• Paradigm Shift

Dress Code | Prep Essentials  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Cynthia Rowley shift dress. Women have looked brilliant in shift dresses for decades—Jackie O. did and so does my friend Susan (as she laughs off any nerves).

Jul 15, 2011 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Ksamson left a comment on 7/24/2011 at 8:22 AM:

Actually, she is wearing a sheath not a shift dress.  Shift dresses hang straighter with only a suggestion of a waist, sheath dresses are fitted.

John left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 4:32 PM:

Shifts and wedge heels…two of the fashion gods’ greatest gifts to mankind. :)

KGC left a comment on 7/16/2011 at 9:27 PM:

Everything about this outfit is amazing. I love the dress and I love the wedges. I also agree with Laguna Beach Fogey about how real she looks too. Love it.

Maurice left a comment on 7/16/2011 at 10:22 AM:

She’s so hot!  Love the outfit.  Perfect for around NYC in the summer.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 6:10 PM:

Such a beautiful dress colour. I love her hair—and curves! Goodness…

Well done, FEC.

Tariro left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 2:04 PM:

I absolutely love her shoes! She seems to have an amazing sense of style.

dam left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 1:07 PM:

10!

cam left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 12:21 PM:

I’m guessing this women is too beautiful to cover her face. What a cruel trick you’ve played on us ;)

allie left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 12:02 PM:

It’s nice to see the classic styling of the dress and bag paired with the more trendy wedges.

Angel left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 11:19 AM:

Susan indeed looks brilliant in that dress, that color is fantastic, I have it in one of my BB button ups. I’ve also been noticing a lot of nude colored strapy wedges like that a lot lately, I’m guess they are the shoe of the season.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Photography

d. nubbins left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 11:18 AM:

She looks perfect! Great shot!

• Undefeated

Miscellany  

Jul 14, 2011 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

CHC left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 4:37 PM:

Good quote!

Thad left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 11:15 AM:

Great quote, Mr. AEV.

AEV left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 9:42 AM:

“The truest characters of ignorance are vanity, pride and arrogance.” -Samuel Butler

whitney left a comment on 7/14/2011 at 7:49 PM:

love this one!

• The Andy Warhol Diaries

Music & Books  

Best ingested in small doses, The Andy Warhol Diaries are the closest thing there will ever be to Warhol’s autobiography—yet it is more honest and revealing than an autobiography could ever be. He dictated his diary to Pat Hackett, his secretary, around 9 A.M. every morning Monday-Friday...legal pad, tape recorder, hotel stationary, typewriter, and receipts—yes, even receipts and dollar amounts are given cameos in various entries (cab $3.50, Newsweek $2, dinner $200, etc). So that the diary could be published in one large volume, Hackett distilled its original length of 20,000 pages down to what she felt was most representative of Andy.

From the intimate (Tuesday, February 17, 1987: the days before his untimely death) to the mundane (Monday, August 28, 1979: Warhol visits his dentist in Montauk) to the candid (Wednesday, February 15, 1978: “Hung over, couldn’t get out of bed.”) to the humorous (Tuesday, March 27, 1979: Warhol tells his friend Brigid to “go to church and pray to God” when she’s freaking out about her weight), the 807 pages paint a picture of a shy, ambitious, generous, bitchy, funny, phobic, and tormented man.

“Andy had a late adolescence—in his twenties he’d worked very hard at his commercial art career; he didn’t take much time out to have fun, really, until he was in his thirties. So he terrorized people the way, for instance, the most popular girl in high school could—creating cliques and setting up rivalries just for the “entertainment” value of watching people fight for his attention. But toward the end of the seventies he started to mellow.”

—Pat Hackett

Jul 13, 2011 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

S left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 10:15 AM:

The Frist Center for the Visual Arts (Nashville, TN) is currently hosting an excellent Warhol exhibit thru Sept 11.

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 7/16/2011 at 9:09 PM:

Read this years ago.  A really interesting read.  If you like this you should read Edie, Edited by George Plimpton.  It’s about Edie Sedgwick.  A great book.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/14/2011 at 8:15 PM:

Excellent. I was in London when it was released. In a way, ideal bedtime reading.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

GLG left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 12:50 PM:

I’m a big fan of Andy Warhol, but I feel he is still largely misunderstood by many - even within artistically inclined circles. I’ll probably check this out.

• Sneaking Around

Top Drawer | Style | Dress Code | Prep Essentials  

Image via Justin Chung for Tretorn

Noteworthy: Saint James tee, painter's khaki (with cuff), alligator watch strap, Tretorn Nylites. Nylites are the canvas sneaker the 80s prep-set grew up in. Introduced in 1967, the Swedish sneaker was regarded as the first luxury sport shoe. Today, its classic silhouette is still as relevant as it was 40 years ago.

Jul 12, 2011 | Permalink (47) View/Leave Comments

Russell left a comment on 6/26/2012 at 3:58 PM:

Are those Bill’s Khakis?

NPHAF left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 4:47 PM:

It’s funny how I can’t seem to find the Nylites in the stores, though I am from Sweden. My search will continue…

ifyouwantsomethingdone left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 4:03 AM:

i wear my paint clothes out all the time, and get it confused as desighner. i love the idea of art tranfer from medium to medium. Nice pairings between accessories and the overall attitude. :D

cam left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 12:26 PM:

@Joe….rugby.com

Emily left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 9:48 AM:

Great picture! I love the stripes on the shirt! The facial expression is also priceless.

-Emily (urbanadventurer.com/blog)

txsailorboy left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 12:16 AM:

To Daniel FEC would never tell you this, but in a high school of about 1000 students, one year he won 1st and 2nd place in the annual art show.  “Jeans” from his grandpa who was a bronze sculptor and his great grandpa (circa 1880) who was a photographer in the early 1900’s.  It;s quite a treat to watch the development.

Joe left a comment on 7/14/2011 at 7:18 PM:

Where’s a good place to find a nice pair of slim-fitting khakis?

Glenn Elliott left a comment on 7/14/2011 at 1:14 PM:

Great look Fred, especially that you created the pants.  Not a huge fan of off the shelf painters I was conflicted between Tretorns and Spring Court this Spring and went with the SC’s.  I thought I was satisfied but those Tretorn’s look good.

J left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 7:51 PM:

Ah! my sweetie has “painter’s khakis” but they got that way by painting! your take is one part prep and one part Clash (as created by the delish Paul Simonon). FUN!!

Sam Dunning left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 5:57 PM:

It’s a good look.

PJOM left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 3:07 PM:

Everything about this (especially the chinos) is outstanding Fred.  Don’t entertain the thought of anything less!

GLG left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 12:56 PM:

@FEC Sounds great.  I think I might try a similar idea, but instead of painting the pants themselves, just wear them while painting for a while - I need some practice with oils anyways.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 12:51 PM:

@GLG—Indeed they can. Oil paint doesn’t wash out. Turn pants inside out and wash in cold water. Hang dry.

GLG left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 12:48 PM:

This is a killer shot Fred - it lacks all of the boring conservative elements of prep fashion and replaces them with a right-brain creative zaniness.  Just one question though - can these pants survive the wash?

David ( from England ) left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 11:33 AM:

Hi Josh,
    Yes I like the style and have done for years, and funny enough my daughter has it in her “jeans” too and has been working at Ralph Lauren recently.

Josh (Preposity.com) left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 10:41 AM:

Great to see some classic European brands featured, both St James of France and Tretorn of Sweden. lovely.

I have painted in Oils since art school and have an old pair of trousers shirt for painting in, I can’t say they’re in quite such an artful state though.

Hi David (From England), I’m also from England, nice to see some English preps around.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 10:02 AM:

@DAM—I wear them on the weekends with a polo, this Saint James tee, a blazer, an oxford…with whatever.  These are not for everyone…these are not safe if you dress to be invisible, unnoticeable, or seek to deflect attention from yourself.  Me, on the other hand, I like to make people look and then think about themselves.  This is an expression of who I am as a creative.  Not that it matters to me, but I get compliments in these…plenty.

DAM left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 9:48 AM:

I get the look and the idea of building a character for the sake of this shoot. And can appreciate the overall styling.

But tell me, where and how would you wear this pants outside of this unique situation?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 8:27 AM:

@GD—Purcells and Nylites are both certainly viable canvas sneaker options (both of which I wear) but I lace up my Nylites more often because they aren’t on American pop culture’s radar as much.

AEV left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 8:13 AM:

@GD - Original Stan Smiths.

GD left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 8:08 AM:

Jack Purcell’s OR Tretorns? That is the question.

David ( from England ) left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 8:05 AM:

Thank you for the feed back Fred, I wonder how many other people from the UK follow your blog ? It would be fun to see some photos of your apartment when you get round to it. Cheers.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 4:11 AM:

@Peter—The paint is oil.

@David (from England)—I am a fashion creative with a heavy emphasis on photography and writing as of late. I live in an apartment in Dallas/Ft. Worth built in 1920.  It’s interior is a reflection not only of the content making up Unabashedly Prep but more importantly, my personal style. As always, it’s a work in progress.  Maybe eventually I will photograph it.

Peter left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 3:43 AM:

Great pic. What kind of paint did you use?

David ( from England ) left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 2:29 AM:

Hiya Fred, a couple of things I would like to ask if I may, As I am newish to your blog I don’t know what you do for a living but would be intersted to know and secondly as a great people watcher when I see people that dress well I often wonder where they live and what their houses/apartments look like have you ever posted any pictures of your home ? It would be fun to see what style you have. Thanks

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 1:22 AM:

Awesome picture Fred. You are Style!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 12:16 AM:

FEC: “I’m thinking like a fashion designer her…thinking aspirationally…creating a character…ultimately, having fun with it.”

Exactly. And that’s why you’re going to make it and outlast the others who lack your vision. Well done, ol’ chap.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:19 PM:

@Sleeve Length—Let’s be clear: J.Crew doesn’t have a version of the St. James tee, they simply stock them. That being said, it is long sleeved; although, the sleeve still falls shy of your wrist though…by design.

Sleeve Length left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:15 PM:

Is the J Crew version of the St. James tee 3/4th sleeve or full length sleeve?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:09 PM:

@Bing G.—The belt is from Polo and the khakis are Gant by Michael Bastian.

Bing G. left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:00 PM:

Great look all around - where did you pick up the belt from? And the khakis are fantastic.

Hunter left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 10:44 PM:

@Mr. Castleberry, thanks a lot and I agree love the Tretorns I have had a pair for a long time and they need replacing but they have lost that glaring white they started out, and I am not looking forward to wearing another pair in.

Hunter left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 7:53 PM:

FEC or anyone who owns one,  how is the fit on the Saint James tee?  I saw an earlier comment about the size but didn’t see a response.  Just trying to get an idea on what size to order, used to have one but don’t remember the sizing.

Defying the Current left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 7:10 PM:

Oh Mr. Castleberry…fantastic shot!!!!

I believe you may have started something. I’m bringing out my dusty fabric paints, unused since the early 90’s and taking to make khakis. I’m certain to be the only one in all of D.C. with this look. The “navy suits” will love me! Thank you!!

-J. Flores

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 5:44 PM:

Lookin’ good, sailor!

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 5:24 PM:

Whats lacking from this post is a vespa and a roman holiday! Great inspiration, love the fact that you painted the pants yourself, not sure I could pull it off, but is inspiring. If this shot was black and white, i would be hard to pinpoint a timeperiod .

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 5:12 PM:

@Daniel—Art (of all media, including oil) has had a significant place throughout my childhood.

Daniel left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 5:09 PM:

Do you paint? (Other than on your pants)

bimmer left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 3:05 PM:

Cool shot Fred.

Kory left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 2:34 PM:

How is the fit for the Saint James? Thinking of ordering one for myself.

Paul left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 1:25 PM:

One of your best shots ever. Love the Tretorns. The painted pants remind me of some of the excellent hand “paint-splattered” t-shirts by Rogues Gallery.

Andy M. left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 12:54 PM:

Great photo.  I initially doubted the “prep-ness” of the painter’s khaki but I like the Warhol tie-in. 

I may need to pick up a Saint James tee soon.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 12:21 PM:

@AEV—Further explanation will be provided later in the week but in short, this is an aspirational look inspired by the likes of Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, and Pablo Picasso.  Pollock spent summers in East Hampton painting in a converted barn—this is what I imagined a pair of his chinos looking like at the end of a summer. The bandana, well, that’s to wipe the summer sweat from your forehead, of course.

AEV left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 12:14 PM:

Interesting shot for sure. What are “painter’s khakis”? Will you please explain the red bandana in your rear pocket?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:47 AM:

@alyriclifestyle—Thank you. I painted the khakis myself.

Tito left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:46 AM:

This is a cool shot!
    I was skeptical about getting pair of Tretorns, but know you convince me…

alyriclifestyle left a comment on 7/12/2011 at 11:42 AM:

Great pic. Can never go wrong with a Saint James tee. Are you responsible for enhancing the khaki?

• Get Out of Town

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: gingham sport-shirt, original demi tortoise shell aviator Blublockers (a tongue-in-cheek trend in inexpensive sunglasses amongst the twenty-something prep-set; e.g. Knockarounds). Blair was en route to Bridgehampton for the Fourth when I caught up with him in TriBeCa. After prepping at Deerfield Academy in western Massachusetts, the tote bearing his alma mater is rarely out of reach come the weekend.

Speaking of getting out of town, if you're a college graduate looking for your first apartment in an unfamiliar city, The Next Step Realty (in which Blair is a co-founder) can help you do just that.

Jul 11, 2011 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

lvl left a comment on 8/30/2012 at 3:17 PM:

My son, So Handsome!!!

juliet left a comment on 8/30/2012 at 3:16 PM:

Thats my cousin! So handsome looks like me!

TLC left a comment on 11/15/2011 at 1:05 PM:

The watch is by Tag Heuer!

Donnell Cole left a comment on 10/27/2011 at 11:50 PM:

Nice! Any idea on who his watch is made by?

Amber left a comment on 10/22/2011 at 8:49 PM:

Really digging that particular style of sunglasses. Wondering if shades from Woodzee can pull off the prep look.

Bridge left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 3:10 PM:

Love this shot. The polarized sunglasses give him an edge. Very cool.

bunny left a comment on 7/15/2011 at 2:48 PM:

just wanted to say how much i like the lighting in this candid photo

m left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 9:59 PM:

Deerfield Academy is about as preppy as it gets, and what a fantastic school. It’s one of the most elite places you can find.

Mkm left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 8:38 PM:

Blue gingham, much better and looks great with a tan. The alma mater bag is a nice touch as well.

JJones left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 5:56 PM:

Great look. Go Deerfield, my stepbrother went there!

Stu Hodgkiss left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 4:03 PM:

What an awesome look!

TLC left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 11:57 AM:

Get out of town BB!

MAR left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 9:22 AM:

Thought for sure you would post something about Sid’s online shop launching today ...

• Newer Posts Older Posts