• Polo Green

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: burnished penny loafer.

Aug 24, 2010 | Permalink (30) View/Leave Comments

Quincy left a comment on 3/12/2011 at 8:43 PM:

jeans + loafers = perfection.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/1/2010 at 12:07 AM:

@Ted Roosevelt—I’ll start that today…off to soccer practice to presumably maintain my “figure.”

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/31/2010 at 12:22 PM:

This is 100% preppy and this style is been used since at least 50 or 60 years ago.

Mark Sinclair left a comment on 8/30/2010 at 10:35 PM:

Love the look. The shoes are fab!

Ted Roosevelt left a comment on 8/30/2010 at 6:20 PM:

This is contemporary - along the lines of J Crew. The look is modern chic. The question must always be: Can I wear this in 10, 20, 30 years?

Hannah left a comment on 8/25/2010 at 10:51 PM:

Love the outfit. I tend to like your photos of guys more than your photos of girls. More classically prep.

Omniscientcause left a comment on 8/25/2010 at 10:05 PM:

i dress like this to work on a daily basis…but yes I work at RL

good stuff F.E.C. I’ve been following your blog for awhile and good stuff keep it up.

Justin left a comment on 8/25/2010 at 9:49 PM:

@F.E. Castleberry - Front tucking rocks.  Seriously.  I practice it everywhere but work.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/25/2010 at 12:21 AM:

I think he said once that he gets them from Smart Turnout.

Zack left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 11:14 PM:

You always have the nicest grosgrain watch straps. Where do you get them?

Laguna Beach Prep left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 8:46 PM:

Crikey, this is an awesome photo! This young chap looks like a Polo model. Green polo, white denim trousers, ribbon belt, tan loafers, muscular forearms, side-parted hair. Classic.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

Dane-Andrew left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 8:25 PM:

Very intelligent !

bunny left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 6:26 PM:

colors read gucci. equine. southern prep. reminds me of sid’s story about his sisters bf’s. it’s great.

will left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 6:07 PM:

are those 501s?

Bill Smith left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 4:54 PM:

Classic look, I got the same shirt and I love it.

Nate left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 4:26 PM:

Are those the new RL made in the USA loafers?

Elmo left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 4:09 PM:

Nice Lincoln Mark V there in the background.  Sweet ride.

CLG23 left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 3:35 PM:

well played sir…well played
    the pants length is a thing of personal taste which isnt that of my own, but STILL, great look. And I like how the neon lights compliment the shirt and belt.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 3:06 PM:

The belt looks so good, and it obviously shows up because its function is to hold up the pants and it keeps the polo tucked in. Brilliant outfit!

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 2:33 PM:

Looks great, I really like that everything is the right size and the right fit.

Rhonda left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 2:11 PM:

I absolutely love this look.

Joey dee left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 12:46 PM:

Great look. Your jeans are always meticulous. Not sure about the green, it always haunts me of school uniforms.

Elizabeth left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 11:30 AM:

Looking good. The hunter green polo is especially nice.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 10:08 AM:

Great look! I specially like the loafers and the belt. The polo is great too.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:39 AM:

Love the smile. More people should be happy in their clothing. The hunter green color is a great way to usher in fall. The white pants are great. Keep knocking ‘em dead.

cws left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:28 AM:

Great belt…

Brad Corona left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:27 AM:

The loafers are ace, and the break (or lack thereof) on the jeans is perfect.

Mattie P left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:22 AM:

coming from a rugby playing background I must confess how nice it is to see people athaletic builds looking good.  clothes so often seem cut for either the fat or the skiney.  please keep up the good work

Rashidi left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:15 AM:

I like the tucked polo looked. Digging the loafers too. Did Sid alter the 501’s for you?

I’ve lived in Atlanta for 14 years, and I rarely go to Fat Matt’s. I normally go to Fox Bros. for BBQ. Best wings ever!

mjl left a comment on 8/24/2010 at 9:11 AM:

cole haan air rivingtons.  nice play.  i wear mine like they’re going out of style.

• Ralph Lauren Singleton Loafer

Prep Essentials  

“In Japan, consumers want English things to be from England, French things to be from France and American things to be made in America. It’s a quality that I believe is derived from a devotion to authenticity.”      —Michael Williams

In search of the perfect penny loafer, I found them in Ralph Lauren’s Singleton Burnished Loafer ($475). Proudly made in America by Mainer craftsmen, these embody the panache of genuine Maine hand-sewns. Previously Ansewn (until around 2003), Bangor, Maine’s Highland Shoe Co. hand-sews leather shoes for the likes of Polo, Bass (Weejuns), Paul Stuart and Sid Mashburn. The hand-stitched leather sole and outside reinforced heel feel solid on my feet. Apparently only available at RalphLauren.com, I found myself fit testing with other American made models in Ralph Lauren stores and moved a half size down. They fit brilliantly. And despite its presence in the current trend, the penny loafer is a simple, classic and understated shoe with practical, long-term fashion value.

*The penny loafer originated in the 1930s. Somewhat unbelievably, this fashion started with the Spaulding company when they produced shoes styled after those of Norwegian dairy farmers that had appeared in an article in Esquire Magazine.

Aug 23, 2010 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Andrew left a comment on 12/20/2013 at 5:46 PM:

Greetings from a long-time reader (and first time post-er),

I was fortunate enough to come by a pair of these loafers and was wondering if you might impart some wisdom as to how you care for yours; regarding, water proofing and general maintenance.

Best,

Andrew

George left a comment on 12/5/2013 at 11:27 AM:

You didn’t talk about the penny! Otherwise, nice shoes. There are light years of difference between RL and RL Polo; these are the former…and better.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/25/2012 at 1:28 AM:

@Johnny Reb—While still being made in America, Allen Edmonds makes similar styles to this penny loafer at a less expensive price point.

Johnny Reb left a comment on 3/22/2012 at 4:48 PM:

Can anyone answer ZG’s comment. Much appreciation.

ZG left a comment on 11/24/2011 at 12:45 AM:

I love the way these look but, being a college student, these are a little out of my price range at the moment. Do you know of any less expensive look alikes?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 12:15 PM:

@Mark Adams—Here are some options.

mark adams left a comment on 8/30/2010 at 8:28 PM:

what color socks do you wear with these shoes and navy pants

Joey dee left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 6:14 PM:

Hats off to Ralph Lauren making something in USA. in these times, nothing could be more important than buying American, whether it’s shoes, local organic strawberries, ETSY. It is high time we as consumers and citizens for better dressing start supporting the artisans and producers in our back yards and neighborhoods. The shoes are fabulous, by the way.

fsp left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 4:55 PM:

These are really great but, believe me, the Loafers from Lottusse are greater!

Genevieve left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 2:23 PM:

These are great, but I would love to see some women’s shoes on here once in awhile!

Mark Sinclair left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 12:58 PM:

Love this loafer, great choice! The story is a nice read as well. Thanks.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 11:28 AM:

They are a real beauty.

Doc left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 11:10 AM:

They are quite stunning looking shoes, though I am somewhat astonished that you did not have success with Allen Edmonds.  Their Westchester has been around for some time, is hand-made, and is beautiful in every dimension.  For only a few dollars more than the RL you feature, one can have a pair of Westchesters in cordovan in a myriad of sizes and widths (perfect for my 12B feet!). 

I find the simple lines of both shoes attractive.  Leave the beef roll to more casual shoes.

AEV left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 10:38 AM:

These are really, really nice….though, in my mind, nothing beats an Alden shell cordovan penny - and, I’m guessing, they cost about the same.

Also nice to see RL selling American made shoes…I didn’t like the Italian made models they were selling last season, and I never understood why folks paid the RL premium for UK made shoes you could always buy direct from the manufacturer for less….

L.A.S left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 10:06 AM:

Where’s the beef…roll?

• Madras Four-In-Hand

Dress Code  

Photographed in Greenwich, CT

Noteworthy: dirty white bucks, dressed up shorts. Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Aug 20, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Ellebelle left a comment on 8/23/2010 at 9:09 PM:

THIS BOY IS HOT

Joey Dee left a comment on 8/21/2010 at 11:26 PM:

Max, this guy and others are always alone because, and correct me if wrong, they are rugby sales associates modeling the look of the line. They look great doing it. It is nice to see kids making an effort to to get dressed and not look like something that got kicked off a rap video set.

Mattie P left a comment on 8/21/2010 at 6:35 AM:

big fan of this look.  wish madras ties were easier to come by in my part of the world..

bunny left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 4:43 PM:

i love a madras tie. never see ‘em irl but i don’t exactly live in a prep haven.

Emmy left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 12:31 PM:

I’m not really a fan of the white peter pan - looking collar, but it’s a nice look nonetheless.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 11:41 AM:

This picture is absolutely fantastic.

JMW left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 10:40 AM:

Gosh! I haven’t bought any white bucks in years and this is inspiring me to do so. Nice photo!

Laguna Beach Prep left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 9:00 AM:

Totally epic, dude. Love those dirrrty bucks. He’s sitting on the lawn of my church.

Max left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 8:09 AM:

Cool look.  How come these people are always alone though?

AndrewSo left a comment on 8/20/2010 at 7:15 AM:

I love it; this is so me!  I have a belt that looks almost identical to his and I wear it all summer long.  I think bucks are a bit cliché (I prefer a pair of unlined, chocolate brogues or simple white canvas sneakers) but he looks absolutely charming.

• Sucker for Gingham

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: seersucker gingham sport shirt (two quintessential summer fabrics utilized in one shirt), Randolph Engineering aviators, pleated chino skirt.

Aug 19, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Brooke left a comment on 12/23/2011 at 8:16 PM:

I’m curious about the belt, do you know who makes it?

william Adegoke left a comment on 8/31/2011 at 8:33 PM:

i love your style .... his my dream be one of your member, and be a desiger. i want more from you.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/22/2010 at 11:58 AM:

@East Egg—J.Crew.

east egg left a comment on 8/21/2010 at 8:20 PM:

Who makes the shirt?

WestEgg left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 4:07 PM:

The double belt is a great relic of ‘80s prep—we called them “safari belts,” for no discernible reason—but one of the loops should be lower slung and fall asymmetrically: insouciant, like a tangled double strand of pearls.

chino couture left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 4:04 PM:

awesome! I would really love to wear this :)

http://chino-couture.blogspot.com/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 1:47 PM:

@JMH—Her skirt is made of cotton (chino).

bunny left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 1:05 PM:

belt is fun. i love her wrist jewelry. the nude shoe is starting to grow on me. looks cute on her and the rugby teen.

The Boss left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 9:48 AM:

Noteworthy: Castleberry’s father in the background.

pat s left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 7:58 AM:

great pose love the outfit.

JMH left a comment on 8/19/2010 at 7:57 AM:

I anticipate a bit of a reaction to the double belt, but I like how it looks, as well as what she is doing with her sunglasses.  FEC, what material is her skirt made of?  It might be my screen, but I can’t quite tell.

• Tennis

Music & Books  

Who needs four degrees from Columbia when you have an eight-month sailing voyage under your belt? Denver husband-and-wife duo Patrick Riley and Alaina Moore plunked down some cash on a sailboat, packed their bags and set sail on an eight-month voyage along the East Coast. “I started seriously saving for a sailboat four years ago,” Riley recalls. The indie-pop pair subsequently produced an EP under the preppy moniker Tennis that conveyed their journey in a way their sailing blog, White Satin Gloves, just simply couldn’t. “Every song reminds of time, place, people and experiences. There were no instruments on the boat—we had to acquire all the musical equipment we sold to take the trip in the first place,” said Moore.

This past year, they have been working ever since they returned, affording them another small sailing trip. “I’m hoping that rather than documenting our experiences, we’ll be able to have a third-person overview of our life back in the States.” Though they do not intend to continue drawing on their sailing experience for inspiration, their full length Brian Wilson-meets-Daniel Johnston lo-fi pop album South Carolina is impressive given it’s origins in a $1,600 petty cash fund and a knowledge of the seas originating entirely from “The Annapolis Book of Seamanship” and DVDs.

Aug 18, 2010 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

Eric left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 10:19 PM:

Downloaded the EP. Absolutely love it, recording quality gives it such a far away, almost nostalgic quality. I only wish that it was a whole album rather than just three songs.

Joey dee left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 7:18 PM:

Not my favorite post but the music is good.

TS left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 2:33 PM:

what fun!!!  i clicked over to their blog and have spent the last fifeteen minutes reading about their adventure.  excited to check out the album know.  thanks FEC!

Mark Sinclair left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 9:26 AM:

What a fun thing to do!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 8/18/2010 at 8:30 AM:

Curious. I know a couple who took the same journey and yet did not produce an EP about it. I bet their stories are better.

• Newer Posts Older Posts