• The Rugby Tweed Run 2011

Top Drawer | Style | Culture  

It’s a brisk Saturday morning on the corner of University Place and East 12th. A quintessential autumn day in New York is the backdrop for the first ever Rugby Tweed Run. It’s as if Mother Nature herself registered to cycle around the Big Apple (it’s been raining the last two days). Every rendition of tweed imaginable, and interpretations I didn’t even think possible, mingle about in a sea of browns, olives, and grays. The first group of riders take off amidst the quizzical expressions of tourists and on-lookers.

Live music and dancing breaks out on the corner of Rugby’s flagship shop, tea by Jeeves and Jericho and biscuits by Woolmark are served up while ice cream by Van Leeuwen is handed out freely. Prizes for best dressed and best mustache were awarded while Murdock Barbers provided barber grooming and Brooks polishing for their beloved saddles.

The Tweed Run began as a group bicycle ride through the center of London, where cyclists were expected to dress in traditional British cycling attire. Since its inaugural ride three years ago, various other tweed rides, adopting a similar format have popped in other cities including Chicago, Sydney, Tokyo, Boston Pescara (Italy), and Florence among others. Rugby not only designed a capsule collection for The Rugby Tweed Run but brought the metropolitan bicycle ride with a bit of style to New York.

Photographed in New York, NY

*As always, most of these images can be shared via Tumblr at Collection by F.E. Castleberry.

Oct 17, 2011 | Permalink (31) View/Leave Comments

caren left a comment on 1/7/2012 at 5:10 PM:

Came across your post via Pinterest & am just mad about all the tweedy goodness here! Love the style.

Jen Whalen left a comment on 11/10/2011 at 5:27 PM:

TWEED RUN NEW YORK video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gCTRzVr0w

New York Muhtari left a comment on 10/31/2011 at 7:55 AM:

Hi,

I was looking at the Rugby event photos and come across your website. I loved all your photos but I could not help but notice that we took similar shots. (yours are more beutiful I might add).

Dido

josh left a comment on 10/27/2011 at 10:36 AM:

I retract my earlier comment, I was being a snobby loser. these lads and ladies are just dressing up and having a good time together, and some of those outfits are spectacular

Z. left a comment on 10/27/2011 at 2:52 AM:

Nice blog.

josh left a comment on 10/26/2011 at 2:44 PM:

Love the tweed and wool sweaters, but I can’t help but feel this is just “steam punk” for hipsters

Kayra Lee Velez left a comment on 10/26/2011 at 8:53 AM:

What a great marriage of two things I really like! I’m a big supporter of inner-city cycling as a form of alternative commute, and I’m also a huge fan of preppy style! Great job capturing the event, Fred!

Bevin Elias left a comment on 10/22/2011 at 9:02 AM:

I am beyond upset I was out of town for this, It looks like stills of scenes of a great directed motion picture. Fred when you get tired of this I can’t wait for your documentaries it’s only right.

kelvin left a comment on 10/20/2011 at 10:49 PM:

Great pics. Sure looks like fun! Fashion.Nostalgia all rolled into one. Luv the last pic! Thx for sharing.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 10/19/2011 at 9:31 PM:

Very cool.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

Lydia left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 10:20 PM:

Love!!

Olivia left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 7:03 PM:

Wow… I walk by Rugby every.single.day. and I can’t believe I wasn’t even remotely aware of this taking place! Shame on me.

Awesome job as usual, Fred!

cam left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 4:33 PM:

Great coverage FEC. For those bashing a great charity event, maybe you should check out The Tweed Run website that FEC linked.

khordkutta left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 3:06 PM:

Looks like ALOT of fun.  some nicely dressed folks paying homage to a time period.  Especially dig the phot of the family,  Who Doesnt Like a party?!?!

Tim left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 2:59 PM:

very impressive shots and looks

Preposity left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 12:00 PM:

@DBCC the Run in Tweed Run is more akin to the ‘Cannonball Run’ as in a race or errand.
    The fact people are wearing tweed for cycling (plus fours etc) is due to the fact that this attire was traditional for cycling back when it was a modern fad

James left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 11:56 AM:

Amazing photos! I really wish that we did that in Denver.

DBCC left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 11:24 AM:

@FEC, as always, great photos.  I’m feeling a lot of these looks, especially the father wearing the scarf/ascot.  However, why was it called a Tweed “Run” when the participants were not running, they were cycling?  Lastly, seems forced to ride a bike in tweed, that’s what spandex is for.  Maybe a picnic or parade would have been more in line.

KRH left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 8:51 AM:

I miss NY. I miss no matter cooky or whacky and idea is, it is embraced by NYers in the attempt to experiment and accept the different and the unique.  People brought together, sharing a common interest and looking darn spiffy in the process!

Makaga left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 8:38 AM:

Thanks for the fun photos (and for the nice photo of me the moment after downing a sip from my friend’s flask!)

Preposity left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 8:13 AM:

So many great shots, lovely work as always. It’s such a delight to see so many in New York dressed in such a British way. Tweed all round :) Now I’m just waiting our turn here in London

emjkmj left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 7:33 AM:

Looks like it was a blast…  The DC Tweed Run from the photo’s I’ve seen in the past seems to be much more conservative.  The West Village was definitely representing here.

Paul left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 7:03 AM:

Your photos are absolutely amazing!

bucephalus left a comment on 10/18/2011 at 6:52 AM:

The nose ring guy has some great tweed on.

James left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 9:33 PM:

Great photos FEC. Almost transports me to another time, one in which I was not alive for. Wish I had been there just to witness it in person. Thanks for sharing.

Tad Allagash left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 9:27 PM:

Nice pictures; I’ve always wanted to go to a Renaissance fair.

y l hollander left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 9:17 PM:

Tremendous photos. What a scene! I’m definitely living in the wrong city.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 9:06 PM:

Epitome of cool.

AEV left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 8:59 PM:

Cool images, but this is totally lost on me as an event.

meg left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 8:57 PM:

I can’t decipher whether I just looked at an extremely preppy event or a hipster version of the Portobello Road scene in Disney’s Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Chase left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 8:35 PM:

Great photos Fred. I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of the Tweet run, but it seems like a lot of the participants pushed it up to 11 and it didn’t always work. Nonetheless, the event seemed like a lot of fun. Wish I’d been in NYC to participate.

• An Extraordinary Life

Miscellany  

Oct 14, 2011 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

John left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:16 PM:

The movie was actually filmed in Houston.

Maxime left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 12:28 PM:

You have just posted, in a blog dedicated to prep style, a wisdom nugget of a quote from a French naval officer which was proeminently featured in a Wes Anderson movie set in an East Coast private school. That’s preppier than a tassel loafer.

• Side Pony

Dress Code  

Photographed in Washington, D.C.

Noteworthy: nautical print skirt.

Oct 13, 2011 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Amanda left a comment on 12/22/2011 at 8:31 PM:

So nice to see people embracing prep style.

To other loafer-loving ladies, my tried and true brands are: Cole Haan, RL, Aldo and I’m giving Bass (I know… I know) a try right now. Cole Haan’s are the most indulgent, my RL’s last forever; as RL stuff should, Aldo is great because you can give them hell and replace them super cheap. Bass… I kind of hate to admit I’m rocking a pair of Bass wingtips.. but they’re wingtips and thus wonderful.

Amatourist left a comment on 10/16/2011 at 6:45 PM:

Hoya Saxa.

Emmy left a comment on 10/15/2011 at 10:29 PM:

Where are the loafers from? I’ve been looking for a good pair of women’s penny loafers for a while now.

AEV left a comment on 10/14/2011 at 8:02 AM:

Nice look and I like seeing DC repped on here.

beauty, naturally left a comment on 10/14/2011 at 6:02 AM:

each piece works alone and togther!
    beautynaturalment.blogspot.com

Kate left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 8:44 PM:

I love the college prepster! Her blog is great and apparently her personal style is spot on too!

Laurie left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 7:52 PM:

I like her blog College Prep. That skirt, I need that skirt!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 7:46 PM:

Classic. The items in the aggregate, however, don’t work for me.

The funny thing about this website is that FEC seems to photograph only ‘nice’ girls. They all look so nice.

Let’s have some naughty for a change… :-)

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

Angela left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 6:03 PM:

Those loafers and ruffle button down are definitely noteworthy as well! Gorgeous.

Michael left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 4:57 PM:

Grant—you bite your tongue!

Love the skirt and brick in background.

Grant left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 4:19 PM:

Finally a picture of a girl other than Sarah Vickers, thank God.

Carlos left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 4:19 PM:

Is that Carly?? That blouse is great! Love the color.

Richard left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 12:49 PM:

I have always thought her to be a lovely young lady, and I enjoy her site College Prep.  I also want to say that I very much enjoy this site.

Gordon left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 10:07 AM:

Fabulous outfit.  What a lovely girl!

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 8:46 AM:

The loafers set this look apart, I love it!

Melissa left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 7:59 AM:

Great outfit, and I love her and her blog!

• Norman Hilton AW11

Style  

The resuscitation of Norman Hilton last fall by successor, and son, Nick Hilton featured a classic 3/2 roll notch lapel—one of the best I’ve ever worn—and a true natural shoulder. The 2011 autumn/winter collection continues to feature Lovat Mills’ shetland tweed constructed in New York’s garment district. Though Hilton continues to employ a pattern from 1963 found in the Norman Hilton archives, “there’s been some updating to modernize the proportions,” says accomplice Chris Callis.

As a tip of the hat to the eponymous designer’s alma mater, Princeton’s idyllic campus served as the backdrop for the sport-coats’ initial launch. For this fall, I headed to the Philadelphia countryside to photograph the handful of jackets, along with the introduction of Norman Hilton shirts and trousers. The Cannon lavender tweed sport-coat above, while unexpected, is a promising stand-out. It, along with Norman Hilton’s full collection, is available now at NormanHilton.com.

Oct 12, 2011 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Brian E left a comment on 10/16/2011 at 3:50 PM:

“Modernize the proportions?”  There’s nothing less “classic” than dropping seven bills on a sport coat that will be passé when the winds of fashion inevitably change in a year or two.  The Norman Hilton line is the most promising development in Ivy League clothing out there right now.  Nobody, not even the old stand-bys like BB, Press and OC have a true natural shoulder 3/2 sack.  I really hope they don’t ruin it by making all of their sport coats fit like boys sizes.

Paul Eilenberg left a comment on 10/14/2011 at 5:14 PM:

Yes great fall jacket. Lapels are perfect! Would love it better with one of our knit ties, but then I have a horse in that race, LOL.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 10/14/2011 at 2:40 PM:

Great jacket—but why are the lapels so skinny?!

OldGeorgetowner left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 11:07 PM:

At first glance I saw the coat and thought, “oh god..”, then I took a second look and the construction of this coat is superb, really.  I love the natural shoulder, the collar, the fit-well done.  LOVE the tie with that shirt.  Really, a great look.  This one is a winner.

Benn left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 10:46 AM:

Norman Hilton is the king of collegiate cool! These are great jackets, all the polish of a suit, but with less effort! I hope NH continues to be embraces so the label will thrive.

Preposity left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 8:22 AM:

Great shot, lovely lighting, I saw a few more on the Norman Hilton site, but I hope you’re planning to reveal a few more on here, love the fishing shot.
    –Josh
    www.preposity.com

Joker left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 8:16 AM:

Why so serious?

John left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 10:35 PM:

Love these jackets.

• Dot Dot Dot

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: beefroll penny loafer, gold collar pin, polka dot silk tie, no break in chino.

Oct 11, 2011 | Permalink (29) View/Leave Comments

SoloD left a comment on 10/31/2011 at 12:13 PM:

I have been looking for good pair of khaki’s for a while. Where did you get yours from?

Patrick Humphreys left a comment on 10/21/2011 at 6:30 PM:

Fit on the chinos is millimetre-perfect. Too-long sleeves on the jacket, though? Also, is that a suit jacket masquerading as a sport coat?

KRF left a comment on 10/17/2011 at 9:30 PM:

Where are the loafers from?

JN left a comment on 10/16/2011 at 1:08 AM:

@CRE The fit of your chinos really is amazing (as is the whole look). I’m new to tailoring and am curious as to what you mean by severe, have you just had the pant hemmed or had more done to it than that?  I would love my all chinos to have the same slim fit, and be without the break.

Preplee left a comment on 10/14/2011 at 9:53 PM:

FEC Great spread. We should collaborate? I just moved to NYC… Working with a start-up company with a number of other gentleman.

J. P. Lee

http://preplee.com
    preplee43@gmail.com

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 12:20 PM:

@NWB—Until I see more men approaching what they wear with more thought, I will continue to make looks like this noteworthy.  Pay special attention to the fit as well…few men are wearing their classic clothes closer to the body today yet many men would stand to benefit from that very thing.

NWB left a comment on 10/13/2011 at 10:00 AM:

Great post FEC.  Though I’m having a hard time finding anything this gent is wearing noteworthy.  The navy jacket and chino combo has been adopted by men of every generation since the 1950’s.  It’s a no brainer and can be found any sunday in your local church and probably with that tie as well.

@CRE-Your post explaining your style doesn’t seem to match the photo above.  If style really is a representation of ones personality I’m interested in knowing what part of this look represents you.  This for me lacks any real intrigue and in all crosses over the fine line of being too classic.

Alescia left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 9:35 PM:

I love the total look especially the polka dot tie and the added detail of the hanky in the pocket adds an extra touch of pazazz!

cam left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 9:44 AM:

dude looks good…period

CRE left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 9:04 AM:

First and foremost I’d like to state that I am the gentleman in the photo and appreciate all of comments and criticism.

However, a sock or no sock debate is pointless… As FEC stated, style is all about your personal point of view.

When I get dressed in the morning, I don’t think about what society would deem appropriate or to impress anyone.

I’m not a suit… I don’t work for anyone. So, I don’t have those constraints on me when making decisions on what to wear in the morning, and if I did work in that arena, I’d bring something new to the table.

Not to say that going sockless is an example of this, but fashion is about exploring new areas and pushing boundaries, finding what you like and displaying it to the world. What you wear is a statement and direct reflection of the person you are to the world and let’s everyone know where you stand without saying a word.

Socks or no socks… I made a statement here… One strong enough to spark a debate. If we can all agree on one thing I’m sure its that.

@Mike - The chinos are J.Crew Bowery Pants. They’ve been tailored severely though.

Once again, thanks for all of the comments.

-CRE

(c)left left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 8:33 AM:

@BKH^+1, @AEV^-1 Is this gent, perhaps enjoying a weekend at touring the towns museums or enjoying some other visual confectionery the great city of NY has to offer? A tie needn’t be a requirement for one to wear, as we’re all aware.

BKH left a comment on 10/12/2011 at 1:24 AM:

AEV - I believe that we all understand your view, you make it known on each post if someone is not wearing socks.

However, how can you make these assumptions. Without having any knowledge of when the photo was taken, who it is of, where he works, where it was taken, etc.

The thing about style is that it is one’s own way of expressing themselves through their wardrobe choice. I dress for myself each day, not to impress others or fit into what society considers to be appropriate.

Tito left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 9:13 PM:

There goes the SOCKS!
    Hey sir you look sharp men. that’s why I love New York city, you always find stylish people specially in Soho.

MGM left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 8:34 PM:

The always perceptive AEV again repeats his very practical criticism: that dressing like this just doesn’t cut it in the real world.  He may be right.  But what is so wrong with really embracing personal style (even at the risk of deviating conspicuously from established norms and conduct)?  Andy Warhol once commented that getting dressed everyday was a “project.”  Indeed, I treat my style choices as “dress-up” sessions.  Just how colorful and and interesting can I get?

Now, in my own experience, I have been emboldened in this approach by the fact that most people I encounter in the real/business world have no clue about professional dress.  Therefore, my style choice, while obviously bold and loud, is also just as obviously creative and informed.  For example, most people I see have very baggy suits, very thin and baggy button up shirts, ugly 5-inch ties, and pants that are wearing away at the heel of the shoes.  These people would never dare question my style choices, because it is obvious I know so much about style while they do not.  Now running into people like you, who, I imagine, tastefully and consistently observe “standard and professional” rules of dress, but this, generally, is not the case.

Alexander left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 8:33 PM:

I’m on the “sometimes” bandwagon for socks.

Phyllis left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 8:26 PM:

I like the total look

emjkmj left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 7:49 PM:

Nice pic…  This guy looks like he has a nice bounce to his step (yes he is going down stairs).  There is a certain confidence derived from dressing well.. it’s called swagger.

Grace left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 7:17 PM:

I really like this look. The cut of the chinos is exquisite, and I’ve always been fond of that shape of glasses frame.

Mike left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 6:34 PM:

Who makes these chinos?

JAS left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 4:19 PM:

@AEV - I too appreciate your point of view, and I understand it. Again, what I (try to) do is not for everyone, and not for every field/profession. More than anything, I appreciate a logical, level-headed and mature discussion/disagreement. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Back to the picture at hand: Great shot, and while not for everybody (which can be a compliment in my book), I dig the look from the ankles up!

AEV left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 3:46 PM:

@JAS - I appreciate what you’re saying. But, I have trouble with the ‘style is personal’ platitude. Yes, to some extent of course it is. But saying as much seems to suggest that all style choices, any style preferences, and, essentially, wearing whatever you want when/whereever you want, is always ok and acceptable.

In practice, it just doesn’t work that way. We all live within a society of other people and institutions, with their own perceptions, rules, impressions, and expectations. So, in some ways ‘style is personal’ and in many more tangible ways style is steered and dictated by many other factors - who we interact with, where we live, the rules and customs of the places we frequent, where we work, who our boss(es) are, what season it is/what temperature it is, and so on.

So, for me, when I see someone, in a large city, after Labor Day, in a jacket and tie - but not wearing socks - my reaction is, “that doesn’t work - it looks terribly out of place, inconsistent, and unprofessional.” I agree that there are a relatively small number of (mostly fashion/retail related) professions where a tie/jacket doesn’t signal formality/professionalism. But, in the vast majority of situations/professions, esp. after Labor Day, where a jacket and tie are required/appropriate, socks are too. If you don’t agree, fine - but I would caution you that many people feel the same way I do and they may not “get” or appreciate the impressions your ‘personal’ style is giving off.

JAS left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 3:32 PM:

AEV, I certainly understand your hesitation at the no sock look, as I had a similar concern when starting the professional program I am now in. However, as FEC has said (many times), style is personal, and an extension of personality. I have worn a tie every day since I started the program in early August, but put on socks for the first time just after Labor Day.

That being said, this has a lot to do with (again) my personality and my goals. If I were going into a large professional accounting firm, I would think socks would be appropriate. My professional goals are to build, market and use my brand, that is, my skills, knowledge and perhaps most importantly my personality.

K.C. Gleaton left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 1:20 PM:

I think it looks GREAT!

Then again, I may be biased…

BKH left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 12:05 PM:

FEC - Great shot

AEV - just because one wears a blazer and tie, it does not mean that one works in a professional environment.

AEV left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 11:39 AM:

Fred,

Are there any settings/environments that you feel ‘no socks’ would be inapproriate? Would you advise/endore ‘no socks’ for a professional business meeting (i.e. one requiring a tie/jacket? Job interview? Formal dinner out? Client meeting? Church? Court proceedings? Business trade show? A meeting with one’s member of Congress? For me, it’s less about it being 80 degrees (if that’s true, and this guy’s dressing for the temperature, than he doesn’t need his blazer…), and more about dressing appropriately for one’s environment and consistently from head to toe.

It’s one thing for you, personally, as a blogger and style photographer to ‘endorse’/wear no socks in late September - it’s a while other thing to suggest the look is always appropriate, in all settings and scenarios. That’s all I’m getting at…and I know few ‘style experts’ who would disagree….

I’m interested in your expanded perspective on this….

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 11:29 AM:

@AEV—I shot this at the end of September…even up until last week NYC was in the 80s. He’s fine without socks. Style is largely personal—a point of view. Unabashedly Prep is simply mine and you know I endorse a bare ankle well into fall.

Blair left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 11:14 AM:

Oh no AEV, I adore a sockless gent. I think if anything it displays a confident panache of respectful swagger. What did FE call it in one blog… the ‘go to hell ankle’ ?

AEV left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 11:04 AM:

Solid look for sure - and an interesting pic. That said, if your business requires a tie and jacket, it also requires socks….especially in October.

RCN left a comment on 10/11/2011 at 8:36 AM:

Impeccable… very sharp. I have the exact same penny loafers and I’m inspired by this gentleman to pair them up with a similar ensemble.

• Newer Posts Older Posts