• The Polo Coat

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: polo coat, silk knit tie, collar pin, black watch scarf.

Jan 11, 2011 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Jancis Robertson left a comment on 9/29/2011 at 7:45 AM:

He looks delightful from the ankles down.

Pratt left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 6:23 AM:

What’s the fit and sizing of the RL coat like?
    Would you size down? Or are they very slim?
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paul left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 2:43 PM:

After some 25 years I just started to manufacture knit ties once again. This time in addition to the typical silk and or wool I am making them from eco2cotton, regenerated fibers. We will be breaking the line (wholesale) at MAGIC in Las Vegas, Feb 14-16.  Sometime thereafter we will post “where to buy” on our web site, www.valentinibelts.com

chris W. left a comment on 1/12/2011 at 10:24 AM:

Got to be honest—I quite like it except for the hat. I love seeing a man wear hats, but not of this variety. Patchwork is all fine and good, but something about this particular style isn’t ringing any bells.

But from his eyeballs down he looks fantastic!

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 9:04 PM:

It’s a great look, I love the trousers, the jacket, the shirt, tie and scarf but the coat is too long for my taste! Good post anyway!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 8:33 PM:

Nice coat, nice scarf.

eric left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 4:32 PM:

I love that black watch scarf.  I just gone one in the mail yesterday off eBay. 
    acutestyle.tumblr.com

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 3:58 PM:

Great look. Not sure I like the hat, but then again, it’s not something a lot of men would wear and it personalizes the outfit.

Emmy left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 3:55 PM:

Although I don’t really like the feel of the whole outfit, I agree with Vern Trotter - the pants do look superb. They remind me of something my father would wear, and he is the epitome of a classy dresser - who dresses for his age. No-break pants are well and good, but a medium break seems a little more mature in my opinion. Great to see!
    I also love the bag, though I’d love it more in a slightly darker blue.

Vern Trotter left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 1:39 PM:

Everything looks great here. His trousers are the correct length unlike what is usually shown on this site. The shoes look especially good and complement the coat.

Hoot left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 12:21 PM:

I think this is a fantastic post.  I think we all could personalize this outfit anyway we wanted (i.e. with cap, without cap, etc).  I think he looks like he’s having fun with the cap; good for him. 

Regards,

Hoot.

Samuel left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 11:49 AM:

These Polo coat’s are so dope, I check ebay for them every day.  No luck yet.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

robdarko left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 11:22 AM:

Caps (patchwork to boot) can be extremely polarizing but I can appreciate C.C.’s effort.  The other choices made on this day are pitch perfect.  The color combination is a personal favorite.  He is geared up in all sorts of textures, weaves, and knits.  The Black Watch tartan scarf is a nice touch. 

IMHO

P.S.  Those pants have a proper break and it is very refreshing to see this on UP.

JRS left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 10:32 AM:

Wow - outstanding look.  About as classic as it gets.  I really dig the brown cap toes with the charcoal trousers.  Sharp.

Tito left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 9:02 AM:

Great look, I need that Polo Ralph Lauren coat in my life PRONTO!

• Close Up and Private SS11 Paintings

Culture  

This spring Sergei Sviatchenko continues his on-going project, “Close Up and Private”, aiming to capture the spirit of modern style, as seen through the subtle shades of the individual. Recently, his work has taken form by way of collaborations. Whether it be with media artist Noriko Okaku or with painter Sergey Nielsen, as is the case here, the curated collection continues to celebrate classic details and contemporary looks. Of particular note is the sweater vest. Like the tassel loafer, it is a signature piece within my wardrobe despite fashion's whimsy.

Jan 10, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Max Grey left a comment on 1/29/2011 at 1:52 AM:

That’s really inspiring and great.

gillian left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 4:44 PM:

great colors. the chunky brush strokes suggest movement in each one. loving the navy sweater vest in particular.

Angela left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 11:55 AM:

Absolutely in love with these!  Perfect combination of arts.

Rugged left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 11:53 AM:

Wow, these paintings are so awesome!
    I wish I’d have them in my place.

Katherine left a comment on 1/11/2011 at 7:26 AM:

@Tito Most of the time it is not the artist in the paintings/photographs. The first one is him though. The composition is definitely very interesting.
    I also like how he is combining the different art forms now: photography and painting.

Emily left a comment on 1/10/2011 at 6:14 PM:

These are beautiful.

Kelly left a comment on 1/10/2011 at 5:06 PM:

these are great!! remind me of elizabeth peyton.

UK Prep left a comment on 1/10/2011 at 1:57 PM:

Yes love it! When is Morris going to come to the states or U.K so good, and so annoying

Tito left a comment on 1/10/2011 at 10:49 AM:

What really amazed me about that site is the way he position he’s self to take shots, and the way he’d make a navy & herringbone blazer work with multiple styles.
    This people are real artist!

Prep to Death left a comment on 1/10/2011 at 9:58 AM:

Marvellous works, good to see such talent on here!

• Adaptability

Miscellany  

Jan 7, 2011 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Sock It To ‘Em

Style  

by Chris Callis and Woody Hines of Prepidemic

While many prepsters pine for sock-less weather, ‘tis the season to relish incorporating another functional accessory into our wardrobes. Now that we’re in the thick of winter when going sock-less results in frostbitten ankles, we’ve brought out our best and brightest to keep our lower extremities warm. Within the man’s ‘uniform,’ there are few better places to inject your personality. Very few guys put any serious thought into their socks. Instead, hordes pull on pair after pair of black dress socks that do anything but express their temperament. Bring up your inseam and and have a little fun with color, pattern and texture.

Here we present an array of stripes, checks, plaids and even toss in a pair of red/white marled wool for good measure. When pairing socks, shoes, and trousers, pare back at least one color in order to avoid donning a costume. This works especially well when you want your socks to really pop, as is the case with the cordovan tassel loafers, chalk stripe trousers and blue/red/yellow stripe socks. The dark pants and shoes frame the socks perfectly so that the red and yellow really jump out at you--the perfect little style secret for guys at the office or on campus.

Rugby, Polo

Smart Turnout, Polo

Smart Turnout, J.Crew

Jan 6, 2011 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

shana left a comment on 9/25/2012 at 12:40 AM:

Anyone know who makes the middle right slip ons?

dana left a comment on 1/9/2011 at 3:19 PM:

please register me to your blog…love it

John left a comment on 1/8/2011 at 3:45 PM:

I’m always afraid to wear colored or patterned socks for fear of clashing/inappropriate combinations. What rules would you say govern the relationship between socks and the overall look?

The Boss left a comment on 1/7/2011 at 12:16 PM:

I’ve got those buffalo plaid socks from Polo, and honestly I’ve lost count how many compliments I’ve gotten on them.

Those marled J. Crew socks are so warm, too. I would recommend hitting up your local J. Crew to take advantage of their 2 for $20 sale—while supplies last!

Terry left a comment on 1/7/2011 at 3:33 AM:

While we take a different approach to socks at PartyInYourShoes.com, we’ll admit that these are some nice socks.

C. J. G. left a comment on 1/7/2011 at 1:38 AM:

where are the bottom right shoes from?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 9:52 PM:

@AGF—The tassel moccasins are Allen Edmonds.

AGF left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 9:39 PM:

The first picture. Who makes those tassel loafers?

GAW left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 7:52 PM:

I love colored and patterned socks.  Only problem is that I have big calves and absolutely hate socks falling down my legs, so I must have over-the-calf socks, yet I can’t find any true OTC socks with unique designs.

V left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 5:22 PM:

Love them all! Next time I see a prepster, I will check to see if they’ve covered this detail.

spoozy left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 4:37 PM:

Wow, those socks are nice, like em. They add a touch of youthfulnetss and individuality in one´s attire. Personally, i stick with Angel, however. I prefer plain coloured socks, too, there easier to match, but still make up for an eyecatcher.

www.kleidsam.tumblr.com
    www.kleidsam.blogspot.com

Angel left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 1:07 PM:

Very nice, I love brightly colored socks, I use to do more Argyle and strips but I mostly stick to solid colors now, suit me better I guess.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 12:13 PM:

@Devin—Yes.

Devin left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 12:10 PM:

Are the loafers in the bottom left pic RL Singletons?

Bill left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 11:37 AM:

Who makes the slip-ons in the middle right picture?

Rico left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 10:18 AM:

Great post.  I love using socks as one of the little details that bring what I’m wearing together.  It is a way of expressing oneself.  What are those shoes in the 4th picture?  The slippers?

Tito left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 9:53 AM:

Wow, I’m digging the details, good ideas for my arsenals!
    You cannot go wrong with argyle socks, Never!
    Keep the good work!

Richard Ross left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 9:04 AM:

To get the longest life out of your socks, is it best to hang dry them?

This was my night last night:

AEV left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 7:53 AM:

I love some of these, don’t care for others - but, what I enjoy most is the fairly straight forward - and seemingly obvious - admission that cold weather calls for covering one’s ankles. Some sharp shoes too - nice post.

• World Snow Polo Championship

Sports  

Audi's team of aces beat out the Beluga Vodka squad from Russia to capture the World Snow Polo Championship in Aspen two weeks ago after a bitter cold battle. The sport was first introduced in 1985 at the resort town of St. Moritz, Switzerland. Though similar to arena polo, matches are played on a snow-packed arena surrounded by fencing keeping the ball in play. Horses are shod with special cleated shoes providing better traction, the ball is larger, lighter and a resilient red offering better visibility. What of the spectators? They, along with celebrities, gather under heated tents while they enjoy the action on the field.

Jan 5, 2011 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

AMC left a comment on 1/6/2011 at 3:10 AM:

The point that its dangerous for the ponies is silly, conventional polo causes many serious injuries to both riders and ponies, with the second highest fatality rate of any sport what do you expect. Also playing in snow extends the season and brings the sport to wider range of people only serving to propagate the growth of polo within society. Excellent photo.

MFR left a comment on 1/5/2011 at 2:57 PM:

Ah, celebrities are there along with the spectators? Count me in! If someone famous—for whatever reason—likes it, it must be worthwhile.

Justin left a comment on 1/5/2011 at 10:22 AM:

I would think that, had this snow polo taken place in Florida, it would be a little forced.  Instead, Aspen seems like a perfectly logical choice to add snow to a sport.

G. Smart left a comment on 1/5/2011 at 10:09 AM:

I love snow polo. Elephant Polo is better though ;)

• Newer Posts Older Posts