• Navy Blue Blazer

Top Drawer | Style | Prep Essentials  

If there has been one mainstay in the closets of the well-dressed for the past century, it's the gold buttoned navy blue blazer. It's the work horse behind any prep's wardrobe worth a damn. Out grew the 9 year-old hand-me-down with your older brother's Prep school insignia? Not to worry. This one, interpreted by Norman Hilton in an 80/20 wool/cashmere blend, is as pure as it gets. And it's soft...real soft. Interpreted from an original Norman Hilton pattern from 1963, it boasts an undarted front, single hooked back vent, true natural shoulder, a classic 3/2 roll notch lapel, and a detachable throat latch.

Norman Hilton Charter Navy Blazer ($695), Benson & Clegg Fox Mask Buttons ($100)

In a move as sly as...well, a fox, I had my tailor swap out the unembellished buttons for a set of fox mask gold buttons redolent of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox. They are handmade in England by Benson & Clegg, a top quality bespoke tailor who happens to be a Royal Warrant holder to the Prince of Wales. The buttons are created by craftsmen following a tradition of artistry and excellence established in the 18th century. The navy blazer and fox mask buttons are both available at Sir Jack's, a preeminent outfitter to the modern gentleman.

Dec 2, 2011 | Permalink (24) View/Leave Comments

adrian f. williams left a comment on 2/14/2013 at 2:36 PM:

excellent!

Joshua Miller left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 8:04 AM:

I attend Hampden-Sydney College, the navy blazer has been a staple there for many many years. Just as a side note,  H-SC is known as the “Preppiest School in America”.

PP2318 left a comment on 12/31/2011 at 9:55 PM:

Is there a code to get the 35% off??  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Matt left a comment on 12/29/2011 at 4:07 PM:

After needing a new navy blazer for the better part of two years, I bought this exact one today. Norman Hilton now 35% off. I don’t believe I’ve seen it drop more, so get on that.

AGW left a comment on 12/28/2011 at 3:05 AM:

UP’ers- Pinstripe navy blazer v. navy blazer…. your take?

Donovan Addler left a comment on 12/19/2011 at 3:37 AM:

This is an absolute killer blazer. www.Theliverygoods.com has a Navy Brooks Brothers blazer for a great price! check it out.

aiden left a comment on 12/15/2011 at 3:23 AM:

where can u find that tie i love it pls help me castleberry

Robert left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 4:46 PM:

Great jacket. Even better styling and photo. Will be pinning to my inspiration board.

Makaga left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 11:37 AM:

Thank you for the headsup about this blue blazer.  Mine is getting a bit raggedy and this one sure looks good!

Brian E left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 4:16 PM:

Did this blazer come with four-button sleeves, or did you add more when you replaced them?  Most 3/2 sacks I’ve seen come with only two widely spaced buttons on the sleeves.  I think it makes it that much more distinctive.

Walker left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 1:16 PM:

Wonderful blazer and Fox Head button combo. Really impressed with the selection at Sir Jack’s.

Keeping with the fox theme: http://www.sirjacks.com/knot-belt-co-fox-head-horn-d-ring-belt/

emjkmj left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 8:28 AM:

@Rake, Thanks.  A little shocked at the retail difference though.

Rake left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 6:57 AM:

@emjkmj, Ben Silver does indeed source its buttons from Benson and Clegg - the vast majority of them, anyway. I am unsure of where the custom buttons are sourced from.

M Arthur left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 11:46 PM:

Doesn’t get any more prep than this.  The foundation of any wardrobe.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 10:37 PM:

@AEV, I would not be surprised of Ben Silver sourced their buttons from Benson & Clegg.  The fox head buttons are identical.  I know Ben Silver sources a lot of items in England.  Also, knowing how value driven you are, The Benson & Clegg are $100 and the Ben Silver are $225.

Mike E. left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 8:03 PM:

The blazer looks great.  Do you know if it’s fully canvassed?

khordkutta left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 6:41 PM:

Outstanding looking blazer, niice touch with the buttons, good looking combo.

Shawn left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 4:51 PM:

Tip of the hat sir.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 4:38 PM:

Ben Silver has a wide range of blazer buttons too…and, I believe, will even custom make them for an add’l fee.

CJG left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 4:04 PM:

Workhorse indeed.

Scott left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 4:04 PM:

Wonderful highlight of an indispensable classic.  Well done.

Chris left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 3:57 PM:

Love it!
    Who, may I ask, is YOUR tailor Mr. Castleberry? Fingers crossed he is near my hood (Nolita)

Cheers,
    Chris

Blevins left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 3:50 PM:

Benson and Clegg hold a royal warrant for their supply of buttons and badges and are possibly the best source of buttons on the planet.

AEV left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 3:21 PM:

Great combo - looks to be a terrific blazer.

• December 2011 Playlist

Music & Books  

This holiday season, I took the liberty of selecting my favorite Christmas tunes from Sufjan Stevens' Songs For Christmas. While the entire five CD set is a worthy soundtrack to the longest of gift wrapping sessions, if I had to choose 20, these would be it. Happy holidays.

Listen on Spotify

Dec 1, 2011 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

John left a comment on 12/24/2011 at 2:39 PM:

I’ll echo the comments of others - why not have the best of both worlds? Spotify + downloads. Seems like a no-brainer…

Jerry left a comment on 12/22/2011 at 12:10 PM:

Spotify isn’t available in my country.  Where did the option to download go?!!

Olivia left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 1:56 PM:

Should we still be able to download from itunes? I haven’t been able to do so with the past few playlists!

NPHAF left a comment on 12/3/2011 at 10:31 AM:

So glad to see that you’re using Spotify, makes me proud to be a swede!

John left a comment on 12/2/2011 at 11:57 PM:

Yes. “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” is a favorite of mine.

• Newer Posts