• Ralph Lauren

Top Drawer | Music & Books  

This eponymous 40th anniversary book sits as the crown jewel in my makeshift coffee table. At an impressive 11 1/2” x 15”, this profound volume shares intimate reflections of Ralph Lauren’s life and work, featuring more than 700 hand picked photographs. The man is a dreamer—a storyteller. When he began designing menswear his inspiration came from old yearbooks and images of students from Princeton, Harvard and Yale. What he designed in 1967 isn’t old, and yet what he’s creating in 2010 isn’t new. And therein lies the beauty of the prep aesthetic. The clothes are as timeless as the vision behind them.

“When I was a young man going to college I always loved the Ivy League look, its ease and tradition. It was the age of the gentleman athlete—the tennis player, the polo player, the rowers and scullers. I started with the origins of tradition, but I was not bound by it.”

—Ralph Lauren

Images via Bruce Weber, Perry Ogden, Martyn Thompson, Mary Randolph Carter and Francois Halard

Jun 9, 2010 | Permalink (28) View/Leave Comments

Ash left a comment on 9/6/2013 at 12:22 PM:

RL claims his clothes are timeless yet as a 21st century man I would not wear his baggy pleated 1980’s trousers paired with a baggy button-down topped off with a too long jacket ...

holly left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 6:58 AM:

I would love for someone to send me the pic on page 410 in the jeep being chauffered.  I know the man driving the jeep!

maria left a comment on 6/24/2010 at 8:53 PM:

love love love it!

robdarko left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 10:10 AM:

At the risk of sounding like a total sycophant;  I am always fascinated by people who can pull off something like your “makeshift coffee table”.  Any attempt to repurpose objects in such a manner would be met by severe disdain from friends/family.  There are no bohemians in my crew…LOL.  Ironically, the same pile off books sitting on top or under a proper coffee table would be acceptable.

Eric left a comment on 6/13/2010 at 9:38 PM:

I need this book. I’ve been scanning amazon used section and eBay daily, but haven’t seen prices to my liking yet. Someday, this will be mine.

TRAVIS left a comment on 6/13/2010 at 12:26 AM:

More pictures sir!

withinthehedges.blogspot.com

caroline left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 9:49 PM:

This reminds me why I love RL, I had forgotten…
    www.capshots.com

memphis88 left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 4:37 PM:

Because I can’t afford to spend $100 on a book, I have spent hours pouring over this thing at a local bookstore.

Anthony left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 12:23 PM:

@Fred—Haha unfortunately not. I love the current Bastian collections and I’m almost more impressed with the photos you displayed on the Gant Rugger post (where both the store and collection look incredible). while I’m often tempted to delve into other designers, I’ve been an employee of RL off and on for quite some time now while in college and law school (so obviously I’m completely unbiased).

For me, RL represents a number of different lifestyles and allows for flexibility within the various labels and brands.  At this point, I wear nothing but RL on principle, but I do believe the world he has created within fashion is truly remarkable.

robdarko left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 11:32 AM:

Ralph Lauren is degree zero of Prep/Trad.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 9:05 AM:

@RWF—All the images are from the book. It’s brilliant.

RWF left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 11:44 PM:

From the pictures featured in this post my favourite is actually the one that features no clothes but the gorgeous preppy with its different pillow shams and the duck motif silently present in the back :) now that’s something to model my dorm room by. wish there were more pictures like that around. Is it from the book?

www.pleasurablerevelation.com

Jen left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:18 PM:

Buzzy Kerbox…absolute heaven.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 3:48 PM:

Fabulous photographs!

gld left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 2:43 PM:

Beautiful photos. I adore those women’s tweed jackets. RL= effortless American style.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 2:06 PM:

It’s a fantastic book with an inspiring tale; required reading/browsing if not owning.

bunny left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 1:40 PM:

i need to get this book. i love the little girls berets. and the little boys fancy shoes in the gentleman athlete photo.

Hannah left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 11:52 AM:

This is my favorite post by far.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 11:41 AM:

@Anthony—No Bastian mixed in yet?

Fsp left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 10:53 AM:

He’s still the man who define the classic american Look

The Boss left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 9:55 AM:

The photo with the girls dressed in tweed is heavenly.

anthony left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 9:43 AM:

ralph lauren is indisputably the best men’s clothing designer of all time, as highlighted by this book. hence, my wardrobe is solely comprised (with the lone exception of a gray selvedge j.crew scarf) of polo, purple label, rugby and RRL.

Max left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 8:02 AM:

I have this book too. My favorite pic is on pg 410 of the guy being chauffered in a an old Jeep, wearing a bond-like tuxedo, and smoking.

Carlos left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 7:08 AM:

I’ve had this book for a while and it really is amazing, it is essential to any RL or Ivy League-Preppy-Style fan!

Fredrik left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:53 AM:

The picture with three ladies in tweed jackets is great!

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:48 AM:

Definitly have to pick this up!

Yanes Alicante left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:36 AM:

J’Adore RL.

http://myjewelsandmore.blogspot.com/

JMH left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:01 AM:

Awe-inspiring. RL has definately played a huge role in my development of my own personal sense of style. Thanks for post, Fred.

JMH

• Clothes Don’t Make the Man

Miscellany  

Jun 8, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 11:30 AM:

“Clothes don’t make the man, but clothes have got the man the occasional pass from a gay.”

James left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 7:55 PM:

“Clothes don’t make the man, but bad clothes can ruin him!” -JB

anthony left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 5:01 PM:

“Clothes don’t make a man, but they can transform an already good looking man into a complete boss.” ~ Anthony

Lorenz left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 12:26 PM:

a bit off topic, but how do you get that great layout for those quotes? would really love to have them on my blog sometimes :D

ssn left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 11:57 AM:

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society” - Mark Twain

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/8/2010 at 2:18 PM:

Absolutely! same thing with Pat’s comment.

pat left a comment on 6/8/2010 at 12:19 PM:

well said.  Clothes have also gotten the man a lady.

• Gant Rugger

Store Profiles  

Even though I catch my reflection out of the corner of my eye, I’m almost mistaken for what decade it is. The Seth Thomas clock isn’t much help. Newspaper articles and photographs from Gant's manufacturing facilities in New Haven from the 1950s—1970s plaster the walls. I’m in the dressing room, modeled after the foreman’s office of Bernard Gant, of the new Gant Rugger shop on Bleecker St. A navy/red striped polo, madras sport shirt and heritage-rich blue oxford pullover haphazardly drape over the office chair. Gary’s silhouette knocks on the door to see how I’m doing. He's astute yet nonchalant. He runs off to grab a different size for me.

The 700 square foot store in New York’s West Village showcases a more industrial factory look, partly inspired by the company’s New Haven, CT manufacturing heritage. The narrow space reveals exposed brick, open ceilings, vintage furniture and factory-floor fixtures. A custom adjustable wood shelving system is reminiscent of an earlier time. Fabric rolls, a mid-century sewing machine and archival shirt-making patterns dot the quirky factory blueprint. It’s the kind of space you, as a guy, walk in and wish was your closet—you want the entire collection. I walk out with the oxford pullover to start.

“Gant was a small family business in the beginning and they poured their heart and soul into it. So we tried to create a space that inspires a mix of creativity and functional design, with a nod to the passion that went into our grass-roots shirtmaking origins from all those years ago. It’s a very personal space.”

Christian Bastin, head designer of Gant Rugger

Photographed in New York, NY

Jun 7, 2010 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/15/2010 at 1:49 PM:

@Jason Feldmann—I shoot the Canon 5D.

Jason Feldmann left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 12:45 AM:

what kind of camera do you shoot with? the pictures of the store are brilliant.

Steve left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 9:11 AM:

I have to disagree with the comment about Los Angeles.  We have amazing stores—from Craft to APC to Milkmade to Confederacy…even a RRL.  That being said, we could always use a Gant Rugger shop!  :D

Petter left a comment on 6/9/2010 at 7:52 AM:

I like these pics!

http://cultureprep.blogspot.com/

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 7:26 PM:

Oh how I wish I lived near New York,they get all the good stuff! All we get in L.A. is Empirio Armani, and other similar horrors.

Gary Davis left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 3:43 PM:

This looks great! Thanks so much….

bunny left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 3:13 PM:

it’s all so handsome

The Boss left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 2:56 PM:

I’ll pop in the next time I’m in NYC—looks promising.

Andy left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 2:17 PM:

Great pics…  I want pretty much everything I see in that showroom.

• Pulled Over

Dress Code | Prep Essentials  

Photographed in Fort Worth, TX

Noteworthy: Gant oxford cloth pullover (my favorite shirt for this summer, best paired with shorts), ripped locker loop (formally employed as a signal to the ladies that you were "taken") and grosgrain watchband.

Jun 4, 2010 | Permalink (37) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:07 PM:

@Chris—Eyebobs Total Wits.

Chris left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:05 PM:

F.E., what brand glasses are you wearing in this photo?
    -C.

Dorian left a comment on 1/25/2012 at 11:37 AM:

I really would like you to make me a pair of chinos with that signature paint “splash” technique you use… also I would love to intern with you if you would consider…?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 2:30 AM:

@Brandon—That is the same shirt.  I think you will certainly enjoy it.

Brandon left a comment on 3/13/2011 at 10:23 PM:

Hey Fred,

Have been looking around for a shirt like this for a while now.  Ran upon this on the Gant UK site:

http://www.gantuk.com/shop/mens/shirts/r1_solod_oxfrod_pullover/blue/?page=0

This looks lighter than your shirt, but i’m sure this is just because of lighting.  Could you confirm?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:17 PM:

@Rebecca Jenkins—As it was from last season, you could possibly find it on eBay.

Rebecca Jenkins left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:14 PM:

How can I order this or where can I find it to order??

MikeZFromHouston left a comment on 9/18/2010 at 11:51 PM:

Cool post, I will be sure to recommend to friends!

Brandon left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 12:01 PM:

I love this look and would love to get my hands on a shirt like this!  Unfortunately, I live in the Nashville area and there are no nearby Gant locations.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Gary Davis left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 5:34 PM:

love the shot man! It was a pleasure meeting you!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 9:12 AM:

@MPM—I tried on several pieces from the collection and am convinced that many pieces run a size small. I usually am a medium but purchased a large in this pullover. It’s cut a little more generous because it has to be pulled over your head.

Petter left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 5:54 AM:

Really nice!

http://cultureprep.blogspot.com/

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 6/7/2010 at 2:06 AM:

I adore that watch! I will most defintaly have to pick up a gold, white face watch that is similar in the next couple weeks to give my silver,black face a break for the summer. Not sure I am a fan of pull overs myself, but you pull it off!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/6/2010 at 10:47 PM:

The spectacles are brilliant!

Justin W. Bristow left a comment on 6/6/2010 at 9:05 PM:

Mr. Castleberry, I must say that my favorite thing about this shot is the fact that you’re eating at Kincaid’s.  Most definitely the best burger in the DFW and surrounding areas.  Those spectacle frames aren’t bad either.

MPM left a comment on 6/6/2010 at 8:23 PM:

Fred, can you describe the fit of the pullover? I’m looking to order one but am not sure of the sizing.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2010 at 1:17 PM:

@RWF—When I do use product (which seems sporadic at best) it’s either American Crew molding clay or Bed Head (for men) Matte separation workable wax.

TRAVIS left a comment on 6/5/2010 at 11:11 PM:

We used to rip the locker loops on each other’s oxfords back in prep school. It was single-sex, and of course it turned into a flag football of sorts in the hallways (the locker loops being the ‘flags’).

RWF left a comment on 6/5/2010 at 8:14 PM:

Any idea what hair product he has in :)? I feel like hair is the least talked about subject in the whole fashion/preppy world.

Parley left a comment on 6/5/2010 at 3:12 PM:

BTW, congrats on the Details June/July mention!

Damien left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 11:04 PM:

Great shot. I’ve noticed an eating trend. What’s that about?

Genevieve left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 10:02 PM:

I must say, the hair is absolute perfection as well!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 8:59 PM:

Just Brilliant!

Aaron Snow left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 7:59 PM:

Love this shot! One of my favorites of yours.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 5:19 PM:

@George—My glasses are Eye Bobs readers that I had prescription lenses put into.

Phoebe left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 4:54 PM:

Love his shirt…but what I really want is a burger from Kincaid’s!

George left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 3:41 PM:

This is a terrific look!  May I ask about your glasses?  I’ve been looking for a pair of school boy horn-rimmed glasses for the longest time.

josh mccullock left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 3:41 PM:

lookin tough Fred! I’ll be needing that pullover, thanks!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 2:55 PM:

@The Boss—The Gant pullover retails for $115.  If you are thinking about picking one up, do so quickly as they are a limited run.

@T.J.—That watch face is a no frills Timex ($15 from Wal-Mart).  I also like this Timex gold watch face (http://www.timex.com/dp/B00021CE10?ie=UTF8&timexBrand=core) Smart Turnout does make some nice grosgrain straps but also check out Central Watch (http://www.centralwatch.com/home.php?cPath=48_54_160&products_id=138) for a nice price point as well.

The Boss left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 2:01 PM:

Fred—What do the Gant popovers retail for?

The Boss left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 2:00 PM:

@T.J.—Whatever you do, do not waste your money on the J. Crew joint. Amazon is your best bet—at a fraction of the cost.

T.J. left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 1:30 PM:

What kind of watch face is that? I’ve been looking for one to pair with different straps but am not in love with the J. Crew/ Smart Turnout watch faces. Any suggestions on where to buy?

Richard Ross left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 1:01 PM:

What a shirt. Bring on the summer.

laura elizabeth left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 12:47 PM:

handsome boy!! ow ooooow!!!!!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 12:32 PM:

@RWF—The locker loop (not shown) is the loop on the back of a shirt employed for use in hanging your shirt in a gym locker. Gant is one of the companies known for first incorporating locker loops into their shirting.  Historically, by your girlfriend ripping the locker loop, it signaled to the other ladies that you were “taken”.  More of a tongue-in-cheek nod to the past.

RWF left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 12:29 PM:

what’s a ripped locker loop?

A.M. left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 12:25 PM:

Fred this look is brilliant! Love the shirt and the specs! Classy.

• Gym Rat

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Jun 3, 2010 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Elliot left a comment on 4/30/2011 at 10:45 PM:

This looks great I love the subtle yet eclectic choice of colours. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the jumper is from?

Ag left a comment on 7/4/2010 at 1:36 PM:

Jacob my man… This guy always nails it with his look… Respect…

CLG23 left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 9:58 AM:

lol @ “Gym Rat”
    well put together though

anthony left a comment on 6/4/2010 at 1:13 AM:

mixing fleece pants or shorts with more dapper pieces is always ballsy and works well in this case.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 10:01 PM:

Pink and green! Great pic!

Justin left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 8:53 PM:

Love the look, but as a hardcore gym rat I can’t do the fleece shorts in the gym.  I have to go double-sided mesh, but always Adidas with the triple stripe on the side in white, grey, navy, or black.

bunny left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 11:17 AM:

wow. i love it.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 11:04 AM:

I’ve always said you can tell a real prep by the way he dresses down. Well done Gym Rat for Dress Code, well done!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 10:32 AM:

@adm25—His canvas duffle is by Rugby.

The Boss left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 9:57 AM:

@adm25—I’m almost certain it’s from Rugby.

adm25 left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 9:41 AM:

Does anyone know who makes that duffle bag?

The Boss left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 9:21 AM:

Fleece shorts are functional in the gym.

Tom left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 7:12 AM:

I love the cotrast but I’m not so keen grey shorts. Still, looks good anyway.

PointDexterity left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 6:20 AM:

I like this arrangement of colors and things. Not only is the pink and green contrast my favorite but the gym cut off sweats makes me wanna go for a run.
    (C)reative

abc left a comment on 6/3/2010 at 6:18 AM:

Colorful and quirky…

• Newer Posts Older Posts