• Blue Suede Shoes

Style | Dress Code  

Wrapping up our week with Dan Trepanier of The Style Blogger is a more casual look. Though khakis are standard issue prep fare, everyone from Brooks Brothers to J.Crew are partnering up with Levi’s lately—and for good reason. Jeans are a time-tested way to introduce casual versatility into your wardrobe, especially on weekends. Just remember to keep your legs straight and your break short. What you do with the rest of your weekend is your business.

“Dan’s style is instantly recognizable as American while avoiding the more predictable preppy combinations.” —Nick Sullivan, Esquire fashion director

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Noteworthy (Trepanier): This vintage leather piece is inspired by a traditional trench coat, a prep staple, which works great with a plaid shirt, wool tie, and collar pin.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): A shorter trench coat rendered in leather in lieu of traditional wool gabardine or cotton (a cue from Jackie O.), navy suede desert boot.

Oct 22, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 6:52 PM:

Hey TO, send Ochocinco my regards…

Samuel left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 11:24 AM:

I like the combo of the washed out denim with the suede db’s.  Not a look most people would think of, but totally works.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

TO left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 11:14 AM:

Thanks for this week FEC- great idea!

tammy left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 9:54 AM:

This is my favorite look.  He looks very clean, comfortable, elegant, and masculine.

john lexington left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 9:51 AM:

not a big fan of the jacket, looks good on him though , i have enjoyed mr. trepaniers looks this week, good job mr. castleberry. keep up the good work

JMH left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 8:44 AM:

I really enjoyed this weeks posts.  Dab shows a lot of versatility with his wardrobe, which I respect even if I don’t agree with all of his sartorial choices.  This combination is one of the highlights for me.  I don’t know what it is, but it just seems to work together.  Great job!

cws left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 7:00 AM:

Appreciated the posts this week…look forward to more possible collaborations.

• An Education

Style | Dress Code  

Whether he’s making his way through a mob of East Village grade schoolers or making the grade in class, Dan Trepanier is right at home in his bespoke blue blazer. A week of sharing The Style Blogger’s prep-based personal style continues as Trepanier shares his motivation for dressing well and passing on the gold buttons.

“I think subconsciously I dress well as a way of showing my mom, and everybody else, how far my family has come.” —Dan Trepanier

Noteworthy (Trepanier): It doesn’t get much more prep than a blue blazer and cordovan tassel loafers. I designed this one in midnight navy with black horn buttons to make it slightly more gotham-city worthy. Rather than pairing it with predictable khakis, try a trouser with some pattern and anchor it down with a white button down shirt.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): No break in the trousers, straight fold pocket square, Filson briefcase, side-part hairstyle.

Oct 21, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Tripp left a comment on 1/25/2012 at 12:55 PM:

Fred,
    I know this photo is an old one but I had to comment - GREAT look on this guy.

TO left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 11:06 PM:

Oh, ok thanks FEC

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 10:25 AM:

@T.O.—The term “engine turned” refers to the fine etching on the metal.

Vern Trotter left a comment on 10/25/2010 at 8:18 AM:

Everything in dress is personal taste. That is also why we had The Emperor Has No Clothes!

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 10:16 PM:

I actually like the no-break look on men, but I wonder: do the bottoms of one’s trouser legs ride up too much when one sits down? In my own experience with pants of a similar length, it’s not as much of an issue if I’m bare-legged or wearing stockings, but I don’t like having my bare leg exposed above my socks. I think it looks sloppy. I suppose a person of either sex could wear tall socks to avoid a “flood’s a-comin’” look while seated, though.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 12:02 PM:

@John Lexington & Kenneth—The jacket is double vented and by Michael Andrews Bespoke.

TO left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 11:05 AM:

Question- why is it called an engine-turned belt buckle? I do have one like that but never knew that’s what it’s called

john lexington left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 9:25 AM:

i want to know more about this blazer. is it a double vent? who made it? its a strong look, help a brother out. thanks.

Peter left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 8:28 AM:

Love the pants
    http://thisisthecool.tumblr.com/

A.G. left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 7:21 PM:

Damn you.  Now, I want to change the buttons on my blazer to black horn.

windsorsite left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 4:49 PM:

love that ticket pocket !

S.K. left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 4:38 PM:

Really nice pants!

Emmy left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 4:30 PM:

I like it. Feels right.

john lexington left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 3:28 PM:

like this look, pants are the best! nice change up from khakis. the bag is very nice, i own the same one, never wears out, gets better with age! maybe a aquasctum blazer?  looks good. double vents???

Carl left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 2:03 PM:

I love the coat, the tailoring is quite nice.  I wish we could see the back.  I like the lack of gold buttons but I wish he had chosen sterling silver buttons (my own personal choice).  I am not in love with the trousers but I like the belt buckle again I wish we could see more detail like if it is engine turned.

Genevieve left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 1:36 PM:

LOVE the hair. If all men did their hair this way the world would be a better place.

• Playing Fair

Style | Dress Code  

The creeping up of fall is a curious thing. Cool weather allows you to really play with layers, textures, and patterns before the winter demands you cover it all up in your Gloverall. For Dan Trepanier, editor of The Style Blogger, it is the ideal time to do just that—play.

Noteworthy (Trepanier): Gingham shirts and silk knit ties are not strictly summer fare. Try them in fall tones while pairing them with colder weather fabrics like Fair Isle and tweed to create a texture-rich, autumn-appropriate look.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): Tasseled loafer, engine turn buckle, alligator belt, no-break cuffed trouser. What allows the various textures, patterns, and weaves to work is the monochromatic color palette.

Oct 20, 2010 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

BunnyB left a comment on 10/22/2010 at 7:41 AM:

Everything about this look is killer.

Hoot left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 12:29 PM:

I like the short length of the pants. Usually it was on schoolboys who outgrew their pants.  Now, I guess it’s for showing off those expensive cashmere socks?  It’s growing on me.

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 8:43 AM:

For me the “no-break trousers” only work without socks. what you gyus think?

Richard Ross left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 9:36 PM:

Is gingham a fabric or a pattern? I have had conflicting answers to this question.

The Boss left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 7:10 PM:

John H.—Unfortunately, they do not have an e-commerce site. Here in Canada, we are inundated with them, the same way Americans are with J. Crew. If you don’t live near any of the stores they have listed online, you can always try eBay to find what you want in the coming months.

Hope that helps!

John H. left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 4:18 PM:

The Boss - Do you know where I can get one from Club Monoco online?  I don’t think they have a website where you can buy things.  I did a quick google search, and didn’t really find anything. Thanks a lot!

TO left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 2:10 PM:

For all we know, maybe it was a bit chillier in the morning and then warmed up- great look Dan!

CAS left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 12:06 PM:

FEC - great job collaborating with style blog pioneers Dan T. and also the amazing project with the fellas at Street Etiquette (I know I’m a bit late on that but just got around to seriously checking out your site). I love the incensed discourse of your readers in some of your posts - very refreshing from a style blog.

As for Dan’s fit - I agree with some of the comments that the look seems a bit affected with the heavy woolen scarf and rolled up sleeves. But that is the nature of Mr. Trepanier ala the fatigue jacket with preppy undertones.

The Boss left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 11:55 AM:

John H.—Look into Club Monaco. They currently have two fair isle sweaters that are made from wool, and look pretty damn smashing if I say so myself. They look pretty similar to what Brunello Cucinelli is offering but at a third of the cost.

John H. left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 11:44 AM:

Nice!  I’ve been trying to find a fair isle for so long, but cant seem to find the right one.  There is one at J Crew, but no other full sleeve sweaters, mostly vests out there.  Think you could help out FEC?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 10:10 AM:

What a great look. I specially like the tassel loafers, the trousers the belt and the watch. Again I got to say, this guy got style! Great picture F.E.C!

Ryan left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 10:05 AM:

Like the look, but the scarf seems to wintery/thick with the short-sleeved shirt. I love the tie—I have a similar skinny tie with the collegiate stripe.

Joey Dee left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 10:03 AM:

Thanks for providing a link to Trepanier’s Style Blogger. I look forward to reading yours and his posts on a daily basis.

The Boss left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 9:54 AM:

I don’t think his pants are hemmed as short as some of you may think. Remember, he is in motion, not standing still—which may give the illusion of them being shorter than they actually are.

cws left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 9:11 AM:

Unfortunately in the conservatively boring corporate world the length of his trousers wouldn’t cut it…doesn’t mean it’s right, it is what it is…overall a great look.

robdarko left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 8:36 AM:

F.E.C., please find Trep’s friend Ryan Oozeer and snap a shot of what he might be wearing today.

P.S.  Regarding this collaboration:  Your work has a clear voice and your effort is appreciated.  See?  Nice.

D.E.S. left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 7:49 AM:

Amazing tailoring on the pants! Glad to see so much sock deep into fall!

• Belt Check

Style | Dress Code  

A week with The Style Blogger, Dan Trepanier (an introduction for those unfamiliar), continues today in his East Village neighborhood of New York. It is a brilliant time of year in the city. Temperatures are waning, leaves turning, and your shawl collar cardigans and heavy knits should be keeping you warm. Trepanier’s cardigan is half smoking jacket, half country jacket in a Glen plaid (short for Glen Urquhart plaid) weave. The shawl collar lends itself to a relaxed elegance, as if you should embrace the cool of autumn any other way.

"I don't really consider myself a 'prep', and I certainly haven't lived a lifestyle that can be considered 'WASPy,' but my style is without a doubt influenced by the prep aesthetic." —Dan Trepanier

Noteworthy (Trepanier): Chunky knits are my favorite transitional weather outerwear, especially when layered with finer-gauge knits. This particular woolly belted cardigan feels part young playboy, part old college professor.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): Persol sunglasses, navy cord cuffed trousers, desert boot, bellows pockets, keeps it simple under cardigan.

Oct 19, 2010 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

Vincent left a comment on 1/7/2011 at 11:37 PM:

I’ve always wanted a jacket like this… and I thought they just didn’t really make belted sweaters for men… and with a shawl collar!!!—- it is a tour de force look in my opinion—and the textile, pattern, and cut are so terribly masculine, I appreciate the juxtaposition. I really like it.

Can anyone direct me to the specific collection so I can track it down or search for it to buy it—it’s polo, but from what season/collection/name :) love it!

Riindxai left a comment on 11/15/2010 at 7:17 AM:

They had their hearts in the quarrel, and had not as yet learned by the severe lesson of Edgehill that raw armies cannot bring wars to a speedy issue. , www.enchanted-ilse.com, www.enchanted-ilse.com, http://ylamchj.quvowew.co.cc/www.enchanted-ilse.com.html www.enchanted-ilse.com,  :[[,

gene kangley left a comment on 10/21/2010 at 6:02 AM:

Good luck on your site and thanks for the work that it takes..

Best regards, GK

Jack Sitt left a comment on 10/20/2010 at 1:37 AM:

Any1 know where to pick one of these up?
    or something similar

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 11:46 PM:

@Tim—The cardigan is from a previous season…like most good pieces in one’s wardrobe, it has some age on it.

Tim left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 10:41 PM:

Question about the cardigan.  I haven’t found it on Ralph Lauren’s website.  Is it from a previous season?

Frais left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 8:38 PM:

This is such a nice fit…. it looks comfortable, warm and most importantly great !! love the colors used

Victoria left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 7:27 PM:

This is an amazingly dressed man.

Emily left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 6:03 PM:

Perfect, all around.

anthony left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 4:54 PM:

that sweater was a favorite of mine from bedford estate last year. i’m always happy to see longer belted sweaters for men.

What Should Men Wear left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 3:20 PM:

Besides that awesome jacket, I also noticed an excellent choice of footwear!

David left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 3:09 PM:

that cardi-jac is the bomb.

M.Ridley left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 1:47 PM:

This looks like a shawl-collar version of the windowpane tweed Norfolk jacket Engineered Garments put out last year. Very cool.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 1:28 PM:

@H.E.M.—The cardigan is from Polo Ralph Lauren.

H.E.M. left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 1:24 PM:

That’s a great looking cardigan, where’s it from?

Stunned left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 1:24 PM:

I have the biggest crush on this guy. I bet he gets alot of female “readers” just bc he is so sexy :)

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 12:03 PM:

Very interesting look. That smoking/country jacket looks great on him. The guy got style!

john lexington left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 9:56 AM:

love this, sweater is it! very complete look got to get this sweater. nice job!

The Boss left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 9:51 AM:

This look is much better than the last. Very debonair.

I don’t think I wear any of my sunglasses as much as my Persols. They are so choice.

• M.A.S.H It Up

Style | Dress Code  

His mom calls him Daniel. Clothes horses know him as The Style Blogger. And last year, many Americans came to know him as Esquire’s Best Dressed Real Man. Esquire crowned Trepanier with the sartorial honor in 2009 while he was still attending Columbia University. Though he didn’t prep at Andover, his personal style is rooted in it. “When I first arrived in New York to play basketball for Columbia University, I didn’t even know what it meant to be ‘preppy’. After spending four years on an Ivy League campus, classic trad style gradually influenced my own—tweed jackets, corduroys, boat shoes, bow ties.” I recently spent a week catching up with Trepanier in his East Village neighborhood. Everyday this week he will share how he folds classic prep pieces into his own distinctive style. Give a welcome as warm as any guest into your own house.

“My style is a collection of my personal experiences, ‘prep’ or ‘Ivy’ being one of them.” —Dan Trepanier

Noteworthy (Trepanier): I contrasted a traditionally prep uniform (tweed vest, bengal stripe shirt, rep stripe bow tie, Bass loafers) with a camouflage jacket.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): In light of the fashion industry plastering every menswear piece and accessory in camouflage this fall, I appreciate the authenticity of the fatigues.

Oct 18, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Angel left a comment on 5/9/2012 at 8:53 PM:

I must have missed this one. Good look, though technically the miltiary calls it a blouse not a jacket.

Angel’s Point of View

R.C. left a comment on 10/27/2010 at 2:55 PM:

This look is very inspiring.  The camo jacket gives it a nice touch.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 11:40 AM:

@Anthony—Trepanier picked up his jacket at an army surplus shop.  It’s authentic, not designer.

Tony left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 11:33 AM:

As someone who owns and appreciates a Camo sport coat from Rugby, I love this look! Great way to bring it all together for fall. Its youthful and well presented.

NWR left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 9:29 AM:

Maybe I’m nuts, but I’m diggin’ it. Keep up the good work, F.E.C.

anthony left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 9:03 AM:

this is what i look forward to on this blog. awesome rigging.

@Fred—do you know where he picked up this jacket? it looks like RRL but i can’t tell.

Joey Dee left a comment on 10/18/2010 at 10:52 PM:

On second the thought the more I look at the picture, the more the concept grows on me

Joey Dee left a comment on 10/18/2010 at 10:49 PM:

My sartorial mind and coffee table is littered with GQ issues old and new. Planning on having them bound. As for this jacket, it’s a neat idea, but is disproportionate to the rest of his tailored look.

K left a comment on 10/18/2010 at 9:01 PM:

The whole look would work well- minus the camo, but he did say he adds his own personal touch to things.

TO left a comment on 10/18/2010 at 6:31 PM:

The idea is that the jacket isn’t preppy-it’s showing something different combined with the prep aesthetic
    Great collabo Fred! Can’t wait..

samuel left a comment on 10/18/2010 at 4:38 PM:

Brilliant idea pairing up with this dude.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

• Newer Posts Older Posts