• Coffee Break

Dress Code  

Photographed in East Hampton, NY

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Jun 30, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

robdarko left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 10:45 AM:

Point taken, M.  I knew a bunch of idiots growing up in Coral Gables, FL.  Maybe it’s a southern-prep-thing?

M left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 10:18 AM:

Longboards and skateboards were de rigueur at my boarding school as was the mashup of the makings of our jacket and tie dress code with more eclectic styles. Granted its not exactly a unique get-up, but frankly he’s more authentic looking than those who pile on the prep staples as costume, rather than for functional non-aesthetic purposes. He would look like a complete idiot if he was wearing boat shoes while skateboarding.

D.E.S. left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 12:23 AM:

Ha. He and I were in Montauk two weeks ago. It’s fifteen minutes away. Perchance justifies the reference? Rather close to Hamptons Prep as I’ve seen - merely missing a Rolex and friendship bracelet.

K. Nights left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 4:10 PM:

I think this is a nice, clean look.

bunny left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 3:22 PM:

the rebellious phase (wink). i love how unrumpled he is…even after skateboarding to starbucks. that’s true preppiness.

Connetiquette left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 12:45 PM:

This look is quintessentially Hamptons summer. The Hamptons during the summer are exactly this vibe- a mash up of the preps from the city and the beachy surfer. His style is a perfect combination of both of these lifestyles.

Emmy left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 12:24 PM:

I think we can all agree that if more truckers dressed like this, the world would be a very different place. I’m just glad to see a men’s outfit on here that doesn’t look like, I hate to say it, a costume. This is a real summertime look. I love it.

:) left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 11:43 AM:

I like this look. Good post F.E.C.

AEV left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 10:42 AM:

ha ha - yes - the hat is equal parts faux commercial fisherman and long haul trucker. agreed.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 10:38 AM:

I believe the hat is more fisherman inspired than it is truck driver inspired. Fishing existed before trucking ;)

• Easy Tiger

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Chris is one of three Princeton students behind the online men's magazine, Prepidemic.

Jun 29, 2010 | Permalink (30) View/Leave Comments

Michael left a comment on 5/8/2012 at 3:20 AM:

I think the white sneakers do not really fit.

Docks left a comment on 8/26/2011 at 2:31 PM:

Haha wow, I live in that gray building behind him, across the street from La Esquina.

Rachel left a comment on 7/6/2010 at 2:03 PM:

LA ESQUINA!!!!!

Don Richman left a comment on 7/4/2010 at 6:12 PM:

@TJ - I’m about 99% sure it’s a bag from Ernest Alexander - http://www.ernestalexander.com/categories.php?category=Utility-Bags

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/3/2010 at 9:07 AM:

@Laguna Beach Trad & JMW—The shoes are Common Projects.

@M—The tie is a designer club tie I believe.

M left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 12:52 PM:

Any word on the club tie? Is it the genuine article or a RL racquet club imposter?

MGT left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 10:58 AM:

Paul Smith musa’s would’ve been just the sneakers for this.

JMW left a comment on 7/1/2010 at 10:23 AM:

Are his shoes Tretorn or K-Swiss? Anyone know?

Ramy Gaultier left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 9:53 PM:

This guy knows how to dress!! love the shoes, love the look, love him! The shoes are so fun, I want to get a pair! It’s nice to know that the geniuses behind prepidemic.com also know how to dress! :) :)

Peace be with everyone

Michael left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 5:38 PM:

My favorite post on this entire blog.

Can anyone direct me to the store that sells the repp belt? I am fixated upon this one and must have it. Thanks

gld left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 3:48 PM:

This look is adorable. He looks so put-together, and the tie and the belt are definitely ace.

Dave left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 8:59 AM:

I think the sneakers are great.  It’s summer time.

Freddy Fratter left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 6:44 AM:

As a fellow fratter, this man is the epidemic of the college age prep. His outfit screams Ivy League with a classy top half, yet doesn’t make you feel inferior because of how casual the bottom of the outfit looks. Love it.

Callis4Life left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 10:12 PM:

This kid is the fresh.  Shoes rock.  Blazer looks great.  The overall elegant nonchalance is captured and perfected.  Callis = the tits.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 8:34 PM:

I also noticed the belt, looks awesome.

tie one on left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 8:18 PM:

The shoes were the first thing I noticed as well.  However, surprised to see zero comments about the tie and belt combo.  That’s a lot of repp my friend.
    cute sneakers!

MPM left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 8:11 PM:

Princeton’s mascot is the tiger…come on now people.  You can’t walk around campus everyday in weejuns sometimes sneakers are necessary.

Baby Bootlegger left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 7:36 PM:

Definitely dig this photo.  The bag and umbrella mixed with the flags over his head really do say “Easy Tiger” to this yuppie.  Dope look, but like the rest I could use some enlightenment in regards to shoe choice.  Thanks

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 3:59 PM:

What an amazing look!! Is good for almost any ocassion. GREAT!!

bunny left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 2:08 PM:

sneakers, chinos, blazer. he looks cute. like the prep school student in oph but a little older.

TJ left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 1:42 PM:

@F.E.Castleberry: who makes the bag? Thanks!

Rick Ross left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 12:31 PM:

Favorite post on this entire blog. Well done.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 10:10 AM:

Wow, everything’s so perfect

Straw Boater left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 9:39 AM:

Nice effort

CLG23 left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 9:27 AM:

The sneakers dont bother me at all. Just makes me think of an “inner city teacher”

http://athensstyle.tumblr.com/ left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 9:19 AM:

Overall its good!

JMW left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 9:19 AM:

I like the fact that he is wearing great classic attire, but chooses more comfortable, summer-like shoes.

robdarko left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 8:57 AM:

Excellent!  I appreciate his “high/low” approach to dressing.  Everything fits well for his frame and the colors are seasonally appropriate (light pants/white shoes).

KFad left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 8:43 AM:

Yup. I recognize that tie from Prepidemic’s neckwear guide.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 7:17 AM:

Great effort! What’s with the trainers/sneakers though?

• Vintage Polo

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: I recently picked up a striped Rugby polo in this very same grape/antique white/light emerald colorway and cotton jersey weave.

Jun 28, 2010 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Joey left a comment on 4/9/2014 at 8:55 PM:

Seeing as how this post is nearly four years old, it’s probably pointless of me to ask if anyone knows where I could find this exact polo anywhere, but I have to try, haha.  I really love this shirt.

RomanPrep left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 11:19 AM:

I love this look.  Effortless, comfortable, spot on!  The best part is the hair.

anthony left a comment on 7/3/2010 at 8:26 AM:

this guy takes a very simple setup and makes it very interesting with his color choice. a leather bag of some sorts would make this look even better, but there’s not much to be improved upon.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 6/30/2010 at 11:39 AM:

The sun-drenched colors work beautifully with the lighting in the shot. Looks like he’s on his way to the beach—and makes me wish I was too.

naked left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 2:44 AM:

I really like the length of the shorts. I think it goes especially well with the chucks.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:23 PM:

Awesome! Love the haircut and beard. Nice tote.

Connetiquette left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 5:40 PM:

Love this polo..looks so soft. And I think the proportions of the whole outfit are perfect.

bunny left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 4:42 PM:

pretty polo. i like the colors.

mjl left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 1:49 PM:

where are the shorts from?  i like the shorter and not super baggy cut.

Genevieve left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 12:23 PM:

Beautiful. Though I can see this was taken in New York, this is just like the kind of West Coast summertime prep I’ve been seeing so much of. I love the simple laidback elegance.

CLG23 left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 11:58 AM:

When I think of vintage Polo I think of the “Lo-Lifes” gang,P wings and Indian collections and cookie patch.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:59 AM:

@robdarko—I do condone shorter shorts with vintage polos that tend to be longer.

@EnzoAGC—I feel these are some of the best polos Rugby has made as of late.  So soft.

mariel left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:50 AM:

I’m impressed you made it out to Long Island City - my home turf! Glad to see someone recognizing the fashionable people out in Queens.

robdarko left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:46 AM:

In the past I have given F.E.C. a hard time about his propensity for “showing leg” but this is a question of aesthetics.  The polo’s fit is perfect, so are the Chucks (sans socks), and sunglasses.  The shorts look good but fail the rest of the outfit due to length, IMHO.

Please do not be upset with me for contradicting myself but Vintage Polo’s look would benefit from a shorter inseam.  In any event, I agree with JRenee, this is simply classic.

S left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:46 AM:

great. now you have me on the hunt for something else! love this polo.

EnzoAGC left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 9:45 AM:

The rugby interlock polo you’re talking about is my favorite polo series I ever worked on.  The funky stripe layouts were all polo vintage that fisky dug up, the fit is totally different than any polo we’d ever done. Much longer and skinner.  Such great colors.

JRenee left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 8:52 AM:

I LOVE it! Simple yet so classic.
    http://afternoonteacomesearly.blogspot.com

• Ralph Lauren Double Monk Straps

Top Drawer | Style  

The moment I met Sid Mashburn he was southern prep from head to—well, ankle...bare ankle. His shoes were definitely Italian (in design). But they worked. Not only did they work, they worked beautifully. I had never considered double monk straps. With the top buckle nonchalantly flopping around unfastened, they were mesmerizing. The price point ($500-$600) is an investment but when Gilt Groupe offered up these Ralph Lauren Alston Double Monk Straps ($268), I moved.

Jun 25, 2010 | Permalink (27) View/Leave Comments

SmoothGirlieGirl left a comment on 12/24/2011 at 3:44 PM:

I love them. I’d love a darling of mine in one of these. :D

jack left a comment on 5/4/2011 at 2:08 PM:

shipton and henage….. great source…. thinking it is where Mashburn’s shoes come from…..

toni left a comment on 7/16/2010 at 11:28 PM:

I just bought this pair of shoes at the Nordstrom Rack in NYC for $99! Unbelievable! They look great!

The Boss left a comment on 6/28/2010 at 12:07 PM:

It takes a true gentleman (and woman) to appreciate the aesthetic qualities of a double monk.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/27/2010 at 10:10 AM:

These particular double monks were made in Italy.

AlanC left a comment on 6/26/2010 at 11:04 AM:

PoloRL has shoes made in both Italy and England. Traditionally, they have used Crockett & Jones for their English shoes (RLPL using Edward Green, but also have some made in Italy).

ATL left a comment on 6/26/2010 at 8:05 AM:

I’m actually not the biggest fan of the monk (double or single) and I’ve gone through a few pair, including Sid’s own double monk with one unbuckled strap and no socks that he has made popular.  I just refuse to do anything but traditional brogues and loafers, so the monks are simply not my style.  And now that they are starting to catch on, their appeal is somewhat fading.  That said, I was able to sell those shoes at only a slight discount to what I originally paid ($600) a year after putting significant wear into them, so that says a little about the popularity and quality of his shoes and how they hold their value.  Btw, his shoes are made by Alfred Sargent, the eponymous English shoemaker in Northamptonshire that long ago surpassed Peal & Co.  Sid’s wingtips are by far the best shoes I have ever owned and I plan to keep the rest of my life.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/26/2010 at 8:01 AM:

@James—I am happy to report the coloring on the toe cap is an inherent quality of the shoes.

ATL left a comment on 6/26/2010 at 7:56 AM:

@robdarko—according to the guys at Sid’s shop (he used to work at RL), Ralph Lauren makes their shoes in an Italian factory that is across the street from the original Gucci factory.  Apparently they are pretty much the exact same.

Connetiquette left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 10:02 PM:

That is some delicious leather right there.

Richard Ross left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 8:11 PM:

A perfect, beautiful shoe. It seems you took your latest quote to another level by keeping a tidy “sole” as well.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 7:42 PM:

Superb. I’m not a big fan of double monks, but I’m starting to warm to them. I have my eye on a pair at my local John Lobb shop.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

James left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 7:41 PM:

FEC,
    Great shoes!  Very nice.  The coloring on the toe cap is exceptional (please tell me that this is not a shadow from the photograph). 
    Wear them in good health.
    JB

Wisco left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 7:40 PM:

@Sean.  I’m 6 foot 230lbs, ex-American football player, so a little chunk on the shoe looks proportional to my frame.

Parley left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 1:40 PM:

I know monk-straps are the darlings of the trad blogosphere, and I wish I could better explain my visceral hatred of them, but I just think they’re ugly, ugly shoes.  To each his own!

robdarko left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 1:00 PM:

My Ralph Lauren wingtips are the most comfortable shoes I own.  Who manufactures shoes for Ralph Lauren, F.E.C.?

Sean left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 12:41 PM:

I picked up the same pair (waitlisted as well)... Wearing them today. Great shoes.

@Wisco… I bought some the suede wingtip McNairy’s. Tried them on today for the first time. They’re really bulky.

Tony left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 11:53 AM:

Those shoes are damn hot.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 11:13 AM:

Great shoes!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 11:07 AM:

@Jon—The Gilt sale probably flew under your radar because I was on the wait list.  The sale actually took place months prior…then made available again in my size.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 11:06 AM:

Just beautiful.

Wisco left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 10:02 AM:

I almost jumped on these, but alas waited too long.  That’s the rub with Gilt sales.  Another option is the Mark McNary’s found at the new Run of the Mill on-line store. Pebble grain and with a dainite sole, but also gorgeous.

http://athensstyle.tumblr.com/ left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 9:25 AM:

So sorry that Gilt doesnt deliver in Greece….Although they approved my application to be a member…I wonder why. Defenitelly LOVE this shoes!!

M.D Cooley left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 8:29 AM:

Definitly need to get some of these eventually. Gilt hasnt had anything for me since I joined a couple weeks ago but we’ll see!

http://westcapeprep.blogspot.com/

Jon left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 8:12 AM:

Man, that sale flew under my radar.  I need to pay more attention.  I would have jumped on those, too.

uristocrat left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 7:18 AM:

those certainly do look intriguing…

JRS left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 6:26 AM:

Very nice.

• Right as Rain

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in New Canaan, CT

Noteworthy: Cuffed short and the use of stripes with a patchwork madras. Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Jun 24, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

caroline left a comment on 6/29/2010 at 12:13 PM:

I love it, esp. the jacket!

Emily left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 3:07 PM:

@Karoline—The madras jacket is actually Rugby women’s.

K. Nights left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 2:39 PM:

She is way cute.

Genevieve left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 2:22 PM:

Great outfit! It manages to be functional and fun at the same time. If you’re not really into the green shorts I would say it would look great with khaki shorts as well. What a beautiful scene, I just wish the girl’s expression wasn’t so unhappy.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 2:05 PM:

For all those wondering, it is indeed raining outside (look at the car’s windshield wipers on the side of the street).  Function first, then fashion.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 2:02 PM:

She’s beautiful and she got a great outfit. About the boots, I really hope that if you are going to wear them it’s only because it’s raining, that way it’s ok.

lancedo left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 12:35 PM:

I love the jacket.

Andy left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 8:58 AM:

Those boots are great given that it’s actually raining.  Her colors are fun and she has great hair.  I like the whole look.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 8:28 AM:

Very, very cute. Love those shorts. Nice to see a pic of New Canaan again.

Karoline left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 6:26 AM:

I’m in LOVE with this jacket…where can I find it?  Tried asking when this was featured on the Rugby blog, but didn’t get a response.

• Older Posts