• Schoolgirl

Dress Code  

Photographed in New Canaan, CT

Noteworthy: collar pin, military tie-tuck. Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Aug 17, 2010 | Permalink (22) View/Leave Comments

Kirsti left a comment on 5/17/2011 at 11:45 PM:

Great look.

JRD left a comment on 5/17/2011 at 12:31 PM:

i know her! shes awesome and has great style this is a great look for her!

Mix left a comment on 9/2/2010 at 10:27 PM:

I live in new Canaan, prep heaven

Bill Smith left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 8:29 PM:

Great look and she’s adorable.

Joey dee left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 7:29 PM:

Wow best post. I love the brand a is more prep than brand c which at it’s core is preppy with several spins applied but who cares? Really people? The rule is there are no rules wear it, be sure it fits proper, be confident. Best post yet. Like going to a tea party about who’s preppy who’s not!

TS left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 8:37 PM:

in my humble opinion, the heels don’t work.  i do like the gold watch as it compliments the hardware on the shorts very well.  as far as the tie tuck goes, i’m undecided.  she’s got a great smile and exudes confidence so she still pulls it off. 

thanks for posting FEC!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 3:44 PM:

When I see a post or a picture that I personally like I will always say a positive comment about it. When I see a picture or a post that I don’t like I usually don’t post anything. I like this picture and in my opinion she looks unabashedly prep and natural.

Kate Higdon left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 1:09 PM:

I work in men’s retail and love to see women take a traditionally male item (or two or three…) and use it for a beautiful, feminine look. I love the club collar.

Baby Bootlegger left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 12:38 PM:

To me, this woman doesn’t seem out of place/context at all.  Well, maybe, in a too good to be true sort of way.  But I wish I saw an outfit like this more often.  Which brings me to a quite possibly dumb question:
    @FEC-Are these photographs of complete strangers you bump into?  The ones from the wedding a few weeks ago seemed to be.  As opposed to yesterday’s post which wasn’t.  Today’s pic has been featured on Rugby’s blog.  Does that mean she is a model?  How can we tell the difference?

bunny left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 12:16 PM:

super cute

Straw Boater left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 12:05 PM:

Very, very hot.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 11:15 AM:

Great look!

JMH left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 10:33 AM:

Were I a girl and my body type allowed it, I would wear this out and about.

Eric left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 9:50 AM:

She is absolutely gorgeous. I love the little tucked in tie, it adds color and is such a unique twist.

Michael left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 9:47 AM:

Just stunning.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 9:35 AM:

Great look. She looks natural and I love her pants. She looks classy and pretty.

robdarko left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 9:21 AM:

This girl defines the word cute.

haroldF left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 9:10 AM:

She is owning that.

trini prep left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 8:56 AM:

Gorgeous. This blog is beginning to have me think that prep style is infallible!

A.Willis left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 8:55 AM:

Possibly one of the best looking girls ever

Andy M. left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 8:07 AM:

Goodness.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 7:10 AM:

Adorable.

• Shades of Gray

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: cotton madras pocket square. Ask for Gray the next time you visit Sid Mashburn's shop. Not only will he offer you a beer but he will play a record of your choice (I chose Broken Bells).

Aug 16, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Fredrick left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:59 AM:

This is my guy.  He does his own look as good as anyone I know.  Everytime I see him he’s doing something I secretly admire.  Love the rig!

Canaan&Able; left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 10:52 AM:

Like the beat-to-hell loafers. Not “Boston cracked shoe” just yet, but get the duct tape ready in the next few months, Gray.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 2:44 PM:

@JMW-Gray is wearing a chocolate brown suede loafer (split toe).

JMW left a comment on 8/17/2010 at 12:26 PM:

He looks great and it sounds as if he gives excellent customer service, as well! What kind of shoes is he wearing? I love ‘em!

Victoria left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 10:21 PM:

Oh wow, he is beautiful and beautifully dressed.

Mat left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 9:38 PM:

Gray helped me out on my last visit, good guy.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 2:19 PM:

@Glenn—I prefer pairing blazers (especially navy w/gold buttons) with denim. A suit jacket more often than not is going to look very wrong.

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 12:18 PM:

Great look! Everything flows real well!

Glenn left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 11:04 AM:

FEC-do you know if that’s a suit jacket or a blazer. It looks to me like a suit jacket (not that it’s a problem)  I ask because I’ve been experimenting with this look with a couple of nice orphaned jackets, my fear is that it can look to mis-matched.  This however looks well put together.  Thoughts?

Andy M. left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 9:16 AM:

@Deanna, Sid’s wife just opened Ann Mashburn in the same complex, so you may be in luck.

Great outfit at a brilliant store.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 8:47 AM:

Very nice picture.  I specially like the jacket, the shirt, the jeans and even the belt. Thumbs up!

Paul left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 8:15 AM:

Ah Matt, what a helpful fellow.  Spent a good hour talking to him during my last visit talking about the most random things… clothing related and otherwise.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 7:58 AM:

This is an awesome look! Really well done.

Ben left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 7:56 AM:

I really like the look and have always struggled with trying to pull of the navy blazer and denim.

Is that a knit tie?

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 7:44 AM:

Sounds like my kind of store - if only it sold women’s clothing!

Love your blog - it’s a must read for me. Thanks for representing NE gals like me!

SunMan left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 7:39 AM:

Brilliant! I’ve been looking for a great suit jacket, something that fits as amazing as this. Jeans also a great fit, taking notes now. Well done gentlemen.

• Adirondack Chair

Miscellany  

by LeeAnne Jackson

I would like to think that everyone has a magical place where they can escape to. A place where all our worries melt away, and you can truly let go of all apprehensions. I have that place, and it's sitting in a well worn, slatted chair on the beach in Nantucket, staring out at a beautiful New England sunset. When I think of that moment, I am immediately taken back to one of the best summers of my lifetime. That summer was the beginning of many adventures. I can feel the wind on my face like yesterday. The smell of the surf, the sound of the gulls, the tide, and the laughs of my friends as we drank ice cold brew and flew our kites, our mopeds parked just off the sandy path.

Photographed in Newport, RI

When you imagine sitting on the beach in New England, it's hard to picture without a shaker style cottage with well worn Adirondacks out front. These chairs, often painted white for contrast, or well worn to match the shingles of the homes, having withstood the salty brine of many summers before, are the epitome of the beach chair. Originally designed by Thomas Lee in 1903 in the Adirondacks of New York, he lent his idea to a friend, Henry Burnell, who turned the design into a full-fledged business. He applied for and was granted a patent for the design in 1905. Flash forward over one-hundred years, and the Adirondack chair is an institution at vacation homes around New England and the Southern United States. From picnics, to mountain cabins, and beach cottages, the chair is the perfect place to lay low with a bowl of clam chowder, or an ice cold beverage carefully balanced on the wide arms. The perfect spot to rest your favorite summer refreshment. The slatted, contoured back, and deep seat provide comfortable seating for those of any age, even those of the canine variety, or a pair of summer lovers.

The sight of one of these iconic pieces instantly brings a smile to my face. The magical summer I spent in New England opened the door to my love of traveling, of letting go, and finding myself. No matter where I am, whether walking into an interview, singing in front of thousands, or going on a first date, I can picture sitting in one of these chairs, and I'm instantly transported to that secluded, serene beach. Reminding me that at any moment, I can curl up and all the troubles in life can fade away, with the gentle ease of a summer New England breeze.

Aug 13, 2010 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Kristin left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 3:44 PM:

Serenity is definitely evoked by the image of a classic Adirondack chair. J’adore!

Meredith Morgan left a comment on 9/17/2010 at 12:53 PM:

So true how our adventures into new things and places, even when temporary - perhaps especially when temporary, can carry us for years to come. I love this Lee Anne and can’t wait to read more.

KK left a comment on 8/16/2010 at 10:32 PM:

One of my summer highlights is sitting by the fountain in my bright pink adirondack chair with a tall glass of something cold.  Fabulous!

Kris Bunch left a comment on 8/15/2010 at 2:33 PM:

I recently bought a set of new Adirondacks for my back porch but they’re just not the same as the old worn ones I grew up with as a kid. Excellent work Lee Anne!

Á.D. Castro left a comment on 8/14/2010 at 8:31 PM:

Very well done…

Frank Becsi left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 9:01 PM:

Outstanding! I loved these chairs but never knew what they were called.

Lee Anne Jackson left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 5:40 PM:

Fred,
    It was an honor to be featured on Unabashedly Prep. I look forward to writing again soon! Your style and passion inspire me to be creative in all that I do. Thanks for encouraging me to hone my craft.

anthony left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 5:09 PM:

great piece fred.

• Southern Uniform

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: Randolph Engineering aviators, two tone boat shoe, cuffed shorts, English bridle leather equestrian belt.

Aug 12, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

joeydee left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 2:08 PM:

thanks andy m.for the update. i do love emory and morningside. atl has lots of great neighborhoods. i am now in the gulfcoast, while i do miss atl, i would not trade the weather. i do miss the cold sometimes, but sun and beaches anytime.

Mark Sinclair left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 12:13 PM:

Love the shorts, shoes, watch and aviators. The rolled shorts are an interesting fashion statement that I could never pull off. The only dislike I have is the shirt—It is a great shirt, but I am fan of polos with shorts. Thanks for the fashion inspiration and I love your website.

Andy M. left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 8:44 AM:

@Joey Dee, for coffee try Octane as well… One in west midtown and another around Emory.  It’ll knock your socks off.

TS left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 2:49 AM:

Fred, this photo is phenomenal.

Laguna Beach Trad, I live here as well and would love to see more people dressed like Fred on the street!

bunny left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 8:59 PM:

nice shoes. i like the washed out blue the vintage shorts have worn to.

Nate left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 7:29 PM:

@SES… Some of us NC boys DO dress like this!!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 7:14 PM:

Nice. I prefer Persols and solid-coloured boat shoes myself, but the rest of the uniform is spot on. Wish more people around here would wear such clothing. Instead, we get t-shirts, denim, flop-flips, and tattoos.

SES left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 6:59 PM:

hm. wish this was the uniform for the men in north carolina… we should only be so lucky.

Joey dee left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 4:42 PM:

Love the look and the shorts from the thrift store; I love the thrift store! Some of the best vintage stuff can be acquired there. I love atlanta especially Virginia highlands, midtown and buckhead. Lots to do. Little five is fun, just down the road and best coffee at sanfrancisco coffee co. Local roasted! This is an interesting look for shorts. Will try on weekend.

Elizabeth left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 2:51 PM:

Stuff, one of the free Boston weeklies, recently listed boat shoes among its “Hot 100” this year. They were predicting wildly colored shoes but I haven’t seen a lot of that. I like the two-tones you’ve got here, though.

Richard Ross left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 1:58 PM:

I think I’m wearing the same outfit today. My tweaks are my grandfather’s loafers and green, round Ralph Lauren sunglasses.

Baby Bootlegger left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 12:24 PM:

The Randolphs are a great touch.  They look sharp…I dig.

AEV left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 12:08 PM:

Just hem the shorts if you want them shorter - the roll looks silly (and super girly). And, I’ve never dug the “fasion” boat shoes, with mixed colors, etc. If you must wear boat shoes on land, at least wear ones that were created with function in mind…

Al left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 11:01 AM:

I’m digging the shorter shorts look. @F.E.C., are those shorts rolled up or tailored?

Andyt M. left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 10:08 AM:

Love this outfit and particularly those shoes.  Fred, where in Atlanta is this?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 9:09 AM:

Nice picture. Looks very vintage.

• Falling In Love

Style  

The September issue of Details reminisces with a nostalgic editorial shot by Dan Martensen. Featuring the best clothes for fall weekends—from chunky knit cardigans to shearling coats—all inspired by Erich Segal’s Love Story. For those not familiar, author/screenwriter Erich Segal is the man solely responsible for coining the moniker “Preppy” in his 1970 best-selling novel. Although he did not consider himself Preppy, he defined its essence. “He’s a guy who dresses perfectly without trying to. He appears to do everything well with ease"...just like his Harvard alum protagonist Oliver Barrett IV.

Aug 11, 2010 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

Sunday left a comment on 8/26/2010 at 9:08 AM:

I was just reading this on the plane. Great shoot. Love the refined-ness for the fall. Thanks for sharing.

Jareddd left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 10:26 PM:

info on the female model?

fsp left a comment on 8/15/2010 at 3:34 PM:

Amazing. A nice form of Story-telling & and opening the imagination for style …

Alexandra left a comment on 8/13/2010 at 2:46 PM:

Are bare breasts preppy? I was under the impression that the goal of the prep woman was to be as un-sexy as possible.

bunny left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 8:57 PM:

they both have such great hair.

Elizabeth left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 2:14 PM:

Ooh, I love this. Great pictures, great clothes, both of them are gorgeous.

Conchi left a comment on 8/12/2010 at 6:56 AM:

So goods outfits. J’Aime. Too hot now for thinking in Fall.

http://myjewelsandmore.blogspot.com/

Curtis J. left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 9:48 PM:

a boob out of no where!

K left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 6:55 PM:

Beautiful people and beautiful clothing. The photos are amazing!

Sloane Raver left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 5:46 PM:

His hair is perfect.

http://thehoorayhenry.blogspot.com/

TS left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 4:39 PM:

I simply adore the film and this editorial is composed beautifully.  I’ll have to pick up a copy for myself.  Thanks for lookin’ out! ;)

Cary Randolph left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 3:23 PM:

BEAUTIFUL! Makes me wish I had a boyfriend and head of thick brunette hair. Love love love.

ALSO LOVE: our party invitation:)

NW DC left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 2:03 PM:

Love Love Love the nude shot

www.lacrosseplayground.com

ACH left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 11:21 AM:

A bit racier that I remember Love Story being, but great pictures nevertheless.  Thanks for sharing!

makingstuffanddoingthings.wordpress.com

Mark Sinclair left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 10:30 AM:

She is nothing short of spectacular….

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 9:44 AM:

Very good pictures.

Andy M. left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 8:25 AM:

Fantastic shots, particularly those below the nude.  Not that I’m complaining about that one!

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 8/11/2010 at 7:04 AM:

Lovely.

• Newer Posts Older Posts