• Morning Coffee

Dress Code  

Photographed in Washington, D.C.

Noteworthy: kilted Mary Jane heel, brightly colored toggle coat.

Nov 22, 2010 | Permalink (23) View/Leave Comments

Robin left a comment on 10/31/2013 at 1:43 PM:

I’ve been reading your blog since the beginning, and I can honestly say this is my favorite post. My life goal is to find a yellow toggle coat comparable to this. J Crew has them this year but not in a color I like.

Thanks for always doing great work F.E.C.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/25/2012 at 1:23 AM:

@Caitlin—The coat is from J.Crew.

Caitlin left a comment on 11/29/2010 at 4:15 PM:

Did we decide where this coat is from? I love it!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 3:49 PM:

Ah, would have seen that if I wasn’t looking at the photo on my phone. Never again! Since navy is my favorite color, I only just love this outfit more now.

melissa davis left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 2:55 AM:

LOVE a toggle coat… and great in lemon yellow!

Tonia left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 12:54 AM:

I love the color, yellow is such a happy color. It would brighten any winter day

K left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 3:30 PM:

That coat is a great contrast to the darker fall colors!

Richard Ross left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 2:44 PM:

This is so wonderful. I’m a sucker for popped lapels.

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 2:07 PM:

DC Boston Hamptons New York Dallas Atlanta, east coast. Any plans to see whats up on the west coast, LA San Francisco Seattle San Diego Lake Tahoe? This woman is lovely by the way.

tammy left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 1:30 PM:

I was in the DC area this weekend and the yellow coat is definitely a welcome sight among all the dark colors that people wear in the area.

Meli left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 12:24 PM:

Love the toggle coat, great color too. The shoes spot on!

Angel left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 12:15 PM:

Very Nice, very clean and chic.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Blog

SydneyIsAGirlsName left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 11:19 AM:

If she’d worn black shoes with the navy stockings, I could sign off.

Amy left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 11:14 AM:

love this… do you know where her coat is from?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 11:10 AM:

@Caroline Fontenot—Do not let your confusion of black and brown start now. Her tights are actually NAVY.

Andy M. left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 11:00 AM:

Awesome coat!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 10:53 AM:

The black and brown rules have always confused me as I think they look great here! That coat WORKS! I love bright colors in cold weather. Its just good.

Katherine left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:59 AM:

I love it! It’s absolutely beautiful. The shoes are great and the coat is just wow!

AWKeller left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:57 AM:

I sort of love this.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:56 AM:

Beautiful! That coat looks amazing!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:44 AM:

Beautiful! Love the coat and shoes.

Kevin JP left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:27 AM:

Wow amazing, This woman is simply beautiful

john lexington left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 8:23 AM:

WOW! perfection once again!

• Feast Interruptus

Miscellany  

"To me Feast Interruptus captures the fun and loving chaos of the holidays." —Tommy Hilfiger

Tommy Hilfiger's global advertising campaign continues with the eclectic American family theme seen in the Fall 2010 print campaign. The tongue-in-cheek "Hilfigers" imaginatively exemplify twisted American preppy sportswear. Hilfiger has always had a quirky bone. It is charming, really. A picnic dinner party, rebellious children, and fine china set the perfect tone for the upcoming holiday.

Nov 19, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

MMG left a comment on 11/22/2010 at 3:08 PM:

@Stanfford99, I agree!!

M left a comment on 11/20/2010 at 9:48 PM:

Actually that’s pretty damn clever. Good show.

Stanfford99 left a comment on 11/20/2010 at 5:59 PM:

I like this movie better when it was called “The Royal Tennebaums.”

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 10:13 PM:

excellent commercial!

Emily left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 6:09 PM:

I’d expect nothing less than a Vampire Weekend soundtrack. It’s on point.

ron thompson left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 4:56 PM:

too bad they don’t sell any of those styles/clothes on their website.

Chris W. left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 4:36 PM:

There’s also a version that has the dog driving away instead! I’m not sure which ending I like better, but this advertisement as a whole is quite fun!

• The Gift

Miscellany  

Nov 18, 2010 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Kimberly Richardson left a comment on 11/21/2010 at 7:47 PM:

This is my first time viewing this site and I love it as well as the quote. Cheers!

Katherine left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 4:49 AM:

It really is on point. I agree with it.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 12:44 AM:

Splendid quote.

Glenn left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:56 PM:

Great quote FEC.  BTW, WTH did you do to CWS????

john lexington left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:55 PM:

keep up the good work!

Z left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:15 PM:

F.E Castleberry, big love from England.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 1:39 PM:

@CWS—Though not for you, I’m glad you still visit and read Unabashedly Prep.

cws left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 1:09 PM:

Perfect quote in more ways than one…UP is not for everyone as well…especially me…

• Redcoat

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Bean Boots, Gloverall duffle coat, The Windmill Club crown club tie, Lotuff & Clegg leather duffle.

Nov 17, 2010 | Permalink (45) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/24/2010 at 2:03 PM:

@Brandon—Yes, those are the exact pair.  Be sure to order a whole size down.

Brandon left a comment on 11/24/2010 at 1:59 PM:

@Fred,

I’m back to the beans.  Ha!  Are these the ones you are wearing?

8” Bean Boot

Regards

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 2:21 PM:

@Brandon—For rainy/wet weather, consider Hunter’s Original Lace Short.  If you are trekking around in the dead of winter then Sorel’s 1964 boot might be suitable.

Brandon left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 1:53 PM:

Fred,

What other types of boots would you recommend for the winter and rainy weather?  Looking for some this season; not sure if the Beans are quite what I’m looking for. Thanks and kudos!

Arthur left a comment on 11/23/2010 at 12:26 PM:

Fred, you’re my favorite style blogger because you just don’t give a shit about what people say and you dress the way you like. I would have never thought a red coat would look good on a man but this fit makes me think otherwise.

AggieK left a comment on 11/21/2010 at 6:19 PM:

I LOVE the red duffle.  I would have bought red if they had had it when I bought mine in navy.

Ted Roosevelt left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 5:34 PM:

I feel compelled to emphasize how brilliant this look is. Thank you for sharing F.E.

Ted Roosevelt left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 3:55 PM:

Again, amazing look.

Ted Roosevelt left a comment on 11/19/2010 at 2:35 PM:

Gloverall is the one and only original duffle coat.

David left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 9:46 PM:

To the obviously non-prep commenters, I wear ten eyelet bean boots almost year round, with lime green cashmere sweaters or nantucket red shorts or whatever I want, you can stick to your overly strict dress code and look like everyone else. Considering the amount of sticklers around here, most of our wardrobe could be considered GTH.

Also, FEC, just wait till that duffle coat ages a couple of decades, it’s gonna look amazing.

JB left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 6:46 PM:

where did those pants come from?

Richard Ross left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 5:42 PM:

This coat is breathtaking. For some reason I didn’t check Unabashedly Prep yesterday and this popped up on Tumblr. The photograph as a whole is so great. This may be my favorite post.

That coat, man! Thank you for this.

amw left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 4:55 PM:

A warm applause from a grad student from good ol’ europe. nice duffle—no guts, no glory! Your blog is always a nice place for inspiration.

I was sporting a less flamboyant combination today:
    red got to hell corduroy pants from cordings, a charcoal duffle from barbour and a tan filson briefcase.

Vern Trotter left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 3:39 PM:

The duffel coat looks great. Paul Stuart was selling a great window pane duffel a few years ago that I bought after seeing the ad in Town & Country.
    The Eye Bobs, I believe, are now the ones in the Orvis catalogue.

trip left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 2:52 PM:

Looks great.

dan left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 10:44 AM:

The essence of preppy is wearing what you want, where you want, and just not really caring what others think.  This is a fashion blog, isn’t it?  No bean boots when it’s not raining?  Get real.  I would wear those shoes to work if I could.  Rock on, FEC!  Keep up the good work!

ERIII left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 9:35 AM:

LOL! I love the duffle and the color!!! “Go-to-hell red”.  Superior job FEC, you look great!! For those of you who are bothered by the duffle, the color says it all… breath and smile.

Glenn left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 9:23 AM:

Mr Franklin,
    Johnson Wollen Mills indeed!  Although Woolrich and Filson get all the “street cred”  Johnson is the real deal.  I’ve been wearing mine every fall for the past 25 years.  http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=JWM

B Franklin left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 8:11 AM:

Dear Mr. Castlebury,
    Your red coat reminds me of mine.  Recently introducing a buddy to upland bird hunting and being in a roadside sportsman’s shop on the Massachusetts, New Hampshire border.  I happened upon a rounder of wool coats from Johnson Woolen Mills, made in Johnson, Vermont.  Turns out Johnson Woolen makes the wool coats worn by New Hampshire Game Wardens, certainly must be warm and comfortable for a day in the truck and woods.  Then something interesting happened.  An old guy came out from the back room and from a worn cardboard box with faded green print vaguely resembling a deer, he said “look through this: that’s exactly what a deer sees”.  Being from Massachusetts and thus thinking myself slightly more sophisticated than the average New Hampshire gun store denizen I took a view through the scope and noted the red jacket, almost exactly the shade you wear, disappeared from view.  “Best deer camouflage you can get, the proprietor assured me; you will be completely invisible to deer; and you will not see another soul in the New Hampshire woods, because most Hunters will avoid a warden if possible..”  Of course I bought it.  Wear it happily, often and with khakis.
    Yours truly,
    B. Franklin

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:50 PM:

@AEV—Yes, Eye Bobs are readers. I simply had prescription lenses put into mine.

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:31 PM:

Fantastic coat, Mr. Castleberry. Truly an original. I think you look as sharp as a tack and have given me a great deal of inspiration.

JLT left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:35 PM:

The Dress Gordan-tartan scarf looks great with the duffle coat.

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 8:58 PM:

The fear of becoming a ‘has-been’ keeps some people from becoming anything. 

I think Fred pulls this combination off, terribly well. 

Where I come from Bean duck boots are an essential staple this time of year.  In New England, where it rains every other day, in even the sunniest of weather we have puddles to march through.

—Old Man

MPerez left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 8:44 PM:

FEC - looks killer. Love the coat

Unyime left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 7:05 PM:

I believe I just found my new favorite color. “Go-to-hell-red”. So thanks for that. All jokes aside I really like seeing a different color duffle. I own a camel colored one myself and would personally would love to own one a few shades darker than his, but you can’t knock the man for wearing it. It’s a personal choice and there are really so many items/colors/variations in general that can be seen as feminine if you’re really looking out for it which feels like what’s going on here.  TCR really hit the points about not being too picky and origins of clothing and i agree with him there. Anywho as a visitor, I say keep it up. Takes courage to post your style for the interwebs to sqwauk at.

mattie P left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 6:53 PM:

as a compleate outsider, and someone who lives where it never snows and hardly rains to any degree worth wearing a wet weather boot,  those bean boots look fine in dry weather.  the coats a bold move but worn with confidance I think it is pulled off.

Trent Scott Fitzgerald left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 4:44 PM:

I like bean mocs for regular wear. Nice bag.

AEV left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 4:10 PM:

aren’t EyeBobs reading glasses?

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 4:00 PM:

Thank you for the info on how to wear one. My hats off to you for being as blazingly confident in all your efforts. I may try one one day. I am confident in your display of product knowledge

Robin left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 3:48 PM:

Wonderful once again! Being preppy isn’t always about following rules, keep on keeping on.

Ignacio left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 3:47 PM:

You have convinced me to steal my dad’s duffle coat (he is living in deep south and rarely has opportunity anyways).

Matthew left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 1:55 PM:

This look is absolutely perfect.

Pansma left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 1:39 PM:

Love the red coat.

fsp left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 1:26 PM:

Classic cool!

Megan left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 12:44 PM:

Since when is red not a masculine color? Love the jacket! I’ve been looking for ideas for my traditional Christmas gift of a new winter coat from my mother and a Gloverall is now at the top of my list!

seizedcar9822 left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 12:07 PM:

I just book marked your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your commentaries.

Courtney Chenard left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:42 AM:

From the Duffle coat to the rainboot…. the outfit is simply amazing….

Men should wear whatever color they like….where that rule come from….???

Courtney Chenard
    www.classiccomplex.com

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:30 AM:

Amazing Duffle Coat. I wore one like it last week while styling a shoot. My LL Beans are in the mail. Way to usher in Winter.

Dwayne Johnson left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:10 AM:

Nice coat! You pull it off beautifully.  I would’ve preferred the 10 eye bean boot instead of the 8 to balance out the look.

AWKeller left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:56 AM:

Obsessed with those tortoise shell glasses- whose are those?

Tito left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:53 AM:

Wow that outfit is excellent! love Bean boots, I have a pair and they very nice, and for the rest of the readers: The Bean Boots are not just for rain or snow!! a mean I used to make fun of the RED WINGS and guess what? every retailer are selling them know, they are in fashion and they supposed to be working boots!!!  Bless Fred!!

Charly left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:14 AM:

I love the go to hell coat!
    The sleeves on the coat seem to be a bit too short; the length of the cuff on the shirt seems to be good.
    Love the bag. Even those glasses.
    good job!

Perhaps next time you post pictures of yourself on the site you’ll add a charming and sexy woman on your arm ( like the one in the suspenders from below).

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:09 AM:

This is a great picture. Even if I don’t think that I’ll ever pull of a red duffle coat. Everything is well coordinated.

john lexington left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 9:58 AM:

love the bag and the boots, red is not my colour, but i think mr. castleberry pulls of the look just fine. its nice to see someone mix things up a bit. keep up the good work!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 9:24 AM:

Nice leather bag from L&C.

• K. Cooper Ray

Dress Code  

Photographed in Washington, D.C. at the Brooks Brothers bow tie launch party

Noteworthy: Gucci horse bit loafers, Social Primer for Brooks Brothers crest and alternating track stripe reversible bow tie, tartan pocket square, authors etiquette blog Social Primer.

Nov 16, 2010 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:29 PM:

Oh, and one more thing. Those aren’t wrinkles. It’s the way the fabric falls. Soft, drapy corduroy. So comfortable to wear. Thank you.

K Cooper Ray left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:24 PM:

Thanks, Fred and all of you for such nice comments. And yes, I guess wrinkles are the price you pay when you live out of a suitcase. Although to tell the truth, I wasn’t very concerned about it because honestly, I’m a bit of a sloppy dandy. I’m more concerned that I did not have time to have them cuffed at the tailor. I do like a cuffed cord. Until the next time….

Luis Alcaraz Huerta left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 11:27 AM:

VERY VERY COOL I really love it!!

AWKeller left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 10:55 AM:

This is gorgeous.  He is gorgeous.  Sigh.

ACH left a comment on 11/17/2010 at 8:38 AM:

That wall monogram is pretty great, too.

JMH left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 10:03 PM:

As someone who has followed both UP and SP independently, it is a real thrill to see the two combined this way.  Awesome shot FEC!

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 9:47 PM:

Wrinkles in shirt or pants denote an individual who spends his time with His hands busy multiplying the fruitd of his labor. Beware tge primly pressed man who sits at a desk, doing nothing but managing from a screen. Great shot, great wrinkly pants, fabulous all around!

Tiberius left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 9:20 PM:

Is this the store at M and Connecticut?

The Untidy Pilgrim left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 8:51 PM:

Spot on!

Dan left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 8:37 PM:

The King of Cool.

Victoria left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 6:42 PM:

I just got a Brooks Brothers bow tie, and though I;m a girl I love borrowing from the boys and pairing it with a cute skirt.,

Love his cords!

Gudrun and Iris left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 1:47 PM:

Ha! A banker from Europe (as opposed to the United Kingdom - important!) going out in Knightsbridge. At first glance I thought that guy looked like a young Colin Firth.
    Trousers colour is perfection

http://londonviennacologne.blogspot.com/

OTC left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 11:45 AM:

Great shot Fred - like I said, you have boatloads of talent.

Hoot left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 11:24 AM:

Dear Mr. Castlebury,

This is a great picture.

Regards,

Hoot

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 11:01 AM:

Brilliant! I love every detail.

Theo left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 10:39 AM:

He looks stellar, but everyone take a second look at the woman in the background. I love when ladies take neckwear and make it their own. Even though she’s not in focus that bow tie still pops.

miguel Ramalhão left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 9:41 AM:

I’ve been meaning to find a pair of pants just like these!!! they’re really beautiful. Really cool Guy:::)

pat s left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 9:02 AM:

looking good as always, however i think the Gucci bit loafers are one of few things that look better in black.

Andy M. left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 8:38 AM:

Outstanding!

john lexington left a comment on 11/16/2010 at 8:13 AM:

10! i am liking the whole outfit. good job!

• Newer Posts Older Posts