• December 2010 Playlist

Music & Books  

Dec 6, 2010 | Permalink (24) View/Leave Comments

filippo left a comment on 2/12/2011 at 5:10 PM:

compliments for the selection.
    ciao from italy

Chris left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 7:15 AM:

I’m always late to the party on these. What’s the expiration date on this list before the link is dead? Must prioritize my downloads!

JN left a comment on 12/13/2010 at 3:22 PM:

How do I download this great selection of tunes???

john MacEwan left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 1:39 PM:

Hey Fred.
    Holed up in snow bound Edinburgh, Scotland with Cashmere Queen Caron .. She’s been harping on about your sounds and now we’ve downloaded and she’s happy… Great music ...  Now she will knit these cashmere sweaters faster ...  Happy Christmas

John

JM left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 6:34 PM:

I look forward to the playlist every month, i check as soon as i get home. it was not there. now its up but the link is not working. can we fix this pleaseee :(

Andrew left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 5:19 PM:

I don’t believe the download link is working right now…

Chris M. left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 7:46 PM:

your playlists are superb. And I have just recently found a radio station that plays the same type of music. If you ever get a chance try listening to (www.thealternateside.ord) It’s a WFUV station, that is broadcast from fordham university. Its good listening

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 7:02 PM:

I so look forward to these every month. Thanks again!

ella left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 5:05 PM:

How do you unzip the playlist?
    it’s sick.

Leo Bojesen left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 6:57 AM:

Love these and look forward each month to the awesome playlists. My friends think I’m cool because of these. haha

Lauren left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 8:50 PM:

Awesome. My favorite monthly installment.

angel swanson left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 7:14 PM:

i love when your monthly playlists come out; i listened to the november playlist all over tokyo last month.  :)  thanks for sharing!

Laura Katherine left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 5:57 PM:

Fred, I LOVE these playlists but I can’t get them on my pc—Rafael’s comment made me feel better that it’s not just me (and I work in IT!)
    LK

dillon left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 5:21 PM:

I was afraid i wouldnt see a playlist this month, or it would be cluttered with holiday tunes - thanks for both.

I am seeing some similarities in bands but none that seem ‘subpar’

nice work, and thanks for doing us lazy-listeners a favor.

Glenn left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 3:53 PM:

Thanks again FEC.  Appreciated as always.  I must say though, thought I would see a holiday tune or two this month.  Alas, not to be.

Austin left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 2:36 PM:

Thanks as always! Great taste.

Andrea left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 1:35 PM:

Yay!  Thanks for sharing the tunes. 

For people with PCs, I have been using 7-Zip to transfer the files to my computer.  Considering that it is freeware, it works quite well.

Rafael left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 12:43 PM:

I’m just disappointed that you guys haven’t figured out how to get this playlist download to work on a PC. Until then…

Fredrik left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 12:41 PM:

It’s interesting. For some reason, most preps listen to indie- or indie-related music. I do.

gb left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 12:31 PM:

great choices. thanks for sharing!

MJ left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 12:10 PM:

You have exceptional taste in music. It’s perfect.

Chris left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 11:03 AM:

Finally :-)
    Can’t wait to hear - thank you from Germany!!

Anna left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 10:11 AM:

Huzzah!

adam left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 9:08 AM:

Rock on.

• Feeding the Meter

Style | Dress Code  

Wrapping up our week with the Prepidemic is Dennis Sarkozy in a more dressed up look. He does manage to keep it weekend appropriate with suede tassel beef roll moccasins, a sweater over the shoulders, and passing on the socks. Folding in a glen plaid wool vest is an tasteful way to personalize a dark suit; embracing the tradition of a three piece suit yet not being bound by it. Sarkozy’s layers (sweater, vest, jacket) keep him out of his closet by giving him some options for the cool days and cooler nights, literally buying him more time this weekend.

Photographed in Princeton, NJ (enlarge)

Noteworthy (Sarkozy): I’ve only recently understood the merit of suit culture, namely, the relative ease and expedience of dressing in a seasonally appropriate, dark colored suiting. Rather than spending time matching checks or balancing colors in tweeds, I’ve worn my navy flannel into my days off. Here, without socks, Italian suede tassels, and fall’s “go-to-hell” detail, the affected sweater over the shoulders.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): The sweater’s subtle hue sufficiently downplays any affectation oft associated with wearing it over the shoulders.

Dec 3, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Ash left a comment on 12/5/2010 at 1:19 AM:

All RL everything

JvK left a comment on 12/4/2010 at 11:21 PM:

I like his suit.

Paul left a comment on 12/4/2010 at 10:30 AM:

Looks perfect!

ZPM left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 6:46 PM:

I personally don’t see a problem going sockless in 50 degree weather, just whatever is comfortable. Great look overall… minus the unnecessary sweater. Really enjoyed this week, great job!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 4:27 PM:

Lovely tassels!

chris W. left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 3:39 PM:

Is that an ascot I spy, or a more filled-out way of knotting a tie? (Rhyme unintended..)

Can’t say I’m huge on the sweater over his shoulders when he’s already wearing a vest, but the fantastic cut of his suit well makes up for it.

KJR left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 2:49 PM:

Great blend of green and navy. I love the gray vest that keeps the outfit from being bland.

• Good for a Laugh

Style | Dress Code  

A week with the gentlemen of Prepidemic continues today outside of Princeton’s Pyne Hall. Callis and Sarkozy exude an American sportswear semblance through a grey herringbone jacket and donegal tweed trousers. The brisk air this time of year is ideal to keep warm with mid-weight wools while hanging out between classes.

“The ‘prep’ look itself is quintessentially light and whimsical. I believe it’s important to laugh in your clothes.”      —F.E. Castleberry

Noteworthy (Callis & Sarkozy): As we near the holiday, I try to break out the tartans as much as possible. Whether it be a different clan or just a variation on the same pattern (ancient, dress, hunting, etc), they are always appropriate for this time of season. It’s great how you can wear a black watch shirt with a tuxedo as well as with a pair of jeans and boots. How many pieces in your wardrobe can you say that about?

Grey flannel is my new standard. As a jacket, it’s as versatile as my solid wool, clean and constructed, yet soft enough to wear against hunting and sporting styles.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): Suede wingtips, pop of color in cable-knit sweater, tank watch face (w/nylon band).

Dec 2, 2010 | Permalink (24) View/Leave Comments

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 12:05 AM:

F.E., Are you taking all of these photos? They are truly outstanding. Great color, great style and composition. Really well done.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 1:22 PM:

BernieD & Ernie C.—The shirt is by Land’s End and has been tailored.

Evan C. left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 1:04 PM:

Does anyone know who makes that black watch shirt?

RWF left a comment on 12/5/2010 at 10:26 PM:

These guys definitely have it going! I only wish more guys in college would care more about their wardrobe…I’m sure most of the Ivy League guys still wear hoodies and sweatpants…

CampusSartorialist.com

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/4/2010 at 11:25 PM:

Great idea on looking up the harriman tounement. Those people need FECs eye and lens to make them pop. Many of the looks are similar to what is here on UP

JLT left a comment on 12/4/2010 at 6:39 PM:

On the left:  I’m digging the Modern Gordon Tartan socks from Ralph Lauren.  Similar enough to the Black Watch shirt to look good, but not exactly the same to appear as if “trying too hard.”  An altogether punctilious gentleman.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 6:07 PM:

@Ryan—Just consider it me not holding everyone’s hand.  There is more than one way to skin a cat (aka you can achieve the similar looks through several different brands/designers).  In this particular photograph, I can tell you that many of the pieces are Ralph Lauren.

Ryan left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 5:46 PM:

Fred- Noted and I understand. Just like how SB details each item. To each his own!

BernieD left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 3:45 PM:

Where is that shirt from?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 3:22 PM:

@Ryan—Listing labels of key items is a can of worms I closed a while ago.  Many of the designers are listed in the column on the right.  My goal is to highlight the aesthetic of an individual’s style, not where they shop.

chris W. left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 2:25 PM:

I don’t know, maybe because I’m a girl, but I don’t find the pants on the right too tight… in fact I think that lad looks rather dashing. ;- )

Ryan left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 10:32 AM:

Fred- great photo. Maybe you could start listing the labels of key items? Just a thought…

Tito left a comment on 12/3/2010 at 10:05 AM:

Sarkozy is a BEAST!!!!!! great job…...

Victoria left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 11:54 PM:

Love the outfits, but where are the man on the rights socks? Its winter.

NWR left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 10:41 PM:

Keep up the GREAT work, F.E.C. I’m loving this week’s posts.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 8:56 PM:

What a great picture! I specially like the black watch shirt and socks and both jackets of course.

Blues by Five left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 7:30 PM:

The gentleman to the right (my right) is sharp is tack.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 5:59 PM:

@AEV—HAHA…when I titled this post, I had a hunch you would make a similar comment.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 5:22 PM:

I assumed these guys were laughing about how crazy it was for the guy on the right to be in a sweater, wool pants, lace ups, and wool blazer but w/o socks…....wink.

Tony left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 4:35 PM:

Great wingtips. The pants on the same guy just look SO tight. I guess to each his own… but overall very nice. I say let’s all where NO SOCKS tomorrow! let’s make a stand!

BJP left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 4:26 PM:

Sharp. On the right specifically, is great. I wear more of a break in my slacks, but he looks super well put together. No fights on this one gents?! Yawn.

Hey left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 3:45 PM:

I want those trousers on the right.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 3:31 PM:

Nice. Best of the week so far. Love the cordovan captoes on the left…..

john lexington left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 2:53 PM:

guy on the right has nailed it! perfect, every detail. i need to borrow that look! good job!

• Green Jacket

Style | Dress Code  

Woody Hines co-founded Prepidemic in his Princeton, New Jersey dorm room as a freshman. That was just 18 months ago. In between journalism assignments, cross country, and philosophy lectures, he muses on everything from starting your neckwear collection to building your wardrobe on a student’s budget. Here Woody, his nickname, looks pulled together even though it appears as if he resurrected his khakis from a dirty clothes pile in the corner; which is perfectly acceptable when you are a college student.

Noteworthy (Hines): For the milder weather this holiday season, one can dress up a bit and use his sport coat as outerwear. I usually go sock-less as my feet rarely get chilly. If you’re worried about fickle weather, bring a scarf and you’ll be covered for most contingencies on these is-it-or isn’t-it-cold days. The green with the deep, subdued plaids fits the season as well.

Noteworthy (Castleberry): Khakis nonchalantly worn wrinkled, little to no break in cuff, green in lieu of navy on this gold buttoned blazer.

Dec 1, 2010 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Abbie left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 9:43 PM:

I like the way the pants fit.

john lexington left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 11:27 AM:

I dig the green blazer! gets me ready for Augusta in april! i never wear socks with loafers, I got some crazy looks in the Swiss Alps, loafers no socks at first bahn!in feb! Oh well, to each to his own.

Tito left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 11:22 AM:

GOD Bless you Fred you’re doing a good job with your post, I’ve learn a lot from your blog!

Chris left a comment on 12/2/2010 at 11:16 AM:

What about the playlist (usually appearing on 1st every month)?

Arnold left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 4:49 PM:

This photo screams so much Class

AWKeller left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 1:06 PM:

Spot.  On.  Well played!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 10:49 AM:

Not wanting this week to end. Solid gold on here all week!

KJR left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 10:44 AM:

Besides Off the Cuff and this blog, I haven’t read too many Ivy League style publications that have met my taste. However I just checked out Prepidemic, loved their site, and their Twitter posts are great as well!

JMW left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 10:36 AM:

Excellent! Couldn’t be better.

Andy M. left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 9:05 AM:

These guys are beyond impressive.  This and yesterday’s shoot have been some of the best photographs I’ve ever seen on here.  I covet that scarf.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 8:37 AM:

Great look. I love his blazer and the suede penny loafers.

Tyler P. left a comment on 12/1/2010 at 7:57 AM:

Normally, I’m not a fan of the plaid tie, but Woody pulls it off well. The fit on the jacket is perfect as well as the color! The only thing I would add is a collar pin to keep them from flapping away.

• Newer Posts