• It’s a Plaid Plaid World

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Glen plaid suit (notice the patch pockets), repp stripe tie in a autumnal fabric, no belt for a cleaner silhouette.

Sep 23, 2011 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Jon left a comment on 11/8/2011 at 11:02 PM:

Maybe it’s just me, but the jacket appears to be extremely long. I like the look though.

N.W Boysenberry left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 12:59 PM:

I love the Prince Of Wales

r.b. candleberry left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 12:53 PM:

It’s a prince of wales check… not a plaid

Docks left a comment on 10/2/2011 at 1:11 PM:

Looks incredibly similar to an outfit I saw Brad Goreski on the street in a few weeks back.

lily left a comment on 9/29/2011 at 3:52 AM:

BRAD! i love it.
    fancy [no]pants

robdarko left a comment on 9/28/2011 at 9:58 AM:

I have a terrible time with Aviators.  They always end up looking facacta on my melon.  RB’s are always choice.

AEV left a comment on 9/28/2011 at 9:52 AM:

@BMOC - you know that style of sunglasses is sold by numerous companies, from Ray-Ban to Randolph Engineering to RL to Persol…to dozens of other knock off brands, yes?.....in short, a stylish aviator is not hard to find.

BMOC left a comment on 9/27/2011 at 1:05 PM:

Again with those sunglasses. I love THEM and want to know the brand. Fred the next time you see Brad, please ask him.

John H. left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 11:56 PM:

Hey Fred,

Haven’t commented on here for awhile, but have been admiring from afar. Keep up the good work. Just like to let you know I’ve gotten my first pair of Bean Boots, 6” Brown. Hope you can follow my tumblr as well, http://aloysius-holland.tumblr.com/

Thank you!

Ace G. left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 10:27 PM:

He has the same iPhone case as me.

ciara left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 6:26 PM:

I love blue shirts with grey plaid. Very mature and distinguished looking.

Desmond K left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 3:32 PM:

Love the textured tie,

• Watch Out Bellow

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: linen/silk herringbone blazer with bellows pockets, perfect sleeve length.

Sep 22, 2011 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

SB Nichols left a comment on 9/29/2011 at 2:54 PM:

The cut of that jacket is perfect. Does anyone know who made it?

Mark left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 2:46 PM:

Love this look. Perfect combination of colors. Though I have to agree with Desmond K — wingtips would finish this perfectly.

John E. left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 2:31 PM:

Definitely a good look.

@WMM—Those are jeans he’s wearing.

Niles left a comment on 9/26/2011 at 2:19 PM:

I like the look and fit of pretty much everything. It may just be the angle, but it appears that if his top button were in fact buttoned, his shirt would cut off breathing functions.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/24/2011 at 10:44 AM:

@colm o—I will piggy back on AEV’s sound advice.  With such a basic uniform as you are talking about, fit is paramount.  Keep your chinos slim (and straight from the knee down).  That isn’t too tall of an order these days since Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Rugby, Club Monaco, J.Crew, etc all offer slim varieties.  Also, I personally recommend cutting the break from your pants…and even going a little higher if that’s your speed.  Since you’re in college, pair it with a pair of Bass Weejun ($100) penny loafers or tassel loafers.  That foundation will take you through the entire year of classes.

Every Man's Closet left a comment on 9/24/2011 at 9:39 AM:

Oooh, that soft jacket is delicious! It looks like an unstructured, actual camel hair sport coat!

colm o left a comment on 9/24/2011 at 5:00 AM:

@AEV - thanks for the advice. I only have tan chinos but will keep an eye out for a darker colour. Being a poor college student makes dressing well a bit harder!

AEV left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 5:17 PM:

@colm o - I’d say a white, button down collar oxford shirt works fine with chinos (the darker the better - navy blue chinos, for instance, would look great paired with white up top). If you go with white and tan, try a colored/patterned belt - perhaps a Leatherman Ltd variety - to break up the lighter colors.

colm o left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 4:49 PM:

Hey FEC, love the blog! Question for you (or anyone else) that has been vexing me for some time now.  A white shirt with chinos, good, bad or indifferent? Should the chinos be darker or would be faded ok?

EBD left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 2:22 PM:

Outfit- preppy. Sideburns- NOT preppy.

WMM left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 9:57 AM:

Pink and green in true prep fashion. Good look.

Jeans or dark navy slacks?

Clay Randall left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 9:45 AM:

Quality club tie and blazer combination. Well done.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 8:45 AM:

Great skinny kid photo. Love the shirt, tie, and jacket.

Michael left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 8:36 AM:

Doesn’t the low rise in his pants make his torso look really long, though?

Desmond K left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 3:29 AM:

What??? No wingtips???? Well instead of a perfect 10, this guy only gets a 9.6, lol. Great shot.

• Girl Power

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: A beautiful woman in a three piece power suit is, for all intents and purposes, a sartorial unicorn.  Mythical in nature, a figment of one's imagination—unnatural even.  The contradiction of a woman's silhouette in a man's uniform is powerful, feminine, and all together mesmerizing.

Sep 21, 2011 | Permalink (25) View/Leave Comments

tradd left a comment on 10/22/2011 at 11:57 AM:

outside the RL fashion show….the only place this look works.  Trying to catch Ralph’s eye perhaps.  Very Ricky Lauren.

Jesse left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 5:59 PM:

I’m fairly sure this is a Ralph Lauren Collection runway look, straight out of a rig book from head to toe…

Docks left a comment on 10/2/2011 at 1:18 PM:

Agreed, mesmerizing. Particularly how she does bend her apparent ramrod personality to allow the slight acknowledgement of her femininity in reversing the typical order ... unbuttoning the topmost button of the waistcoat and leaving the lowest buttoned.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/28/2011 at 6:25 PM:

@Sarah—You have to know this woman was wearing heels.

Kenneth left a comment on 9/25/2011 at 6:35 PM:

The woman behind her in the stripes looks good.

Sarah left a comment on 9/24/2011 at 3:30 PM:

I think it works IF she has heels on. Otherwise, I just see it as really dapper cross-dressing.

john left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 7:11 PM:

has a wow factor

Elizabeth left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 12:19 AM:

Nice! If it were me in this suit, however, I’d have gone for a white shirt, too. I’m really curious about her shoes as well.

JLT left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 10:03 PM:

I love how unaffected her hair is….she let’s the man’s suit do all the talking.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 8:38 PM:

So…when is your book coming out? ;-)

Simon left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 12:41 PM:

At the risk of sounding old school, I really dislike the effect: A woman can be ‘suited up’ in women’s clothes. I have to admit the suit in itself looks really good though.

Nik left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 11:31 AM:

LOVE this description: “The contradiction of a woman’s silhouette in a man’s uniform…”

APM left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 10:00 AM:

I’m diggin’ the bag. The suit looks great, as does the woman, but the bag sets it off. Perhaps it is how the contents are laying in it that does it. Not sure.

Paul left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 7:01 AM:

I’d love to see what kind of shoes she’s wearing with that suit.

barbour left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 3:10 AM:

So cool,i like it.T That expression as well as the no-nonsense locks make her lookup like she suggests business.

fashionstyle left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 8:52 PM:

They look so cool…

Tito left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 8:39 PM:

This woman puts a lot of males to shame!
    My RESPECTS!

Matt left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 8:16 PM:

I LOVE it, and I think EVERYTHING you do is BRILLIANT.

Dex left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 8:11 PM:

Are we moving back to the androgyny of the 80’s that I am too young to remember? I don’t get it… It just seems awkward to me since I have pretty much the exact same suit, shirt and tie… Oh yeah and where is her quarter inch of cuff? JK

khordkutta left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 7:54 PM:

Im confused in a good way

Tim left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 6:49 PM:

All business.  I also love the facial expression of the girl in the background.  Was the shot between the two men planned?  Very smart.

Dalevy left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 6:42 PM:

She is stunning. The pony tail, pocket square, and bag are perfect. Smart look.

Daniel left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 6:13 PM:

This is striking! That expression and the no-nonsense hair make her look like she means business.

MMV left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 5:57 PM:

Like it.  I would have sported a plain white shirt for more effect. Earrings are a great touch.

Wade M. Kilbarger left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 4:58 PM:

This. Is. Brilliant.

• Taxi!

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Noteworthy: heraldic club striped tie, wingtips (sans socks), paint splattered jean and chalk stripe blazer on her, chivalry.

Sep 20, 2011 | Permalink (23) View/Leave Comments

Valerista left a comment on 9/23/2011 at 9:36 AM:

I love that you put “chivalry” on the list! I’m not certain about the paint-splattered jeans, but I love her jacket and shoes. Yes, I think I’m getting that pinstriped blazer after all.

sticheau left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 11:52 AM:

I do like his shoes and his eyeglass frames (Moscot?) very much.

barbour left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 3:13 AM:

The gentleman’s look itself is nice.That is really an amazing picture.

Sarah left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 12:33 AM:

@FEC You’re totally right. I didn’t even think to check.

Zach left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 11:06 PM:

I think this gentleman’s look offers a lot in terms of how clothes should fit.  Take notes, boys.

AEV left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 10:21 PM:

Interesting photo. That said, it appears to be nearly head to toe RL, which makes me fairly certain the emblems on the tie are as fake as the trying-to-appear- authentically-worn-in ‘paint/bleach’ look of the jeans. In my opinion, the jeans ruin her otherwise smart, tailored look. I, for one, have a hard time classifying faux worn in items as ‘creative’ or ‘risky’, but I can understand the desire of people who wear such stuff to believe doing so is both.

AEV left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 10:09 PM:

“Just because you’re offended, doesn’t mean you’re right.” -Ricky Gervais

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 9:15 PM:

@CNN—The inspiration can come from any number of origins.  I can’t speak of the inspiration behind these particular pair of denim, but I can tell you a pair of chinos I made were inspired by the lifestyles of Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol.  This is fashion…fashion requires risk…it requires imagination.

CNN left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 9:09 PM:

What is the inspiration behind dirty pants? (I am genuinely curious) To me they are the equivalent of ripped jeans—which is equally unforgivable. I was always taught that if you stain your pants you wash them, and if you cannot get it out they become Sunday housework/gardening clothes.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 6:06 PM:

@Stet—Among other things, this photograph lets everyone in on the vicinity of where I was coming from in creating my painted chinos.

John left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 10:31 AM:

Excellent. Notice the low button stance on his jacket. Trend proof.

Tito left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 7:49 AM:

This is the kind of photography I like sir. you’re back FEC!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 7:42 PM:

Great shot!

She’s obviously very attractive, and because of this I can forgive her the striped odd jacket and splattered (with what?!) denim trousers. She has Great Hair.

As for the chap…well, I think he’s spot-on. The spread collar is to die for. Even his haircut is wonderful. Classic, with a hint of menace. Well done.

FEC, you’re definitely giving Sart a run for his money. This is what Sart’s site looked like in the beginning, before he sold out.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

Stet left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 6:03 PM:

Let’s be honest, FEC posted this solely to validate his paint-splattered khakis against the naysayers…

pat left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 5:56 PM:

Ah, a pretty woman gets away with the paint spattered pants without a single complaint. You sexist dogs.

Non left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 4:47 PM:

The gentleman’s look itself is nice.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 3:23 PM:

Is really an amazing picture. I love everything the activity the clothes, the shoes.
    @Sarah and @FEC the most polite should be open the door for her and go to other side and get in to the cab. He looks like a man who knows about this.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 1:46 PM:

Love this photo so much! Every single bit of it.

CHC left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 1:34 PM:

Look more like a couple, rich but not in the fashion industry, to me.

Excellent photo, one of my favorites. The whole thing is perfect.

Does the heraldry mean something or is the tie just decorative?

Ace left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 1:15 PM:

I always like to imagine the backstory with these photos.  She looks like a early 40s former model now working for a fashion mag and he is one of her co-workers (and her best friend).

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 1:05 PM:

@Sarah—I wholeheartedly agree; however, in this case, notice the gentleman is putting her in street side.  He would go on to shut the door and enter in the cab himself curb side.  He got the door for the girl and didn’t make her slide over.

Sarah left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 12:58 PM:

great looks!

Just an FYI- men should always climb into the cab first (counterintutive, I know), so the lady doesn’t have to scoot to the other end of the cab (particularly challenging in a skirt).

mars ocho left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 12:44 PM:

great photo, great look

• Tweed Investment

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: repp stripe tie, tweed vest, engine turn belt.

Sep 19, 2011 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

John left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 7:35 PM:

Looking for a vest like this.

barbour left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 3:14 AM:

He looks so cafard.

Daniel left a comment on 9/21/2011 at 2:25 PM:

Classic Rugby.

MGM left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 5:46 PM:

This is a great look.  Club collar, tweed vest. repp stripe tie, dark wash jeans.  Very nice.

@wm_adams left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 4:22 PM:

A vest should hit just below the waistline. Of course, if the “waistline” of your pants is more like a hipline (see above pic), that means your shirt will show underneath.

cam left a comment on 9/20/2011 at 10:43 AM:

@fec - the vest is very nice. i have always wondered where the vest should hit to be considered a “proper” fit. i have heard differing points of view on this and would like to hear yours. thanks

• Newer Posts Older Posts