• Shoulder To Lean On

Style | Dress Code  

If you think my sons dress well—or even wear properly fitting clothes for that matter—by simply example, you’re gravely mistaken. Yes, they wear a uniform of blue oxford button downs and chinos to school, but that’s just a foundation. Like yourself, clothing your children is a process of function inciting form. With most retailers dumbing down kids’ dress (aka throwing form out the window), it’s going to require effort. Ever try buying a belt for your kid? It’s a wild goose chase. Even worse? Boys’ dress shoes—the selection is exiguous. Fortunately, a dear friend—in true prep fashion—passed down these white Ralph Lauren bucks to the boys. At the rate they’re growing, it won’t be long before I’m doing the same. Enjoy the rest of the images in the meantime.

Aug 17, 2011 | Permalink (19) View/Leave Comments

xy left a comment on 4/17/2012 at 4:04 PM:

I like how your sons have got the habit of tucking their shirts in: not many children in this world do that. Congratulations!!

Carlos left a comment on 9/16/2011 at 12:58 PM:

I can’t believe you have sons this old. I could have sworn you were in your early twenties. Nice picture

K left a comment on 8/27/2011 at 10:01 AM:

Your sons are adorable! I imagine they’re proud of the family?

I have a 9yo boy and a 14yo daughter, and, although the girl, of course, buys her own clothes (and ends up looking like some sort of Sloane Ranger in the process… where did I go wrong? I’m seriously considering a ban on tweed in the summer in my house, and a blanket ban on Burberry!), dressing the boy can be hellishly difficult. He has good enough taste, but finding the clothes he likes (and that don’t look terrible) in kids’ sizes can be so hard. He hates graphic tees, which is one thing, but the kids’ clothing shops in this area seem to sell nothing but for his age.

Heather left a comment on 8/24/2011 at 2:52 PM:

Oh my gosh! They’re so cute!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 12:54 PM:

@Anna—My sons are 8 and 9.

John E. left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 12:41 PM:

@F.E.C.: Cool. Will do on both.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 10:47 AM:

Those kid are cool, @FEC they are really your kids, you dont look old enough to have kids more kids that edge.

Anna left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 6:50 AM:

Those are some sharp-looking kids… I’m impressed. How old are they?

Chris left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 1:09 AM:

They look great, my dear mother dressed me as a prep from the beginning, inspiring my style today.

Mara A. Gosling left a comment on 8/23/2011 at 12:36 AM:

What dapper little gentlemen! How lucky that they have you setting such a stellar example. You must be so proud!

Joey Dee left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 9:49 PM:

I know what you mean about shopping for kids, it can be harrowing, especially the offerings for little girls?! Miles and miles of juicy and ed hary-ish junk, peace signs, butterflies. Thankfully Ralph Lauren, Brooks Bros. Fleece, and J. Crew’s crewcuts still offer practical options.

Raulston left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 7:43 PM:

Gents in training! All excellent wears.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 4:20 PM:

@John E—Yes sir, that was me.  Say hello next time.  Continue to fight the good fight against the graphic tee.

John E. left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 4:04 PM:

Very stylish lads! The dress code at our country club and the dress tradition at our church help my 9-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son to mirror my style somewhat, but left to their own devices, they’re more into graphic T-shirts and jeans. My son does wear some rather prep sweaters in the winter, though, amid the sweatshirts. But they’re both always perfectly presentable, and I can only hope that the style example set by my wife and me will influence them.

Separately, Fred, were you on a 5:36 New Haven Line train out of Grand Central one evening last week, terminating in Harrison? If it wasn’t you, it was a dead ringer, in appearance and style.

Hilton left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 2:21 PM:

Your sons dress better than most “adult” males, Mr. Castleberry. Nice to see that you are raising them to dress like gentlemen.

Desmond K left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 8:04 AM:

I’ll start by saying that the pictures are great. Ur kids look like they’re full of character and personality.

Now, I have a 4yr old boy and 6yr old girl. And while I do agree that shopping for kids is very difficult ( good point on the dress shoes. I just happened to stumble upon a pair of cream and blue saddle shoes from the children’s place about 6 months ago) , it is simply rediculous how hard it is for little girls in particular. Its just an endless sea of pinks, filled with an array of flowers, fairies, and glitter. I swear if it weren’t for Ralph Lauren and the likes, I don’t have a clue what the girl would wear.

JDB left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 7:42 AM:

Baby bucks! You’re doing an excellent job.

Tripp left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 2:19 AM:

your kids are fly

raya left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 1:55 AM:

Your sons look so handsome. Teaching our boy to dress well is one of my motherly missions. Let him not be wearing clothes two sizes too big when he meets his future wife.

• Collection // Black & White

Miscellany  

As a photographer, I am surrounded with photographs that inspire me...my own on rare occasion but, for the most part, others’ work. The adaptation of my inspiration board for Tumblr enables me to quickly cull specific types of images for potential photo-shoots, styling projects, or just simply getting dressed in the morning. I’ve never pulled the trigger on committing to black & white for an entire shoot but this collage is seducing me to do just that.

Aug 16, 2011 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Pranaya Soeraadiningrat left a comment on 8/21/2011 at 1:57 AM:

Black and white photos have always been my favorite. But I wish they weren’t so tricky to execute.
    And indeed, what a stunning photograph of Andy.

GLG left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 7:24 PM:

That picture of Warhol . . . it’s an unspeakably great image.

• ITHF Class of 2011 Induction

Culture | Sports | Miscellany  

Last month I met up with high jinks cohort K. Cooper Ray and Arthur Wayne of Brooks Brothers for Andre Agassi’s induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The grass courts in Newport, RI, aside from being immaculately manicured, are some of the finest and rarest public grass courts in the land—only four other facilities in the States accommodate those without country club membership. After a well rounded luncheon, we all ducked into the Brooks Brothers box for the afternoon to find respite from the heat. Not all guests were so fortunate. Agassi’s speech was heartfelt, the clothes playful, and the Del’s lemonade thirst quenching (thanks for the round Arthur). All around, it was a great day of tennis and for tennis. I wonder who will be in the class of 2012?

Photographed in Newport, RI

Aug 15, 2011 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Annica Benning left a comment on 8/21/2011 at 1:06 AM:

My two favorite fashion icons, FEC & Cooper Ray. Well done.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/19/2011 at 10:44 AM:

@Tim—Only original Del’s for me…unfortunately they did not have any pretzel rods.

J. Prep Lee left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 9:20 PM:

Killah layout… I really like the pic of K. Ray looking back at the photo. Tight…

Cheers,
    J. Lee

http://preplee.com
    http://preplee.com/2011/08/18/morning-paris/

Tim left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 6:44 PM:

Del’s! That’s what I’m talkin’ bout. It better be the original and not the watermelon or blue crap!  Nice photos, I was bummed I could not make it.  Classy outfit as well.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 3:36 PM:

@Randy—Yes, my glasses are Total Wits by Eyebobs.

Randy left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 3:05 PM:

I love your posts.  I was actually wondering which model Eyebobs frames you converted to real glasses?  Was it the Total Wit?

Eustace Tilley left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 12:37 PM:

I’m lucky that I can walk to the Hall of Fame, the Newport Creamery, the Redwood, the Reading Room and Brooks Brothers.  They pretty much cover my basic needs.  Thanks again for the great pictures.

Theri left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 9:50 AM:

I think the hydrangeas look amazing… you’ve made me want to visit Newport sooner than I planned!

AEV left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 7:22 AM:

Really great pics…Newport (and the Tennis Hall of Fame) is a special place indeed.

c.e. left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 2:24 AM:

awesome pictures, what camera do you use?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 6:47 PM:

@Desmond K—America’s public grass courts.

Desmond K left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 6:28 PM:

The melancholy inside me just has to know; where are the other 4 courts located?

Tripp left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 6:13 PM:

i was there too! not in a box though. it pays to have friends in high places

• Wardrobe IX

Dress Code  

1. Dooney & Bourke canvas tote
    2. Talbot’s eyelet short
    3. J.Crew leather wedge
    4. Banana Republic headband
    5. Hand-knotted pearl necklace (mom’s)
    6. Kate Spade iPhone case
    7. Tory Leather Company equestrian belt

Tory Leather is one of the few manufacturers left in the United States who uses American leather and old world American craftsmen in the making of their products. Though mainly a manufacturer for the equestrian industry, they make belts as well...and in particular, this classic raised belt. What’s more? They’re only $23 at Horse Tack Co.

8. J.Crew cardigan
    9. Lobster brooch (thrifted)

Much like lapel pins on men, I appreciate a woman sporting a vintage brooch. I’m always compelled to introduce myself.

10. J.Crew ruffled shirt

Aug 12, 2011 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Shelby left a comment on 8/22/2011 at 10:52 PM:

Love the women’s posts!

Rowboats left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 10:37 AM:

This outfit is perfect - I adore the lobster brooch! Brooches are great, probably some of my favorite things my grandmother left for me. I love the Americana in the outfit also!

Natalie left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 9:18 PM:

I love that you featured the eyelet shorts from Talbots. I have them in navy and pair it with a crisp white button down and TB wedges.

Hannah left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 3:36 PM:

I adore this outfit!

Tracey left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 3:21 PM:

I love that you’ve done another women’s collection. Please keep them coming! And thanks for letting us know about the belt - I am off to their website now.

Blondie, Esq. left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 1:34 PM:

I love everything about this!

• Stepping Down

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY courtesy of Evan Tetreault

Noteworthy: engraved sterling silver engine turn buckle, J.McLaughlin skinny stripe pima cotton polo, Caran d'Ache metal collection ballpoint pen.

Aug 11, 2011 | Permalink (25) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 3:45 PM:

@Brooks—The jeans are Rugby.

Brooks left a comment on 6/4/2012 at 5:01 PM:

Are the trousers Levi’s? Great fit.

Georges left a comment on 5/2/2012 at 12:56 AM:

@FEC -> The shoes, is it this pair by any chance? http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11828818

Desiree left a comment on 1/30/2012 at 12:01 PM:

VERY JFK Jr. I love it!!!

jordanwiner left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 1:48 AM:

FE you’re the man…. for patches, always choose plaid (:

Mike left a comment on 8/19/2011 at 11:05 AM:

Thank you very much for the great advice.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/19/2011 at 10:43 AM:

@Mike—While this is certainly a personal choice, I tuck my polos in with a slimmer fitting trouser.  If I’m wearing a roomier chino/short I’ll sloppily tuck it in at the front and let the day determine the rest.  I do always prefer to show some belt though.

Mike left a comment on 8/19/2011 at 2:29 AM:

Should a polo shirt always be tucked into ones trousers.

Plain T-Shirt left a comment on 8/18/2011 at 11:24 AM:

Great look.  I need some inspiration for my white pants.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 6:43 PM:

@Katherine & Timmy—The occasional hole in one’s garments—especially at the knees and elbows—is not all that uncommon and very preppy.  I just need to find a suitable patch now…

Katherine left a comment on 8/17/2011 at 6:23 PM:

Gosh, I didn’t even notice the rip in the jeans until now. Not really my thing to be completely honest. I would rather stay inside than wear ripped jeans anywhere. But sans rip they are superb.

trip left a comment on 8/15/2011 at 11:38 AM:

Was the title of this post just some sort of pun, or are you actually stepping down from this blog?

AEV left a comment on 8/15/2011 at 8:12 AM:

I don’t mind this….though I prefer classic polo style shirts w/o pockets and with banded sleeves. I, like @Timmy, am curious what the rip in the pants is all about. Pant painting calamity? Pocket knife mishap? A slot for a frontal knee hankerchief? Oh, I joke…..

Timmy left a comment on 8/15/2011 at 12:59 AM:

why are the pants ripped?

BKR left a comment on 8/14/2011 at 8:05 PM:

Oh my gosh, I always love your posts! Your blog and Cultivated Quality are such similar and great blogs. Keep up the good work.

ATH left a comment on 8/13/2011 at 4:54 PM:

What kind of watch is that?

exceedinglypreppy.blogspot.com

Katherine left a comment on 8/13/2011 at 4:04 AM:

Love the white jeans! And the rest too, but especially the jeans.

Josh B left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 5:59 PM:

I was on the fence about that exact polo, but the fit seems on point.  Thanks for the post.

Emily left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 4:02 PM:

Great shot! I love the shoes and the white pants.

-Emily (www.urbanadventurer.com/blog)

khordkutta left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 1:50 PM:

Nicely done, nicely done.

G.O.S left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 11:56 AM:

Is there any rule about when to tuck a polo or not ?
    It seems quite old-man’ish but FEC looks great here

Kionon left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 11:16 AM:

I could never pull off the white jeans look without making me look like I escaped the worst part of the early 90s fashion disaster. FEC always manages it so well.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 9:55 AM:

@Thomas—Ralph Lauren, made in Maine.

Thomas left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 8:45 AM:

Nice shoes. Are those C&J?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 8/12/2011 at 7:25 AM:

Looking good ol’ chum.

Very skinny belt is a nice touch.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

• Newer Posts Older Posts