• Well Suited

Dress Code  

Photographed in Washington D.C., DC

Noteworthy: madras tie, university stripe pocket square, no break in trousers, green socks, overall tailored silhouette.

May 10, 2011 | Permalink (22) View/Leave Comments

Jon left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 1:26 PM:

Not a French cuff man, myself, but this kind of works. Very well tailored, dark brown is Navy’s best friend (shoes; belt)and the semi-spread collar kills.

teversole left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 3:52 PM:

Love the fit of the jacket, love the pink shirt and the madras tie. Very Spring into Summer. He looks great!

Don left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 2:24 PM:

The only thing I’d change is that I’d prefer a jacket fit that doesn’t allow any shirt to show above the belt—but I’m old-fashioned that way.

krc left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 7:46 AM:

that tie is absolute perfection

northshore left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 7:29 AM:

Fred, tell us about this guy. What does he do?

Mark left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 10:02 PM:

Does his pocket square match his shirt?

Trevor left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 9:11 PM:

I like the look.  I also ask that nobody ever takes a picture of me and posts it on a blog, because frankly I don’t give a damn as long as I feel good about how I look and that’s what I like about style.

Even putting your name on a blog comment (or some cryptic name) doesn’t mean squat unless you want to bear it to the entire world what you think your best style is and have it critiqued.  It takes a brave (or narcissistic) soul to let it all hang out.  Kudos to those who do.

BA left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 7:50 PM:

When it comes to shoes, I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for - and, especially for men, shoes and watches (in particular) should not be skimped on. Does dollar value/cost directly translate to style? No. But, when it comes to fine men’s dress shoes, it nearly always has a direct correlation with quality and craftsmanship. And, quality and craftsmanship is rarely out of style.

JvK left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 7:40 PM:

I think he looks good. Kind of standard, but still sharp.

G.S.O left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 4:00 PM:

I think the pose makes the suit look more snug than it actually is, either way its good. Nice tie too

WMM left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 4:00 PM:

They have a Jettie’s in Cleveland Park??

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 3:28 PM:

Brilliant look. I like it!

BJP left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 2:43 PM:

Great look. People are seemingly not familiar with clothes that are either tailored or that fit. This is a great navy suit that fits a thin guy well. I wear slightly more of a break in my slacks, though—as discussed a million times on this blog—that is an individual preference, not an indication of prep style. The pink shirt and madras tie add a nice bit of flare to an otherwise fairly conservative look.

chris w. left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Oh, I am loving this look! I also like the pose. Especially like the cufflinks!

mjl left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 1:47 PM:

great real world application to the prep world.  very few people can go to work in some of the images on this blog.  if you follow fred on twitter, you know he has a love affair with his tailor, and this guy obviously has a good relationship with his too.  shoes?  spot on with a pair of brown oxfords.  very well dressed guy, in my opinion.

Rake left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 1:10 PM:

@Tad—Agreed. Great look, and an example that style and business attire need not be mutually exclusive terms.

@Jochan—As I’m sure you are aware, jackets and trousers are cut for different body parts, and tailored accordingly. Additionally, while modern and clean - this is classic business attire. Ask yourself, would tighter trousers than the ones above be appropriate for business? Surely not for the meetings I attend as a result of my job.

dan left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 12:31 PM:

I like the tie.

jochan left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 11:25 AM:

The jacket and pants can’t possibly be from the same suit. The jacket is significantly slimmer than the pants.

Rustin left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 11:06 AM:

I’m new to trouser breaks - is that more of a short break than no break? Just trying to learn something…

Tad Allagash left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 10:47 AM:

Nothing to critique here - great example of using color and having a well fitted suit but keeping it business appropriate.

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 10:43 AM:

Better today. Still looking angry though.

Smith & Ratliff left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 10:38 AM:

Love the madras tie!

• Brief Statement

Dress Code  

Photographed in Washington D.C., DC

Noteworthy: leather briefcase, club tie, family heirloom engine turn buckle, spread collar.

May 9, 2011 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

teversole left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 3:51 PM:

Very professional and put together, love the bag. Why so serious? Smile a little and enjoy those fine clothes!

ponderosa left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 4:19 AM:

Ah, Cleveland Park.  Nice to see old haunts.
    Prep or not, I like the practicality. Classic with a touch, not trying too hard.  Well done.

Tyler P. left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 1:40 AM:

The color violet is really growing on me. I used to dislike it until I purchased a polo that was a tone of violet. Now, I see it as a welcome change of pace from the stereotypical pastels. I really enjoy the spread collar since it stays tight and close to the neck. I feel as though too many spread collar shirts try to put too much emphasis on the collar, which overpowers the rest of the shirt. That being said, I think the shoes are too beat up and worn to be able to blend well with the spotless look of the rest of the outfit.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 11:12 PM:

Great picture Fred. I think his look is pretty solid.

chris w. left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 10:38 PM:

Come on come on, we’re all dying to know! Is this AEV?

I don’t care for that purple shade nor do I like the belt buckle. But the fit of everything is great and I love the briefcase!

Tito left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 7:30 PM:

On point!
    He can go everywhere with this get up. simple and stylish.
    And who gives a rat’s behind if purple isn’t preppy? GOOD LORD!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 6:01 PM:

In regards to those suggesting a full windsor knot with the spread collar, I only recommend tying a full windsor if you are President of the United States of America, over 40 years old, or an ESPN sports analyst.  Even then, it’s not prep.

Lee Anne left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 5:53 PM:

Overall a great look. I also agree that a full-Windsor knot would have looked better with his spread collar. I love the purple tie though, and nice tailoring on the suit.

TWB left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 4:19 PM:

Spread collars are for winners. 

I’m not the most stylish guy, but I’ve always made spread collar dress shirting a priority.  Seeing it put to work this nicely legitimizes my shirt of choice for the better part of my life. 

A bag with a thousand stories never hurts, either.

khordkutta left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 4:19 PM:

dudes on point, dig the briefcase.

Rake left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 3:26 PM:

Looks excellent.

Pat left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 3:15 PM:

spread collar is unreal.

DAM left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 2:41 PM:

Second BJP - the bag is great. Dare I saw a profile on Glaser Designs?

Tom Bosché left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 2:10 PM:

Fred - Nothing but class.  Works at his age, and if he takes care of it all, will work at age 70, as well.  A truly timeless look.

BJP left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 1:18 PM:

Great look. Love the briefcase.

meg left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 1:16 PM:

handsome man.

• May 2011 Playlist

Music & Books  

May 9, 2011 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

Robert Perez left a comment on 6/2/2011 at 5:45 AM:

Need THIS!!!

Oscar Felix left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 9:32 PM:

@Nathan If your files never unzip, it is probably because you don’t have the right software on your computer..

If you have windows: http://www.7-zip.org/

Or Mac OS: http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

Brian left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 9:43 AM:

Thank-you

Nathan left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 8:52 AM:

These never unzip. I’ve been trying for the last five months. For those of you who get it to work, what program do you use?

Christina left a comment on 5/10/2011 at 11:52 AM:

I always look for this! Excited to listen!

Mike S left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 3:42 PM:

I never comment here, but I always open these and wonder if this is the month that Beach Fossils will finally appear on your playlist.

August left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 3:29 PM:

Ofc Foo Fighters at the top!

Richard Ross left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 12:41 PM:

This came at a great time. I’m excited for this one.

Emmy left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 12:21 PM:

At long last!

• True Wind

Style  

Roger Marquis and I are gabbing over the hamburger and cottage fried potatoes at J.G. Melon. It’s a short walk from his place on the Upper East Side. He’s reminiscing about his Long Island youth—summers saturated with salty Atlantic air, surfing, and summer camps spent sailing. A preppy adolescence indeed, after which, he co-founded True Wind with his sister Meredith.

Large Sailor Bag from The Signals Collection*

Recycled sail cloth bags are having a moment; however, in a compelling argument for quality, the Marquis siblings craft their line of bags from brand new Dacron sailcloth by Hood Sailmakers. Sound familiar? It’s the cloth of choice for some of the largest and most prestigious classic, cruising, and racing yachts in the world. They are the only company doing this. Made individually by hand in California with solid brass hardware and double and triple stitching, the bags’ distinct striping and colors are inspired by marine signal flags. After weekending on Nantucket, it’s an ideal bag to lug with you from the Hy-line to the beach...monogrammed, of course.

*courtesy of True Wind

May 6, 2011 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

A.W.Keller left a comment on 5/16/2011 at 2:40 PM:

Got my tote in the mail a couple of days ago.  It is immaculate and the customer service (color change) was impeccable.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/11/2011 at 8:31 PM:

@RCG—Yes, this is the UK cover.

RCG left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 7:56 PM:

Fred- is that the UK cover of Mr. Ripley? I don’t know for sure but from a quick internet search it seems to be.

Cydney left a comment on 5/9/2011 at 10:23 AM:

Purchased the Regatta Tote and Ditty Bag at a store in Aspen this winter. The bags are outstanding. The hardware is brass.The sailcloth is beautiful. I’m so glad you reviewed a company that makes its products in the USA. The stripes are a conversation starter. People are definitely attracted to the colors. Next up for me, a True Wind duffel! Fred, you got this one right…

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 7:15 PM:

Ian Fleming’s original James Bond is also great summer reading.

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 7:08 PM:

What a great book. All versions are great.

Stacey left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 2:35 PM:

Just ordered a large duffel and classic tote (both monogrammed of course!). Love that these bags are handmade in the US. I’ve owned one or two of the recycled bags, but they don’t last (and they’re not a crisp white color). Thank you for introducing me to True Wind!

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 5/7/2011 at 8:42 PM:

I heart J.G. Melon. http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

Ellen Harris left a comment on 5/7/2011 at 5:07 PM:

need the Pink Gator

Lee Anne left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 8:20 PM:

@Laguna Beach Fogey and @Patricia - If you are long-time readers of the blog, you’ll have noticed that F.E.C. is an avid soccer player and can be found many weekends on the pitch. These sandals are a tribute to his youth and his sport. That in itself is prep.

GLG left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 5:57 PM:

Nice feature.  I think Lacoste is like the third estate in pre-revolution France here, underrepresented and under-appreciated, glad to see that change.

Andrea left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 5:10 PM:

Wow - I am totally lusting over these bags. They are beautiful.

DLI left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 2:54 PM:

While I like this version of the sail bag, it reminds me of the type sold at Sperry stores. I got mine 6 years ago from an ad in the NYTimes for Viva Terra, a sustainable materials webstore. Not only is my bag made from the sail of a yacht, but inside is a label stating the make of the boat, which sail it was taken from, and where the vessel was registered. This just added a little personal touch to a truly durable and prep-essential piece.

AWKeller left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 12:19 PM:

The Skipper tote bag might be just the thing for me to take on my trip to Greece next month.

G.S.O left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 9:24 AM:

Love the “Talented Mr. Ripley” and the wayfarers.

Patricia left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 8:53 AM:

What is under the book? A KJP bracelet?
    Are these sandals considered prep style?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 7:30 AM:

I like this collection very much. Love the sailing bag and Lacoste beach towel.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

• Pink Lady

Dress Code  

Photographed in Amagansett, NY

May 5, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 7:11 PM:

Lovely

Straw Boater left a comment on 5/8/2011 at 5:18 PM:

Who’s the guy in the background sporting the patch madras jacket?  That’s a nice look.

saprof left a comment on 5/6/2011 at 8:07 AM:

Linda Eastman McCartney c.1970

Lee Anne left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 1:57 PM:

Just beautiful! It makes me want to grab a tray of cocktails and go sit by the pool.

Sticheau left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 12:43 PM:

Refreshing. Makes me feel like walking up and saying, “hi.” The size of the print and the size of the dress are good match, obviously. Attractive shot.

johnny lexington left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 12:11 PM:

nice change up!

Christina left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 12:02 PM:

Love this look. Brian is right. She just looks confident and comfortable.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 10:56 AM:

Simple perfect.

Brian left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 9:58 AM:

Love the casual presence that expressed when one is completely comfortable with their own style and in their own skin…

JF left a comment on 5/5/2011 at 9:30 AM:

Very nice…

• Newer Posts Older Posts