sydney left a comment on 2/15/2012 at 10:04 PM:

i love the skirt. where is it from??

caroline left a comment on 1/15/2012 at 11:41 PM:

where is that shirt from?! gorgeous!!

Emm left a comment on 8/9/2011 at 1:36 AM:

US Kate Middleton???

Very pretty outfit!

SM left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 10:29 AM:

Perfect.  Simply perfect.  Prep wear for women should not just mean androgyny a la Muffy Aldrich. I can’t say enough how much I’m in love with this look.

mariaJspence left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 9:12 AM:

the skirt is adorable, love!

http://threadtheneedleblog.blogspot.com/

clare christine left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 6:19 PM:

this is such a beautiful and classic picture! you look absolutely wonderful, such a great summer pic! xoxo Clare http://twirlingclare.blogspot.com/

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:31 AM:

She is lovely!! Everything looks amazing and she looks amazing!!

Rodellee Bas left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 9:44 AM:

Lovely! Love the pale pink paired with eyelet.

Rico Boothman left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 8:49 PM:

An absolutely stunning set of pins . . .Thank you.

Sarah Vickers left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 6:00 PM:

For those of you wondering the skirt is by Emma Graham.

rua lemone left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 12:45 PM:

Awesome….you finally captured a beautiful look and a fab gal to pull it off….see how ankle definition makes a difference….good for you dude!!!!
    Classic elegance is right…now that you have the mold….don’t break it>>>>

Glenn left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 8:57 AM:

This young lady is stunning.

Victoria left a comment on 7/24/2011 at 3:18 PM:

Anybody have any idea where that skirt is from? I love it!

KGC left a comment on 7/24/2011 at 2:33 PM:

Sarah looks gorgeous like always! I love the skirt!

J.Miller left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 7:28 PM:

Ok im wondering does the Jewish version look as good as the WASP.

A left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 2:27 PM:

I LOVE that skirt, any idea of where is its from?

Ashley left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 9:45 AM:

timeless elegance - love love love her style!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 12:00 AM:

Perfect, very elegant and beautiful girl.

B. L. Davis left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 8:20 PM:

Vickers is beautiful and timeless as always!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 3:55 PM:

@AEV—Nice find. That is a really good deal on Tretorns folks. And yes, much more suitable than flip-flops.

AEV left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 3:50 PM:

....and, for all the folks that liked the Tretorns in an earlier post, J. Crew’s got them on sale in a range of sizes for about $30.00…...not my speed, but better than flip flops anyway gents….

AEV left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 3:19 PM:

Perhaps the best female shot/ensemble ever featured on here.

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 2:40 PM:

awww my darling

Raulston left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 2:23 PM:

Classic Elegance S.V.  F.E.C you & K.J.P make quite the marketing pair! Keep up the fine work.
    auniversitygent.blogspot.com

Amanda left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 2:20 PM:

Sarah you look beautiful!  I have that same Coach bag, it was the first present my husband ever got me when we were dating :)

Sarah Vickers left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 1:30 PM:

The bag is a vintage US made Coach bag.

amrit left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 12:58 PM:

Where’s the bag from?

Angel left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 11:53 AM:

Amen Sarah! Her legs go for miles, and I love that top, I’m noticing a lot of those eyelet pattern tops and dresses in white this year, my wife even got her one.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Photography

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 11:45 AM:

I know life is short but what about that skirt!
    Way to go Sarah, beautiful.

• Bud Collins

Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: self confidence.

I thought I wore go-to-hell pants. Bud Collins, a sportscaster best known for his tennis commentary, aims for an entirely different circle of hell. During a recent Brooks Brothers party, I became familiar with Collins's penchant for pea-cocking. It's customary during his travels for him to pick up interesting fabrics along the way and have them made into trousers by the Andover Shop in Cambridge, MA. This particular fabric is an Aboriginal material Collins procured while in Australia in 1995. I'm most impressed that he still has fun with clothes at 82...that's admirable.

Jul 21, 2011 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Jeff left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 11:56 AM:

One word for Bud - “Confidence”! Those are the sweetest pants I’ve seen in awhile!!! No way I could pull off Bud look & his “Je ne sais quoi” LOL

jpryder left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 10:11 AM:

Pants = awesome!

Trailer Trad left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 6:42 PM:

Now that’s what I’m talking about! You can’t put dignity and true, independent style in a ‘12 Spring line of GTH pants.

J left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 6:20 PM:

An excellent lesson: wild fabric, trad cut. An important lesson: never lose your sense of fun!

Mara A. Gosling left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 2:31 PM:

Absolutely sublime.

Erik C. Nelson left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 1:41 PM:

Bud is a great commentator and tennis historian, who also has style.  I think this is a look that only a distinguished older gentleman can pull-off properly.  @socialprimer tweeted this WSJ article ( http://fb.me/LiBt2sgM ) that has me worried about a go-to-hell trend in men’s spring 2012 collections.  Your thoughts Mr. Castleberry?

• Kiel James Patrick Ties

Style  

Kiel James Patrick is growing up—one four-in-hand knot at a time. The guy known for peddling Turk’s head knot rope bracelets is now offering a collection of neckwear inspired by his love of the sea. Aptly named Maritime Repp, the pattern is a nautical twist on the traditional repp stripe. The sailing rope detail evokes an East coast sensibility suitable long after summer has left us. And in typical Kiel James Patrick fashion, the ties and bows are of course handcrafted in the U.S. from Italian-spun ribbed silk.

Kiel James Patrick and me
    Newport, RI July 2011

I have been throwing one on for parties, tennis matches, and cocktails for the past three weeks with many a compliment—but don’t just take my word for it. Patrick is giving one reader the chance to knot one up for themselves on his dime. Enter to win a Maritime Repp tie and bow and do a little growing up yourself.

Jul 20, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Susanne Jernberg left a comment on 11/11/2011 at 12:42 PM:

Dear Sirs
    I leave in Sweden, and I have tryed to contakt Kiel Jack Patrick in there website for 2 times know but when I shall send out the email it dosent work something is wrong in the website. Do You have the email adress to them as You can send to me?
    Many thanks and my Best Regards Susanne Jernberg
    Sweden

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 2:39 PM:

@AEV—Kiel was trying to cover up the polo horse and rider during the Brooks Brothers party.  Myself, well I was just wearing a nautical pin in a nautical town.  It’s sad that the lapel pin has been all but relegated to presidential candidates.

Amanda left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 1:21 PM:

Great picture, although Kiel looks like he’s scared of something!

AEV left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 7:37 AM:

Got to give KJP credit for trying and expanding. What’s with the matching chest pins? Do tell.

Jace left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 5:37 PM:

Kiel James Patrick is the best tie designer ever. If this guy made shirts, blazers, and pants, I would wear them too!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 4:11 PM:

@anon—Kiel’s linen blazer is from Brooks Brothers (Fitzgerald fit).

anon left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 4:02 PM:

I like KJP’s sport coat.  Any idea where it’s from?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 1:57 PM:

Very impressive. The names alone are quite wonderful. I like Bowen’s Mauritius Island Wreck and Stede Bonnet.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com

Michael @ KJP left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 1:50 PM:

Jonathan, we are getting signups already, and it seems fine, if you are having any trouble, shoot me an e-mail at Michael@KielJamesPatrick.com and I will manually enter your submission.

Jonathan N. Snyder left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 1:47 PM:

FEC,

The “connect with facebook” link on the giveway does not seem to be working.

-JS

• Straw Boater

Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: Gucci snaffle bit loafers, reversible bow tie designed especially for International Tennis Hall of Fame, go-to-hell jacket, straw boater hat.

While I was out in Newport, K. Cooper Ray and I met up to witness Andre Agassi's induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. It was brilliant to partake in the pomp, circumstance, and style surrounding the event. As some of you know, Cooper authors Social Primer, one of the best blogs on men's etiquette.

Jul 19, 2011 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

Trip left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 10:56 PM:

The dapper Mr Ray is wearing a Plantation Hat, not a Straw Boater.  This is a Straw Boater: http://www.polyvore.com/brooks_brothers_straw_boater_hat/thing?id=27807011

Twill left a comment on 9/8/2011 at 12:26 PM:

Neat look, but that is not a boater.

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 1:03 PM:

I do love this look. I might have to repeat it soon. Head to toe Brooks Brothers, well, head to ankle. Gucci loafs on the feet.

Emily left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 1:02 PM:

The whole look is great, but I especially love the hat. Well done!

-Emily (urbanadventurer.com/blog)

Hilton left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 10:58 AM:

Regarding the jacket: bravo!

Howie left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 9:58 AM:

Coop, you are the man. Love the whole look.

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 7/20/2011 at 9:39 AM:

Thanks F.E. To answer the burning questions regarding the hat, here’s the poop. We attended a luncheon at the Hall of Fame to honor Andre Agassi as the guests of Brooks Brothers. The hats were a gift hanging from the back of each guests chair. They were provided by Chubbs Insurance and that is what was printed on the ribbon. The hat came in very handy as we moved to Center Court for the induction of Mr. Agassi into the Tennis Hall of Fame. It was a grand, grand day.

Bumby left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 10:23 PM:

You seem to be making summer truly a verb. Well done!

tim left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 10:17 PM:

great great look.

CHC left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 6:09 PM:

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one of the Brooks Brothers X Social Primer bow ties that was released in May? The one that is navy blue with white dots on one side and colorful madras on the other?

I would kill for that bow tie! Please let me know if you know where…

Dex left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 5:23 PM:

Love this outfit, solid GTH. Would never wear the hat but am ‘mirin the rest of the outfit. Is that a Murray’s nantucket red jacket?

Andrew B. left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 4:59 PM:

Kind of a heterodox boater…

AEV left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 3:23 PM:

Love the blazer.

GLG left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 3:21 PM:

Ha - great hat.  Glad to see how much attention RI is getting on here recently.

cam left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 3:20 PM:

The jacket is fantastic!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 1:30 PM:

Well Andy you certaintly have the right impression. Gucci loafers are a prep classic. Actually I own that same pair of shoes, they are so comfortable. Like butter to your feet.

Andy M. left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 12:40 PM:

While there’s plenty about Gucci not to like, I’ve always been under the impression that Gucci loafers are a classic prep item.

nick left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 12:22 PM:

Love the Jacket.

Shawn left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 11:59 AM:

Cooper’s blog and style are amazing enough said.

Amatourist left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 11:50 AM:

Was there just last month. Day trip, in from Nonquitt, MA. Lobster Rolls @ Belle’s in the Newport Shipyard. You oughta give it a go, that is if you can tear yourself away from Royal Male.

• Wardrobe VII

Dress Code  

I’ve been reading Andy Warhol’s diary entries over the last year. An entry here, an entry there. As I mentioned prior, it’s best ingested in small doses. His summer weekends at his Montauk home, in addition to Jackson Pollock’s painting out of his converted East Hampton barn, served as the inspiration behind these chinos.

1. Paisley bandana 

The first time I really saw a guy pull off a back pocket square was in Palm Beach. Switching it out for a bandana gives you the freedom to actually wipe the sweat from your brow (those in the South know what I’m talking about). Given its functionality, it made sense in this look.

2. Rugby repp stripe silk wallet
    3. Timex Easy Reader w/leather band
    4. Rugby sailing bracelet
    5. Kiel James Patrick Turk’s Head knot rope bracelet
    6. Gant by Michael Bastian chinos

I painted these chinos over a span of two weeks with oil paint. The first layer of greens and blues was applied with brushes and a knife and allowed to dry for one week. Then, a top layer of white was applied in the same fashion.

7. Polo Ralph Lauren braided rope belt
    8.Columbiaknit Breton stripe sweatshirt*

Archival Clothing unearthed this fabric from Columbiaknit’s archives during a recent trip to Portland, OR. It’s dead-stock from 1997. Inspired by their love of Saint James tees, Archival thought the Breton stripe pattern would make a nice sweatshirt (for men and women)—they secretly have a goal to help Columbiaknit put their dead-stock to use, rather than have it sit idle. The sweatshirt boasts ribbed cuffs, ribbed inset V, and chain-stitching. It’s the perfect layer fireside on the beach, on the edge of your couch watching Jaws, or on your girl.

9. Eyebobs tort shell eyeglasses
    10. Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star

*courtesy of Columbiaknit

Jul 18, 2011 | Permalink (27) View/Leave Comments

southern belle through and through left a comment on 9/16/2011 at 8:32 PM:

my daddy wore a paisley “back pocket square”, as you call it, when he was casually dressed.  of course, all other occasions called for fine linen, carried in case my mother or i ever needed to wipe teary eyes.  my father was a handsome, dapper fellow and would praise you soundly for your fabulous sense of style and recognition of the old guard way a gentleman presents himself, albeit with a bit of a modern twist.  quite well done!

bk left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 3:25 PM:

warhol’s diaries r sweet read the whole thing in like 2 months ... its a beast

CDM left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 1:45 PM:

@FEC—I know those are Eyebobs glasses but can you tell us which model they are?  Arch Rival?  Full Wit?  Thanks!  They are pretty sweet and timeless.

Xa left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 10:55 AM:

I’m loving the wallet!!! Where could i find one like this? (i live in Paris.)

Thanks!

David C left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 9:03 AM:

May I suggest that you use the bandana as a wristband or neckerchief, as I do with my breton shirts?

Emily left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 11:15 AM:

I love the belt and the bandana! Wonderful combinations. I’m a big Warhol fan too!

-Emily (urbanadventurer.com/blog)

Mat left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 10:04 AM:

I wore a pair of old chinos while sanding and painting my boat over the past couple of months that ended up like this.  Decided a couple weeks ago to take them to my tailor to have them slimmed down for every day wear.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 9:49 AM:

I can believe this I hate the painted chinos when I saw it on Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiguer and now I want a pair.

Guest left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 9:48 AM:

Hey I’m really diggin your pics : )

does anybody know, what is the name of the designer of rugby by rl? thanks guys

Landon left a comment on 7/19/2011 at 3:01 AM:

I enjoy your blog and have added it to my google reader. Anyway, good post. The painter’s khakis remind me of a pair of 501’s that I have reserved exclusively for chores, painting, gardening, and other “dirty” work. They’re beat up, patched, and smell like latex paint. Also Im sure some designer is selling a similar pair for 300+ out there somewhere.

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 7:30 PM:

Thanks Fred. I have a worn in pair of check vans that I will not let go and are holey, paint splattered, destroyed, nothing beats them on the weekend.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 4:21 PM:

@Nathan—With these interchangeable watch straps, you don’t remove the pins…but simply thread the strap through them. When I do have to remove pins I use very small screwdrivers or my fingernails.

Nathan left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 4:16 PM:

what brand of spring bar tool do you use to remove all your watch bands please?

Daniel left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 4:03 PM:

While I have my reservations about painting onto chinos, the execution was admittedly fantastic.

Paul left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:44 PM:

I love that you posted a photo of those pants again. Who knew they would be so contoversial? I think they are great.

CHC left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:28 PM:

Thanks Fred. That’s good to know, I’m mostly pen, paper and acrylics so I didn’t know that. That sounds like fun.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:23 PM:

@CHC—If you’re painting with oils, paint isn’t “falling” anywhere.  Rather, you’re cleaning your brushes on your pants.  I have a rich background in the arts as well…on this piece I simply used clothing as my canvas.

@Joey Dee—I personally wouldn’t go as far as painting the sneaks because I’d be painting barefoot.  It’s important to keep attention-getting pieces to just one in a look (so no, I wouldn’t wear a painted shoe with a painted pant per se).

CHC left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:15 PM:

Do you know people who do the same thing with their jeans/khakis but just let the paint fall naturally while they’re painting? In your opinion, does your method work better or is it just a matter of preference?

I’m sort of an artist so I’m leaning towards just wearing some khakis on when I do oil painting…

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:13 PM:

Great collection. Would you go as far as paintin the sneakers? Would that be too much to wear together? Went into jcrew not too long ago, and i was shocked with their collection and the quality of the pieces, and they happened to have a sale that day! Stocked up on some staples.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 3:00 PM:

@CHC—I painted the chinos deliberately with brush and knife.  The use of the bandana is for wiping your brow (or wiping your brush should you be painting)...and yes, I just jam it down into my pocket halfway.

@Jonathan—I’ve washed them already.  Oil paint doesn’t wash out of cotton…it’s permanent.

CHC left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 2:55 PM:

So, Fred:

Do you paint these jeans deliberately by applying paint directly on them with your hands or a brush, or do you just wear them while you are painting and see how it turns out?

Also, what is your use for the bandanna? Do you usually leave it sticking out of your pocket, or is it just for blowing your nose or something?

Great entry!

Jonathan left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 2:55 PM:

Do you plan on washing those pants? Wouldn’t that make the paint run everywhere?

d. nubbins left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 2:27 PM:

Ok, so the painted khakis are growing on me…just a little.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 1:44 PM:

@rwkirk—Leather watch straps like this one can be picked up J. Crew currently.

rwkirk left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 12:36 PM:

May I inquire as to where you purchased your leather watch strap? It appears as though it weaves through the strap pins to go onto the watch; is that so? If that is the case, that would be great for anyone who uses grosgrain straps but who want to occasionally switch to a leather one.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 11:49 AM:

@G.O.S.—Please do not assume I wear this in Texas.  I travel to the northeast (alot) and the jumper is fantastic on a cool night in Rhode Island.

G.O.S left a comment on 7/18/2011 at 11:48 AM:

If it’s hot enough to be wiping sweat from your brow, how can you be wearing that jumper ?

Love the look but in the summer all my jumpers stay in the cupboard unfortunately. Maybe you are acclimatised to he heat, being in texas.

• Newer Posts Older Posts