• Del Toro Slippers

Style | Prep Essentials  

It’s 1:44am and Matthew Chevellard is texting me. He is out at a Miami club with his fellow boarding school classmate Joakim Noah, presumably celebrating in velvet Prince Albert slippers. We are resuming an interview cut short earlier that day when duty called. A groom had ordered 20 pairs of lobster embroidered slippers as gifts for his groomsmen. At the news they might not make it to Maine in time for the wedding, Chevellard contemplates intercepting them in Ohio so he can hand deliver them himself. It is now 2:27am and I am waiting on a response. Perhaps his phone is dead...or in a Miami cab.

The year is 2005. Matthew Chevellard is graduating from boarding school. While most kids are slipping class rings on their fingers, Chevellard wants to slip Prince Alberts onto his feet. Unfortunately, the school-crest embroidered pair are upwards of $900. With a couple of childhood friends, he does what any teenager would do—sets out to get what he wants his own way. And so Del Toro is born.

Navy Classic Velvet Slipper

Traditionally included in black tie, Prince Albert slippers were originally considered acceptable only for wear at home, hence their quilted lining. Del Toro approaches the Prince Albert as an everyday shoe in lieu of a black tie slipper. Chevellard brings the vamp up higher like a loafer, and employs a leather lining more capable of accommodating longer periods of wear. As much as he found himself in slippers running around south Florida, he burned through (sans socks) the quilted linings once a month. Although quilted linings appear more luxurious, they do not hold up. He immediately switched to leather.

Del Toro’s shoes are made just outside of Madrid, Spain. Custom embroidered orders run about 45 days and are stitched in south Florida after crossing the pond. At $165-$185 a pair, they are almost five times less expensive than other brands' bespoke Spanish offerings. Not only does Del Toro offer an array of designs and monogram configurations, they have a complete line for women. Order a half size up and you too can start pairing yours with black tie, jeans and everything in between.

My iPhone dings at 2:46am. It is a text from Chevellard.

Jul 23, 2010 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

daniel_drennen2@yahoo.com left a comment on 2/25/2012 at 7:10 AM:

want to buy

James W Grace left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 8:49 PM:

Do the monogrammed slippers go well with jeans too?

matthew chevallard left a comment on 7/28/2010 at 10:46 AM:

in regards to the season, for those who do adhere to conventions then the linen slippers are available as an alternative.  However, one who wears velvet slippers usually is going for assertiveness and comfort in their style not concerned with the status quo or what others think of them.

for any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me…Also feel free to call and ask for a discount for loyal readers of this blog!

Michael Hallett left a comment on 7/26/2010 at 6:59 PM:

I have a pair of the skull and bones in black and am waiting on a pair of the navy customized pair with my initials. Great slippers and brilliant service.

Cardion left a comment on 7/24/2010 at 4:48 PM:

I ordered a pair of the skull and bones from their website about 4 months ago, and I love them! Sometimes they’ll have additional sizes of particular brands in stock; thus, you would not have to wait the 45 days.

Julia R. left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 11:23 AM:

These are similar to Belgian loafers.

Love them!

robdarko left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 10:41 AM:

Hmmm, this is too dandy for me but I appreciate their beauty. 

@Laguna – My initials are RL… a blessing and a curse.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 10:29 AM:

I mean, maybe is not that it’s “perfect” but this shoes are indeed a geat alternative.

The Boss left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 10:01 AM:

I’ve always had a soft spot for velvet slippers, but I’ve never pulled the trigger—for a variety of reasons, of course. I’ll have to look further into this brand. Quite intriguing.

Christian Bourasseau—I issue a personal challenge to you: find other adjectives other than “perfect” to describe your sentiments. Use a thesaurus if you have to.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 9:28 AM:

Awesome shoes, great prices, the perfect alternative!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 7:43 AM:

Many thanks for the reminder. These look wonderful. I intended to get a pair embroidered with ‘AC’ on the vamp. Just the thing to wear while stepping outside the retrieve the morning FT.

pat s left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 7:09 AM:

awesome shoes, but there is no way the can live up to walking on the street in New York.

• Off Duty

Miscellany  

“Autumn has caught us in our summer wear...”         —Philip Arthur Larkin

This summer has whisked me away to the likes of Martha’s Vineyard, the Hamptons (for some Lunch), Rhode Island and the Cape. It’s been a WASPy rendezvous. The memories will linger long after the red fades from my complexion. An incredible summer at the very least yet I already feel its twilight on the horizon—as if truly autumn will catch us in our summer wear. It feels too soon. The lifeguards having deserted their stands, you hesitantly accept the day is coming to a close.

You can now hold onto the last days of summer with a special limited edition print of “Off Duty,” photographed on East Hampton’s Main Beach. Due to ongoing interest, 20 individually numbered prints (16”x20”) are now available for $200 each. First come, first serve. Simply .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to purchase.

Jul 22, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Pippa left a comment on 7/24/2010 at 4:19 PM:

It’s like the click click of the roller coaster going up. August whooshes by and suddenly you’re at the last clambake of the summer.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/22/2010 at 9:24 PM:

@Josh—Buy those saddles now while they are marked down (I picked mine up at the end of last summer). Wear them until Labor Day(ish). You will get plenty of miles out of them for summers to come. And to answer your question, navy/white saddles will not work in the fall/winter.  Brown suede/leather saddles will though.

Josh left a comment on 7/22/2010 at 9:11 PM:

Can white and navy saddle shoes be worn in the fall and winter months? I really want to get some like more than anything, but I want to make sure I can get a lot of mileage out of them, what with summers end just around the bend.

• Princeton Crew, 1948-‘50

Sports  

Christian Chensvold of Ivy Style introduced this little gem a couple of days ago and I simply could not refrain myself from folding it into the catalogue here. Shot 15 years before T. Hayashida’s pilgrimage, it is essentially an 8mm moving picture prequel to Take Ivy. When Chensvold scooped it up from Princeton Campus Life’s YouTube channel it only had a meager two views (at the time of this publication, 900). It is a lengthy watch at just under 20 minutes but worth its weight in brass buttons.

Actually need to pay attention during your summer term poli-sci lecture? Hit the highlights below:

• 2:58 Saddle shoes with no-break trousers
    • 4:36 Blazers and ties for travel

• 8:21 Sash crew tees and 4” shorts

• 8:31 Letterman sweaters

• 10:36 Weekender travel bags

• 13:32 Team spirit

• 13:54 V-neck sweater (notice fit)

Jul 21, 2010 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Michael left a comment on 7/23/2010 at 1:23 PM:

Amazing how much the quality of the film contributes.

G.T. left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 1:15 PM:

@ Emmy: You make a great observation based on your experience - that those 4” shorts were necessary.  The necessity is what makes the ivy-style so interesting.  We are constantly using things that were once worn as a necessity and turning them into a statement.  The length of a pair of shorts, the functionality of a pocket square, or the origin of the bow tie (a Croatian scarf that was adopted and transformed by the French) are all examples of adopting something used out of necessity and transforming it to fit your own personality and style.  Inspiration comes from everywhere, even 8mm tapes.

Emmy left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 11:50 AM:

I would actually have to disagree with JSS. As a female coxswain on a men’s crew team at one of the so-called “Catholic Ivys” on the East Coast, I’ve been to many of these race sites; the Harlem River (where Columbia rows, as well as Fordham, NYU, and Manhattan College) and the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia look remarkably the same.  The clothing choices, I have to admit, aren’t what they used to be - although the team does know how to look sharp when they have to.
    Either way, thanks for this fascinating look at rowing teams of the past, FEC.  Although I have to point out that those tiny 4” shorts are by no means a fashion statement, but a necessity. Before the advent of spandex, shorts longer than that would get caught in the slide (or seat) and throw off the rhythm of the entire boat. Eeek.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 11:46 AM:

I enjoyed alot this video. Thanks.

PS: 8:15 Sash crew tees and 4” shorts. That’s veeery short!

Chris left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 11:17 AM:

that lake was built by a princeton student’s wealthy parents.

JSS left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 11:09 AM:

I love this video. It is historical and beautifully shows a time that is no longer known to us. The more things change, it seems they stay the same [the style of dress], but the shorelines of the Charles river, NYC [not sure what river Columbia rows on], and views of Cayuga Lake looks shockingly different.  I currently live in Ithaca and have several family members attend Cornell, so I am forwarding the video to them. Thx.

• Primary Color Block

Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: cuffed short and vintage Dooney & Bourke handbag.

Jul 20, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

TWJ left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 8:52 PM:

I agree with LBT.  This looks like what I was use to seeing at the club back in my younger days.  Simple,eligant, and beautiful.

yesiamswedish left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 3:06 PM:

whoa!

soph left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 2:02 PM:

its sarah vickers

mjl left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 10:30 AM:

i like how she jacked her belt over a bit.  one of those “accidentally on purpose” prep things i dig.

prepfection.wordpress.com left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 10:25 PM:

Effortlessly fashionable!

Kaverlie Vairlard left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 8:20 PM:

I have been seeing this beautiful girl popping up all over blogs, twitter, clothing sites ect…  She is like the 2010 Jackie “O”.  Great style, prominence and classic beauty.  But Who is she??

The Boss left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 8:02 PM:

I have a massive crush on this girl. Her elegance and beauty are more than endearing.

bunny left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 4:16 PM:

loving the vintage dooney too and the great belt.

Wendy left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 1:57 PM:

Love the crisp white shirt with the pearls.  It is a quintessential New England preppy look.  Well done!

Elizabeth left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 11:22 AM:

I’ve noticed other women carrying vintage Dooney bags lately in New England. They can be had on ebay for anywhere from $20-200, depending on the style and color. I’ve got a couple myself, and I’m still amazed at how good they look and well they hold up over time when treated properly.

Beth Dunn left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 10:33 AM:

Stunning!
    xoxo
    SC

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 9:08 AM:

This picture is pure perfection. So many details. Everything matches so perfectly, I love the belt, the bracelet, her shorts, her handbag, in fact I like absolutely everything on this picture. Even the setting is perfect and of course we are in front of one very cute girl :) F.E C You a through to the next round :)

robdarko left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 8:52 AM:

Are layered pearls and vintage Dooney & Bourke bags the new trend for summer 2010?  Interesting.

IMHO:  This girl is wearing it very well.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 8:07 AM:

Good grief, she looks like every girl I ever knew at boarding school. Anyway, I love the combo of red bermudas and white shirt, and the accessories are out of this world. But it’s her hair that is the real star of this photo, IMO. Well done.

Andy left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 7:34 AM:

Is this the Kiel James Patrick belt showing up again?  Belt, bracelets and pearls…  the details make the photo here.  Very nice.

pat s left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 7:23 AM:

Nice job, love the way her bag matches the outfit.

• SAVE Khaki SS10 Look Book

Top Drawer | Style  

SAVE Khaki doesn’t want to tell you how to wear their clothes...they want me to. Well, not just me. David Mullen enlisted a handful of style bloggers to collaborate on a homegrown spring/summer look book. Shot in my own neighborhood of Fort Worth, I worked some of SAVE’s preppier offerings into my existing wardrobe of double monk straps, grosgrain ribbon and repp ties. The result is just one of many styles Mullen’s expansive basics can compliment.

Photographed in Fort Worth, TX

Photographs: F.E. Castleberry
    Styling: F.E. Castleberry, w/assistance by Sara Carpeaux
    Shirting & Chinos: SAVE Khaki
    Models: Michael, Sara and Buddy

Jul 19, 2010 | Permalink (53) View/Leave Comments

Layne left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 1:07 AM:

What a nice surprise to see Michael on your blog. These photos are rockin.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 8:33 PM:

@Nigel—The double monk straps are Ralph Lauren (made in Italy).

Nigel left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 8:20 PM:

I like the double monks. What make are they? C&J?

Maddie left a comment on 7/28/2010 at 8:04 AM:

Amazing style! As always, amazing pictures.

Joey dee left a comment on 7/28/2010 at 1:36 AM:

These photos are stunning. The model in the car reminds me of a screen shot from Tom Fords film, A Single Man. You have a gift.

Rock Harris left a comment on 7/26/2010 at 7:10 PM:

Ha! I saw her stuff on my hunt; thought it looked familiar. I’m going to have to commission one (and get the yellow one, too….)

Thanks!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/25/2010 at 11:04 PM:

@Rock—That gingham bow tie is made by XOELLE (http://www.etsy.com/shop/xoelle).

Rock left a comment on 7/24/2010 at 10:33 PM:

I love that bowtie. Who makes it? I gotta get me one!

gld left a comment on 7/24/2010 at 11:59 AM:

I don’t think I could come up with enough superlatives to describe this. Well done, sir.

Yuriy left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 1:30 PM:

These are awesome Fred. Love looking at your blog… and that BMW 2002 is sick.

JMW left a comment on 7/21/2010 at 9:23 AM:

Thanks so much for featuring someone with a fair complexion like mine. We all don’t have deep tans(although they are very nice) and he looks great!

Shane left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 4:58 PM:

Great look at the summer classics. You succesfully played in every summer style staple and wove them all together nicely. Props on the staging too, awesome locations.

www.shanefarmer.com

bunny left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 4:19 PM:

for me it’s all about buddy: the tennis playing labradoodle. he only plays with a wood racket and absolutely lives on the tennis courts. nice photos, as always.

Andy left a comment on 7/20/2010 at 7:32 AM:

Nothing that hasn’t already been said here.  Amazing shots; some of the best I’ve seen on here.  And the 2002 looks great.

anthony left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:32 PM:

amazing job fred. the dude in the navy chinos, green shirt and bowtie is rigged extremely well. those double monk straps are unreal—definitely going to follow your advice from a few weeks back and pick up a pair at RL as soon as possible.

James left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:13 PM:

Fred,
    This is THE BEST that you have ever posted on this blog.  There’s something you did here that seems pure and you.  Nothing commercial about this.  Just pure style.  Job well done!
    JB

meg left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 7:17 PM:

Wow.  The male model is absolutely beautiful.  What a handsome guy.

Elizabeth left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 3:28 PM:

Wonderful photos—really the essence of classic ease and style. And the dog is great—is s/he yours?

Timothy Hartley Smith left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 3:10 PM:

Ah…1972 BMW 2002tii…I have that car. Best ever!

Julie left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 3:05 PM:

WOW Fred!  I will admit I’m not much of a style guru, but I have been following this blog for quite some time now and this, in my opinion, is brilliant work.  You have turned me on to so much about this lifestyle!  I can see a personality shine through with this shoot and want to commend you for a job well done!

Sam left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 2:16 PM:

I really dig this lookbook.  I love that you stuck with a bunch of classics.  Its effortlessly stylish.

www.MensStyle101.blogspot.com

Leo left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 2:03 PM:

i love it Fred! They’re all cool images! keep it up!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 1:39 PM:

@Kate—The burger joint is Kincaid’s Hamburgers and is a Fort Worth staple. Definitely stop in while you are in town.

@Annabel—I am this man (style, energy)...unless you are specifically referring to his dashing good looks—which in that case you would need to defer to a modeling agency.

Kate left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 1:36 PM:

This is fantastic!  Also, I’m visiting friends in Fort Worth soon, and am wondering what the name of the burger joint in the top photos is.

Annabel left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 1:33 PM:

Absolutely love it. Do men like this actually exist? The photos and styles perfect.The dog and the car give it the best feel.

rhonda left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 1:07 PM:

These are awesome!  You just inspired me to break out my old ribbon belts.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 1:00 PM:

@MARCUS—The white bucks are Cole Haan (w/Nike Air).

MARCUS left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 12:58 PM:

what brand are the bucks?

Dex left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 12:46 PM:

OMFG!  Perfect style man, I am ‘mirin for sure. After all the critiquing of the Rugby models, all of this is done perfectly this is how I dress or aspire to look like when I get dressed and leave the house in the morning.

Trav left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 12:42 PM:

shot in the car= smooth as ice

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 12:37 PM:

@KFad—The unlined repp tie is from Rugby.

@Old Polo—I believe the dog is a Labradoodle.

@Francesco—The eyeglasses are by EyeBobs.

@MJL—A couple of the bloggers are Joshua Kissi and Travis Gumbs of Street Etiquette. The complete look book might appear on some various blogs in the very near future. I am not exactly sure when though.

georgie left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 11:54 AM:

Every single picture is outstanding! I especially love the black and white tennis photos. Great Work!

KFad left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 11:34 AM:

Just fantastic FEC. And accessible. These are looks I fancy actually wearing. Where’s that club tie from?

old polo left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 11:08 AM:

What breed of dog is that?

George left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 10:44 AM:

Love every photograph.  Brilliant!

naked left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 10:05 AM:

Amazing. I especially dig the green shirt and the BMW 2002. We Germans know how to build cars, huh?

Memphis88 left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 10:00 AM:

Well done.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:56 AM:

This pictures are fantastic, I really like them all. They are fun and they are quite original. I also love the old raquet and the BMW. Nice work F.E C!

Francesco left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:38 AM:

Great pictures.. I would like to know the brand of the eyeglasses. Thanks a lot. I am an italian fan of this blog.

Justin left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:33 AM:

Fantastic.  Wonderfully well done.

The Boss left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:19 AM:

The tennis b&w shots are easily the most inspirational photos of the lot. Candid, yet charming.

robdarko left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:09 AM:

Superb!  The pic with the iPod “boombox” has iconic potential.

DAM left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 9:04 AM:

This is really well done.

R left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:55 AM:

Is that really a 2002 BMW, it looks like an older E model? I must have one now, it is such a beautiful car.

Lara left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:51 AM:

Love these.  Nice work, my friend.

rakishurbane.blogspot.com left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:42 AM:

I like the final few tennis pictures most I think. The way he wears the jumper over the shoulders is very nice, very preppy!

Pittsburgh Perambulations left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:40 AM:

The dog is my favorite.  Just kidding!  These are fantastic shots.  Well done.

mjl left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:36 AM:

cool move mullen pulled with this.  who are the other bloggers?  and have the ‘published’ any of their work yet?

CLG23 left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 8:14 AM:

I really like this…looks like fun
    the picture leaning on the car with the iPod stereo is funny. Also the “Air guitar” with the tennis racket

great shoot my man

Trailer Trad left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 7:36 AM:

Wow. Great stuff. -Has everything: terrific clothes, BMW 2002, Jack Purcells, woodie racquet, shaggy dog etc.

Warning though. Don’t play tennis in those Converse. -Your dogs will be barking after five minutes!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 7:13 AM:

Outstanding. The colours here are amazing. Like the haircut and hornrims. A preppy James Dean. Appreciate the tennis shots. Well done.

Paul left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 7:05 AM:

Everwhere I look I see ribbon belts.  So far this summer I’ve purchased three - Great post.

eyefivestyle.com left a comment on 7/19/2010 at 6:35 AM:

Great shoot, love that minty green shirt with the bow tie.

• Newer Posts Older Posts