• Wish You Whale

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: cuffed critter chinos, Thom Browne blue blazer, overall silhouette/fit is a personal favorite of mine.

Sep 9, 2011 | Permalink (22) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 10:38 AM:

@AEV—I can only speak of my personal observations in regards to this and I get around quite a bit…so I can speak with some authority on this: critter pants (in a GTH color no less) are still very hard to come by.

AEV left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 9:24 AM:

Fred - the reason these sorts of pants (and madras shorts, fashion-y boat shoes, do-daddy bracelets, fake vintage/worn items, etc.) are more readily available is exactly because more people are buying and wearing them. If they didn’t sell, an increasingly long list of shops wouldn’t carry them. “GTH” suggests an item is unique and risky - there’s little risky about wearing the same stuff as everyone else….or in retailers copying one another.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 10:42 PM:

@AEV—The fact that more places sell these type of pants may tarnish the appeal of the “go-to-hell” pant for some but in my personal observation, just because they are more readily available does not necessarily mean more men are wearing them.  It really takes a certain type of man to still wear them.

@DTC—These particular pants are from Brooks Brothers.

AEV left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 10:35 PM:

@DTC - you can buy embroidered pants like this from numerous places, including Brooks Bros., Murray’s Toggery Shop, J. Crew, Gant, RL, L.L. Bean Signature, Orvis, occasionally J. Press, and, I’m guessing, even Abercrombie and American Eagle. The ones in this profile appear to be from Castaway.

In my humble opinion, the fact that you can now buy pants like this in dozens of places ruins the appeal, cheapens the look, and makes them far, far less “GTH”.

DTC left a comment on 9/19/2011 at 5:59 PM:

@mars; I’d say GTH is acceptable year ‘round, fabric appropriate.

and as for every other aspect of this look, it is simply perfect. wish I knew where to get those pants!

Glenn left a comment on 9/13/2011 at 5:55 AM:

With current floods in the north east the trousers are the perfect inseam length!

Desmond K left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 8:51 PM:

Kinda looks like he could pass as an young oriental Nick Wooster.

MGM left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 3:57 PM:

I think I would like the pants a lot more if they were slimmer and hit right at the top of the shoe.  Loud embroidered pants need to fit perfectly, otherwise they just look silly on me.  Thanks for posting.

Kionon left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Is he wearing his tie bar crooked? If so, kudos to the smallest detail.

AEV left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 7:08 AM:

@Daniel - I saw that yesterday too and chuckled. I read this line: “... ‘authentic’ is enjoying renewed popularity in an age of online social networking and dating, in which people are cultivating digital versions of themselves.” and the cast of characters on here certainly came to mind. ‘Digital versions’ indeed. ....all sort of really, really weird if you ask me.

Daniel left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 11:33 PM:

@ AEV, just read this article and couldn’t resist posting it in re: your comment
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/fashion/for-only-the-authentic-cultural-studies.html?src=recg

tim left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 10:15 PM:

Those shoes…sensational.

C.L. Young left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 8:55 PM:

I WANT PANTS LIKE THOSE!!! Totally GTH and I like the “va te faire foutre” persona. I agree with Robert I. Brown. Being creative in the art of dressing keeps things interesting and adds a sense of personalization that brings character to the individual and his or her style.

mars ocho left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 9:47 PM:

yes i agree, prepdom should be left to the province of the Betsys, Skips and DAR members of the world . . .  that’s what this blog is all about after all.

AEV left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 9:12 PM:

Appears to be the Why You Mad? blog guy, yes? While I’d wear almost nothing he’s even in, I’ve always really appreciated his creativity and authenticity…..

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 8:12 PM:

I think, like FEC has said in previous postings, that it’s regional?  In DC it is still quite warm/hottish, I wouldn’t even blink if I saw this gent. walk by. 
      I think in New Hampshire or Maine I think this look might get a few “looks”, but, really, who cares.  This man looks confident enough to pull anything off quite frankly.

Dex left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 1:40 PM:

@ mars ocho: I wear coloured chinos and white bucks till Halloween usually, the seersucker and white pants I put away after labour day. But lets be honest how many of the cargo short wearing masses are going to call you out on the white pants after labour day?

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 1:16 PM:

I love this look. Bravo, from head to toe.

Tripp Potts left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 12:33 PM:

I HAVE THOSE PANTS!!!!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 11:45 AM:

Dying over these pants!!!  Love.

mars ocho left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 11:04 AM:

curious to see what the consensus thinks: is wearing GTH pants of this variety akin to wearing white after labor day?

Robert I. Brown left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 9:58 AM:

This look shines light on creativity/individualism as a whole. The youth’s got it.

• Real Men Wear Pink

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: Rex Cashmere monogrammed sweater*, JvdF tie wrap bracelet, monogrammed sterling silver engine turn buckle, alligator watch strap.

*courtesy of Queen of Cashmere

Sep 8, 2011 | Permalink (30) View/Leave Comments

Eliza left a comment on 11/7/2011 at 7:47 PM:

love.

Alice Gividen left a comment on 11/4/2011 at 4:43 PM:

your trousers are simply divine. also the penny loafers work so well- do you think that, as a girl, I can wear them or are they perhaps to masculine? or should i stick to my brogues?

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 9/14/2011 at 11:34 PM:

I don’t love the painting chinos but you really really look very nice, very strong, this is the best example that clothes that actually fits does.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 4:12 PM:

@J.P.—Oh, right…that’s creativity, imagination, a sense of humor…

@Daniel & AEV—I don’t value time as much as others may.  I like the high/low of a Timex with a cashmere sweater and $500 penny loafers.  That is my point of view on fashion.  I appreciate the mix of high quality pieces and more affordable accessories.  On that note, if you do know anyone who wants to just gift me a vintage 60s Omega Seamaster, I’ll certainly wear it.  In the meantime, I’ll continue to rack up the scratches on my Easy Reader.

J.P. left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 9:58 AM:

I think there’s something on your pants.

AEV left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 8:49 AM:

@Daniel—The sweater was a gift from his friend at Queen of Cashmere. If someone gave him a nice watch, he’d wear it.

matthew langley left a comment on 9/12/2011 at 8:42 AM:

A quick thought about the pants. Overall I wear pants with paint on them because, I paint and a lot of what I wear gets paint on it even though I actually have “studio clothes”.  Oil paint on clothes is usually not so purposeful - the paint is smeared and dripped but what seems to be missing is that grayish patina that happens when dirty solvents sit with paint on cloth. It’s kind of odd to explain but it becomes more casual and there is an indifference to it. But at the end of the day, I’m missing that patina on the pant.

Of course none of that matters if you like it, and I think you do, so wear them out and enjoy.

Daniel left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 11:31 PM:

A timex and an $800 sweater? Fred, do you not value time?

C.L. Young left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 8:28 PM:

The chinos are smashing! Is the watch a Timex? I have been thinking of replacing my Timex watch strap with an alligator strap to add a bit of luxe since I am not much of a jewelry type of guy. I like this style…traditional, yet with a bit of avant garde just to keep them intrigued! Love it!!!

Elizabeth left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 4:30 PM:

Whenever you post pictures of yourself I am reminded of my grandpa.  Your dress is so dapper, and you wear your glasses and half-smile just like he did.  Dunno why I’m sharing, I guess this just brings back old memories for me

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 1:42 AM:

@Alex—My chinos are Gant by Michael Bastian.

alex left a comment on 9/10/2011 at 1:38 AM:

Where are the chinos from. Thanks.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 10:19 PM:

@CHC—Try a 1 3/4” cuff on some of your new chinos.  Avoid a break.  Good luck.

CHC left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 5:03 PM:

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the merits of cuffing your khakis. I’m into the prep aesthetic and about to buy some new chinos but I’m not sure about whether I should cuff them or not.

Thoughts?

Kels left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 2:58 PM:

I love the monogram cash and the shoes are always a classic. Keep it up.

cam left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 2:50 PM:

thanks for the post fred. i love the monogram on the shoulder! i don’t mind the paint if you like it. just imagine how dashing this would be however sans paint…

pat left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 2:08 PM:

If you read about Picasso and the gang in Paris in the Thirties you will discover them describing how they searched used clothing stores for just the right “artist look”. I recommend,“Paris was Our Mistress” by Samuel Putnam.  In this case I don’t think anyone is going to be tricked into thinking that this gentleman is trying to pass himself off as an artiste.

Pedro left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 1:04 PM:

Looks good to me, but not sure about the pants; could this consider a new form of “go to hell” pant?

mars ocho left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 12:34 PM:

as pat’s comment suggest, its a tricky proposition to launch an attack on the basis of authenticity because it will always be a tough call to figure out where the line will be drawn.  e.g., does company x have sufficient heritage cred?  how many years in business is needed to to qualify?  are the products made in the USA?  by craftsman in Maine?  by hand?  etc.  although its not in any way more inherently objective (and i certainly understand why some like to buy made in the USA), i’ll stick with aesthetics.  at the end of the day, its either pleasing to the eye or not, right?

Richard left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 12:27 PM:

F. E., you do great photography and some marvelous wardrobing (that I’ve happily copied), but this not for me.

pat left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 10:48 AM:

Should be obvious that it’s just a fun style.

http://www.stylerevue.com/ left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 10:40 AM:

I love the look and the photo.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 10:10 AM:

I normally hate paint splattered paints but knowing you did these yourself makes them become absurd to becoming art. Cool to see them somewhat “dressed up.”

mars ocho left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 9:17 AM:

love the fit.

AEV left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 8:49 AM:

Love the color of the sweater, the fit of the pants, and the loafers.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 8:30 AM:

Love the colour of the sweater.

matt left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 8:20 AM:

Love the blog but $800 for the sweater?  Not sure I would go there.

tarik left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 7:53 AM:

nice meeting last night at the Rugby-bleeker store!  Thanks for introducing me to Lee Norwood.  I love the new Rugby store.  I was surprised that you did not have your camera

Paul left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 6:55 AM:

I like that the controversial painted pants are making another appearance. I think they look great!

Jeremiah Simmons left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 6:54 AM:

Loving those trousers my friend. Well done.

• Chalk It Up

Dress Code  

Bleecker Street recently welcomed a couple new residents this last weekend, Rugby’s men’s and women’s shops. I’ve spent the last few days casing the joints, talking with the staff, and checking out the new custom shirting program (more on that to come). Lynton and I caught up with each other on his way out of the women’s boutique. As you may recognize, I’ve photographed him before. I appreciate his consistent use of depth in his style and, in this particular look, his reliance on blues. Every guy looks great in navy. Even more, the use of stripes in various widths lengthens his silhouette while leading the eye up to his face.

Noteworthy: needlepoint Prince Albert slippers, Rugby chalk stripe jacket, no break in his denim.

Sep 7, 2011 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 9/14/2011 at 9:53 AM:

People shoud be taking notes from this guy; notes on how to mix it up, while keeping things grounded. Thanks for always guiding giving ideas.

Docks left a comment on 9/9/2011 at 9:47 AM:

Lynton is steezy. Also came across the Rugby Haberdashery just two days ago by pure chance and got to meet him and the others working the shop.

I think the biggest hurdle is the confidence; that lets you pull off any ensemble.  Lynton, can’t be defined solely by the parameters of a brand.

FEC, I was going to shoot you an email about this Tuesday when I first found out about it to make sure you did as well . . . also met the Men of Habit at Paul Stuart last night who mentioned you might be around.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/8/2011 at 5:19 PM:

@AEV—It can be difficult to discern if someone on staff of a fashion company truly has style when they have a day off.  I’ve spent enough time around Lynton to know that he does.  How he walks into work is how he walks into his weekend.

AEV left a comment on 9/8/2011 at 10:39 AM:

Fred,

Fair enough….but, there is a Grand Canyon size gap between dressing ‘boring’ and dressing like a cartoon character. I agree that there may be differing opinions about where the over doing it ‘line’ is, but I don’t think this particular outfit - with numerous, over thought affectations is debatable. And, while this gent may dress to suit his personality, clothing choices are also outward expressions that give others very clear impressions….

And, of course, as is frequently the case when you showcase a fashion designer’s sales reps, it’s hard to discern where one’s individual style starts and the fashion designer’s overt influence and style choices/rules end. Is dressing in head to toe Ralph Lauren, when you work at Ralph Lauren, really dressing with individual, characteristic style?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/8/2011 at 10:28 AM:

@SC—I shot this a could days ago.  Yes, it has been wet and much cooler lately.  The rain happened to let up for a spell this day.

@SK—The break is where your pants fall on your shoes, creating a horizontal crease in the fabric across the front of your pant leg. It is simply a result of the length of your pants.  99% of the time I advocate “no-break” and and even shorter for myself.  It’s classic prep style 101.  But more importantly, there is function behind it: it creates the illusion of height (or additional height if you already have it).  I know very few men who wish to be perceived shorter.

@DBCC—The jacket is a 3/2 roll.

@AEV—Where one sees “overdoing it”, others see “personality/creativity”.  The same could be said for the guy who under—does it.  How often is that guy viewed as boring, or uninteresting?  It’s the ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder argument.’  The article in GQ is a valid one…but the decision on what is overdoing it is ultimately a personal one for each man.  As I mentioned above, depth is characteristic of his style.

SC left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 7:21 PM:

When did you shoot this? It has been raining like crazy in New York!

cam left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 4:28 PM:

I’ve seen him here before.

SK left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 4:20 PM:

Fred, what do you mean with the “break” in the jeans?

DBCC left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 3:19 PM:

@FEC - great shot.  Love the jacket.  Is it two or three button?

I do favor the slippers, sans the motif.

AEV left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 3:08 PM:

Fred, Thanks for clarifying - I’m no more surprised that ‘it works for you’ than I’m guessing you are that ‘it doesn’t work for me’....ha ha.

There is an interesting, short piece in the current GQ about the importance of, in essence, not ‘overdoing it’ - meaning, if you’ve chosen to dress for attention then it’s important not to triple or quadruple the style affectations - e.g., cuffed jeans and ironic slippers and a suit jacket as a blazer and a bow tie and contrasting stripes between your shirt and jacket, and so on. I know this guy is dressing/paid to sell Ralph Lauren ‘looks’—so, I get it.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 2:46 PM:

@AEV—Yes, the spread collar is a contrasting stripe/color.  It’s an interesting interpretation but works for me here.

AEV left a comment on 9/7/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Does the shirt have contrasting stripes on the (spread) collar?

• The Better You Dress

Top Drawer | Miscellany  

Sep 6, 2011 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Vic Delta left a comment on 1/29/2012 at 7:35 PM:

Can you imagine waking up in jail wearing cargo shorts and flip flops?
    Spinning out of control in an airliner headed tail
    first back to earth…..wearing an outfit made by Nike?
    I think about these things when I go out.

Maxime left a comment on 9/24/2011 at 6:03 PM:

That’s why I make it a point of honour to wear a jacket and a tie when I go get drunk.

Kelsey left a comment on 9/14/2011 at 4:42 PM:

My yearbook page-mate and I chose this as our quote, with credit to you of course!

Richard Ross left a comment on 9/8/2011 at 4:51 PM:

This is too true. I am so glad I discovered this while still in my mischievous years.

• Khaki: Cut From the Original Cloth

Music & Books  

“In these pages, khakis dance, serve correctness, relax, and, most of all, make us feel like they and we belong. These images feel so good you almost want to touch them, like the tactile satisfaction of a most favored pair of worn khakis.”

—Richard Martin

Chinos are at the bedrock of the prep-set wardrobe, and culture, for that matter. Seven to eight pair, in a scad of hues, are crammed into my chest at any given time. I know gentlemen that have literally never owned any other pant. From prep school to business casual, chinos all they’ve known and all they care to know. Khaki: Cut from the Original Cloth pays tribute to the ongoing love affair numerous American subcultures, including preppies, have with chinos. Everyone from Einstein to the Kennedy brothers to Pablo Picasso to fighter pilots live on in earthy black and white photographs by the likes of Annie Leibovitz, Linda McCartney, and Henri Cartier-Bresson to name just a few. Save an introductory essay, the book conveys a touching history on the merits of photographs alone. The result feels as good, if not better than, that perfect pair.

Sep 2, 2011 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

elle & em left a comment on 9/6/2011 at 8:20 PM:

We can’t wait to break out our khaki pants for fall!

patgig left a comment on 9/6/2011 at 11:48 AM:

That’s Dirk Bogarde in the photo. Interesting man.

COOL SQUARE left a comment on 9/6/2011 at 8:00 AM:

NICE SHOOT!

follow us on http://www.coolsquare.blogspot.com

or on facebook COOL SQUARE

or on twitter COOL_SQUARE a new kind of fashion blog , fashion on the street

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/6/2011 at 12:49 AM:

I’m looking forward to the follow-up volumes: Flannel, Worsted, and Corduroy.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

stockton andrews II left a comment on 9/5/2011 at 7:20 PM:

I’m partial to the British shade myself.

Jason left a comment on 9/5/2011 at 1:47 PM:

I live in chinos.  Khaki, navy, go-to-hell of various ilks.  I have one pair of jeans that I wear occasionally, but other than that it’s chinos for me.

Desmond K left a comment on 9/5/2011 at 6:15 AM:

A pair of great fitting chinos are appropriate for every occasion except a fall/winter wedding in my opinion.

• Newer Posts Older Posts