Nov 8, 2010 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

khordkutta left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 5:16 PM:

Ahhhhh, nicely said!!!

OTC left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 3:58 PM:

So true.

TopSider left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 3:51 PM:

Agnelli*

TopSider left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 3:50 PM:

Gianelli. Did it amazingly, in fact I think I’ve commented before on one of your posts mentioning him. I really wish I commented more often but sometimes I feel as if they would be lost among all the others. YOu have quite the site.

Nick left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 12:40 PM:

Someone recently commented openly about my wearing bow ties to campus. So this entire week, I will wear a bow tie with a smile on my face.

“But perhaps most of all, wearing a bow tie is a way of broadcasting an aggressive lack of concern for what other people think.” - Warren St. John

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 12:04 PM:

I missed the past two weeks and need my unabashedly prep tv!

CLG23 left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 11:14 AM:

Agreed, can’t be afraid to try something new, from pant length to cuff size to pattern combos….experiment.

Nat left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 6:39 AM:

What font do you use here? It’s pretty! :)

• The Night of the Navy Blue Blazer

Miscellany  

Proof the navy blue blazer looks good on just about anyone...anywhere...doing anything...

The Night of the Navy Blue Blazer is a Tommy Hilfiger commissioned short film directed by the McCoubrey brothers, Pete and Luke. The film features a performance and song "The Whip" by the band Locksley.

Nov 6, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Sarah left a comment on 4/27/2012 at 4:06 PM:

It’s funny how you can have three of pretty much the same thing but they will each have diffnreet roles. I have probably more blue blazers than I need, but I definitely only wear them for certain situations. Some are thicker wool and some are thin cotton or linen. I also have diffnreet types of khakis of diffnreet materials for diffnreet situations. I think a blue blazer plain or minimal patterning, a button up and khakis is one of the best and most versatile outfits there is!

Tariro left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 3:51 PM:

What a great video! I love how they incorporated all different kinds of styles, & different kids of people in the video.
    I loved the outfits the girls wore! Gave me lots of good ideas for how to wear a blazer. Awesome post!

- Tariro at mysavile.blogspot.com

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 1:42 PM:

This is a great short film. Love how the jacket transcends individual groups. Looking on youtube so it can be viewed in hd!

john lexington left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 8:05 AM:

very nice! this campaign reminds me of the bmw short films circa 2002. also reminds me of my old blue blazer!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/7/2010 at 11:03 PM:

I liked it. I think it was really fun. The Navy Blue Blazer certaintly goes with everything. Nice vid.

MPM left a comment on 11/7/2010 at 9:59 PM:

I had fun.

Dan S left a comment on 11/7/2010 at 3:51 PM:

I personally think that the most important thing to be taken from this, is the fit and cut of the blazer, gone is the day of the boxy to big blazer, a nice fitting jacket will always look great, and here on the east coast a Navy blazer is always a great first jacket to have, totally diverse.

Christopher Tawney left a comment on 11/7/2010 at 3:26 PM:

Navy blazers are not overrated or underrated; they just are. They are a categorical imperative, so forget Bacon Lettuce and Tomato’s blue collar aftershave erotica and think appallingly boring novel perpetrator J-P Sartre in his double breasted number shuffling into the ‘Deux Magots’....

Fatfriend.

Kionon left a comment on 11/7/2010 at 6:13 AM:

BLAZER ABUSE

Given how much a good Navy Blue Blazer can cost (Brooks, J. PRESS, Ralph, or even Tommy), I was pretty much cringing throughout the entire video.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 11/6/2010 at 2:34 PM:

Really cool!!!

Arthur left a comment on 11/6/2010 at 1:31 PM:

I think the video is pretty cool, just showing that the blue blazer is indeed smthg you can pretty much wear with everything. but it did ripped pretty quickly on the video.

• The Windmill Club

Style  

Harvard students believe you don’t look for a job, you create one. Armed with an Ivy League liberal arts degree in folklore mythology, Kevin Burrows did just that. He started selling ties. After spending a summer interning with Apolis in 2009, Burrows, influenced by his Ivy League environs and grandfather’s impeccable style, introduced The Windmill Club.

And that liberal arts degree in folklore mythology? It’s not a complete wash. Burrows spends his postgraduate days at DreamWorks in Los Angeles. He loves story. So it’s no surprise he identifies with story lines of function and form within menswear.

Crown Club tie, $88

The ties and bows are handcrafted in New York from English spun dead-stock silk. The runs are limited, typically 20 or fewer ties in a particular style. I picked up one of fourteen Crown Clubs* before they sold out. There is a quality to the construction while the silk feels good running in between your fingers. Though the Crown Club is no longer available, The Windmill Club still has repp stripes and club patterns that will make you feel right at home on, well, even Harvard’s campus.

*courtesy of The Windmill Club

Nov 5, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

CoolHand Luke left a comment on 11/30/2010 at 2:32 AM:

I am very impressed with the entire Windmill Club collection. The ties appear to be of very high quality and are not terribly expensive. I posted the Windmill Club ad video on my blog absolut-ism.com. Keep up the great work.

Vern Trotter left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 1:18 PM:

Good luck to this group. Nothing like Ben Silver, the most overpriced outfit in business today!

Maggie left a comment on 11/6/2010 at 10:51 PM:

@Laguna Beach Fogey, You might be right about most Harvard entreprenuers, but I’m pretty sure the Windmill Club started up sans family backing. Kevin got this moving by himself.

Andy left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 9:26 PM:

Samuel,

$88 is “not terribly expensive”?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 8:52 PM:

Well done. I respect entrepreneurs, even if they did waste 4 or 5 years at a liberal effete institution like Harvard and then use family money to seed-fund their business. Whatever it takes.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

bkc left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 12:42 PM:

Nice
    check the bkc
    http://thebkcircus.com/bkc/the-bkc-world-series-attitude-special-sf-release/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 11:20 AM:

@EDC & AEV—Ben Silver is definitely a classic. I am actually working on writing about them soon.

Samuel left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 10:44 AM:

I really like these ties and the fact that they aren’t terribly expensive. I’d much rather have a tie from these guys than a larger label.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 9:49 AM:

That’s one nice tie!

john lexington left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 9:20 AM:

ben silver does a great job huge selection. windmill club seems just to make small runs, no one will show up with the same tie, i like the idea of 10 tie run.

AEV left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 9:04 AM:

These appear nice - are there really only 5 or 6 styles? - though I agree with edc that Ben Silver runs this segment of the tie market….with numerous other brands copying them with un-authentic copies of actual school and regimental crests.

edc left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 8:41 AM:

Check out “Ben Silver” in Charleston, SC for other great club and rep ties.

john lexington left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 6:59 AM:

very nice! ill have to look into the windmill club. thanks!

• Pea Skirt

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: pea-coat inspired wool skirt, suede elbow patches, knee high socks, the underrated yellow oxford cloth button down.

Nov 4, 2010 | Permalink (21) View/Leave Comments

echapman left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 11:20 PM:

I think this outfit is so adorable but it is over accessorizing a little bit I would take off the hat and the socks, but other than that I am in love!

LindseyP left a comment on 11/13/2010 at 6:51 PM:

Goodness! She is adorable! Love everything about it.

Stanford97 left a comment on 11/9/2010 at 5:45 PM:

I love the confidence of a girl wearing a mini-skirt.

charly left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 7:45 PM:

I’m in love. Why aren’t there women like this in Los Angeles. I think I need to move to the East Coast; New England to be more specific.

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/8/2010 at 1:50 PM:

FEC—would your female models be willing to get together to make a 16 month calendar with tips for the month for the rest of us?

MPerez left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 12:01 PM:

adorable. We need more of ‘you’ in Atlanta

tammy left a comment on 11/5/2010 at 8:29 AM:

I like how this look adapts classics to give them a modern and refreshing look.  She can easily wear each piece separately on a more traditional ensemble, or mix them for a fun look.  The world evolves, and fashion will inevitably change.  If we only stuck to the classics we would still be wearing corsets and long dresses.

Samuel left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 9:42 PM:

I love the elbow patches and the yellow oxford.  I am constantly trying to pick up one from Rugby, but they never have my size in stock.

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 7:42 PM:

I’d wear a (somewhat longer) plaid skirt and some tall boots instead of the knee socks and shoes, mostly because looking at this outfit just makes me imagine how cold I’d be in it at this time of year, LOL.

Emily left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 6:15 PM:

Really liking everything here. Very nice

Heather left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 3:57 PM:

Love the outfit, especially the suede elbows.

James left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 3:22 PM:

Great shot FEC.  I think the look, from the skirt up, is on point.  I’d give her a second look (for a good reason).  I applaud FEC for always causing us to think, expand our eye, and come to our own conclusions.

Andy M. left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 2:23 PM:

Impeccably classy from shoulders to toes.  I say shoulders because I just don’t particularly care for girls in hats.  That said, it fits the look and she pulls it off better than most.

jess@studio3z left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 1:22 PM:

Although I don’t think I could ever pull it off, I love her outfit-from the hat down to her shoes!

question left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 12:45 PM:

Does anyone know what type of shoes those are?  I saw a guy wearing a pair of loafers with that woven look above the toe.  I looked around all summer and found nothing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 12:24 PM:

I have a skirt and sweater just like that, but never thought to pair them together! Definitely going to try it (though it is a bit chilly here in Upstate NY).

Ladies, I bought my skirt (not wool, but a heavy cotton twill) from J.Crew a few seasons back.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 10:01 AM:

Yes, where can I get one of those skirts!?

john lexington left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 9:36 AM:

beautiful model, i like the look, i think a pair of penny loafers would really set it off. prep it up a bit.

pat s left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 8:54 AM:

nice shot, oddly APC (not quite prep) offered a great skirt last spring like that.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 7:20 AM:

Loving the wool skirt, who’s it by? The whole ensemble makes me happy for Autumn all over again. The tie in with the city flap cap is brilliant.

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 6:53 AM:

Absolutely lovely.

• JvdF F/W Bracelets

Style  

Last February, Justin von der Fehr ushered in spring with his original tie wrap bracelets in bright color combinations. Though his fall/winter offerings now include collaborations with other brands, it’s his tie bracelets that are still garnering attention from the likes of artist Sergie Sviatchenko. In addition to new silk repp stripe patterns, von der Fehr designed bracelets in vintage cashmere/wool pinstripe suiting and tartan silk. Each piece is made by hand using lizard or crocodile (by special request) and finished with a contrast stitch.

Tartan in hunter green, the trademark in goldenrod/hunter, the suit in navy pinstripe, $175 each

JvdF tie bracelets can be purchased at Paul Smith boutiques in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. For those who prefer to shop online, simply place your order on JvdF.net. Unabashedly Prep readers will receive 25% off until November 20th by entering “HOLIDAY2010” in the subject line on the contact/order page. Now you don’t have an excuse for being short on cash.

Nov 3, 2010 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

benepenny left a comment on 10/25/2011 at 2:57 PM:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh now, I see ... I stand corrected and now I like them even more… **sigh**

benepenny left a comment on 10/25/2011 at 2:09 PM:

Agreed! I, too, co-sign w/ Andy, Max & Khordkutta ... Very cool belts but price doesn’t justify fabric belts w/ embossed leather detailing ...

tito left a comment on 11/4/2010 at 4:30 PM:

Very nice bracelets, bless FEC.

j bollier left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 8:41 PM:

I love these and now own one. they are totally unique and the details are near perfection on mine. i’ve also never had so many compliments on anything i’ve ever worn

khordkutta left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 2:23 PM:

Yup I dig these, but I gotta co-sign with Andy M.

Samuel left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 11:23 AM:

I definitely like these, but I like sticking with a NATO strap on watch.  Keep it simple.

Max left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 10:45 AM:

Cool, but expensive.

Andy M. left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 9:47 AM:

I really like these, but $175 is insanely steep when KJP’s versions are $35 and they’re offering a thinner version now.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/3/2010 at 7:00 AM:

I rather like these, especially the suit models. Do they make a bracelet for ,ankle?

• Newer Posts Older Posts