• Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy

Culture | Music & Books  

It’s a side of Jacqueline (correctly pronounced Jack-uh-lean) Kennedy only family and friends knew. A voice so seldom heard, funny and inquisitive, clever and cutting.

For the first time Americans are afforded the opportunity to hear the shy, quiet former first lady—in her own words—talk about her experiences campaigning with JFK, her frank feelings about the newsmakers of the day (including Martin Luther King Jr. and Charles de Gaulle), intimate thoughts on her marriage to Jack, and a behind-the-scenes look at life in the Kennedy White House in the recently released book Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy.

The book includes 8 1/2 hours of original audio. It’s a primary source oral history recorded only four months after her husband’s assassination in a series of interviews with friend and longtime Kennedy aide Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. The tapes were kept under seal by the Kennedy Library for the past 47 years and reflects an era when the fascination with “Kennedy” was at its height.

Nov 30, 2011 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Iesha left a comment on 7/13/2014 at 11:01 PM:

I believe what you posted made a lot of sense. But, think on this, suppose you added a little information? I mean, I don’t want to tell you how to run your blog, however suppose you added a title to possibly get a person’s attention? I mean Unabashedly Prep - CultureMusic & Books is kinda boring. You ought to peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how they write article titles to get viewers to click. You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab readers excited about everything’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it might make your posts a little bit more interesting.

Rebecca left a comment on 12/14/2011 at 4:19 PM:

I pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it and it was well worth the purchase. What a fascinating insight into Camelot!

• Rainy Day

Dress Code  

Photographed in Cambridge, MA

Noteworthy: orange corduroy trousers and duck boots. Christopher runs Dressed by Christopher Cuozzo, a small start up custom shirt company.

Nov 29, 2011 | Permalink (65) View/Leave Comments

Malorie left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:32 AM:

I love this look!  The color combinations work really well together—the bright orange Bonobos were a great choice .  I usually prefer to wear/see a contrast cuff thrown in the mix, so I definitely appreciate how he rocked them here. 

I also love how he incorporated a personal touch into this look.  Chris pays as much attention to details of his outfits as he does his own customers, which is why I am a frequent “Dressed” client.  Whether its opening a hand-written thank you card from Chris when my clothes arrives or adding a perfectly-fitting “Dressed” button down to my outfit in the morning, I am never disappointed. 

Keep up the good work, Chris. 

P.S. The new “look book” on your website looks awesome!

DBCC left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 3:25 PM:

@AEV, good luck with your upcoming nuptials, Andrew.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 4:57 PM:

@Thad - certainly not negatively…just trying to be careful not to highjack FECs blog with a back and forth not related to the post at hand.

In short, I love a good oxford button down shirt as much as the next guy. Brooks Bros., Lands’ End, custom. I have a range of blazers and suits - some English (Dunhill is one of my favorites, though they’ve gone a bit flashy these days), some custom, some Brooks Bros., Harris Tweed, etc. My jeans are straight fwd - dark denim, slim/straight not skinny, normal rise; Levi’s, Lands’ End Canvas, Double RL. I love neck ties by Ben Silver and J. Press, and have a ton of vintage ones from family, etc. - never been a bowtie guy. Vintage Omega tank and a straight forward Rolex I bought with my first bonus check of any consequence. Slim khakis/cords/grey flannels from Brooks, RL, Murray’s, J Crew. Shoes/loafers from Bass, Alden, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, Allen Edmonds. I don’t do loafers with a suit. I wear (bright) socks in public when the weather demands I layer up and/or wear a jacket (unless I’m somewhere tropical). I don’t wear slippers outside. I love a good casual/quirky belt by Leatherman Ltd. and a simple engine turned sterling buckle on a strap. Outerwear by Barbour. Nice stationary is a must. As is a well made briefcase, portfolio, luggage (Glaser Designs, T. Anthony, Ghurka, etc.). I don’t wear bracelets (no offense to KJP), necklaces, anklets, earrings, tattoos, or rings (aside from my soon to be required wedding band). And so on….as far as I’m concerned, most of this is common fare and common sense…just not always on here.

If you have other questions, I’d be happy to correspond off the blog…FEC can provide you with my email address.

Thad left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 3:54 PM:

How should I interpret your failure to respond to my enquiry, Mr. AEV?

I like the reference to Mill, Mr. MGM.

“In a sense it might be said that our failure is to form habits: for, after all, habit is relative to a stereotyped world, and meantime it is only the roughness of the eye that makes two persons, things, situations, seem alike.”
    Pater

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 3:27 PM:

@FEC - thankfully Fred, I’m hardly alone in my belief that jeans are casual and awkward when ‘dressed up’ with a tie.  I believe the jeans/tie/blazer ‘look’ has become totally cliched and ‘kicked’.

I wear jeans all the time - and, they work just fine with a blazer and loafers, sans tie. If I feel compelled to add an accesory, bright socks, a pocket square, a colored watch band, or subtle blazer lining works just fine.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 1:54 PM:

It would seem one of the only gentlemen to not embrace wearing a tie with denim is AEV. Today, denim is to preps what chinos were in the 80s. Denim, sport coat, and tie is a uniform I wear on a weekly basis. It’s a part of the modern preppy style vernacular…a part of the landscape that, whether or not you choose to accept/embrace it, still exists.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 12:37 PM:

@MGM - Your comments are fair and well taken. That said, please don’t misconstrue where I stand on neck ties. Wearing a tie to “step up” one’s look is welcomed - I wear a tie frequently. But, the tie needs to be paired appropriately to send the correct/desired impression.

In the above shot, for instance, the tie hardly “steps up” this outfit - in fact, in confuses it and makes an otherwise casual outfit look awkward. If you want to wear a tie, throw on some non-jeans, leather soled shoes, and a blazer and I agree, you may very well set yourself apart in a positive way.

If you half-ass it, use the tie as some sort of contrived prop, and/or dress up like a pop/hip hop star or retail sales associate, you’ll most likely embarrass yourself and get lots of off putting questions from strangers (including wait staff).

Are there a handful of “creative” type jobs where a casual+tie look can work? Yes, I suppose so….but, most of us aren’t Michael Bastian nor should we want to look like we work at Rugby or TGI Friday’s.

MGM left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 12:17 PM:

I think I speak for many when I say that I genuinely look forward to seeing what AEV has to say.  But, as a general rule, his comments can be divided in the following way:

(1) the look does not work in an aesthetic sense
    (2) the look does not work in a practical sense.

I have always disagreed with AEV over (2).  The fact that most kids do not walk around in ties and blue jeans, for example, is no strike against the look in an aesthetic sense.  It was John Stuart Mill that wrote that custom is a tyrannical thing, and not following it is the best means of asserting your own individuality.  Indeed, I was out having drinks in the afternoon the other day with some dandy-ish friends of mine, one of whom was wearing a rather stylish bow tie.  The waitress could tell we were students because the esablishment in which we were drinking was in close proximity to the university, and so she asked my friend, “Why are you wearing a bow tie?”  In perfect form, my friend quickly replied, “To put me a step above everyone else.”  I don’t think AEV quite understands that.

But, with all that being said, I think AEV is always on point in his comments with respect to (1).  I also do not think the contrast cuffs look very good, and I am not a fan generally of these “duck boots.”  They just look awkward, whether you wear your pants over them or tuck them into the boot.

But, get rid of the cuffs, and replace the boots with some penny loafers, and I think this is one fine outfit.

GEM left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 10:40 AM:

Overall I like the look.  I’m not a huge fan of the contrast cuffs or the unlaced duck boots, but all in all you have a great look Chris.  As a fellow New Englander, it really makes me miss home this time of year.

marsocho left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 11:47 PM:

pay attention gents, another kernel from the Always Erudite Valedictorian of prep

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 11:15 PM:

The debate rages on. It’s days like these I really enjoy this site!

khordkutta left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 9:05 PM:

People often find their choice of clothing VERY personal. I appreciate what I perceived to be a very nice blend of Preppy/B-Boy.

AEV left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:28 PM:

@khordkutta—I don’t think any of us have any idea how ‘successful’ Mr. Cuozzo’s operation is. And, even if his shirt company is a runaway success, my comments weren’t harping on a ‘flaw’ of his - I was simply commenting on his clothes…hardly personal.

khordkutta left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:04 PM:

Do your thing DBCC, hope your business is successful.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 6:57 PM:

@DBCC, keep your chin up, you will find that it always takes more time and more money than you planned for.  It’s just par for the course.

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 6:49 PM:

@KJP, great to hear from you, thanks for chiming in, I hope all is well with you and Sarah.  We should connect again real soon…I have some good ideas for us to collaborate on.

Thanks @Greg.

Thanks @emjkmj, some days are better than others.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 6:43 PM:

@AEV, Well said.  Rules I adhere to myself.                               

@DBCC,  As an entreprenuer, I like to see young men and women strike out and reach for the brass ring.  I hope you find success.

Greg left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 6:16 PM:

Love the unique individual style.  Contrast cuffs are a nice touch.  Good stuff.

Thad left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 5:56 PM:

I’m in general agreement with all you stated, especially #5. Quite kind of you, considering my Vineyard Vines taunts. I was disfigured a few years ago in an automobile accident due to another drivers negligence, so I’m obviously more concerned with image and dress now (I seem to attract stares). Are there particular items that you are fond of such as OCBDs and khakis? (The lady of the house has requested that I buy no more OCBDs as I’ve recently acquired several dozen.) Do you tend to patronize a particular store such as Brooks Brothers? Please consider your guidance is for a “good cause”. Perhaps we may exchange email addresses in the future. Thank you.

KJP left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 5:50 PM:

Just hopped on here.  Very fun outfit Chris.  Tons of detail and fashion experimentation for conversation.  Lot’s of supporting spirit in the comments.  Refreshing. 

AEV your abridged “prep dress essentials” is outstanding.  That was truly excellent to read and very well stated.  I do feel outfits breaking outside of these rules can become a bit of a “Preppy” costume when worn in the wrong settings/scenario.  I would be very eager to read the unabridged version if you ever get around to it.  I am asked often by customers and readers to guide them in the right direction in regards to when an outfits pushing beyond purpose and function. 

Happy holidays readers,
    —KJP

cam left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 5:21 PM:

@AEV - I wholeheartedly agree with these notes.

AEV left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 5:03 PM:

@Thad - I have less than no interest in having a blog. But, I have - as you may know - somewhat grudgingly (after repeated commenter quips, barbs, and requests) allowed myself to featured/photographed on this very blog….for 5 days in a row, in fact. And, as Fred knows, any time he’d like to snap more photos, I’d oblige (I don’t presume or assume, however, that he has any interest in doing so….).

While I’d be open to expound on my ‘essentials’ more on UP were Fred to ask me to, the Cliffs Notes are pretty straight forward (and hardly all my own):

1. Wear your own clothes, honestly. Don’t overtly copy other ‘looks’ wholesale and don’t wear fake vintage or faux worn clothes. Ever.
    2. Know what you’re buying, it’s heritage, and how and with what it was constructed. This goes for many items beyond clothing. Doing a little homework should limit the money you waste on junk, demonstrate that you appreciate quality, and reflect that you know a thing or two about the style and functionality of the items you wear/own.
    3. Spend your money wisely. Even the most affluent have financial limitations. Buy the nicest (brown) shoes, watch, and navy and/or grey suit you can afford. Other items are more debatable.
    4. Practice restraint. Go easy on the affectations and accessories. Don’t display/carry props. Limit or avoid logos. Ralph Lauren can do stuff in his marketing/stores/on his sales people that you should never do. He’s Ralph Lauren and trying to sell you stuff. You’re you.
    5. Dressing as an “individual” - and the cult of the individual that is choking our society at present - is not a license to needlessly draw attention to oneself or dress like a peacock. There are innumerable ways to dress ‘individually’ and ‘non-boringly’ without looking like a clown.
    6. Buy clothes that fit. Or, have your clothes tailored. This point, of course, assumes you know how your clothes should fit in the first place. If you don’t, find a tailor you trust and ask lots of questions.

As an abridged version, that about does it. Not hard at all…..

Thad left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 4:34 PM:

One is either part of the solution or part of the problem, Mr. AEV. (Please pardon the cliche.) Why not lead by example by occupying a position inside your own camp while maintaining a blog? (You appear to be a gentleman of distinction.) Alternatively, you could state your own essentials of dress on this blog. I look forward to reading it.

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 4:33 PM:

@AEV, you make some valid points.  I enjoyed our banter today.  Thanks again for complimenting my pants and my entrepreneurial spirit.  I wish you the best.

-Chris

AEV left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 3:58 PM:

I would like to remind everyone that I complimented the orange pants straight away and have repeatedly given you credit and appreciation for running your own business. And, I happen to be having a wonderful day, thank you.

It’s Fred’s blog - he can and does post whatever he likes. He posts pictures, readers - myself included - react. Simple, really.

MND left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 3:07 PM:

I happen to love your style,confidence and passion!  Best of luck to you and your company.  Keep up the great work and hope to see more of your looks in the future.

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 2:51 PM:

@Robyn, thanks, I’m harmless.

robyn left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 2:43 PM:

I like this, especially the boots! I’d be intimated to tell him I liked his outfit if I saw him in real life, but I’d appreciate it from afar. :)

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 2:07 PM:

@Tommy, Caroline—thank you.
    @Ryan—the boots being untied and knotted is just my own way of wearing them, nothing more.
    @Shawn—the Bonobos pants are from 2009 and are Fake Bakes - straight leg pinwale corduroy, very bright.  Thank you.

@AEV—This outfit is just me having fun.  Don’t read too far into it.  Do I dress like this everyday?  No.  Sounds like your beef is with Fred for posting this.  Personally, I think it fits nicely on this site.  It’s something fresh, something unique.  Would an angry little lobbyist in DC wear this attire to work?  No.  Would a self-employed Bostonian who wants to shake things up a bit and separate himself from the crowd?  Yes.  Again, it’s okay that you don’t like what’s offered on my site, thank you for checking it out.

meg left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 1:34 PM:

I got very excited when I saw the large W…it looked like the sweaters that the boys at Woodberry Forest “cheerleaders” wore at the WFS/Episcopal game…good days

Shawn left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 1:07 PM:

@DBCC Are your pants the game day orange Bonobos pants?  I came pretty close to buying them, but a review said they were a darker orange in person.  Your orange ones look like a good color.  Keep up the good work and don’t let the naysayers get you down.

Ryan left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 1:06 PM:

What is the point of wearing boots if they are untied? Shouldn’t the things you wear be practical?

Tommy Dupre left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 1:05 PM:

The outfit is a mover. The best part about the whole assemble is the boot, give a touch of yeah i do yard work from time to time on the weekend. But the top just tells the people, I run a fashion comp.

Chris great job

AEV left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 12:41 PM:

Sure, ‘style is individual’. This blog (at least at its stated roots), however, and the general internet space it populates, is about profiling classic (yet up to date), traditional clothing. Classic and traditional doens’t mean boring but it does have some generally accepted guidelines. 3-piece pinstripe suits? No. Ben Sherman, Etro-ish cuffs (BTW, if you “roll” your cuff, and it still hits below your wrist, the shirt is too big. way too big)? Nope. Neck ties with untied boots and over-sized, high-school letter cardigans? No sir.

I’d also urge all readers to visit Chris’s website - it includes items like tight, deep v-neck t shirts, something called a ‘menley.’ I appreciate that he’s struck out on his own, and the stuff works on some people. But it’s not “quintessentially New England” by any stretch, it’s not traditional, it’s not classic go-to-hell - it’s something else entirely.

khordkutta left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 12:30 PM:

Dude is on point, thats Prep-Hop style right there.

Justin left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 12:23 PM:

I’m with AEV on the cuffs; never liked contrasting cuffs, probably never will.  I do, however, like the colors (my high school colors were orange & white).  The tie works well enough for the outfit; kind of a casual friday sort of vibe.

Glenn Elliott left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 12:03 PM:

Quintessential New Englad with just enough quirkiness to make it shine (contrast cuffs).  I especially love the pants and belt.  Great job DBCC.  BTW, Fred has never claimed to be a curator of some “Preppy Museum” to an ideal that has never really existed.  Clothing, style, fashion, whatever you want to call it should be (and when most successful is) a reflection of an individual.

Steve Twomey left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 11:59 AM:

Don’t let the orange W scare you.  This guys is able to provide a great line of custom shirts, sweaters, and T’s.  He’s “Dressed” me for years and I couldn’t be happier with the look and fit of his gear.  Go Winchester!

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 11:48 AM:

@Blevins, thanks for wishing me luck.  Please keep in mind that this is just one of my looks, I’m not married to it, but I do enjoy putting a twist on the traditional prep look.  I was wearing a 3 piece Astor & Black navy pinstripe suit just yesterday.  I started Dressed a little over two years and was inspired by said companies but they didn’t allow for customization, which I do allow for.  I now offer custom elbow patches on cardigans and sweaters as well - http://www.dressedbycc.com/lookbook
    Just trying to keep it fresh and more importantly, fun.

Blevins left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 11:35 AM:

To each their own. While not my style, nor something I would by, good luck with the business.

However let’s not pretend contrasting cuffs / collars are something new and / or original (Jennifer) - Ben Sherman, Robert Graham, and Etro have been doing this for years, if not decades.

chris left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 10:13 AM:

Black and Orange and rockin’ the “W” with pride. Woburn’s best dressed man is definitely someone to be reckoned with in the fashion industry. Watch out Ecco, Cuozzo’s coming after you. Dressed by CC shirts are amazing. Top quality product from a top quality company. Nothing better than wearing something designed by CC for the holidays. Nice Work Chris. Good to see a great guy get some press on Dressed!

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 9:57 AM:

@AEV, your comments are appreciated.  Style is a matter of opinion.  You don’t have to like what I like and I don’t have to like what you like, you do you and I’ll do me, son.  The reason I started Dressed was to allow the customer to express their individuality through customization, if this isn’t for you, that’s perfectly okay and I get that.  You’re right, the sweater (size large) is too big for me, it drives me insane to be honest with you. I typically wear a medium.  I got it on ebay because I loved the vintage factor behind it and the leather wrapped buttons.  I’m 29 and still support my hometown, shoot me.  Happy Holidays.

Jennifer left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 9:37 AM:

@AEV I have to say I disagree with your opinion that the cuffs are “gimmicky”...I think it’s about time we saw some original style here in Boston! You say people think “clown” which may be true but that’s only because people are afraid to step outside of the comfort zone of regular button down, same as the next guy.

I have worn many of the the clothes Chris has created for Dressed by CC. The quality is great and the comfort is even better. I love that I stand out from the bunch in a cardigan with custom elbow patchwork. My favorite has to be showing up at work in a classic oxford shirt like all the other women in the office but my shirt has customized cuffs and collars. Being someone that appreciates fashion, it is nice to know someone is taking the lead on standing out from the crowd! Love it! P.S. I am thrilled that Chris is making pocket squares happen again :)

joanna left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 9:30 AM:

Love your pants! I admired a guy at our Thanksgiving Day Football Game wearing BONOBOS adorned with little Turkeys - all over them - Wait a minute! Maybe that was YOU! Keep up the ” Unique to you ” style. Very impressive.

Leah left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 9:15 AM:

Love the “W” on this sweater and what it stands for! Keep up the good work!

AEV left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:54 AM:

Not everything is subjective. Contrast cuff shirts are gimmicky and far, far from traditional.  The high school hockey sweater (Chris is almost 30) is forced and doesn’t fit - the shoulders are drooping inches off his shoulders. So, for someone who cares about the fractional size of his gingham, he oddly ignores the fit and sleeve length of his ‘outerwear’...

The ‘necktie with casual clothes’ is one of the most ridiculous trends of the last few years. It looks forced and like it’s been plucked directly from a retail catalog or window display. Where, exactly, is someone headed who’s wearing a tie, an over-sized hockey sweater, a casual/modern-ish oxford and large, untied, clunky boots?

I think it’s great that Chris has his own business and the confidence to wear something like this (on a public blog no less) - but, that doesn’t make it traditionally preppy, classic, or attractive.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:45 AM:

This is perfection.

Michael left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:11 AM:

I love the outfit. Agree w/ ESQ - I appreciate the individual/personalized nature of the sweater. It’s refreshing to see someone put together a bold & unique look and not give a damn about what people might think. The shirt cuffs are a great look too. I’m buying a few items from Dressed by CC for Christmas. Can’t wait!!

MAG left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 8:01 AM:

@DBCC, I love the sweater and the pants, but especially the anchored Oxford shirt.  Your website and customer service are superb.  I just used promo code “LOOKBOOK” and received 15% off your site, thank you.  Happy Holidays.

DBCC left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 7:49 AM:

@JP, thank you.

@McCarthy, you’re right, I should have had the top button undone on the shirt.  Thanks.

McCarthy left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 3:03 AM:

...And just a question on the left boot coming off your foot- is that a product of the “GTH” look or is there something I am missing there as well?

McCarthy left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 2:55 AM:

Speechless… Should’ve been consistent with the “go to hell” look and untied the tie and unbuttoned some buttons… Really no clue what is being attempted here.

JP left a comment on 12/1/2011 at 12:06 AM:

I actually love this sweater. This is an outfit you’d take notice of if it passed you on the street. AEV might not think it’s perfect, but what is? Go get ‘em.

DBCC left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 11:56 PM:

@Sean - thank you, kind sir.

@Dlash - thanks for understanding my POV.

@TPH - thanks for the support.

@Evostyle - LMAO…I’m still looking for that fabric - 100% cotton navy or royal blue 1/4” box gingham…..

Evostyle left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 11:51 PM:

@TPH Chris actually requested 1/4 inches..“I’m looking for navy/white gingham fabric.  Needs to be ¼” boxes”
    Great look Chris!

TPH left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 11:40 PM:

Love that he takes cues from the traditional prep blogger playbook while composing a look that is uniquely his own. Clearly comfortable in his clothes -this guy cares not what the haters spit at him. Great care has gone into choosing the details - the leathers he’s wearing from his belt to watch to boots are all congruent. Chris looks like a guy who gets up in the morning and measures the gingham checks precisely to the 1/8”. He probably has a 27” inseam but he’ll never tell. Anyone can put on a uniform that he kopped off the tumblrs - but it takes some true confidence to interpret as your own. Bravo Chris - best of luck. Cheers to creativity.

Dlash left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 11:28 PM:

This is the GTH notion incarnate. It’s clear that Chris wears what he likes and doesn’t mind standing out in the process. This has all the charming qualities of a kid wearing all his favorite clothes at once (cape, winter boots, shorts, power ranger shirt, etc.) and enjoying every minute of it. Well done!

HJK65 left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:50 PM:

Love Bonobos pants and the go-to-hell pants spirit they convey. Chris designs some nice clothes himself…

Sean Willaim left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:41 PM:

This looks is a modern take on classic Bostonian style, a throw back to the collegiate years, yet right in tune with today. Its all in the details; the barely-tied bean boots, an o-ring belt and of course, the trim on the interior of the neck and cuffs. Snaps for DBCC!

DBCC left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:21 PM:

@ESQ, thank you.  The print on the interior of the cuffs is a 100% cotton navy blue fabric with small cream colored anchors.  It’s one of my favorite and most popular fabrics.

Had rain not been in the forecast that day, I likely would have rolled out my dark brown leather Grenson wingtips.

ESQ left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:14 PM:

Christopher, love the personal nature of this outfit - obviously the “W” represents where you came from. Individual in a monotonous society - I can appreciate it. Not sure why anyone would say the tie is out of place - I regularly wear a dress shirt and tie with a shawl collar cardigan - timeless look in my opinion. Given the distance at which the photograph was taken, it’s difficult to tell what the print is on the inside of the shirt cuffs. If you read this, can you describe it? Overall, great look. I love the orange/navy/cream combo. The orange accent of the pants make the outfit bold, but the cream and navy tone it down a bit - very complimentary. I wish it hadn’t been raining, I’d have liked to see what type of dress shoe you’d choose to compliment the outfit in more accommodating weather. Great effort, great result.

cam left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:11 PM:

@FEC - did you happen to see this? http://www.complex.com/style/2011/11/the-10-types-of-mens-style-bloggers#8

DBCC left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 9:44 PM:

@FEC thanks for photographing me. 

@AEV thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it, if I had a pen I would never write any of it down, well maybe the last sentence. : )  In all honesty, I respect your opinion and you’re entitled to that, I was really hoping you’d have something to say and was looking forward to your thoughts.  My name is Chris Cuozzo and I’m pictured above….I’d love to connect, shoot me an email at chris@dressedbycc.com The W stands for Woburn as in Woburn, MA - where I played Varsity hockey and baseball and still reside.  I was born and raised in Woburn, MA and have lived here my entire 29 years on this earth.  I’m proud to call it home.  The pants come from my main man, Andy Dunn and the Ninjas over at www.bonobos.com and the enterprising spirit - well that comes from my parents, especially my father, and the support of my family and friends.

WEB left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 9:20 PM:

Ah, good ol’ Mt. Auburn St….

AEV left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 9:07 PM:

Here’s how this could work: Get rid of those contrast cuffs (fast), remove the silly sweater (I shudder to think what the “W” stands for), take off the tie (it goes w/nothing else in the outfit), and unknot the laces on the boots, so they can be worn practically and maturely.

I do appreciate this guy’s pants and enterprising spirit.

• C.W. Dixey & Son

Top Drawer | Style  

C.W. Dixey & Son of London have been crafting exquisite eyewear for a discriminating and sophisticated clientele since 1777. Founded by William Fraser, the family proudly served as optician to the King or Queen of England. But it wasn’t without its hardships. Despite its resilience throughout recessions, depressions, and wars, dishonesty from within has almost bankrupted the company on several occasions (e.g. an assistant, Mr. Grice, used the premises as a gambling den in the early 1800s). It comes as no wonder their motto is ‘vide verum’—see the truth.

The company’s distinguished patrons included the likes of Kings and Queens of England (seven to be precise), Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor Qianlong of China, Tennessee Williams, the Duke of Wellington, Winston Churchill, and various other leaders, artists, writers, and royalty. Legend has it that Churchill discovered C.W. Dixey & Son while he was a pupil at Harrow school. My Chartwell 01 frames* are a faithful replica of his legendary circular frame. Rendered in a light tortoiseshell, it simply boasts a two white spot motif on the temple tips, just as Churchill personally requested in September 1944. Each pair is still accompanied with an invitation to enter your name into their storied archives dating back to 1780.

“I am easily satisfied with the very best.”  —Sir Winston Churchill

C.W. Dixey & Son remains the oldest independent eyewear company in the world. Since its inception, ownership has passed only between friends or family and to this day they remain an English family business, based in London.

*courtesy of C.W. Dixey & Son

Nov 28, 2011 | Permalink (26) View/Leave Comments

daniel_drennen2@yahoo.com left a comment on 2/25/2012 at 6:52 AM:

want to order asap-

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 12:06 PM:

There is some good discussion going on here gentlemen.  The reality here is that the prep/trad style of dress is enjoyed by many different men with differing taste levels…various price tolerances.  I never want to imply that a young man in college (or even in his young 20s) should be able to afford such items as these frames by C.W. Dixey & Son.

Stanley Marcus once said, “Good taste, I am convinced, can be acquired through environment and education; the eye can be disciplined to differentiate between good and bad by a constant looking process.”  This is what a piece on C.W. Dixey & Sons is about…it’s about developing taste.  Justin, below, understands that.  You may not be willing to spend this kind of money on a pair of eye glasses, but one day you might.  Either way, now you know they exist…and why they exist.

No company that is selling eyewear for under $100 is going to have been around since 1777.  That’s not the way the world works.  I have an appreciation for beautiful things and every now and then I will share those things here.

Justin left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 11:34 AM:

@Dan From England, that is my point exactly.  I love many of the items featured on the blog, but would never pay the indicated price.  It’s the thrill of the hunt!

Dan from England left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:52 AM:

Half the fun of buying things is to get a deal,or a bargain. I bought a pair of double monk strap shoes earlier in the year and paid £185 for them in the sale , just round the corner in Ralph Lauren the same shoes were selling fit £850 ! I love the RL look / product but it is so over priced I really enjoy sourcing similar stuff at a fraction of the price.

Justin left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 10:05 AM:

I believe the big take-away from this conversation is that, yes, there are wonderful examples of expensive goods available to us but this does not mean that we’re forced to pay the price for these items as there are many less expensive options out there, many of which are of similar quality to their luxury counterparts.  I appreciate seeing the high-end offerings being displayed because it gives me the inspiration to go out and find a similar product in my price range.  Seeing a high-quailty example of these frames, for example, also shows educates me on the finer details that distinguish between quality goods and low-end knock offs.

Jim Kelleth left a comment on 11/30/2011 at 4:57 AM:

‘Glenn’ is right about the Anglo American frames, but you don’t have to pay Ben Silver prices.  What they call the Liberty is the model 406….a classic.

Michael left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 9:03 PM:

Dare I say Churchill took a page out of Wilde’s book?  Good for him!

have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Tyler P. left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 7:35 PM:

@cam I’m pretty sure that’s AEV’s point. That being said, both the jacket and glasses are both quite nice.

Daniel left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 7:16 PM:

Glasses worn by emperors, kings, and PMs? Cool.

J left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 7:09 PM:

I remember you recently saying only a fool would pay more than $100 for frames (in your endorsement of Warby Parker), which makes this post seem a bit contradictory.

But if I could get free $600 frames like these I’d do the same thing.  Also, people might be surprised to hear prescription lenses (at least mine) go for nearly $300.

Glenn left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 5:19 PM:

A similar line of eye wear can be found at Ben Silver in Charleston, SC The Anglo American brand which I own a pair are also made in England! Very similar to the C.W. Dixey & Son styles! They’re top quality also!

cam left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 4:16 PM:

@aev - but fred didn’t pay $600 for them. heck, i’d endorse a ferrari if someone would like to “gift” me one

JUmm left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 2:59 PM:

i adore those glasses!
    STYLE DECORUM

AEV left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 2:38 PM:

Fred - I’m not only interested in “value”/cheaper prices - I just don’t believe that something being made in the USA automatically means it’s worth paying a steep premium for - in addition to some wonderful stuff, lots of crap is made in America. A casual, cotton duffle bag hardly seems worth $400+ - just my opinion. There is also a grand canyon size gap between “value”/cheap prices and $600.00…all sorts of high end, quality eyewear brands, Oliver Peoples (largely US designed), RL Collection(largely Italian made), etc., etc. can be had for 30-50% less…

Makaga left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 2:38 PM:

It’s great to read the message board.  As an eyewear designer, it’s nice to get a peak into what people feel about luxury/classic/storied brands like CW Dixey and Son.

Dan from England left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Thanks Fred I checked that out but the picture today showers the cloth of the jacket so much better. When are you coming to London ?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 2:17 PM:

@AEV—Items call always be had at a cheaper price. My taste isn’t solely value driven.  I am extremely interested in C.W. Dixey & Son’s history…I like and appreciate that story…their patronage. It subtly reaffirms me that I’m in good company wearing these eyeglasses.

If value oriented eyeglasses are more your speed, you will be interested in another eyewear company I will be writing about soon. That value will be hard to beat.

AEV left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 1:57 PM:

Thanks Fred - that’s certainly helpful information to have when digesting your ‘endorsements’. Just because something’s made in the USA, doesn’t mean it’s worth over-paying for….especially since you seem to be endorsing similar ‘over paying’ for French made/UK designed eyewear. Heck, I’ve seen vintage, all leather RL black watch duffle bags sell for $200 or less on sites like etsy/eBay…personally, I think black watch travel bags are a bit much for men anyway.

I don’t need glasses (yet), but I do know that very nice, high quality frames can be had for far less than $600.00….but, like I said, the Dixey ones are sharp and I appreciated the post. The vintage Press blazer is killer as well….

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 1:24 PM:

@AEV—In defense of my Ernest Alexander waxed cotton weekend bag, it’s the price I pay for a bag produced in NYC from a boutique (in blackwatch nonetheless, few, if anyone else, is doing that).  Yes, Filson makes a similar sized duffel bag in the USA for $100 less…and that’s a great option if you like earth tones.

C.W. Dixey & Son gifted these frames to me upon my request for them to do so. I do like them very much.  I’ve found this shape is difficult to find. Given C.W. Dixey & Son’s price point, heritage, and patronage (and let’s not forget the weak dollar against the stubborn pound), their frames are essentially a luxury accessory; therefore, qualms over steep pricing don’t hold as much water as it would with a company competing on price.

AEV left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 12:58 PM:

Cool frames. Fred, were these a ‘gift’ or did you purchase them? They, like the $400 cloth bag you endorsed a couple wks ago, stike me as a bit steep at $600.00….no?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 12:28 PM:

@Dan from England—Every article of clothing that appears on Unabashedly Prep is mine.  What you see is what I wear…what I wear, I endorse…what I endorse, I share with you.  If you’d like to see me wearing the jacket, check out the piece I wrote up on J.Hilburn—I’m wearing the jacket there.

Dan from England left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 12:20 PM:

Oh thanks for the info, I didn’t realise it was your jacket , don’t hink we have that make in the UK but I really like it, maybe you could do one of your collections and include it showing what you wear with it. Really cool jacket.

Mike left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 12:09 PM:

I thought that quote was by Oscar Wilde.  Yes, they make superb frames!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 10:50 AM:

@Dan from England—My jacket is vintage J.Press.

Dan from England left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 9:23 AM:

Love the herringbone jacket, do we have any idea where it came fom ?

ERIII left a comment on 11/28/2011 at 11:46 PM:

Great post! I love the info!

• Greasy Spoon

Dress Code  

Photographed outside of Memphis, TN by Jory Cordy

Noteworthy: black watch waister jacket. I unearthed this photograph of me in a greasy spoon somewhere outside of Memphis, TN, that explains the plaid flannel.

Nov 23, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Katherine left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 2:20 PM:

This is quite different from what you usually post FEC, but I like it.

Joey Dee left a comment on 11/29/2011 at 3:27 PM:

This is a very cool picture, I must agree. Conjures thoughts of very early Al Paccino, circa The Godfather.

Alexander left a comment on 11/28/2011 at 10:58 PM:

This is why I come to the site! Awesome shot

S. left a comment on 11/27/2011 at 4:14 PM:

Great picture, very real and unmanicured while retaining sophistication! Out of curiousity, what nationality are you? You remind me quite a bit of Kal Penn.

aggieknit left a comment on 11/26/2011 at 12:00 PM:

I love Memphis.  We were there this spring and loved every minute, except when the tornado sirens kept going off.
    Love your jacket, too.  Black watch is a favorite of mine.

TCR left a comment on 11/25/2011 at 12:06 PM:

It looks so grimey. I like it! You need to come to Nashville FEC. It’s much nicer than Memphis ;)

ViridianGirl left a comment on 11/25/2011 at 9:14 AM:

This Memphian nods in approval. Nice photograph!

JNN left a comment on 11/25/2011 at 1:19 AM:

No explanation needed. Classic style. Seedy diner. Perfect. Agreed with Richard that this might be the best picture of you that’s been posted here.

Richard left a comment on 11/24/2011 at 1:43 PM:

This might be the best picture of you you’ve ever posted.

CHC left a comment on 11/24/2011 at 1:23 PM:

Great photograph! Very rock n’ roll!

• Wanderers Palm Beach

Store Profiles  

Del Toro, the youthful Prince Albert slipper start-up helmed by Matthew Chevallard, set up shop on Palm Beach earlier this month. Wanderers Palm Beach is a limited edition store inspired by its surrounding artistic atmosphere—more or less a fresh take on the traditional pop-up shop. Chevallard, along with fellow designer Christina Coniglio, curated a selection of local photography, jewelry, mens swimwear, and pottery to complement the offering at Wanderers. I popped into the Royal Poinciana Way location over the weekend to check out the latest collection for men and women. That’s right, Del Toro is debuting their womens collection at the shop, boasting leopard and zebra pony hair slippers as well as velvet and linen options. Also debuting next month at Wanderers? An F.E. Castleberry for Del Toro black watch Prince Albert slipper.

Nov 22, 2011 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

Jariecottarge left a comment on 12/23/2011 at 1:49 AM:

µGushing is torrenty definitely an inspirational BitTorrent client. It is not in the least 94kB in measurements, until now boosts an impressive amount of features. It doesn’t assess with an installer in the phiz of how, so you’ll laboured to to affect it in the Program Files directory and sire a shortcut to it yourself. Graphically, it does much that Rufus does as showily (but then much much faster). The purchaser interface is the modest 2-pane comment that most clients press, with in the intoxication tine half the beadroll of torrents, and in the rump half the overflow’s details and statistics. Like Rufus, it draws a transmit statistics graph, and has hinterlands flags next to the users that you’re downloading from.     
    There are diversified convenience-details in this client. With the capitalize the make menu of a outburst you can submit the containing folder, and when you do that on a catalogue you can unblocked the convene observable directly. It has a efface .torrent + details carte blanche, too, and completed files can be moved to a multitudinous directory than the download path. Some of the more advanced features that usher up in µCascade are that it has a scheduler so that you can allot when it should start and snag downloading, and it can automatically lade torrents from a directory (could next to any means be combined with an RSS reader?). There is also a location to hiatus the I/O and the go trim the disk writes. Of go it can prioritise files as swell, and downloading simply files works properly. It has incremental downloading in, allowing it has to be explicitly enabled (‘scant files’ in advanced options). Features that are in Rufus and that I misapprehend in µGushing are the cobweb interface, RSS apparel up reinforce, and prioritising uploading to a permanent person. They may be added past, is flat in extensive dirt; the scandal three versions had an circumstance of no more than a week, and the latest let incorrect was yesterday :). According to the forum, RSS fodder affirm is planned. The prioritising affair would be pernicious, but it’s not confidently torrent dignified, and as as a replacement unavoidable on the web interface, I normally proceed from up Windows Far-away Desktop anyway :).     
    Fro the kindest BitTorrent defender - uTorrent
    Close-mouthed to the defeat BitTorrent fellow - uTorrent
    There the great BitTorrent unfaltering - uTorrent

Done, µRipple is unusually teeny, written in C++, and uses unquestionably microscopic resources. :-)

mattymays left a comment on 12/22/2011 at 3:49 AM:

hi www.unabashedlyprep.com-ers all the best   to every one -  matty mays

emjkmj left a comment on 11/24/2011 at 8:23 PM:

@Laguna, I thought the same thing when I moved to PB.  But during storm season we get 6-8 waves.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 11/24/2011 at 11:36 AM:

Very nice.

My Prince Alberts are from Edward Green and Stubbs & Wootton, but I might have to give Del Toro a try.

I have to laugh at the picture of the surfboard. A surfboard…in Florida?! LOL!!

emjkmj left a comment on 11/23/2011 at 11:20 PM:

Show us some pics of your slippers… Is it a black watch plaid with any embroidery?

• Older Posts