisher to order a publicity freeze until the book’s release; however, Birnbach did grant Ivy Style one last interview before the fall. Find out why she sees the need for a sequel, how the first book came to be, and why she now embraces polar fleece.

May 19, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 9/28/2013 at 3:05 PM:

Totally agree with Karl here.  I was stoked about the book coming out and went to several stores to get a copy, as most were sold out.  But the book was disappointing to say the least IMHO.  I think the collaboration with Chip Kidd was a mistake, as it seemed to be more HIS book than hers. (By the way Chip…no pleated khakis…ever.) I would think updating the book with color photos or illustrations would have been a given.  Sadly it wasn’t.  Instead, the photos in True Prep are bland and lifeless.  Whereas the original book would give a brief explanation or anecdote about something pictured, such as a type of shoe, True Prep just shows a picture of…a shoe.  The book also ignored entire regions of the country (like the South…save for the one-pager on Hampden-Sydney College).  Finally, I’m all about inclusiveness and giving voice to other preps who aren’t WASP-y, but in doing so, True Prep pretty much excluded those who are.  It was a little too embarrassingly PC.  Save your money on the update…the original was far better.

Karl left a comment on 6/4/2011 at 7:34 AM:

I was also excited about its release. All of the political stuffing was useless and it fell short in many categories from the original. I still look through it from time to time but the original is the only one that matters for me.

John left a comment on 9/11/2010 at 1:43 AM:

I am a 38 year old Gen-Xer.  I truly LOVED the original.  I still have two copies of it, including a special hard case edition. 

arden left a comment on 8/31/2010 at 3:27 PM:

As a graphic design student at Mass Art, we learned Chip Kidd was the holy grail of book designers. As a h.s. student in Michigan the 80s, the Preppy Handbook was a glimpse into another world (an ethnograpy of sorts) that seemed much better than the land-locked one to which I was confined. Anyway, LB + CK = I am very excited to get this. And major points for not being a cell fan, LB!

Andy left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 1:51 PM:

My friends are going to crucify me for buying this…  Oh well.  Looks great!

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 12:36 AM:

So excited for this new book! The OPH was great; but being born in 1991 it was a little too before my time to enjoy it as much as I may have if born earlier. I’m excited for the reissue of “Take Ivy” as well.

MB left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 10:11 PM:

This is what I love about Lisa Birnbach, she has fun with the “prep” label and doesn’t take it or herself too seriously. I can’t wait for the book. I have it on pre-order at Amazon already!

bunny left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 10:02 PM:

so happy! can’t wait to read it :)

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 8:45 PM:

Nice video: Fit cougars.

Parley left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 7:58 PM:

Way excited about this… Can’t wait

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 5:12 PM:

Can’t wait!

Jack left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 3:55 PM:

Is that a book about how to be a true preppy from inside? I wanna read it.

meg left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 1:07 PM:

so excited for this next installment!  friends bought me the official preppy handbook as a joke, as i was heading off to an all girls’ boarding school (which is ironically included in the official preppy handbook!).  this next book will be lots of fun, i can tell.

• Hat in Hand

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

May 18, 2010 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

O.H left a comment on 5/27/2010 at 9:28 PM:

Good stuff Fola!

NWR left a comment on 5/19/2010 at 10:01 AM:

Not a fan of the jeans, but I give the dude props for experimenting!

ThisSunday left a comment on 5/18/2010 at 10:04 PM:

These jeans are very similar to workwear & naval dungarees from the 30s & 40s. There are several photos of sailors wearing jeans that look just like these.

patgig left a comment on 5/18/2010 at 11:07 AM:

great Polo tennis shoes. the only good sneakers RL ever did.

• Newer Posts Older Posts