• Benchmade Tassel Loafers

Top Drawer | Prep Essentials  

If you’ve ever met me, you wouldn’t take me for a guy who spends $800 on shoes. And you'd be right.  I drive a 25 year-old Bimmer, wear a $35 watch, and avoid ATM fees like synthetic fabrics.  Frugal?  You could say that.

There is this pomp and circumstance about a benchmade tassel loafer that distinctly says, "I care."  Perhaps it's the ornamented aura they induce when you slip them on; or the Goodyear-welted construction and double leather sole; or the full calfskin lining for comfort and longevity (because let’s face it, I’ll rarely be wearing socks).  Maybe it's the fact that they're crafted with Chicago's Horween cordovan (arguably the best cordovan in the world today); or that they're kept on a shoe form far longer than today’s standard; or it could easily be the over 200 separate operations spanning eight weeks.

Though the tassel silhouette’s emergence in the 1950s gave way to gradual acceptance by the East-coast prep culture, Crockett & Jones has been crafting shoes in Northampton since 1879. Now in its fifth generation, it remains a family business that also makes shoes, like these, for the likes of Ralph Lauren. These loafers just feel well made. Their grade is a thing of beauty. I'll typically walk a mile in another man's shoes in lieu of buying new; however, I fell in with these at a deal I just couldn’t walk away from.

May 31, 2011 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

Jonas left a comment on 1/27/2013 at 5:12 PM:

What is the 35$ watch you mention?

Christopher Campbell left a comment on 6/23/2011 at 1:33 PM:

Which White Buck Shoes do you recommend?
    Christopher

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 11:21 AM:

@BJP - Seconds, irregulars, and sales from ShoeMart.com.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 9:46 AM:

@DAM—Alan Flusser once told me to wear socks...and though that didn’t stick, him tipping me off to splaying my tassels did.  I can’t wear them with the same conformity that those lawyers do, now can I? ;)

@AEV—Thanks for sharing that NYT piece below.  That’s readership added value and beneficial too all for a laugh as well as a re-visitation to history.

DAM left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 9:20 AM:

Fred - what happened to your tassels? They look like the blown out end of a sawed off shot gun?

AEV left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 9:05 AM:

Great shoes Fred - glad to hear you picked them up at a discount as I never understood why some folks so willingly pay RL 30% more than they have to for items made by others and sold for less under the original label(s)...

The below made me smile…mostly because of the utter hypocrisy…:

The New York Times
    The Politicization of Tasseled Loafers
    By NEIL A. LEWIS
    November 03, 1993

To say “tasseled loafer” in Washington is not just to describe a simple shoe, but to utter a political phrase, often part of an epithet.

It is frequently connected to the word “lawyers,” as in those tasseled-loafered lawyers!, although no law degree is required to wear them. And despite its earlier image as the shoe of the postgraduate preppy, it is today a kind of everyman’s shoe, available in all price ranges.

Nonetheless, the shoes have been deployed in recent years as metaphorical weapons in the nation’s political wars.

When George Bush wanted to hurl a wounding barb during the last Presidential campaign, he complained that Bill Clinton was supported by “every lawyer that ever wore a tasseled loafer.”

Mr. Bush may have had reason to believe the charge potent as he had himself once been the target of a tasseled-loafer insult. When he ran for President in 1980, he complained that Ronald Reagan had bested him in a debate in New Hampshire by using unfair tactics. One of Mr. Reagan’s aides retorted in a widely disseminated remark that those with Mr. Bush’s private-school pedigree were generic sore losers. “Those tasseled-loafer guys always cry foul when they lose,” the aide said.

BJP left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 7:53 AM:

@Laguna Beach Fogey Where are you scoring cheap Aldens?

Joy left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 2:29 AM:

I go to school there and haven’t even heard of it. What a shame and what have I been missing out on! Great rec and will try to seek it out.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 6:11 PM:

@NMR—Did you not read the entire piece? I did not pick these up at retail.

@GLG—At the moment I don’t care to pass down a watch to my sons…because it honestly wouldn’t survive me more than likely.  Watches, for the most part, are precious and dainty…I tend to scratch the crystal often.  And there’s just something unpretentious about a Timex Easy Reader.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 5:44 PM:

Excellent!!!

As you know, FEC, tassel loafers are probably my favourite shoe, up there with brogues.

A classic preppy shoe of California origins, tassel loafers tend to incite either scorn or fierce love.

I’ve been wearing C&J for years, but am just as happy wearing cheap Alden and A&E tassel loafers.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

Tad Allagash left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 5:11 PM:

Great shoes.  Those are some serious frat wings on the tassels, especially for a new pair.

NMR left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 5:04 PM:

$800?  You didn’t pick them up during the sale?

Kelly left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 4:57 PM:

@F.E.C Are you familiar with the film Love Story? It has some of the best preppy wardrobe on film everrrrr. thought you might enjoy.

check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GetvJltxPHI

PDXPrep left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 4:27 PM:

Great looking shoes. I just recently purchased my first pair of Crockett & Jones (British Field Boots) while in Hong Kong for Chinese New Year (Check out Tassel’s if you ever make it over http://www.tassels.com.hk/en/index.php). I am now in search of a deal for my second pair.

Great site, been reading for a year and a half now.

GLG left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 4:03 PM:

@F.E.C.  I also wear a watch that cost under $100 from Orvis - not a “Walmart watch” by any means, but also not a priceless instrument.  Most men who purchase expensive watches look forward to giving them to their children one day - an old watch makes a better gift than an old pair of shoes.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 1:39 PM:

Beautiful loafers.

The Boss left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 1:38 PM:

Crockett & Jones make exceptional footwear. Great purchase!

BJP left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 1:36 PM:

Absolutely perfect.

alessandra nitti left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 1:13 PM:

this blog is incredible!
    http://wonderfashionista.blogspot.com/

Plain T-Shirt (Jace Lumley) left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 12:25 PM:

Ironic, first time I saw a pair of these was 10 minutes earlier walking around downtown Pittsburgh, I thought “those are very nice shoes”, and here they are to reassure my decision.

• Decoration Day

Culture  

Memorial Day, formerly knows as Decoration Day, is not only observed in remembrance of Americans who’ve lost their lives in wars but unofficially marks the beginning of summer. To my friends on Nantucket for Figawi, I’m looking forward to making it out next year. To everyone else, relish the remainder of your weekend.

Image via Nick Onken

May 30, 2011 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 4:14 PM:

Great photo. God bless those in service, and may they all come home in health soon.

Scott Alexander left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 12:37 AM:

I truly enjoy your blog. Your article on Of Rogues and Gents is excellent.

Stu Hodgkiss left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 3:07 PM:

Hope you have an enjoyable Memorial Day, enjoy the summer…

• Goldens

Prep Essentials  

"Having the right pet is as important as having the right polo shirt...it is allowed to contradict in its behavior every established rule and value of the prep household."

—Lisa Birnbach, The Official Preppy Handbook

Wonderfully good-natured, golden retrievers can always be praised for bringing the neighbor's newspapers to the breakfast table undamaged and scolded for digging huge holes in the rose garden.

May 27, 2011 | Permalink (25) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 9/28/2013 at 4:56 PM:

Goldens are the best.  Had one growing up.  I used to ride him like a horse around the yard.  He was a natural duck dog too.  Took to birding without a bit of training.  I’ll get another one day.  Can’t go wrong with any retriever.

Ann left a comment on 11/23/2011 at 8:40 AM:

Just discovered your blog, so fun! I’ve noticed there is no standard dog, or even pet for the prep set. Some people like wolfhounds, mastiffs, afghans, poodles, great danes, some (like us because a friend at the polo club introduced us to how docile they are) like greyhounds, german shepherds, huskies (an old horse show friend introduced us to how friendly they are), jack russels, king charles, pugs, corgies or labs, etc. It is like horses, some people like TBs and some people like WBs and some prefer cobs, to each their own! And one old prep friend loves birds… we love our critters in all shapes, sizes and kinds! One old family friend kept 20 horses and 8 dogs and a chinchilla, well because she could! The dogs had their own caretaker and most of them were mutts she found on the streets throughout her travels and brought home…

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 6/14/2011 at 1:39 AM:

Awwwwwww…. http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

DSB left a comment on 6/6/2011 at 10:11 PM:

Golden Retrievers are nice but if you’re looking for a hypo-allergenic non-shedding dog then purchase a Goldendoodle. Great dogs. I have one and he is so sweet and well behaved.

tammy left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 8:30 PM:

I am the proud “mother” of a wonderful Golden Retriever.  He is smarter, kinder, and more polite than a lot of people.

Justin K. left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 1:37 PM:

My in-laws have two Goldes from when my wife was still in school.  One would bring you a towel when you walked in the door while the other would show you the toy he wasn’t going to let you have.  Our Rhodesian loves to chase them while they’re chasing a ball.

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 11:13 AM:

Phew, ok.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love Goldens, Labs and all the preppy dog breeds but there is just something more prep. about rescuing a dog these days.  Maybe someday it would be nice to see the young preps adopting this cause.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 11:05 AM:

@OldGeorgetowner—I don’t believe anyone here has indicated they are against adopting a recuse golden or lab.

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 11:00 AM:

I’m so confused.  ‘80’s prep advice about dogs still holds true yet ‘80’s prep advice on how to dress is old and frumpy.  I thought some might choose adopting a rescue golden or a rescue lab.

trailer trad left a comment on 5/29/2011 at 6:14 PM:

Growing up, I had a Golden named Alex. He was snarky, ill-tempered and cowardly. KIDDING! He was great.

Suzy left a comment on 5/29/2011 at 4:25 PM:

Hiya im from the uk and been following your blog for a while now, i think its awesome and it gives me inspiration. I have one small request and was wondering if you would please consider, i have recently had a baby boy hes 4 months old. I love the preppy style and im obsessed with get him preppy outfits, i definately would love him to dress and cant wait to buy him a a rugby herringbone jacket! However i do need inspiration and i was wondering have you considered doing a preppy kids style section? Would be awesome if you could do something like that!

Aldana left a comment on 5/29/2011 at 2:59 PM:

That’s a beautiful dog (the one i want to get)... and the boots look so cute.  :)

SKIP left a comment on 5/28/2011 at 10:02 AM:

If only most people had the great disposition that Goldens have. They always make me smile. Great pic.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 5/28/2011 at 9:20 AM:

Excellent!

My tortoise, Digby, was also good-natured, though he could be a bit annoyingly selfish at times.

He could always be counted on to hog the chaise lounge catching the summer rays.

I scolded him when he ate his lettuce and veggies too fast.

NPHAF left a comment on 5/28/2011 at 5:13 AM:

Dog looks great, too bad I’m allergic.

G.S.O left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 9:56 PM:

Gun dogs are the best.
    I have a Hungarian Visla

Also tiny handbag-dogs are not prep.

Natalie J. left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 9:44 PM:

What a beautiful dog! I love the location of the white on the face - precious.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 7:06 PM:

Epic!

Andrea left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 6:21 PM:

I LOVE this picture / post. Thank you for putting this up. . .  can’t get enough of goldens.

Tyler P. left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 6:15 PM:

I have a golden. She’s really fat and has a thyroid problem, but I still love her.

DJ Joe Dubb left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 5:47 PM:

Having one of these beautiful dogs is a MAJOR part of why I’m excited to leave apartment life for home ownership!

NWR left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 5:08 PM:

Somewhat similar to an article in the latest GQ.

KGC left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 4:55 PM:

I am a sucker for dogs. Love them.

Holt left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 4:00 PM:

I must say, that is a beautiful golden! Someone is a lucky owner. :)

Campbell left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 3:50 PM:

Four Goldens later, I’m still smitten.

• Wardrobe II

Dress Code  

The Wardrobe series, a new feature in Dress Code where I share my wardrobe by way of looks I actually wear, continues with a summer uniform reserved for garden parties, church, and any other afternoon gathering requiring a coat and tie.

1. Rugby navy silk knit tie
    2. Rugby linen/silk/wool herringbone jacket
    3. Smathers & Branson surcingle needlepoint belt (monogrammed)
    4. Brooks Brothers university stripe oxford cloth button down shirt
    5. Eyebobs tortoise shell eyeglasses

Though originally readers, I liked them so much I shoved prescription lenses into them. The tort shell frames channel an exaggerated P3 silhouette. A bit of a signature now for me.

6. Tommy Hilfiger white bucks

Complete with red brick sole and buck suede uppers, these summer staples boast a chambray foot-bed—a treat when wearing barefoot. I really don’t care to clean mine before each season. When it comes to (dirty) white bucks, the dirtier the better.

7. Timex Easy Reader watch w/J.Crew nylon strap
    8. J.McLaughlin gingham pocket square

Hand-rolled edges with contrast stitching. It’s that attention to detail I appreciate in J.McLaughlin’s accessories.

9. Rugby chinos in go-to-hell hue

May 26, 2011 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

aaron left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 6:13 PM:

can i get a shopping spree ?

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 6/14/2011 at 1:40 AM:

Those chinos look amaz…... http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 10:44 AM:

@Office of Johnston—I have seen it before…although I rarely see a realistic representation of what people would take with them if their house were truly on fire.

Office of Johnston left a comment on 6/1/2011 at 10:26 AM:

Have you seen The Burning House blog yet? I love when objects and clothing are arranged so nicely like this.

sam left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 11:57 AM:

How is the fit on those pants? I’ve been tempted to pick up a pair, but as a pretty slim guy, I worry they might be too baggy and need a significant trip to the tailor.

trip left a comment on 5/31/2011 at 11:54 AM:

I’m digging that belt. It’s enough to make me consider getting one…

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 12:21 PM:

Of course you dress for church, glad to know that you posted that. The way people put themselves together in cargo shorts tees and flip flops, is appallngly disrespectful, imho, also the way people dress for court ... How did it ever boil down to this ?

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 12:15 PM:

I need those green pants !

ZPM left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 10:15 AM:

I just picked up the green Rugby go-to-hell pants yesterday. They have such a great fit I won’t even have to take them to the tailor.

Andrew left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 5:07 PM:

Nice belt, but I’m not sure it’s monogrammed (which means your last initial is front & center, with your first and second flanking). Yours looks initialed, not monogrammed. Great belt anyway.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 4:41 PM:

@Patrick—Soft styling in this manner has been used by many companies as well as individuals.  “The Burning House” is not original in the way it is photographed, but in its idea.  The same might be said for Wardrobe.

Patrick left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 4:32 PM:

Are you copying this ‘photo style’ from The Burning House?

Admiral Ralston left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 3:50 PM:

HAHA literally was wearing this EXACT same fit yesterday.  them unabashedlyprep boiz jackin my swag again

The Untidy Pilgrim left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 3:07 PM:

Good look, FEC!

AEV left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 11:42 AM:

....killer belt.

Raphael Potts left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 2:17 AM:

cool! but please post pictures of people!!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 12:21 AM:

Love the jacket and the belt!

Richard Ross left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:09 PM:

I’m wearing those pants right now.

Great bucks. Great segment.

Doc left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 7:46 PM:

Everyday attire for me, man! Great look!

• Francesca Joy Palm Beach

Style  

There is a certain cachet about Palm Beach.  It’s not just another preppy beach town.  It’s the prep resort cradle of life.  After all, “Lillys” were birthed here some 50 years ago and the island hasn’t slowed fostering fashion designers since.

Eighteen months ago, island decorator Carolyn Roy joined Connecticut based artist Elise Francesca to launch Francesca Joy Palm Beach, a collection of colorful hand-painted tote bags, chemises, pillows, and table linens.  The spontaneous and colorful collection is inspired by Francesca’s fine art paintings and Roy’s interior design work.  Their Palm Beach base certainly informs the lush, coastal finish in the colors and designs.  Each piece is individually hand-painted and made in the U.S.A.

Francesca created this custom tote using Unabashedly Prep as her muse.  More importantly, she designed it for one you ladies to shoulder this summer. Jot down the three must-haves you'll be toting in it and this bag could be yours Monday May 30th.

Congratulations to Laura K for winning the Francesca Joy Palm Beach tote.

May 25, 2011 | Permalink (87) View/Leave Comments

Aimee left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 11:28 PM:

My 3 must haves:
    Chapstick
    Aviators
    A good book!

Eve left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 10:15 PM:

- My fake Ray Ban prescription glasses I got for cheaps in China
    - My beautiful Smith College portfolio to be used for Student Government plans
    - An informative book ..Right now it’s 31 Days about the beginnings of the Ford administration!

I’ve been looking for a great tote bag!

blakeq left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 8:22 PM:

my must haves are my vintage turquoise necklace, my oversized tees and my neon shorts! this tote would be perfect to compliment my summer look :)

taylor left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 8:20 PM:

my three must haves are an oversized watch, cuffed pants, and oxford shirts!! any season, always appropriate. Though, for the summer i have been searching for a bright, cheery, preppy tote bag- this beaut is PERFECT.

Tracy left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 3:43 PM:

Perfect for toting my ipad, a teething ring, and lip gloss! :)

Stephanie left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 2:29 PM:

1. Sperrys - dad won’t let me on the boat without them
    2. A Kurt Vonnegut novel - currently reading Cat’s Cradle
    3. A big beach towel

A.Ashley left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 2:23 PM:

Evian.  Aviators.  My favorite summer read, Catcher in the Rye.

Van left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 2:07 PM:

Entering for the lady-friend:
    -kindle
    -SPF 70
    -oranchiata

Kate left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:53 PM:

I always carry my planner, my kindle and a pair of sunglasses!

Katherine left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:40 PM:

moleskine, panama hat, Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, part two of a trilogy on TR

Amy left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:37 PM:

1. My Monogrammed wide brimmed hat
    2. My nook
    3. Lilly beach towel

Kendra left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:29 PM:

hmm.
    1. Ray Ban Wayfarers with my orange and blue Delta Days seersucker croakies (wahoowa!)
    2. Olympus FE camera (never know when you’ll need to take a snapshot)
    3. The Hours- Michael Cunningham… it’s a personal favorite that I almost always have with me!

Aubrey left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:22 PM:

1. Pencil & paper.  I love lists!
    2. My Diana.  She needs to be shot.
    3. A big floppy hat. 

Ashley left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 1:17 PM:

I will be using this great bag to carry my ray ban wayfers, lipgloss(lots) and iPad.

madeline left a comment on 5/30/2011 at 8:19 AM:

1) a towel- gotta love trips to the beach.
    2) iHome - listening to music on the beach never gets old.
    3) a big floppy hat - must not get burnt and keep that perfect sunkissed skin!

Heather left a comment on 5/29/2011 at 9:49 AM:

I love the colors of this bag! Here are my essentials:
    1. Clinique Sun SPF 50 body cream
    2. My husband’s favorite GW hat—because “What’s yours is mine” :)
    3. Wilson beach volleyball—because I didn’t spend all winter in the gym to sit on the beach!

Nay'Chelle left a comment on 5/29/2011 at 12:33 AM:

I love this bag! It’s perfect for a beach trip. I would bring:

1. Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian
    2. My Blackberry
    3. Sunblock (awkward tan lines are the worst!)

Pamela J Fatone left a comment on 5/28/2011 at 5:37 PM:

1-My Votre Vu
    2-My sunscreen
    3-My wallet

Lee Anne left a comment on 5/28/2011 at 2:57 AM:

I LOVE this bag! I’d carry book/magazine, beach towel, and Rosebud Salve in lieu of lipgloss. I’d also throw in a leash for my dog, as she loves to lay out in the sun just as much as I do.

RowBoat left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 8:36 PM:

Phone, Book, Metrocard! With a blanket and sunglasses, this bag is perfect for a trip to the park. Which is what I plan to do all weekend! :)

Krystal Clark left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 5:46 PM:

Kindle, Lilly Pulitzer Koozie, Kodak camera

KGC left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 4:55 PM:

This would be a great bag to bring back and forth from my work to the rowing club everyday. I’d have my essentials: my pink Vineyard Vines cap, my Ray-Ban Wayfarers and sunscreen.

J left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 5:15 AM:

I hope the reader who said she would bring Salinger’s Nine Stories was being facetious.

In the first story (A Perfect Day for Bananafish), Seymour Glass, after spending a day at the beach, blows his head off in his hotel room - seeking escape from the trifles and trivialities of materialist society.

Kirsti left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 12:32 AM:

I would carry this to class and everywhere, love it!
    Definitely have my favorite Pilot pens in every color, tinted Chapstick, and the book I’m reading at the moment (I hate being on my phone when I have to wait before class/doctor’s office/anywhere, would rather be reading!)

Sarah left a comment on 5/27/2011 at 12:05 AM:

The three things that will be attached to me this summer: a salvaged but scrappy The Complete Sherlock Holmes, a silenced cell phone, and a swiss watch from Dad.

Christina left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:53 PM:

Love it! For sure my Jacks, vintage Yankees cap, and an Arnold Palmer

Sarah left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 6:25 PM:

Cute!! Sunglasses, NYT magazine, and ballpoint pen for the crossword.

BAH left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 6:13 PM:

How lovely! I would tote around my Ray-Ban oversized Wayfarers, monogrammed seersucker koozie and whatever book I’ll be reading next.

Isabel left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 6:01 PM:

I’d tote around my monogrammed beach towel, J.D. Salinger’s Nine Short Stories, and some sunscreen!

Genevieve left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 5:21 PM:

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey
    2. My Nikon D40
    3. My Macbook

kitty left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 4:02 PM:

cheez-it crackers (a whole box, not just a handful in a ziploc bag), an old weekapaug yacht club hoodie (accidentally bleach-dyed once-upon-a-time and with holes all along the ribbed trim) and my mother’s childhood bedspread (now serves as my favorite beach blanket)

V left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 3:50 PM:

I love the colors, even for work in the summer! This would house my moleskin planner, my Smith sunglasses, and my Jcrew billfold, just to keep plenty of space for stuff I might acquire along the way!

Jessica S. left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 3:09 PM:

Oh my goodness, I adore this!  I’d already be wearing Ray Bans (etc.) if I walked with it down to the beach, so my three essentials would be:
    1) Dior sheer lip gloss
    2) my iPhone (to double as an iPod with a few key playlists)
    3) bottle of Evian

mjl left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 3:05 PM:

Like AEV, I too, carry the bag.  My girl would fill it with tennis balls for the dogs, towels for all of us, and of course her iphone.

Rebecca left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 2:08 PM:

Wayfarers, lipgloss, and Lilly covered iPhone.  Great bag!

Elizabeth left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 2:03 PM:

This bag is so cute and would match any summer wardrobe!

1. Town and Country magazine (It’s pretty much my Bible.)
    2. Vineyard Vines croakie (Wouldn’t want to lose my sunglasses on a spontaneous sailing adventure.)
    3. corkscrew (You’d be surprised how often this little guy comes in handy, especially in the summers.)

Lucy left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 1:36 PM:

so cute! i would use it to carry a book, a bottle of water, sunglasses, and sunscreen to the park for a lazy afternoon reading in the sun.

Jamie AnneMarie left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 1:26 PM:

Perfect tote for my books (I’m re-reading the classic travel books this summer),  my Rolleiflex TLR, and my new iPad. Love it!

Johanna left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 12:11 PM:

a map of china (where I’m working this summer!), sunglasses, and a great book to relax with!

Amanda left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:29 AM:

Ray-bans, Hermes scarf, & Sun screen

AEV left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:13 AM:

...when I’m at the beach, I tend to carry the bag for the both of us. 1. My fiance’s Bonnano sandals 2. “The Rum Diary” by Hunter Thompson and 3. The resort and airline’s phone numbers so I can extend my trip at will….

KQ left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:06 AM:

Beautiful tote! This would be perfect for carrying sunscreen SPF 50, my Jack Rogers, and magazines for perfect beach reading.

Amber left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 11:05 AM:

Love love love this tote!!! Camera, coconut water & monogramed graphic image journal.

Laura K left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 10:44 AM:

This is a precious tote. Definitely the SPF 50, some chapstick, and a good summer read!

k a t e left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 10:09 AM:

To a date in the park. A brightly colored and patterned picnic blanket to sit on, an assortment of snackable fruits, cheeses, and crackers, and a sun hat to prevent getting too rosey!

Seema left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 10:04 AM:

Wayfarers, the Economist, and a BlackBerry!

Holly left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 9:53 AM:

Sunglasses, sunscreen, and an amazing summer read!

kchamp left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 9:38 AM:

Sunglasses, waterbottle and a favorite book!

suz8 left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:58 AM:

My kindle, spf 50 and my oldest RL beach towel, perfectly faded.

Tess left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:48 AM:

This bag is the perfect summer accessory! I would throw in aviators, my ralph lauren rubgy wallet, and some sweet tea vodka and head out on the boat down narragansett bay!

Darcie left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:46 AM:

shaker full of gin and tonic, ice and lime. what else would you need?

Leslie left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:29 AM:

My Kindle, my Droid and some sunscreen…what more do you need?

Cassie left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:23 AM:

Oh I love it! I would toss in my iphone, some chapstick and plenty of magazines!

allie left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 8:14 AM:

ray bans, sun screen, and my kindle. all the necessities :)

Julie Beets left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 7:17 AM:

If I were the lucky winner, I would pack my bag with my car keys, a fist full of cash and le joie de vivre.

Elizabeth left a comment on 5/26/2011 at 4:55 AM:

Oh look at the sailboat! On the way to the beach, I’ll be carrying orange nailpolish, an enormous bottle of lemonade to share with friends, and my Jack Rogers will be thrown in when the sidewalk hits the sand.

Sarah left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 11:39 PM:

What a beautiful tote bag! If this gem were mine, I would fill it with my straw hat from J.Crew, a copy of Tad Friend’s “Cheerful Money,“and a can of Wilson tennis balls for whenever I wanted to play tennis.

Melissa left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 10:41 PM:

My camera, my ipod, and a good book.

Olivia left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 10:16 PM:

Love this tote! I will be carrying my ray bans, 85 spf sunblock, and a collection of Fitzgerald short stories.

Charlotta left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 10:12 PM:

This is a lovely bag! I would carry my sunblock, towel and ipod.

Jolie left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:58 PM:

Gorgeous tote!

I would carry this while visiting a lighthouse on the shores of nantucket and inside I would carry my canon camera, lilly sunglasses, and my navy sperry top-siders (so I can go barefoot on the beaches).

SM left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:44 PM:

Sunglasses, my iPod, and a cardigan to cover up with in overly air-conditioned NYC.

Julie (brown eyed belle) left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:39 PM:

I love Francesca Joy! What a wonderful giveaway :)

I would tote around my Kate Spade wallet, cooling mist and my new favorite bright pink lipstick :)

Mariel left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:37 PM:

This would be a perfect bag to carry a Lilly towel, my Nook, and my iPod to the beach!

MNM left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:36 PM:

love in the time of cholera, a bottle of iced tea, and a giant bag of skittles

Megan left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:35 PM:

I was already looking to buy one of these for my beach towel sunscreen, and a book/magazine!

Danielle left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:26 PM:

Perfect bag for my summer plans in London, Bermuda and Cape Cod. I would have to stock the bag with my ray ban wayfarers, my Ralph Lauren Wallet and a light wool cardigan for drafty museums and cool summer nights on the beach.

Rachel left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 9:09 PM:

oh my goodness that tote is GORGEOUS!!  My summer must-haves include a monogrammed beach towel, a Jane Austen novel, and some aviators (with croakies of course!)

Georgie left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:55 PM:

Love this tote!
    I would bring my ipod with Vampire Weekend on repeat, my copy of Catcher in the rye, and my grandfather’s faded crewneck Nantucket sweatshirt for when it gets windy on the beach.

Julie left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:54 PM:

A Lilly or Vera Bradley beach towel, Bobbi Brown’s “Beach” SPF spray, and my Kindle. The tote is fabulous!

Emmy left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:49 PM:

If I had this bag, I’d carry my point-and-shoot camera, hair elastics for the convertible, and my ipod (which honestly is full of Unabashedly Prep playlists, amongst my own mixes)

Christina left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:48 PM:

raybans, carmex, and a good pat conroy novel

this bag is adorable! similar to some older jcrew totes

Andrea left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:37 PM:

Oh la la. . .  such a cute bag! Perfect for an afternoon at the beach. In tow would be my iPhone (Kate Spade cover), Ray-Bans, and a weathered copy of the Great Gatsby.

Elizabeth left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 8:27 PM:

How pretty! I’d toss in my beach towel, sun hat, and a book.

Lynn left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 7:37 PM:

Sunscreen, a magazine, and a bottle of water… Love this bag!

Kaitlyn left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:57 PM:

Ray Ban Clubmaster’s, Canon EOS 50D, and my iPod–all I need for a perfect day.

Debbie Dixson left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:55 PM:

I would so love this bag, and in it would be my Bobbie Brown tinted moisturizer, with SPF, a lovely Hermes scarf, and yummy Spanish almonds.

Anna left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:47 PM:

A colorful sarong, my ipod filled with unabashedly prep mixes and a beach hat.

Amanda left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:43 PM:

Love this bag!  I would toss in my monogrammed beach towel, sunscreen and a lazy day beach read.  Great giveaway!

Natalie J. left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:43 PM:

A truly stunning piece of art, this tote and my Lilly swimsuit are a match made in heaven! This beauty would carry my Philosophy Kiss of Hope SPF 15, my Vineyard Vines baseball cap, and last but certainly not least, the tried&true; classic To Kill a Mockingbird.

Kristi Lee left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:35 PM:

Oh my goodness. I need this bag! And inside… Ralph Lauren beach towel, Ray-Bans and a very good beach read.

Jaedeanne left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:24 PM:

Sunscreen, my big floppy hat, and one of the books I’ve been meaning to get to. Super cute tote!

Sylvia left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:22 PM:

This bag is to die for! I’d carry my Betsey Johnson sunglasses, iPhone with a Kate Spade cover, and lesportsac wallet this summer to the beach.

Missy left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:16 PM:

Perfect for camping trips to the shore - a towel, a trashy book, and my flip-flops!

Cricket left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:16 PM:

Oh my goodness, I love that bag! Mine would be carrying my Ralph Lauren aviator sunglasses, my camera, and my Lilly Pulitzer beach towel. xo

Mollie left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:13 PM:

This would be the perfect pool bag! Throw in my beach towel, a good book, and sunscreen and I would be good to go!

Robin left a comment on 5/25/2011 at 6:10 PM:

my sarah pinto planner, lilly pultizer covered iphone, and dooney & bourke wallet.

p.s. i adore this tote!!

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Older Posts