• White Socks

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Mar 17, 2011 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Andrey left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 2:42 PM:

This guy has a great look. The best thing about it is that he wears this outfit as is and doesn’t have to worry about trivial things like how many buttons are buttoned/unbuttoned, what color his socks are, or how much of his cuff shows. He’s rockin’ it!

Joey Dee left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 6:21 PM:

Not a fan of the socks, but a great look for weekending

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 4:50 PM:

Something about him reminds me of the pictures FEC took of the Cape Cod wedding guests last year. Like that cardigan—looks as if he inherited it from Dad. He seems very comfortable with himself, though, which counts for a lot.

chris W. left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 11:13 AM:

I think the best part of this outfit is the grin! Many fashion posts are so serious, like smiling will somehow deplete the status of the outfit. He looks casual, comfortable and approachable.

AEV left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 10:18 AM:

Simple, honest look. Nice. All he needs is a faux varsity jacket and he’d be ready for anything….

dan left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 8:58 AM:

So this gentleman isn’t wardrobed, which is great to hear.  I’m happy to see a young guy working a bit of “of the minute” style into some classic, wardrobe essential items.  He’s not trying to look all GQ, which I think is great and appears to be staying pretty true to himself.  He may read some mens magazines or blogs, as is evidenced by his knowledge that this kind of look is “in” but isn’t trying too hard.  He doesn’t look uncomfortable or over styled.  That’s my favorite thing about this picture.  So many street blogs push over-stylized and editorialized junk, and this dude is just clearly being himself. Oh and bonus points for a (possibly post) collegiate fantastic frat swoop…

dan left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 8:24 AM:

FEC, is this guy wardrobed or are those his own items?  That really affects my comments on this picture…

Ariel... left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 8:18 AM:

I actually enjoy the simplicity of this outfit and the simple fact that he was more focused on color and casualty than anything else. I’m convinced those pennys match with every color in the book!
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Brian left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 8:07 AM:

I’m a fan of this look.  It’s nice to see an outfit that looks like it is actually functional instead of hyper-tailored and affected.  The chinos are GTH, but subtly-so, with a good fit and proper length, the beefroll pennies are classic and the cardigan fits like a cardigan should.  The wayfarers and Filson bag are a nice touch.  If it were me, I would’ve shaved, worn an OCBD and lost the coffee cup but that’s splitting hairs.  Ironically, the white socks, while not terrible, would’ve been a bit more authentic had they been off-white, wool Wigwam 625s.

JMH left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 7:44 AM:

This is great.  It is something I could see myself going to work in, it isn’t preposterous or trying too hard.  It is casual without being sloppy.  Great stuff FEC.

John H. left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 6:33 AM:

@dexter, Looks like

http://www.filson.com/products/original-briefcase.70256.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/briefcases&fmetaProduct=1019

gregory tenenbaum left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 5:50 AM:

Those loafers sure look comfortable.

dexter left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 12:36 AM:

Yes! GTH chinos in crazy colors or in critter print are definitely my favourite part of the prep style and the best place to inject a sense of fun into an outfit in my opinion. What bag is that? Have been looking for something to upgrade to from my LL Bean Rucksack but have been mainly focused on briefcases such as the Battenkill from Orvis.

• Unabashedly Prep Dress Code Contest

Miscellany  

Dress Code was born out of a desire to stir up a little imagination in prepsters while simultaneously serving as an outlet for my photography. Since Unabashedly Prep’s launch in 2009, many of you have expressed interest in submitting your own images for Dress Code. With that being said, I am happy to announce that you can now do just that.

Ralph Lauren Fragrances and I are proud to present an Unabashedly Prep Dress Code Contest where four winners will be provided a one year supply of Big Pony fragrance ($200 value). Simply visit the banner at the bottom of your browser window to enter. I am excited to see what you all come up with. All the best.

Mar 16, 2011 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Jack Rogers Flagship Grand Opening

Miscellany  

New York sporadically greets its denizens with a bone chilling gloom this time of year. Last night was no exception as I ducked into the grand opening of the first Jack Rogers Flagship on New York’s Upper East Side (1198 Madison Ave). I was greeted with a gratuitous hug from design director Steven Stolman immediately after he paraded around the store in my eyebobs. The man is a character—the iconic Jack Rogers guy.

For more than 50 years, Jack Rogers has cultivated a legacy that embodies an effortless, chic, All-American style. Born on the streets of Capri, the Navajo sandal immigrated to America courtesy of style icon and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy. Kennedy favored it’s elegant ease as a relief from the formalities that her official life demanded.

The Navajo sandal became an immediate hit in 1961. First made by small, independent cobblers in and around Palm Beach, the iconic sandal is still made by hand in Florida. Not only does the flagship carry their full line of footwear, womenswear, accessories, girls’ clothing and footwear but men’s ties and pocket squares in go-to-hell shades. Madison Avenue just got a little sunnier.

Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy walks past a group of onlookers March 31, 1961 as she leaves St. Edwards Catholic Church in Palm Beach, FL after attending Good Friday services. The first family was in Palm Beach spending their Easter holidays. Image via the Associated Press

Mar 15, 2011 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

saprof left a comment on 3/20/2011 at 1:15 PM:

While on holiday this upcoming June, I will be making a short stop at Capri. I will be glad to spend some time conducting research into the origin of the Navajo sandal while viewing the feet (and other parts) of beautiful women.  Will make full report in July. 

Cheers,

SAProf

JAM left a comment on 3/18/2011 at 1:44 PM:

This is so exciting! Steve is amazing and I am so happy for the whole Jack Rogers crew that their dream finally became a reality! Everyone should stock up on their Jacks for the spring!

• Jukebox

Dress Code  

Photographed by Jory Cordy in Los Angeles, CA (enlarge)

Noteworthy: Tretorn canvas sneakers.

Mar 14, 2011 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

james left a comment on 7/9/2011 at 12:23 PM:

what Jeans are those exactly

Ariel... left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 8:21 AM:

This is such a perfectly inspiring look, although some embroidery on his Varsity Jacket would only further enhance this outfit even more…
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Katherine left a comment on 3/18/2011 at 12:48 PM:

I like the look! I think it’s very Ivy. And I love the photo! The amount of work that goes into the photos on this blog really shows with the high quality end product. You’re doing a great job Fred!

I for one would also like to see what AEV’s ground for all this criticism is..

Xanax left a comment on 3/18/2011 at 12:42 AM:

I’d take this look anyday over the majority of male Americans wearing sweats, hoodies, pajamas, baggy jeans sagged so low and those atrocious Ed Hardy type “rebel tattoo” printed t-shirts I see on a daily f^cking basis.

Russell Street left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 5:37 PM:

I think this sweet boy looks just fabuloussssssssss!

sonhouse left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 3:48 PM:

“West coast prep.’  A term I’ve never heard.  People certainly understand and accept traditional notions of prep.  And even southern prep.  But fec may be pioneering something here.  Great pants, great shoes. 

Onward and upward, FEC!

Richard Ross left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 10:46 AM:

Bro, those shoes are rockin’. I have been looking for some sneakers and will be checking those out.

...just checked them out, no 14s. Bummer.

The length of your jeans is perfect. You certainly are dressing for the weather and hinting at spring with that pop of green.

Bernard left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 9:28 AM:

love the jacket! the jeans look like RUGBY, if they are I have the same pair! Awesome Fred

The Boss left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 9:14 AM:

I dig the relaxed vibe of this photo—seems less posed and more unexpected.

Fred—Are you still planning on doing a feature that showcasing your own pad?

Cheers,
    TB

Angel left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 7:53 AM:

Very cool and classic Ivy Prep, is that a generic varsity jacket or is it from a school? Very fun outfit, love the break on the jeans as well.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

Chris left a comment on 3/17/2011 at 2:38 AM:

Great look—I love the varsity jacket! The fit is great—is this off the rack or a vintage & tailored find?

Very “fourth wall” seeing you in front of my building at Prince and Mulberry. A good place for your photos, I think!

• Blue Devils in Madras

Culture  

Image via Duke University Archives

Duke may not be the first university to come to mind when you think “prep”, but the Durham private school certainly represents a bolder southern variation. These three students usher in a 1980s spring with their light-hearted display of madras. Though you can still get your hands on plaid jackets like these, opt for the eccentric patchwork madras sport coat that works just as well with navy chinos or khakis.

Mar 11, 2011 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

amg left a comment on 3/23/2011 at 10:25 PM:

Interesting post!  I have followed the preppy movement since the 1980’s and its slow fade to the background in the succeeding decades.  I did go to Duke in Durham to study law in 2000.  What I did not expect was the existence of a look, noted in the post as a “southern variation” of preppy. I would not necessarily call it “bolder” and neither would I call it “ivy”, it is more like Southern Traditional Americana (brass buttoned blazers, khakis, loafers, regimental ties, etc.).  I guess it’s the Ben Silver look.  This look can likewise be found in UNC-Chapel Hill where one of the purveyors of this look, Alexander Julian, still keeps shop.

http://nivaldodelima.com/ left a comment on 3/21/2011 at 2:59 AM:

Love the madras!!

GJA left a comment on 3/16/2011 at 2:51 PM:

Reminds me of Rollins College in late winter

john lexington left a comment on 3/16/2011 at 10:51 AM:

southern ivy, duke, emory, , unc, vandy

karen left a comment on 3/15/2011 at 7:17 PM:

My grandfather went to Duke University. I was accepted to Davidson College.

K left a comment on 3/15/2011 at 10:09 AM:

Love the blazers and I agree with @Angel, the fit is great! A lot of people in college cannot dress themselves, nor find the right cuts.

Andrew left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 10:34 PM:

At first glance I thought it was a modern day photo. Shows you how little change there’s been in collegiate preppy style.

RWF left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 8:18 PM:

Whitney you are right UNC also has a tradition for southern prep and the gentleman in the middle is actually a UNC student while the other two are Duke students and the uncles of one of my best friends. The photo comes from my friend’s album and was first posted on http://pleasurablerevelation.tumblr.com/

Tom left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 2:57 PM:

I still have one of those in the back of my closet.  Sadly (but much to my wife’s delight), the college-age 36 no longer fits my fatherly 42 frame.

preppywithatwist left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 12:55 PM:

Glad to see my alma mater finally getting the style accolades it deserves. We’re quite the dapper bunch.

Angel left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 12:20 PM:

Whats impressive about this photo is that the Gents in this photo all have very well fitting clothing, hard to find student aged men who know how to buy proper fitting attire. Very cool.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

Chenners left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 11:24 AM:

Great find, Fred.

Whitney left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 9:55 AM:

I really think you should head 8 miles down the road and take a look at UNC… the less devilish (but still quite preppy) rival. Go Heels!

http://joyisstyle.blogspot.com

Robert left a comment on 3/14/2011 at 4:09 AM:

Duke University, birthplace of the Campus Sartorialist.
    http://www.campussartorialist.com/

• Newer Posts Older Posts