• Night Rider

Dress Code  

Photographed in Boston, MA

Oct 29, 2010 | Permalink (28) View/Leave Comments

John left a comment on 1/25/2012 at 7:10 PM:

Hope you don’t mind, I used this photo to show the inspireation behind my daughters outfit on facebook. Not used for anything else just that.

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 2:54 PM:

This is the best picture of this friend of yours, ever.

Sarah V left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 7:36 PM:

Thanks for the compliments. For those of you wondering about my outfit- The boots are from J Crew a few seasons back, the bag is Dooney and Bourke; and of course I’m wearing a Kiel James Patrick bracelet and belt :)

DEX left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 12:36 PM:

Any word on the maker of these boots or a hint to where similar boots can be found, I have a female friend interested in getting a pair.

Lucy left a comment on 11/2/2010 at 12:58 PM:

Loving this look… One that I partake in on a regular basis :) In the fall of course!

Heather left a comment on 11/2/2010 at 9:28 AM:

Absolutely fabulous.

K left a comment on 10/31/2010 at 6:46 PM:

Sarah always looks great! Love this outfit too!

john left a comment on 10/30/2010 at 9:28 PM:

impressive

bunny left a comment on 10/30/2010 at 3:11 PM:

great picture. love the plaid peeking out of the navy sweater. and how the sweater & plaid coordinate perfectly with her blue and orange bag.

Pan left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 8:30 PM:

Vickers you are beautiful! This outfit, like all of your others, is fabulous!!!

trailer trad left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 6:42 PM:

Her look takes me back to highschool when I cleaned horse stalls in the summer. Think Ally McGraw competing in dressage.

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 3:51 PM:

I really love this look—the different blues look good together, and the colorful shirt is the perfect touch to keep it all interesting. Where did she get the bag?

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 2:41 PM:

Sarah, you are a beautiful lady.

tammy left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 1:28 PM:

She looks beautiful and elegant.  I think I’ll wear a similar outfit on Monday.

Penny left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 1:02 PM:

This is a really cool equestrian look! I ride English so I wear this myself often—and I didn’t even have to go out and buy the pieces!

Vern Trotter left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 1:00 PM:

Do yourself a favor and have more pictures like this instead of the lads in shrunken clothes!

Kris left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 11:55 AM:

Those boots are perfect.  Are they RL?  I have black riding boots & have been looking for a pair in cognac brown.  Great look!

BJP left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 11:52 AM:

She looks great. Absolutely fantastic.

s left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 10:42 AM:

At which stores can I find these clothes? And the boots?

Dallas left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 10:15 AM:

I would pay money to know her hair routine. Truly. Sarah’s always amazing!

Andy M. left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 8:23 AM:

That should be in a Ralph Lauren ad.  Perfect.

Christian left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 8:05 AM:

Flawless.

AEV left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:57 AM:

nice look - the bag is great.

cws left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:50 AM:

Stunning…

EdoubleM.blogspot.com left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:29 AM:

I love this picture! It is so perfect! The way the navy pops in the night background and the way her hair matches those equestrian boots. Perfecto!

James left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:29 AM:

DUN…to perfection.  Often mistaken, but this is HOT!

john lexinghton left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:27 AM:

wow! perfection, those boots are super,

pat s left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 7:16 AM:

Those boots are amazing, really the whole ensemble is perfect!

• Jack & Jackie

Culture  

"We would like to live as we once lived, but history will not permit it." —John F. Kennedy

Image by Richard Avedon

Oct 28, 2010 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

kendra left a comment on 12/30/2010 at 1:15 AM:

I love the Kennedy. They are the perfect picture of a preppy family. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

meg left a comment on 10/31/2010 at 11:05 PM:

Gah, I love the Kennedy family.

Joey Dee left a comment on 10/31/2010 at 12:12 PM:

This quote cannot be truer. Hopefully we will make our way back soon.

K left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 10:52 PM:

Love the Kennedys and these pictures are beautiful.

bunny left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 10:15 PM:

sweet family photos. my faves are always the candid ones too. i love jackie’s dress!

David left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 5:36 PM:

What great pictures, I can’t believe I’ve never seen these.

iris left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 3:16 PM:

Oh well i don’t know… for me style and personal life are intrinsically mixed. Give me Paul Newman over JFK any day. Just like I find a barfing Englishman in Gran Canaria on hols - even if he’s in Barbour, Ralph Lauren, Tods or Aubin and Wills slightly less preppy than a New Jersey dude in Ed Hardy who however radiates confident and charming serenity and behaves like a gent.

What can you say. Women! Always mix pleasure and business ;)

Like Jackie though, kind of. Nice dresses, nice body. Bit too obedient and suffering for my taste though.

http://thenetizon.blogspot.com/

Dan left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 1:10 PM:

@Zach Hollingshad two fantastic ones are Life in Camelot by Philip Kunhardt, which is very old school with a ton of unseen photos.  Also the above are in Avedon’s book The Kennedy’s: Portrait of a Family.

Zach Hollingshad left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 10:38 AM:

Do you have a recommendation of a good JFK book that is mostly pictures of him and Jackie?

Andy M. left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 7:59 AM:

Say what you will about JFK’s personal life, dislike his politics if you want, you can’t deny that his presidency showcased an elegant, glamorous style that hasn’t been seen since and probably will never be seen again.  I can’t get enough of vintage Kennedy shots.  My favorites are the “candid” ones of he and his family near and on the Cape.

• Close Up and Private In Motion

Style | Culture  

Architect and artist Sergei Sviatchenko continues to push into new realms of media with his “Close Up and Private” art project. He most recently collaborated with media artist Noriko Okaku to create “Close Up and Private In Motion”. The two met in Denmark at a workshop last summer and discovered a mutual fascination for the magic of collage art. Aside from relishing in Okaku’s unique intuition of wielding the moving image, pay attention to style cues throughout Sviatchenko’s work, specifically the cuff and break of the trousers.

Oct 27, 2010 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Samuel left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 1:15 PM:

These guys have some of the most creative takes on prep styling that I have seen.  I love the Thom Browne pieces they are rocking.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

bunny left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 11:52 AM:

collage art and prep are two of my favorite things, so i really enjoyed this.

A.Lopez left a comment on 10/27/2010 at 12:36 PM:

Amazing! I love when art and fashion co-exist like this.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 10/27/2010 at 10:37 AM:

Bravo! That was excellent!

• Strapped For Time

Style | Prep Essentials  

The black watch face is having a moment this fall. It's as if you should have dusted it off as you were packing away your white bucks. The men's fashion industry would have you believe pairing your black watch face with a nylon strap in a military colorway is on trend—but it's not preppy. You know what's preppy? Color.

Though burgundy was lauded autumn's official color palette months ago by fashion insiders, I have a disposition to orange. It is vibrant, sociable and demands attention in its go-to-hell hue without screaming. But keep it below the waist and to small accessories, like your watch strap.

Burberry chronograph ($595) on 22mm orange nato strap from RLT Watches ($14)

I have been hard-pressed landing a nylon strap wide enough for my military inspired Burberry chronograph. Anything 20mm or narrower can be easily had from Smart Turnout. But for 22mm or wider, head to RLT Watches. Established in 1987, the UK watch company stocks military nylon straps up to 24mm wide. Anything wider than that has no business on your wrist, much less a nylon strap. With shipping only $3, it’s tempting to grab one for each day of the week. When someone asks for the time, why not tell them to go-to-hell while giving it to them?

Oct 26, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Ralph Hanan left a comment on 5/7/2012 at 2:29 PM:

check out these Prep watches! http://bit.ly/KqhTgh

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 10/31/2010 at 11:45 AM:

Preps wear American watches, Japanese watches (such as seiko) and of course Swiss watches as long as they are simple, discreet, elegant, thin, round or rectangled and they must look classic. I belive these must have a ribbon or leather strap and they must never be too big.

Andy M. left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 7:50 PM:

Love the watch strap…  It would look great with either a black or a white face.  And the watch was an awfully nice gift!

David left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 5:44 PM:

Is your watch an automatic or quartz? If it’s an automatic you paid an excellent price for it.

I enjoy the nato straps as well, I currently have a navy one on my vintage seiko and a bunch of striped ones for my old timex.

Bill Smith left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 10:59 AM:

I’m a big fan of the G/10 Nato strap, now the secret is out.

Christy Huxley left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 11:18 PM:

That’s a fine watch band and watch face to boot! Now let’s see it on you, yes?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 3:35 PM:

For enquiring minds, Fossil manufactures Burberry’s watches (since 2003). The Swiss movements are actually assembled in a Fossil owned factory in Antima, Switzerland.  This watch is simply an example of a black face military inspired watch that is having a moment this season. Fixate on the ideas (go-to-hell nylon bands with black face watches for fall) and be inspired by that.

why left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 3:05 PM:

@AEV—Burberry watches are made by Fossil’s Swiss watch division. So while they are not the best quality, they are perfectly fine choices…esp. when free.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 2:01 PM:

@AEV—All good points. I don’t look a gift horse in the mouth though. And this piece is about where to grab up nylon watch straps, not watches.

AEV left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 1:54 PM:

Love the strap - but, when it comes to watches (and shoes and suits, for example) it’s best to buy from a company that specializes in the item. I had no idea Burberry “made” watches - but, like numerous other fashion clothing brands that round out there portfolio with such items, these private labeled timepieces come off as tacky. You want a swiss chrono? There are countless brands who’ve been making watches - and only watches - for years that sell them….and actually make them themselves…probably, in some cases, for cheaper.

Shoshana @ Adventures of a Future Housewife left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 11:42 AM:

So perfect. I love the bigger take on the classic Timex watch over at J. Crew.

Samuel left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 10:33 AM:

That watch looks incredible.  This strap is almost as sweet as those orange bastian pants.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 10:17 AM:

@NWR—There are no stupid questions.  The mm sizing I am referring to is the width of the pins on the watch. The width of the watch strap needs to be the same width as the pins on which it is being paired to so that it is flush (as seen above).  Once you remove your original watch band with a tiny flathead screwdriver (it is just a matter of unloading the spring loaded pins) you simply install the pins back into place and then slide on the nylon strap. Nylon straps do not require that you remove pins whenever you want to change it out for another nylon strap. That makes it easy to change it out on a whim.

@Tyler P.—There are plenty of used black face military-esque watches that can be found on eBay for a good price.

NWR left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 8:48 AM:

Stupid question #1: Is this size from one clasp on the watch from the other?
    Stupid question #2: Are watchbands easy to switch out by oneself? I’m not exactly sure how to take my band off.

Miguel Ramalhão left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 7:44 AM:

Nice watch… I’ve been meaning to get a strap for a vintage Swiss Army watch that I have since I was 13 years old… I’m definitely gonna get one now!!...
    By the way… love the blog ... I also have one, please feel free to check it out..
    http://ramalhoni.blogspot.com

Tyler P. left a comment on 10/26/2010 at 6:45 AM:

Loving the look, but I think I might like the strap more than the face of the watch… Or I might just be cheap

• Published in Nov. GQ

Miscellany  

Image via GQ (enlarge)

Oct 25, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Anna left a comment on 10/29/2010 at 12:03 AM:

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment to have your photos in GQ.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 10/27/2010 at 11:15 PM:

Some of my most favorite shots of yours. Congratulations, it’s well deserved!

Andrea left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 10:34 PM:

How fabulous - congrats!

Lee Anne left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 5:09 PM:

So proud of you and your work! You deserve all the good things coming your way, F.E. Cheers!

bunny left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 5:05 PM:

congrats on being in gq :) nice work as always. love the hunting-suiting-navy luggage visual.

Dutch Uncle left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 11:19 AM:

Sid Who?

Alton McDowell left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 9:54 AM:

Best men’s store in America. I was there last week and purchased a couple of ties and a pair of pants. Actually, since i was only going to be in Atlanta for the day, Sid and his team were able to alter the pants in a couple of hours before my dinner and flight back to NYC. The staff is friendly and second to none. This store is a must stop for me when i’m in Atlanta. I wish Sid would open a location in NYC.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 9:39 AM:

@Ryan—Your experience is foreign to me as I am always offered something to drink immediately after I have been greeted (even by new staff who aren’t familiar with me). The service has to be there, like you said, along with the great curation of menswear.  If I could apologize on behalf of Sid Mashburn, I would do that. Seeing as how I cannot, I only want to encourage you to give them a second chance.  I am wholeheartedly convinced the poor customer experience was an anomaly.

Ryan left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 9:00 AM:

You know, I LOVE Sid’s but haven’t had a great experience there.  I even referred two friends and they went last week.  The store was not busy, no one welcomed them, they even carried around shirts but no one “got a room started.”  This was my experience last visit too.  Unfortunately, in both instances we were willing to spend some bucks, but the service has to go with it.  After all the online hype, it was a let down.  But, the store is visually one of the most amazing stores out there.

Kris Bunch left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 8:55 AM:

Please tell me this was ranked as the number 1 Best Men’s Store. It truly deserves the title.

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 6:59 AM:

Indeed, Sid’s is one of the coolest shops in the world.

• Older Posts