• At Her Peak

Style  

Image via The Sartorialist

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week was tops. Exclusive shows (Tommy Hilfiger men’s), intimate presentations (Gant by Michael Bastian, Billy Reid) and meeting a handful of designers I very much respect and admire, a job yanked me out of the city...a day before Ralph Lauren’s show. I was anticipating attending; however, Scott Schuman made it though. And he snapped this lovely vision just outside of Skylight Soho. Prominent peak lapels paired with a collar of equal stature and equestrian print silk tie all set on a backdrop of sharp facial features. Is it love? Absolutely. And the fact that I’m lead to believe a camel Polo coat is draped over her shoulder bag keeps me hoping that cab takes just a little longer to hail.

Feb 21, 2011 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 2/25/2011 at 4:12 PM:

@Topp: Well, she appears to be hailing a cab, so maybe she wants to have access to cash or card when she gets to wherever she’s going. Having to dig around endlessly for a wallet inside a clutch inside a tote can get rather unwieldy!

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/22/2011 at 9:06 PM:

@Carry Randolph- Thank you for the tip! ;)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/22/2011 at 3:33 PM:

@Cary Randolph—Thank you for the tip dear!

Cary Randolph left a comment on 2/22/2011 at 12:41 PM:

FYI, her name is Lauren Remington Platt. She is a model and works in finance in NYC.

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 9:39 PM:

I fell in love with this woman when I first saw this picture.

Ryan left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 2:16 PM:

Loved this photo when Scott posted it.

fsp left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 12:24 PM:

absolutely gorgeous

K left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 12:21 PM:

The color scheme looks great and I love how the silk ties adds a touch of color. Very classic.

Topp left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 11:51 AM:

Umm . . . why doesn’t she just put the clutch in her tote when she’s traveling?

John left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 11:30 AM:

She is truly lovely. Some real care went into that ensemble.

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 11:15 AM:

Everything on todays post is good; especially the writing. You describe the scene with great care in the detail, and in such a way, that during the reading, the reader gets the sense of the authors heart palpatations, from that very moment. Would like to see more pics from fashion week

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 8:25 AM:

Brilliant! I like everything I see. The colors, they match so well and that croc clutch is a killer! Great picture Fred!

• In the Navy

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Feb 18, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/22/2011 at 12:08 AM:

On dock shoes, what was the original intent with the lacingnon the side?

Bijan left a comment on 2/20/2011 at 5:10 PM:

Great post, but we are almost reaching the Spring! Looking forward to the upcoming posts on spring gear and the fashionably sync!

Bijan.
    http://hypstercult.com/2011/02/20/bare-necessities-spring-11/

JP left a comment on 2/20/2011 at 4:45 AM:

Don’t know if people saw this, but there’s an interesting conversation going on about this photo here. The guy is slamming this look:

http://dieworkwear.tumblr.com/

chris W. left a comment on 2/19/2011 at 5:30 PM:

Love it! To hell with “Oh it’s cold, where’s his socks?” If he wants to wear a peacoat and go sockless, then all the power to him.

Henry left a comment on 2/19/2011 at 8:23 AM:

Great look, great photo. So many men wear ill-fitting chinos, this gent gets it spot on. On the other hand, I personally don’t like the way a shirt looks when buttoned up all the way without a tie. But hey we’re all different right? Imagine how boring it would be if everybody looked the same.

K left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 11:56 PM:

Peacoats are my one of my favorites. I love the white boatshoes as well. It gives a nautical theme.

CRE left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 6:29 PM:

thanks for the comments everyone.

@sonhouse - it was one of the warmer days this winter yet it was windy… wasn’t very cold at all. took it as an opportunity to shake things up a bit.

Synth left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 6:00 PM:

Very nice shoes. Overall very well done and put together.

Joy left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 5:49 PM:

Extremely dapper! Love the lighting.

sonhouse left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 4:40 PM:

Hard to go wrong with a peacoat (I think I got one opportunity to wear mine down here in NOLA).  The first thing that struck me was that, if it’s cold enough to wear the coat, shouldn’t it be cold enough to cover the ankles?  and is it weird to wear topsiders in the winter?  Maybe because there is a general nautical theme it’s ok…

• Michael Bastian at Home

Top Drawer | Miscellany  

If there was ever a modern blueprint for a preppy home with masculine overtones, it would likely be Michael Bastian’s downtown New York City apartment. He is one of my living style icons (Sid Mashburn being the other). I met Michael at his Gant by Michael Bastian show last week. A gentleman indeed—a humble one at that. And though we are only afforded a sliver of Bastian’s abode in March’s Esquire, creams and cool blues pair with warm mahogany, lamps and aged golden picture frames to create a charming living space. It is a modern take on classic prep style similar to that navy double breasted blazer.

Image via Ian Allen

Feb 17, 2011 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

Fabio Fernandez left a comment on 10/15/2011 at 10:19 PM:

Check out our exclusive interview with Designer Michael Bastian at ... http://www.metrovelvet.com/interviews/michael-bastian-the-man-behind-the-label/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 2:08 PM:

@Erik C. Nelson—Could you scan the pages and email them to me?  I would interested in posting them here on Unabashedly Prep.

Bernard left a comment on 2/21/2011 at 12:28 AM:

If I could even come close to making my apartment look like that…amazing shot

Erik C. Nelson left a comment on 2/20/2011 at 11:31 AM:

The photos of Bastian’s apt. are in the Sept. 2008 issue of, the now defunct, Domino mag.  I still have the issue and look back at it for design inspiration, his living room windows are amazing.

khordkutta left a comment on 2/20/2011 at 12:02 AM:

Good read in Esquire, with some other photos, Thought it was cool of him to say that he couldnt afford his own clothes, so he had to make a change.

Christian Arthur Bourasseau left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 8:02 PM:

Great style. Beautiful apartment.

Elmo left a comment on 2/18/2011 at 1:22 AM:

I like those chairs.

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 10:09 PM:

More pictures of Michael Bastian’s apartment—http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/michael-bastians-apartment-photos/ ... http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/michael-bastians-apartment-then-now/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 7:28 PM:

@Kionon—Yes, double breasted. That’s the twist, the modern take.

K left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 7:27 PM:

I agree with Joy. I would love to see the whole apartment as well. I’m sure it’s beautiful.

Kionon left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 7:10 PM:

Double breasted?

Ignorance arbitrage left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 6:04 PM:

His apartment was featured in Domino a few years back—here are more shots:
    http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/michael-bastians-apartment-photos/

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 3:32 PM:

Isn’t he Canadian?

Dave left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 2:45 PM:

What a great outfit, he is such a genius!

Carlos left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 2:31 PM:

Wow. Such a great taste, not surprised. He’s one of the best designers of America, in my opinion. Are there any other pictures?

The Boss left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 2:30 PM:

I love how he can take a familiar look and turn it upside down. This look is one example.

Joy left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 2:01 PM:

I think we all need to see the full apartment. Everything is so tastefully classy.

ofstrangersensibilities.blogspot.com

M.D.Cooley left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 1:34 PM:

Love the decor and his outfit, he reminds me of a little kid sitting on the mantel like that haha.

• (Black) Watch Your Back

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: black watch plaid blazer (with gold buttons), penny saddle moccasin, flat fold pocket square.

Feb 16, 2011 | Permalink (25) View/Leave Comments

Neef C left a comment on 2/22/2011 at 11:41 PM:

That is an awesome blazer, i love the coloration of the fit as well.

BKH left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 9:13 AM:

Thank you for the comments. It was a windy day in the city, hence the hair

Jay C. left a comment on 2/17/2011 at 12:08 AM:

love the combination! love the hair!  keep up the great work

Aggie K left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 11:10 PM:

This is a great outfit.  I love tartans.  Are you sure it isn’t just the wind blowing his hair around?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:23 PM:

@Joey Dee—Shot with digital, no flash, 50mm lens.

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:19 PM:

Fred, what is the film, flash, lens combo here? Thanks.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 7:19 PM:

@DJY—The black watch blazer is by Band of Outsiders.

@Dan—This gentleman is wearing corduroy trousers.

AdamsSutherland left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 1:35 PM:

Love black watch blazers.  Nice shot, FEC.

DJY left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 1:32 PM:

does anyone know where the blazer is from?

khordkutta left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 11:25 AM:

Dude is on point, glasses to soles.

Rauslton left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 10:35 AM:

These dressings superbly crafted. The contrasting colors go rather nicely together. Well Done

Glenn left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 10:27 AM:

Well first time I’ve seen an outfit that clothes fit the model in a normal fashion, not the current incredible shrinking look. Black Watch jacket seems more of a jacket you’d wear to a Christmas party.

chris W. left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 10:16 AM:

Your outfit posts keep getting better and better. I am really digging the hair style and the loosely clutched coat.

Dan left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 10:03 AM:

edgy.  awesome.  what a tough look! I really like the trousers…they look like cords? great shot FEC!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:38 AM:

It’s a nice picture. I like the tie, shirt, loafers and jacket. The hair is a bit crazy for me though.

Glenn left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:23 AM:

Love this, I want a black watch jacket!

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:18 AM:

This guys vibrance just glares at you off the screen. Very good, hes put together well, even withou tailoring. The hair and glasses say moz. This guy was probably a punk rock kid in a previous life.

K left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 9:08 AM:

I like the mix of colors, but I don’t like how the blazer fits him. I do like his hair styled though! It adds some flair.

scarlet left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 8:45 AM:

Something about the fit of the jacket around the waist and the bagginess of the upper thigh of his trousers is throwing me off. Looks like he found those clothes in a second hand store—and not that there’s anything wrong with that, you can find some great stuff second hand. It just seems to me, in my opinion, that he needs to get his pieces altered.

I must say, though, that this man has a fantastic eye for color.  Good for him! :)

Tito left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 8:40 AM:

Love this Style!

AEV left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 8:27 AM:

I love the blazer - from the fit to the fabric…really nice.

Andy M. left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 8:16 AM:

Just awesome.  This gives me incentive to pull out my little-worn black watch trousers while it’s still cold enough to do so.

Angel left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 8:06 AM:

@J.Lee, I don’t know this Gent personally, but I’m guessing the big hair is just his thing, everyone has to have a trademark ya know.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

J. Lee left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 7:41 AM:

I like the outfit, I have a similiar jacket, I wear it exclusively during christmas time, I might have to reconsider that. The hair… is a little… “Bombastic!”
    Regards,

JP                 http://preplee.com

Angel left a comment on 2/16/2011 at 7:32 AM:

This is what Bello the Clown from Ringling Bros. Circus would look like if he cleaned up his “act” and stopped “clowning around.”  (Not picking fun, hes got the big hair thing going on like Bello, and Bello is badAss) seriously, very cool, very edgy, great mix of colors. well done.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

• Varsity

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: varsity jacket, low profile chucks, vintage Wayfarers, cuffed khaki.

Feb 15, 2011 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Carlos left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 6:40 PM:

Amazing.

Mark left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 5:43 PM:

I like this look, though I would prefer it without the ‘on trend’ varsity jacket.

I don’t have a problem with wearing college stripe scarves - I bought one from J. Press in the Harvard colours as a souvenir and I always get compliments on it. Given that I live in the UK though, it doesn’t have the same connotations to most people, which probably makes it somewhat more acceptable. It definitely beats wearing one of those hoodies with the name of a place you’ve visited on though - I really hate seeing that ‘look’.

chris W. left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 4:22 PM:

If this was grayscale with some lens flare/scratches, it’d look smack out of the 1950’s! I like it, minus the white shoes (But that’s a personal taste going on, not saying it’s bad!).

CHK left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 1:56 PM:

This look - letterman jacket and oversized scarf + herringbone or corduroy jacket = golden.

Currently, seems a bit forced.

J. Lee left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 11:30 AM:

Great outfit, it looks like it could be a student from the 1950’s… cool stuff. Check out my Style Pic at http://preplee.com/2011/02/14/style-pic-j-lee/

Cheers,

J. Lee

CC left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 11:05 AM:

Love the shirt, tie, cardigan ensemble.

G.M. left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 10:45 AM:

The inclusion of the white chucks is the perfect sartorial touch to an otherwise identifiably thematic look.  I would, however, lose the scarf.  But great look.

The Real Thing left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 10:41 AM:

Great WASP model!

Robyn left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 9:11 AM:

hot

Tito left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 9:08 AM:

I love this look minus the low profile Chuck’s.
    A pair of tan Brogues would’ve been the match!

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/15/2011 at 8:06 AM:

Mmmm. This is good.

• Newer Posts Older Posts