• Patch Made in Heaven

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: Vintage Dooney & Bourke purse, cuffed shorts, layered pearl necklaces, patchwork madras button down, and custom d-ring braided rope belt.

Jul 9, 2010 | Permalink (29) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2010 at 3:00 PM:

@DDN—Yes, this is on the terrace of Castle Hill.

DDN left a comment on 7/14/2010 at 10:56 AM:

Is this on the terrace at Castle Hill Inn? She looks beautiful, love the blue hydrangeas.

kiki left a comment on 7/12/2010 at 5:00 PM:

she’s very pretty and i love her ensemble, but i really love the background. amazing scenery and spectacular hydrangeas. thanks for sharing and take care.

anthony left a comment on 7/12/2010 at 9:22 AM:

one of your better shots in a while fred—great work. the rigging and setting are both awesome.

meg left a comment on 7/11/2010 at 7:45 PM:

I’ve never been a fan of espadrilles.  Otherwise, I love everything else.

Astrild left a comment on 7/10/2010 at 7:05 PM:

She looks great. I like the espadrilles; they say “summer” without being too casual.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/10/2010 at 10:27 AM:

@gld—Off the top of my head I know that Rugby made a boyfriend short this summer (check out Dress Code image Right As Rain). I believe those have a similar fit as these shorts pictured here.

@Robin—I would suggest a bright bottom. A go-to-hell shade of lime green or Nantucket reds.

@Feverly—You can find this belt (click on the image to zoom in) at www.kieljamespatrick.com at the beginning of August.

@Meg—Although I did meet Cary Randolph while in Newport (very lovely woman), this young lady is a look-a-like (and really, just in this photo).

Meg left a comment on 7/10/2010 at 10:04 AM:

this looks like one of my favorite bloggers, Cary Randolph of Newport, RI…is this her or a look-alike?

Emmy left a comment on 7/10/2010 at 9:49 AM:

Love this. Although I definitely would have chosen boat shoes, she makes the outfit work perfectly for her. Another home run, FEC.

Feverly left a comment on 7/10/2010 at 12:14 AM:

Picture perfect.  Love the color palette, love the scene, love the model.  Very striking yet subtle.  Where can I find that belt she is wearing?

Robin left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 9:22 PM:

I tried on that shirt on Tuesday at J. Crew, but I passed it up. After seeing this entry today I went back and bought it! Got it for $20. :)

F.E.C. - what else do you suggest to wear with the shirt?

Heavy Tweed Jacket left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 7:58 PM:

The belt. Way nice.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 7:15 PM:

She looks amazing I want to made her my wife!!!

bunny left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 5:52 PM:

the setting is unreal. tall shadow, windswept hair. so cute and summery.

gld left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 4:56 PM:

Could this outfit get more perfect? No. Please tell me where this lady bought her shorts! It is nearly impossible to find mid-length shorts that aren’t too wide through the hip.

Connetiquette left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 2:55 PM:

Love this. She is so cute and what a beautiful background

M.D.Cooley left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 2:25 PM:

This is one of the best female picture of all time! Super Cute.

Wisco left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 2:16 PM:

She’s got a great look, but somehow I pictured her with boat shoes or flats.  The ‘‘Drills do really lengthen her leg-line,  wow!

Katie Beverley left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 12:27 PM:

I love everything about her outfit!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 11:33 AM:

@robdarko—At times, layered pearl necklaces could cheapen the charm of a single strand; however, the layering of different sized pearls (or faux pearls) works for me here because of the length of her hair. A single strand is classy and elegant on a woman with her hair up off her neckline. I think she pulls it off here because her long hair plays down their brilliance.

@AMStarkey—Very good eye. Castle Hill is lovely at sunset.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 9:45 AM:

Perfect. Beautiful girl, spectacular background, effortless look. I love her espadrille wedges. This photo comes from heaven.

robdarko left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 9:24 AM:

Beautiful girl.  Everything fits and flatters her frame.  The vintage bag is a master stroke. 

You did say layered pearl “necklaces” right, F.E.C.?  Is wearing multiple pearl necklaces appropriate?  IMHO, it makes the actual necklaces appear cheap or faux?

Rosie Campbell left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 9:09 AM:

Classic outfit and beautiful scenery equals perfection.

www.rosiecampbell.net

The Boss left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 9:05 AM:

It’s refreshing to see a young lady wearing shorts that aren’t skin-tight. Too often women mistake warm weather for wearing as little as possible.

AMStarkey left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 8:22 AM:

Too cute! And at Castle Hill- where I was married two years ago this September. So beautiful!

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 8:04 AM:

The location is stunning which just adds to her fresh, effortless look. I mean it looks so easily put together. Hand claps.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 7:18 AM:

How appropriate! Patch made in heaven—for an angel. Fantastic.

naked left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 6:37 AM:

Amazing. the clothes, the attitude and the background match perfectly.

AEV left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 6:01 AM:

There you go - now that’s nearly perfect. Gorgeous.

• Lunch

Food & Drink  

Photographed in Amagansett, NY

It’s been here for five decades. Affectionately known as Lunch after the large sign on the roof, Lobster Roll remains the quintessential Hamptons seafood shack. My recent stint in East Hampton warranted a jaunt out to the roadside joint. The eponymous staple is served up in an overstuffed hotdog bun, with creamy mayo and crunchy celery to the delight of locals and celebrities alike. This seasonal spot welcomes families with a kid-friendly menu, a hospitable staff and casual dining area complete with outdoor picnic tables. The sun is dipping below the Amagansett horizon as we unwind to the raising of our beer glasses. I stick with my seafood go-to, fish & chips. Though not out of this world, it’s befitting of a small town dive (malt vinegar covers a multitude of sins). Eating so close to the road, the northeast summer isn’t lost on our dining experience. Maybe next time I’ll try the lobster roll.

1980 Montauk Hwy
    Amagansett, NY 11930

Jul 8, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Patrick left a comment on 7/30/2010 at 11:46 AM:

The lobster rolls are great, but the chowder and the Fish and Chips are other worldy

Glenn left a comment on 7/13/2010 at 1:04 PM:

Love the hipstamatic!  It’s my favorite photo app right now.

Bill Smith left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 7:17 PM:

Reminds me of a Lobster Shack in Kennabunkport my mom and dad used to take us to in the 1980s. Still remember the taste of the lobster rolls 25 years later.

Eric left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 8:51 PM:

@ Christian - it is worth the consequences.  Eat lobster rolls.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 6:11 PM:

Looks really awesome, too bad I’m alergic to lobsters.

Dan left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 1:59 PM:

You should.  It’s amazing.

Connetiquette left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 7:11 AM:

Will have to check this out - I’m a sucker for anything lobster roll related

• Got the Time?

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: British tan wingtips and skull & bones charm bracelet. Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Jul 7, 2010 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

A.F.T. left a comment on 12/28/2010 at 9:51 AM:

The reason hes dressed like that is because he works at the Rugby store that hes standing in front of…you have to wear the clothes.

GBS left a comment on 7/9/2010 at 11:19 AM:

I always believed the essentials of a true prep are ones that they should already own somewhere depth of their closet, whether it be the sun faded Nantucket Reds, dads hand me down Barbour that had been re waxed more times than one can remember, fallen apart but still functional Sperry’s, or the first Bush administration era Volvo that still runs great so it has yet to be replaced. Great blog, the comments at times are just as classic as the photos.

Socal BeachBoy left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 6:28 PM:

Where can I get these charm / cloth bracelets for men?

AEV left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 4:20 PM:

Spoozy - I imagine you can buy the Rugby stuff online. But, before you do that, go to jpressonline.com, paulstuart.com, bensilver.com, or brooksbrothers.com and you’ll see the same and even nicer stuff, probably for cheaper, that Rugby is shamelessly - and needlessly - copying and ruining….

spoozy left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 4:10 PM:

Maybe it´s just got to do with the fact that i am german and can´t really imagine “real” prep style, but i still like the preppy approach here. If he keeps the straight, pure line to Prep or not: i don´t care, really. He looks cool, he cites Preps (Oxford, Tie, shorts). If he is keeping it real or not, i don´t care.

gld left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 9:07 PM:

I love this outfit, though I am not a huge fan of these shoes paired with the rest. I really like how he chose a pink shirt with the navy shorts. Too often I see preps playing it safe with their color choices, but I applaud those who take a small risk.

P.S., I love this blog and think it takes just the right approach. If it didn’t cause some so-called controversy now and then, it would be awfully boring.

mjl left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 4:28 PM:

i like that belt.

M.D. Cooley left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 3:41 PM:

Keep up the good work FEC

Andy left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 3:41 PM:

I think everything about this look is great. 
    Cheers,
    ARS

Sam left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 2:01 PM:

While we are on the subject, I’d like everyone to check out my new blog that is catered towards college students that are on a low budget.  Not everyone can afford to buy Michael Bastian gear, so brands like Rugby and J. Crew offer affordable and high quality prep-inspired items.  My blog is in the very early stages, so I hope to add some pics off the street and of myself in the near future.  Please leave comments and feedback on my blog. 

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

robdarko left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 12:44 PM:

Unfortunately, I look super affected in embroidered pants/shorts.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 11:48 AM:

This gentleman is probably headed out of the city for the weekend with a pack that size.  With it being New York, he more than likely has another pair of shoes in his pack for long periods of walking (or in case it happens to rain).  Bags in NYC serve a more expansive function than in most other cities. One tends to carry more since you typically walk everywhere (and don’t have a car to store your articles).

JMH left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:41 AM:

I like the tie and the way it works with the outfit.

The Boss left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:37 AM:

Via RLRugby—“The rugged canvas and casual shape of this one makes it perfect for weekend wear (bear in mind that this is not a city bag, gentlemen).”

njprepster left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:18 AM:

@glenn the trick is to get loafer socks they are kind of just glorified peds but in a large enough size for me

Sam left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:14 AM:

I dig the look, but I am curious about rucksacks.  They look really interesting, but how do they look when actually worn on the back?  This one looks gigantic.  Hi look couldn’t possibly work with the sack on.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

Glenn left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 8:46 AM:

Great look, love the brogues with this. Whenever I wear them w/o socks I get blisters.  But man, that pack is full!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 7:22 AM:

Just awesome. I wouldn’t wear the tie, and the brogues are incongruous, but a splendid look nevertheless. Love the pink shirt and motif shorts.

I was going to remark that this photo looks as if it were taken on the streets of Karachi or Lagos, but I see it was snapped in NYC. My bad.

Jennifer left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 7:05 AM:

Hi there: Found you through a tip from a friend (Lindsey Potter). I love those shorts, Husband would wear those.  I like that belt as well.  www.SLPreppyStyle.com

• Take Ivy

Top Drawer | Music & Books | Prep Essentials  

Craig Cohen and Wes del Val will more than likely go down as unsung heroes—inconspicuous apostles reviving the cult phenomenon known as Take Ivy. The book, shot in 1965 by Japanese photographer Teruyoshi Hayashida, notoriously fetches upwards of $1,500 on eBay. It is rare, elusive and lauded by The New York Times as “a treasure of fashion insiders.” A small-run reprint was released in Japan in 2006 and sold out almost immediately. The unassuming collection of candid menswear-focused photographs perfectly encapsulates the unique student fashion on the campuses of America’s Ivy League universities. I have long pined for a copy. So it was much to my satisfaction that the guys from powerHouse Books put an advanced copy in my hands.

I sat down with them in their Brooklyn office to chat about the process in reviving the most highly sought after documentation of Ivy League style. Wes strolls up in his brown leather Sperrys and short sleeve sweatshirt. We instantly share a bond through an unspoken dress code. In thumbing through my copy, it is apparent Craig and Wes labored over every last detail in their Take Ivy reprint—right down to the bullet points. Although scans have popped up on the web via The Trad, few could actually read it—until now. And until the first English-language edition is released by powerHouse Books August 31st, you can pre-order yours ($16.50, Amazon.com) before it sells out in a New York minute.

Jul 6, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Cierra left a comment on 10/23/2010 at 6:42 PM:

This is very interesting

jeff left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 9:54 AM:

hi. do you have photos of prep school kids wearing plastered weejuns? thanks.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 11:00 AM:

@Thomas—It was a pleasure and I’m glad I could be of assistance.

Thomas VInciguerra left a comment on 7/13/2010 at 9:08 PM:

F.E., I’m doing a piece about the reissue of “Taking Ivy” for New York magazine and am in desperate need of your take on the cultural impact of the book. Please e-mail me to arrange a phone interview. Many thanks.—Tom

naked left a comment on 7/8/2010 at 2:32 AM:

Thanks for sharing this with us. I already pre-ordered it. Like always things are more expensive in Germany but I think it is a good spend at 20 €.

James left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:32 AM:

Got a chance to throughly check it out myself last weekend (via Street Etiquette’s Josh Kissi) and wow is the only reply I could muster up. Guys, this is definitely something to look forward to.

robdarko left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:24 AM:

Thank you for the reminder.

The Boss left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 10:23 AM:

I’m looking forward to reading the translated text.

Jennifer left a comment on 7/7/2010 at 7:19 AM:

Thanks for the tips!  Going to check it out now!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/6/2010 at 11:42 PM:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! A job quite well done. I appreciate it.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

RWF left a comment on 7/6/2010 at 5:38 PM:

I’m really looking forward to both Take Ivy and True Prep coming out this summer!

I’m also jealous you got to preview it!

I’ve compiled the photos we all have courtesy of the Trad in an online book format/downloadable pdf if anyone is interested!

http://www.pleasurablerevelation.com/2010/03/take-ivy.html

• A Matter of Instinct

Miscellany  

Jul 5, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Jay left a comment on 7/6/2010 at 11:23 AM:

chris- i feel for you. here is what it says. “style is primarily a matter of instinct - bill blass”

Chris left a comment on 7/5/2010 at 10:19 PM:

Could you use a script font that’s more illegible? I can still make out what it says…

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/5/2010 at 6:20 PM:

Great thought.

• Newer Posts Older Posts