• Red Rider

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in Highland Park, TX (enlarge)

Noteworthy: Billy Reid riding boot, suede patch detailing, boys sweater.

Jan 18, 2011 | Permalink (31) View/Leave Comments

Johnny Reb left a comment on 3/30/2012 at 5:36 PM:

By the way, where are you from FEC?

Johnny Reb left a comment on 3/30/2012 at 5:34 PM:

My family has been in Highland Park for generations and I (unfortunately) live in Houston. This style has become very popular in Highland Park and Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Hedwig, Tanglewood, etc (even Tanglewood). in Houston. To those you scorn Southern style as slovenly and tasteless, your probably in the wrong places. Certain enclaves of WASPdom in the South, or at least in Texas, breed this style.

Philip left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 7:23 AM:

Stunning - both the woman and the outfit! Great blog by the way.

Andy M. left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 9:43 AM:

Flawless.  To Hell with the “riding pants aren’t acceptable outside the ring” crowd.  This is a beautiful presentation.

Givemeindiana.tumblr.com left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 8:31 AM:

If I hadn’t already wed, would wife.

Carlos left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 11:18 PM:

I’m in love. Just sayin’.
    If anyone knows where women like this dame actually dress and present themselves so well, speak up. My bags are packed and ready to head out to their direction. I’m tired of skanky LA wear the women here wear.

Joey Dee left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 11:10 PM:

I have missed the posts, and the good portion of january, this is the first one I landed on, and am I glad I did! This girl is adorable, pants, RL sweater, boots, parking lot. I bet its a Whole Foods parking lot. I love Whole Foods for its selection of fashionably organic women !

ben left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 4:48 PM:

nice looking young lady.

Meag left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 12:33 PM:

Don’t know if anyone cares but this look is EXTREMELY popular in Europe, and honestly, these are my dream pants. 

Any clues where they’re from?

laura left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 1:38 AM:

well, back on the subject of the picture…I quite enjoy this look. I am a rider and spend my winters in Wellington (which for those of you who don’t know, is the home of the Winter Equestrian Festival and consequently the epicenter of hunter/jumper competitions from January through April). Rust colored breeches have come back in style over the past few years and this look could easily be seen on professional and stylish riders. I usually wear something quite similar to ride in, switching between rust, tan, and dark olive breeches usually, as well as a sweater over a button up, or vest over a button up (I lean towards more of a country look). Most days I ride in the mornings, go out to lunch or run errands while the grooms are at lunch as well, and pick up training in the afternoons. So, for the sake of efficiency, I usually don’t change to run my errands/go to lunch.

It’s remarkable how many fashionable ladies come up and ask where I got my boots! I have a few, but my favorites are a pair of Der-Dau custom tall boots that fit like a glove. A few inches taller than your “fashion” riding boot, but sleek nonetheless.

Just a quick glimpse of the “real” riding fashions these days!

G.M. left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:43 PM:

hh

khordkutta left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:27 PM:

Any man who doesnt dig a female in riding pants just doesnt seem right to me.

Glenn Kimmell left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 5:28 PM:

Now that’s one beautiful thoroughbred honey more photos of this lass please!

John left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 5:27 PM:

I don’t care if she really rides or not, it’s a fabulous top-to-bottom look. So many women are wearing the most beautiful boots these days. I find it a most welcome trend!

kathie left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:43 PM:

Now that I think of it, almost all of my clothes are equestrian-inspired…some of my luncheon suits and even my evening attire. Wow, after over 20 years of magazine and newspaper photos at events and being in the public eye in general I find out it’s all ‘wrong.’ Dang.

kathie left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:40 PM:

Dex, tell your friend to watch Talbots. They usually have a nice assortment of riding boots, very nice looking and decent quality for under $200.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:27 PM:

Love it. Gorgeous. Her riding pants are incredible.

PAS left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:21 PM:

FEC, 2/2 this week. What a stunning lady. If more young women would trade in their furry ugg boots and sweatshirts for riding boots and sweaters, the world would be better off.

Kathie left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 3:19 PM:

It’s a personal preference. I’ve been riding since I was a toddler - grew up on a ranch as well as showing horses and I ride both English and Western. And YES, I wear my riding clothes to town sometimes. If I’m riding English I will wear those clothes…I seldom, if ever ride Western anymore but I wore those clothes out as well. A lot of times I just didn’t change my clothes to run errands or do other chores. And I never cared what anyone else thought, either. It’s a lifestyle that few understand unless it’s actually their lifestyle - it’s how we made our living for years. I do however smile when I see people wearing ths and it’s the ‘fashion’ versus, as I said before, it was just our way of life.

Dex left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 3:15 PM:

I have told a girl, earlier when there was a picture of KJP’s girl dressed in riding style a ways back that she should aspire to this style, she actually really likes it but is having a hard time finding boots like those that aren’t in the $1000 dollar range that are nice looking.

ryanlsumner left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 2:43 PM:

yes, please.

Shawn left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 1:26 PM:

I think as long as you actually ride it is okay for you to choose to knock around in jodhpurs.  It really seems to come down to personal preference.  I might even go as far to say, even if you don’t ride, it’s ok to wear them with flats or loafers like this:

http://www.jmclaughlin.com/products2.cfm?ID=21265&name=WOMENS-PANTS

I personally like the look.  Great pic.

G. Smart left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 11:51 AM:

Wish more girls dressed like this :)

The Boss left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 10:56 AM:

The suede patches on those pants look incredible.

robdarko left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 10:20 AM:

Mom refers to them as jodhpurs.  Is this a trousers vs slacks vs pants issue?  Oh, are these the breeches you get too big for in that saying?  Because, I literally got too big for mine and have to wear Levi’s when riding.

Jules left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 9:53 AM:

As a rider myself i find feeling silly if wearing freaking expensive “breeches” in public and still get strange looks if i am really on the way to the barn and wear them…....why is it okay if RL made them? Strange world…but nice outfit. often dress the same at the barn without the white shirt and with real breeches! ;-)

Tito left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:51 AM:

She’s HOT, & the classic riding pants, one of Ralph Laurens famous basics, she nails it!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:43 AM:

Cute outfit, attractive woman. I like it!

john lexington left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:27 AM:

i have always liked this look! i know a girl who often wore this in college, with great success. i dont care what activity she is engaged in, she looks great!

NWR left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:27 AM:

Love the pants. Very sexy!

G.M. left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 7:23 AM:

I am curious: How do you manage appearing in New York one day and Texas the next?  Are these posts collections of pictures previously taken, or does your blog afford you the opportunity for extensive travel?

• Letterman

Top Drawer | Dress Code | Prep Essentials  

Photographed in Dallas, TX (enlarge)

Noteworthy: varsity letterman jacket* (vintage color transfer), burgundy tassel loafers, green moleskin jean.

*courtesy of Gant Rugger

Jan 17, 2011 | Permalink (43) View/Leave Comments

James Emanuel left a comment on 2/11/2014 at 8:18 PM:

Fred, have you seen this photo? I couldn’t help but think of this post after stumbling across this product on American Apparel’s site

http://store.americanapparel.net/wool-club-jacket-with-leather-sleeves_rsawn402

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2012 at 1:06 PM:

@David & SCD—You can always shop vintage. The fit might not be spot on but you might find them for $200.

SCD left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 2:03 PM:

do you know where i can get a nice wool boys letterman from? brooks brothers had a good one but it disappeared from the sale.
    thanks

HLN left a comment on 9/3/2011 at 4:59 AM:

Love the blog as always. Quick question. What’s the sizing like on the gant varsity jacket, what size do you wear? Thinking about getting it online. Thanks HLN

David left a comment on 8/26/2011 at 11:33 AM:

I love the varsity jacket and hope to get one this fall season.  The $1000 price tag on this Gant Rugger is pretty hefty.  Anyone know of alternatives or if RL or Rugby will release a good wool one?  Thanks.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/15/2011 at 10:15 PM:

@Smoove—Ralph Lauren.

Smoove left a comment on 6/15/2011 at 10:03 PM:

I realize I am extremely late here, but I was just browsing through the archives. Where are those Green Jeans from?

Breathless left a comment on 2/1/2011 at 8:29 AM:

Loooove this look. And especially the shoes.

Alexander left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 1:23 AM:

This look seems like a great culmination of a lot of different sartorial choices you’ve been shooting. The loafers/no break combo green pants is spot on, might raise a few eyebrows across campus.

On a side note I’ve enjoyed seeing this blog grow into a place for decent conversation of men’s fashion and it has really helped to guide my clothing choices over the last few months.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.

Alexander

Kieran left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 3:32 AM:

I cannot believe you bought those Aldens on ebay. What a find - they look absolutely fantastic. But then again, my grandparents bought me some years and years ago on a New England holiday, and they haven’t aged a bit.

FSF left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 2:22 AM:

I hope it isn’t too late to contribute to this thread but I must say this entire look - from head to toe - is a study in PERFECTION. Quick question, Fred, what did you layer beneath the blue oxford? A crew or v-neck or henley tee? Or did you just opt for a bare neckline?

bunny left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 11:30 PM:

iconic.

Trailer Trad left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:21 PM:

You’re on a roll. Strong look.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:28 PM:

@bearjew—I wear a Timex Easy Reader with a variety of nylon watch bands.

bearjew left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 4:25 PM:

Great pic! Really love your watch and want one myself. can you please tell me Brand and Modelname?

Dwayne Johnson left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 11:19 AM:

Great look!  I love it!

Andy M. left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 8:34 AM:

Best men’s post on here maybe ever.  I’m not going to partake in the university jacket comeback, but it’s well executed here and everything else, E28 5-Series included, is smashing.

PAS left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:38 PM:

Absolutely smashing the game FEC. This is the best post/look to date. Continue the good work.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:14 PM:

Great picture! I love the entire look from the loafers to the hair. Every detail!

Bernard left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:07 PM:

This is my first time commenting but ever since I have stumbled upon this website I have been in complete aw of all your postings, opinions and as well as your personal looks.

With that note, I love this outfit and as a result of liking it so much I ended up buying similar looking pants from RUGBY!

David left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 10:54 PM:

Excellent look Fred, I really think it’s time for the letterman jacket to make a comeback and Gant Rugger kicked it off perfectly. Also glad to see your new 535 make it into a photoshoot!

Wes left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 9:59 PM:

i love the loafers styled this way…theyre dressy, but come off more casual in this look. Also love the glasses

Richard Ross left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 5:34 PM:

You were killing it that night. I think Sara’s pants helped set the look off even more.

The WASP Nest

chris W. left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 4:16 PM:

By far my favourite look from you!

Campbell left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 2:19 PM:

Far from disliking the sock-less look, I merely assert my blizzard-beaten jealousy. Looks great, mate.

john lexington left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 1:29 PM:

love the car! last of the great 5 series!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 1:06 PM:

@MPM—I use Bed Head (for men) Matte Separation Workable Wax and go 3-4 days between washing my hair.

MPM left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 12:55 PM:

Love this look. What hair product do you use? You always have that perfect styled coiff.

Connetiquette left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 12:18 PM:

Definitely one of my favorites.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 12:08 PM:

@Al—My oxford and rugby are by Rugby Ralph Lauren. My initial thought on layering a short sleeved rugby over an oxford is that the oxford would need to be short sleeved as well. Try it out for yourself.

The Boss left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:58 AM:

Good call on picking up that varsity jacket—ties the whole look together.

Al left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:53 AM:

@FEC, this is a fantastic look. What brands are the oxford and rugby shirts? And do you think layering a rugby over an oxford would also work if the rugby had short sleeves?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:43 AM:

@NWR—This varsity jacket is actually from Gant Rugger’s Fall/Winter 2011 line…it will be available for sale come September.

@Dan & Jon—It’s my ‘87 Bimmer 535i. My glasses are Eye Bobs. I get asked if they are Persols all the time.

@JRS—Yes, these are the same Aldens I featured last week (see the link in the “noteworthy” aside).

@DEX—My glasses are Eye Bobs (readers) that I had prescription lenses put into. My jeans are actually moleskin; like a cord but without the wales.

NWR left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 11:35 AM:

@FEC - Any tips on where the jacket is from? I’ve been loving the varsity-jacket movement this year, but am unsure how to go about snagging one with vintage feel.

Tito left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 10:23 AM:

Nice shot, I’m digging the Eye Bobs specs, the varsity letterman jacket and the BMW!

John left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 9:56 AM:

@dan - Ah, yes. The door panel was throwing me. The wheel rim is the giveaway.

AEV left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 9:49 AM:

Love the loafers, love the (mint) old BMW - but, while I can appreciate the overall look, it’s a little too “Bye Bye Birdie” for my personal taste…..

John H. left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 9:14 AM:

Yet again FEC I have to hate you for getting something so well put together, but natural looking.  I wish I could figure something like this out all the time! Great everything!

dan left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 9:05 AM:

it’s a beamer…the alden’s look great…and are those Persols, FEC?

John left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 8:57 AM:

Very cool. The rugby over the oxford really sells it. What are the wheels? Looks like an old-school Volvo from this angle.

JRS left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 8:20 AM:

The tassels look sharp…is this the pair you mentioned earlier?

Henry left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 7:56 AM:

This is a great look. I especially like the abundance of stripes: on the jacket, the rugby, the watch-strap and the corduroy fabric of the trousers. But above all, the photography is very well composed.

DEX left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 7:38 AM:

I have never seen loafers such as these worn in a way I liked but you are looking sick in this man, the kelly green cords go perfect with them. What are the glasses?

• 60/40

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Noteworthy: Penfield 60/40 jacket, L.L. Bean Boot moccasins, layered with Norwegian sweater.

Jan 14, 2011 | Permalink (33) View/Leave Comments

DeAris E. Greenidge left a comment on 2/4/2011 at 9:18 AM:

Hello Castlebury,

I was looking at your bean boot mocs and i went online to look for that color way, they dont have those in mens but they are in womens. I just wanted to know whats your size and if i were to get them are they uncomfortable.

Joey Dee left a comment on 1/22/2011 at 7:44 PM:

Love the socks

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 6:59 PM:

@Michael—Total Wit.

Michael left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 6:48 PM:

Thanks!! Are they “Total Wit” or “Gone Fishing” style?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 2:33 PM:

@Michael—Eye Bobs makes my glasses.

Michael left a comment on 1/18/2011 at 2:23 PM:

Great look! Who make the glasses????

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/17/2011 at 1:45 AM:

@Old World—American sportswear inherently possesses a youthful aesthetic. I intend to dress exactly my age.

@Jeff—These particular cords are Polo.

@J—These pants are corduroy and they are, here, untailored.

Old World left a comment on 1/16/2011 at 11:46 PM:

This is why we Europeans think that Americans never grow up.

Jeff left a comment on 1/16/2011 at 11:32 PM:

May I inquire as to the brand of these kahkis?

chris W. left a comment on 1/16/2011 at 10:12 PM:

Top notch! Liking the touches of red. Looks good with your hair/complexion.

J left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 7:17 PM:

What about those pants?  I’ve never been able to find good fitting khakis.  The last tailor I went to didn’t live up to expectations and was a waste of money. Are they tailored?  And if so, how much do you usually pay to get pants tailored?

John left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 6:16 PM:

How did you get blue Bean mocs? When I bought mine all they had for guys was brown.

fsp left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 5:02 PM:

Cool look to keep warm!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 3:42 PM:

@Eric—Yes sir. J.Crew camps socks.

eric left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 3:30 PM:

nice socks.  j. crew camp? 
    acutestyle.tumblr.com

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 2:23 PM:

@Dave—I really like my Norwegian sweater. Order one size down (I am a medium but went down to a small) and it should minimize most fit issues other customers are having.

krc left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 2:12 PM:

the best thing to do for shoes that are too big is to buy superfeet insertable soles. they make your shoes extra comfortable and help add bulk to a shoe that is too large.

bunny left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 1:52 PM:

those convertible mittens are adorable. i like the bit of red plaid peeking out. color scheme has a patriotic appeal. and the cold air breathe completes it.

Dave left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 1:17 PM:

Fred, followed the link to your Norwegian sweater post and was wondering if you had any pictures of you wearing the sweater for fit purposes? I was going to pull the trigger on it, but the comments are rife with people complaining about the extra fabric/bunching at the waist, which is an issue I’ve repeatedly had with Bean sweaters, even the Signature ones. Have you noticed this at all?

kathie left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 12:52 PM:

Mahvelous, dahling! You look mahvelous. (not to mention warm)  ;)

AWKeller left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 11:05 AM:

Classic.  Gorgeous.  I’ve been meaning to ask about your glasses- who makes those frames?  They’re lovely.

trip left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 10:04 AM:

I really like the larger photos.  Also, I think those mocs are great and don’t understand why they only list navy for women.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 9:53 AM:

@robdarko—They definitely took care of you there. They were good about recommending I size down to a small for a slimmer fit.

robdarko left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 9:49 AM:

Happy New Year, F.E.C.  I cannot wait to flip through the lookbook.

P.S.  LL Bean switched out my large Norwegian sweater for a medium.  They truly offer excellent customer service.  Although the large sweater was never worn, it was bought on 10/28/2009.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 9:20 AM:

@Shawn—The secret which EdoubleM.com speaks of is the fact that these Bean Boot mocs are navy. L.L. Bean only offers brown for men, but for the women they offer a variety of colors. So technically these are “womens” Bean Boot mocs.  The womens are exactly the same fit as the mens save for the smaller sizing. Men, if you decide to buy a womens pair, order the same size you would normally wear (do not size down). For example, my foot is typically a 10 and I wear a 10 in the womens Bean Boot moc. If you want the brown mens Bean Boot moc, I would suggest going one-two sizes down in order to prevent your heel from slipping. In my case that would have been an 8 or 9 depending on the thickness of socks I prefer (I often wear these with no socks so I would go two sizes down). Shawn, if you cannot exchange your shoes, try tightening the 360 leather lacing system to create a snugger fit in the heel cup.

@Nate—I believe Penfield fits true to size in their outerwear. This jacket is a medium.

@Hoot & Christian—The 60/40 jacket is from Penfield, as disclosed in the “Noteworthy” section. It can be purchased from the Penfield website.

Shawn left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:56 AM:

@EdoubleM.com-What’s the secret behind the mocs?  I have a pair and I never wear them because my foot is always slipping out.  I got them a size smaller as is suggested, but I’m thinking I should have gone two down.

Nate left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:43 AM:

Guys… I believe the jacket to be a Penfield… http://www.penfieldusa.com/us/kasson-navy.html

Fred… What size do you wear in that jacket?  You helped me out a lot on sizing my Schott peacoat a couple months back.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:43 AM:

The whole look is golden! Favorite part, the peak of color with the socks. Second favorite part, seeing the breath in the air.

EdoubleM.com left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:36 AM:

I have the same LL Bean Moccasins as you! Don’t worry I won’t share the secret behind those. Nice jacket as well!

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:23 AM:

Love the gloves. You make being cold look luxurious.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:18 AM:

Great picture Fred, I like the entire look. What brand is that jacket?

Hoot left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 8:15 AM:

Dear Mr. Castlebury,

That jacket reminds me of the original Baxter State Parka from LL Bean.  I really like this coat.  Is there anyway you could post a link as to where one could buy that coat?

Regards,

Hoot.

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 7:11 AM:

Nice gloves for iPhone and touch devices!
    All the best and a happy 2011 to all!

• Window Shopping

Dress Code  

Photographed in Princeton, NJ (enlarge)

Noteworthy: rich textures and patterns, brogue heels, contrasting gloves.

Jan 13, 2011 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/15/2011 at 10:09 PM:

@C.C.—Try Brooks Brothers, J.Crew or Ralph Lauren.

C.C left a comment on 1/15/2011 at 9:56 PM:

Does anyone know where might I find a similar coat like hers?

Ella left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 7:01 PM:

I always learn a little something while reading the comments on your posts. I was unaware that preppy aficionados were so critical of their own style. It amazes me how opinionated people are, and it is quite entertaining. That being said, everything is wonderful and I love checking out new posts!

So, keep up the awesome work! And take more pictures in FW. That’s my favorite part ;)

Ana left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 6:48 PM:

Love everything she’s wearing: the subtle pattern on the coat, the on-trend tights yet classic, the heeled brogues. She reminds me so much of girls with whom I attended high school - in the best possible way.

yankee-whisky-papa.blogspot.com left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 11:19 PM:

Those heels indicate a well-cleared winter sidewalk… no ice or salt.  The model looks about seven feet tall and cold-legged, but window shopping usually involves the INSIDE of the window for ladies, while men stay to the outside.

Angel left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 9:30 PM:

So Stunning! Have I seen her on here before? The lip color and gloves are the big winners for me.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

Emmy left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 8:56 PM:

I love the jacket, although I wish the skirt was just about an inch longer.
    I also love the red lipstick. I wish I could pull that look off but I’m just too blonde and fair skinned, it looks tacky.

robin left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 8:45 PM:

This blog is incredible and F.E. and his models have great taste. Wonderful job as always!

northshore left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 7:05 PM:

love the gloves. rugby i assume?

Julie left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 3:49 PM:

Love this Fred!  I get so inspired when you do posts for women!

Campbell left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 1:56 PM:

Lovely. I’m assuming that is a mens/boys coat? Just basing that guess on the button location, though.

Incorporating men’s items into a feminine aesthetic is so clutch though, much like this Kate Lanphear look that Garance posted recently:

http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2010/04/07/comment-porter-le-sweat-de-votre-petit-frere/

I also really appreciate the Brogues, they look fantastic.

pansisso left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 1:26 PM:

LOVE the lipstick. HOTLIPS!!!!!!

john lexington left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 1:00 PM:

perfect

Hannah B. left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 11:52 AM:

*Love* the textures! That unique of a jacket for women is so hard to find! & those tights? LOVE!

brie left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 11:35 AM:

not feeling this one as much… but she’s a gorgeous girl & i am loving the red lips!

MPM left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 11:33 AM:

Incredible, love the color scheme.

dan left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 8:04 AM:

gorgeous!  the gloves play off the smallest hint of blue in the coat.  great shot…thanks FEC!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 8:03 AM:

Love this. That jacket is killer!

• Alden Original Tassel Loafer

Style | Prep Essentials  

Men’s dress shoes boasting the gold standard of genuine Goodyear welt construction can run upwards of $800. They can certainly be worth every penny; however, the cash can be hard to cough up for those with class who may not come from important money. Sometimes it makes sense to walk a mile in another man’s shoes. It can also save you some. Tens of thousands actually. I regularly peruse eBay for pre-owned Aldens, the beloved “Made in USA” men’s dress shoe. These Alden burgundy calfskin Tassel Moccasins, while more than $400 brand new, were a mere $59 after shipping. That’s a better deal than cheap plane tickets to Europe on a discount website.

After a thorough polish, they cleaned up considerably well. In 12-18 months they will be an ideal candidate for Alden’s restoration service. Alden’s craftsmen will repair and refinish the uppers, completely remake the oak tanned leather soles, pack them in a new Alden box and polish them off with cedar shoe trees and cloth bags ($145, free shipping). Be familiar with your size and width in a particular maker’s shoe and last before scouring the world's largest thrift store as most sales are final. You can put the hundreds you save towards your plane ticket to Europe. Spring for business class.

Jan 12, 2011 | Permalink (24) View/Leave Comments

Victor Delta left a comment on 1/20/2012 at 10:55 AM:

I couldn’t wait to get mine recrafted. Mine were almost new when I sent them back for a double oak soles. They came back looking like pair of Crockett and Jonesies. Better.

Joey Dee left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 4:12 PM:

Catching up on the month of January Unabashedly posts before I find myself in February. One of your most admirable traits os the fact that you are frugal, and not afraid to shop Goodwills or local charity thrift houses! Great find!

Bernard left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 12:01 AM:

thanks! keep up the great work! look forward to your next post.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 4:32 PM:

@Bernard—My experience with most Alden lasts is that you should order a 1/2 size down.  I typically wear a 10 but in Alden I wear a 9 1/2.

Bernard left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 4:15 PM:

Just looked around and there is an Alden loafer i would love to get on ebay. I have never tried on an Alden shoe and how did you determine the right size? I usually wear a 8.5-9 when it comes to loafers and oxfords. Did u size up or down? or…thanks!

Bill Smith left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 5:50 PM:

I am seriously warming up to this style of loafer.

Miguel Ramalhão left a comment on 1/14/2011 at 12:25 PM:

Thats a beautiful pair of shoes. If you’de like some new ones. Not Alden but a Portuguese brand I can send you the pics, and if you want one I can ship them to you.
    They look amazing, and are beautifully built. They resell for 300€...

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 1:46 PM:

@Jeremy—What a find!  However, I would consider myself “one-upped” had you continued to wear the shoes instead of selling them.  I look forward to restoring these time and time again.

Jeremy left a comment on 1/13/2011 at 11:52 AM:

I hate to “one up” you, but I found the exact model shoes and 2 other pairs of Alden Loafers IN MY SIZE at a local thrift shop for $4.99 each. I did end up selling them on ebay, although I feel like shopping venues like ETSY are better for sale/exchange of used clothing/footwear.

Don left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 2:32 PM:

I get shirts, jackets, ties, etc. on eBay all the time. But never used shoes. Aside from “foot issues,” leather shoes will gradually change to form-fit the owners foot. That means even the same size shoe may not fit you well.

Thomas left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 2:06 PM:

You got a great deal. eBay is a great place to buy gently used shoes. I just bought a beautiful allen edmonds cap toe oxford for $35.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 1:59 PM:

@Jason T—That would be something if these were indeed once yours.  I wear a B/D in Aldens so these probably weren’t your previous pair; however, I do hope you replaced the tassel loafers that you sold.

Jason T left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 1:34 PM:

Hey, I’m pretty sure you bought those from me! If they were a narrow fit and you got them a little while back, they were once mine to. Beautiful shoes. Love the blog. Please wear them well.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 12:33 PM:

@c.f.—I take the Woodlore tags off.

@robdarko—I never said the shoe would be brand new on the inside.  My frugality overshadows any concern of the former owner’s foot issues.  The fuss over that is a bit overrated.  More than likely the previous owner wore them with socks.  It’s leather inside of there…not the carpet of a previous resident who owned pets and smoked.  If you have the cash on hand, by all means, buy new.  I have nothing against buying new.

c.f. left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 12:13 PM:

Do you take the “Woodlore” tags off of your shoe trees or did you find them somewhere without tags?

Jeremiah left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 12:00 PM:

Nice pull my man. I suppose great minds think alike, as I just did a post on the tan variety… http://wp.me/pXXtj-sD

Angel left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 11:36 AM:

Very nice, shopping ebay for shoes is something I’ve been trying to do but I have to figure my size for some of brands found on there. Its a great way to save and get top quality leather for less.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

BJP left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 11:02 AM:

None better than these. Let’s keep the Ebay tips on the quiet. ...you are killing my win percentage.

Tom Bosché left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 10:48 AM:

Young Man - Once again, you have hit the mark with this classic pair of American-made loafers. Furthermore, your advocacy for reusing and restoring quality goods is insiring to those of us who believe that preserving and maintaining one’s traditional, timeless indulgences is always preferable to the discardability inherent in the fads of modern fashion.  You are definitely on the right track here!

robdarko left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 10:01 AM:

I am really persnickety, F.E.C.  Will it truly be a brand new shoe on the inside?  Will it keep no memory of the former owner’s foot issues?

A friend procured a Fair Isle sweater and my obnoxious coveting ended the minute I got two feet from the article of clothing.  It was not offensive but the sweater had a peculiar body odor.  Needless to say, I could not bring myself to try it on.

Tito left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 9:54 AM:

I’m digging the number 8!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 9:45 AM:

What a beautiful pair of loafers. Classic, excellent quality. Nice picture.

AEV left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 8:13 AM:

Beautiful, classic loafers - especially in the burgundy and/or shell cordovan….nice pick up.

JRS left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 7:41 AM:

Very nice find!  The Alden restoration is worth every penny: http://redclaysoul.blogspot.com/2010/09/alden-986-restoration-part-two-results.html

So - you’ll have essentially a new pair of Alden tassels for $204.  Well played.

• Newer Posts Older Posts