• Red, Green, Blue

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Noteworthy: suede desert boot, denim jacket for an interesting twist.

Jan 25, 2011 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

Quincy left a comment on 3/12/2011 at 7:51 PM:

heart.
    From the toggle jacket, green cords down to the ever and always -will- be classic desert boots.  He just needs a good skull cap, he looks cold.

Dolores left a comment on 1/30/2011 at 3:41 PM:

The look is absolutely great. The colors he wears are bold and fabulous. Good job Nick, I wish all guys could pull off a bow tie, green pants, and suede shoes like you do.

JFS left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 10:51 AM:

I’d like to say great look, it’s got some knowledge to impart to all of us on how you can develop a sense of style that is both universally noticed and appreciated as well as entirely your own, by being unabashedly you.

BLEUDENIM left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 10:32 AM:

A big thanks to Unabashedly Prep from BLEUDENIM for this post…

(ps the guy in the photo isn’t a young kid…he’s 21)

Slick and Clarence

Nick Kovaleski left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 10:18 AM:

The pants are not cords, they are Milano fit pants from Brooks Brothers.  I’m sad that no one noticed I was wearing a bow tie…The jean jacket, my buddy Jordan and I run a blog as well…
    BLEUDENIM: http://lesbluejeans.blogspot.com/
    I try to incorporate at least one piece of denim in every outfit

-Nick

PMC left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 1:08 AM:

Are the pants even cords and where are they from?  Please and thank you.

JMH left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 10:25 PM:

Coming from a particularly cold climate (I have been in -40 degree weather), I have to say that I am a fan of this look.  Multiple layers are very difficult to pull off with warm clothes, and this fellow manages to have many distinct layers without appearing to be overly encumbered.  The shirt, sweater, overcoat look is dull and usually monotone, whereas here we have colours, fabrics and patterns all mixed up and coexisting. 

To those who criticize, I would love to see somebody pull off the model-from-Milan skin-tight fit that seems to be preferred while maintaining both warmth and full use of the arms.  This picture, to me, highlights functionality, which is very preppy.

Emmy left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 4:30 PM:

I was all set to give a negative comment, but New York this week was so bitterly cold, I salute his layering. Anything to keep that wind at bay.
    I also have a special place in my heart for toggle coats.

J left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 3:52 PM:

A huge positive I see in this is he looks comfortable, something that can take you very far when dressing.  Sometimes in the winter when everything fits right with layers it causes you to be uncomfortable. This may not be seen in a picture, but is the worst thing possible to see in real life. Duffle coats are supposed to fit loosely as well. I also think the jean jacket brings a little edge to the look.  It’s a thumbs up from me, even if it needs a few tweaks.

Murphy left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 3:51 PM:

I think he looks great. It looks like the jean jacket just happened to be what was closest to his bed when he got up this morning. Sort of a charming idea.

AEV left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 1:56 PM:

Just so I’m clear, this dude is wearing a white shirt, cardigan sweater, jean jacket, duffle coat, a scarf, green corduroys, and desert boots?  I see.

KJR left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 12:42 PM:

Nice to see a different shade of green besides the standard forest in this season. The vibrant pants are complemented by the muted red vest (cardigan?) and the dark coat. A great look.

Tito left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 12:18 PM:

Power Layering love it!

Angel left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 12:09 PM:

Always great to keep winter “warm” with some color, kind of Christmasy. Glad he can pull off layering so well unlike myself.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

• Red Lace

Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX (enlarge)

Noteworthy: red laces in saddle shoes, tailored look despite being 6'9", classic hair style.

Jan 24, 2011 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

Albert left a comment on 8/13/2012 at 6:40 PM:

What size shoe does he wear ? I’m 6’8 but I wear a size 17 ?

Benjo left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 11:17 AM:

Speaking of laces, we have the whole line available at www.benjosmpls.com! Boot lacing coming next month.

nelson left a comment on 4/25/2011 at 1:46 AM:

i want that cardigan :)

Carlos left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 12:40 AM:

Just like most everyone, I definately dig the contrasting laces. It’s the details that count. I the fit, the colors of his threads. He definately doesn’t like 10 feet tall!

Ian left a comment on 1/29/2011 at 9:18 PM:

Perfection! I love the red laces. They highlight the red brick soles. I think I’ll do the same with my own saddle shoes. Funny enough I’ve been looking out for bright cardigans for spring.

Sabir Peele left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 11:09 AM:

Great look on a very tall young man. I am definitely a fan of the yellow cardigan because it gives off a care free attitude.

www.MensStylePro.com

Dick left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 3:08 AM:

6’9”?! I’m 6’5” and trying to find things that fit is always an adventure. Especially since I’m only a 32” inseam. Anyway, this kid looks fantastic. Definitely fits in the Highland Park scenery behind him.

Rachel Elizabeth left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 8:19 PM:

What a man of style!

I adore him.

xo

Rachel

www.doodleandlucy.com

Tito left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 6:01 PM:

Fantastic!
    The fit is awesome!

The Natural Aristocrat left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 4:05 PM:

This look is straight out of the early 60s, aka Spring time Mad Men. I am tall and thin as well (6’6”), finding dress shirts and jackets that fit properly are incredibly difficult, nearly everything has to be tailored. Also, I dig how the red laces really highlight the red brick soles.

gabe left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 3:27 PM:

Love the colored laces. Just grabbed red/orange to put onto my brown suede chukkas and blue.white saddles respectively.

rSl left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 2:54 PM:

I agree on the great fi and I like the contrasting laces.
    Also, great use of bright colors throughout.
    I’d like to see a jacket in a color different from the pants, but that’s definitely nitpicking on my part.

belle left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 2:44 PM:

Yowza.  Looks like a tall drink of water to me.

Zane left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 1:39 PM:

Finding clothes that fit right is difficult when you’re tall and slim. I can attest to this, being 6’2” and 160 lbs. Basically nothing that’s long enough will also be the correct width so tailoring is always necessary. He looks good though.

john lexington left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 1:15 PM:

i like it!

bunny left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 12:34 PM:

just got lost in a mister roger’s reverie. it’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood… he looks handsome.

G&T left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 11:35 AM:

Meh, but, sure, why not?

Givemeindiana.tumblr.com left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 11:33 AM:

Tall and slender is hard to dress for.  I am only 6’4” but it can be difficult to find outfits that do not elongate your frame.  At 6’9” he looks tailored and grounded.

• Jacqueline Bouvier

Culture  

Image via Archive Photos/Morgan (enlarge)

Jackie learned to ride before she learned to speak.

Jan 21, 2011 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

A Tall Drink of Water left a comment on 3/11/2011 at 1:17 PM:

This photo gave me goosebumps. She is undeniably fashionable and an inspiration to women everywhere.

AEV left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 3:45 PM:

Great pic - again, a nice foil to those earlier in the week.

waspduckandivy left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 3:11 PM:

where’s buddy?!

bunny left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 2:07 PM:

classic. effie, are u psyched about the kennedy home movie collection on tlc jan. 30?

Dutch Uncle left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 1:34 PM:

Jackie never really learned to speak.

patgig left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 12:51 PM:

she looks about seven in the photo and dressed appropriately for riding, what a shame she couldn’t speak. At what age did she learn?

• East Coasting

Culture  

President John F. Kennedy aboard the US Coast Guard yacht Manitou off the coast of Maine. Casual Ivy style at its best.

Jan 20, 2011 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

Preplee left a comment on 1/25/2011 at 11:34 AM:

“It doesn’t matter what you do in life, just as long as you appear good.” Joseph Kennedy
    That quote resonates with me when I think of the Kennedy’s. It has never been so befitting when looked at “Jack.” Here in nautical apparel, he makes it look so easy, even though the details of navy socks, and Persol sunglasses could easily be overlooked. PrepLee (preplee.com) salutes “Mr. President” (a la Marlyin Monroe).

les kimmel left a comment on 1/24/2011 at 9:20 PM:

Thank you for this picture that so reminds me of my youth and great times in Hyannis back in the 60’s!A man of true style who made it look so easy!
    LBK

nick left a comment on 1/23/2011 at 8:51 AM:

@khordcutta
    it’s a cigar

khordkutta left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 8:02 PM:

I think the real question that needs to be asked here, unless it is an optical illusion, what is in his right hand?

rSl left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 3:08 PM:

total stud.

Andy M. left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 8:36 AM:

This is one of my favorite pictures of all time from one of my favorite series of pictures of all time.  Thanks for posting.

FEC - Any idea if it’s possible to get a print of this and if so where?

Kris left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 11:43 PM:

Love it! JFK was so effortless in his style.

Trailer Trad left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 8:01 PM:

That’s what THIS is all about.

AEV left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 7:38 PM:

Great pic….and a welcome contrast to yesterday.

toad left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 1:01 PM:

today is the 50th anniversary of his inauguration

Glenn Kimmell left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 12:57 PM:

Long live Camelot!

patgig left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 12:15 PM:

A man of his time, unlike elites of today Kennedy knew people from the working class, his Navy buddies. Love the cigar,the scolds today would not like it.

Matt P left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 11:54 AM:

One of my favorite style pictures of all time.

Tom Bosché left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 11:43 AM:

Great contrast from yesterday’s post, Frederick.  What happened to this look among students over the years?  Seems so simple, so versatile, so economical, although maybe so boring to some?  Would love to see this more often on campuses - the best!
    www.sophisticatedstudent.com

dan left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 11:07 AM:

A great shot.  The one with him and Lawford in this same serious is a favorite of mine as well.  Lawford loved it because it looked like President Kennedy was taking his advice!  Say what you want about their morals and character flaws, but history isn’t written by perfect men.  Yes, it would have been impossible for me like them to exist in today’s political climate.  However, what the Kennedy men leave us, besides their effortless style and the “romance” of the Camelot myth, is burning idealism for a better America that we all have inside of us; an America where we’re challenged as citizens to consistently strive towards ideas and goals that many view as unattainable.  Go America!  Thanks for the post, FEC.

Victoria Griffin left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 10:52 AM:

Ah, JFK so effortless.

chris W. left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 10:50 AM:

My favourite American president, and such style to boot!

Spiro Mandylor left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 10:37 AM:

Timeless! Love the socks matching the polo shirt underneath.
    www.ItsAllStyleToMe.com

Mariah Kunkel left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 10:20 AM:

J’adore.  So effortless it’s almost heartbreaking.  So apropos with his 50th anniversary this week.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/20/2011 at 9:47 AM:

This is a beautiful picture. What a style!

• Piper

Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX (enlarge)

Noteworthy: monogrammed nylon watch band, prescription lens Ray-Ban Wayfarers, pipe.

Jan 19, 2011 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

kevin left a comment on 1/22/2011 at 2:18 AM:

absolutely positively love this.

WestEggCream left a comment on 1/21/2011 at 8:06 AM:

Spot on.

Corn left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 10:05 PM:

I live in Dallas and want to know who this guy is and where he hangs out. I may not dig everything about the outfit, but he is far more interesting - at least ostensibly - than 99% of folks here.

If folks on here know where this character might hang out, do share. Much appreciated.

Henri left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 1:21 PM:

This is different, but I like it!

William left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 11:03 AM:

True, this guy is not totally or typically preppy. But who says he has to be? He has taken elements of prep and mixed them into his own style. Isn’t that what you are supposed to do with fashion anyway? I think it’s great that FEC is showing something a little different. It’s prep with just a little more “f*!K you” mixed in. Great post FEC!

Cary Randolph left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 10:39 AM:

Preppy, hipster, steampunk - regardless of how he will be pigeonholed, you have to admit this guy pulled together some very great-looking colors. Nice shot, FEC.

Matt Fox left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 9:41 AM:

I thinks it works for him. He looks like a real character.

chris W. left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 9:31 AM:

Minus the wayfarers and the brass knuckle pin, I quite like this look. I’m all for facial hair on men, and he looks very good in orange.

Gutsy left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 9:13 AM:

I’m a little worried about the khaki chino jacket in January, but overall I like his look .......and I’m wondering where I can find one of those brass knuckle pins.

John H. left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 8:29 AM:

This is Hipster Prep.

dghorbi left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 8:12 AM:

Thanks for the early morning posts.  In the sea of ill-fitting menswear commonly known as the rush hour subway commute, it is refreshing to be reminded that some men still take pride in their appearance, too many accessories or not.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 1/19/2011 at 8:10 AM:

This is the epitome of cool.

• Newer Posts Older Posts