• Guaranteed to Last

Music & Books  

L.L. Bean is celebrating their 100th anniversary this year, in part, with a coffee table book reflecting on the history and the future of the Mainer outfitter. Guaranteed to Last explores the birth of the Maine Hunting Shoe and Bean’s place in American culture. In writing the book, Jim Gorman dug deep into the archives to find never before heard stories and gear that had never been photographed. Guaranteed to Last’s 224 pages offer scores of illustrations, photographs, and pieces of ephemera for even the most avid L.L. Bean devotee. Plus, it’ll give your guests something to flip through while you’re chopping the wood in your Bean Boots.

Jan 31, 2012 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

meg left a comment on 2/9/2012 at 8:52 PM:

love the boat and tote canvas siding!  classic.

• Prestat

Store Profiles  

Valentines Day is right around the corner and you’re thinking chocolates? Well, they aren’t cliche if they’re from the heart...and from one of the top chocolate shops in the world. Prestat, founded by confectioner and chocolatier Antoine Dufour in England in 1902, has held the Royal Warrant as purveyors of chocolate from her Majesty the Queen for over 35 years—essentially making Prestat known as the Queen of England’s chocolate makers. They also make a brilliant truffle. In fact, Defour and family created the chocolate truffle back in 1895. They were so good that Roald Dahl—author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory—made Prestat truffles central to his racy novel My Uncle Oswald. Try the sea salt caramel truffles. If they’re good enough for the Queen, they’re good enough for your Valentine.

Prestat's flagship shop at 14 Princes Arcade, Picadilly, London

Jan 30, 2012 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

john left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 8:16 PM:

Makes me hate that I swore off sugar.

Jessica left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 3:54 PM:

Dahl was one of my favorite authors, growing up!

• Quilting

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: quilted Barbour jacket, suede long wingtips.

Jan 27, 2012 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Z left a comment on 11/27/2012 at 1:33 PM:

Who makes these shoes?

K. left a comment on 2/16/2012 at 4:32 PM:

Who are you, sir?? And it’s great to see the south represented!

jeff st. denis left a comment on 2/12/2012 at 10:47 PM:

jess, you are a lucky lady…

mars ocho left a comment on 2/10/2012 at 11:11 PM:

he looks like a lawyer

Jessica Viator left a comment on 2/10/2012 at 3:17 PM:

What a good looking dude.

BAH left a comment on 2/9/2012 at 7:44 PM:

I just bought my boyfriend the same jacket for his birthday. Love how it’s styled here.

DJ Ren left a comment on 2/9/2012 at 1:21 PM:

Perfect - no affectations, just classic style.

Joe left a comment on 2/9/2012 at 10:36 AM:

Fred,

Like your work, gives great perspective.  What are you thoughts on casual office shoes besides, shell cordovan loafers, etc…?

MGM left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 10:53 PM:

LOVE the look.  This guy has really great style.  Everything works perfectly.  Fantastic!

Dave T left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 6:44 PM:

A+.  I agree with Caroline, it’s nice to see these profiles again.

Caroline | Back Down South left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 3:14 PM:

This is the Unabashedly Prep I know and love!

ANH Style left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 2:48 PM:

Great look. I bought my first quilted Barbour jacket a few months ago and I rarely go anywhere without it now.

Stockton AndrewsII left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 1:25 PM:

Great casual look. I like all of it.

• Fashion Week Invitations

Miscellany  

New York fashion week invitations have started rolling in, not only by email, but by snail mail. In this day and age of evites, emails, and eCards, an event invitation delivered by the postal service speaks to an air of formality in what is now a society known for flaccid etiquette. I’d expect nothing less of the preppy designers showing at this year’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. Two of my favorites—embossed pebble grain leather and heavy card-stock presented in a tabbed folding envelope—arrived from Tommy Hilfiger and Gant. And since an invitation takes two to tango, don’t forget to RSVP (whether accepting or declining).

Jan 26, 2012 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Featured in Town & Country, Mar. 12

Miscellany  

The March issue of Town & Country is out on newsstands right now and includes a nice blurb about what I do here on Unabashedly Prep. Featured in a double page spread with me is my good chum Kiel James Patrick, Sarah Vickers, and Blair Brandt and Belton Baker of The Next Step Realty. You don’t have to pick up the magazine to read the feature (just click on the images to enlarge them), but the images of Olivia Wilde inside will make you reconsider.

Jan 25, 2012 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Daniel left a comment on 2/10/2012 at 12:27 AM:

@kjp: My condolences, I’ve been there far too many times myself. Must’ve been quite the night before though!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/9/2012 at 12:59 AM:

Nice. It’s almost as if you’re becoming this generation’s Slim Aarons.

Pat Furey left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 7:59 PM:

Damn, Fred. Well earned. Still remember following you from your wedding days… You’ve come along way. Keep enjoying the ride.

Tori L left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 5:35 PM:

** Can’t forget your good chum Tori Linder too. I’ll be famous too, just give it time. (I haven’t even hit my 20’s yet!)

Congratulations Fred! So happy for you. Coming home to find the group in T&C last night made for quite the time. We’ll be sure to celebrate next time you find yourself on the island. You deserve it! xx T

CRF left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 4:17 PM:

How far we’ve all come since “Boat Shoes and Blazers”!! Thrilled to see you and KJP in my favorite book. Congrats on the success.

Beth Dunn left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 3:17 PM:

That is so exciting!
    xoxo
    SC

Rebecca left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 3:09 PM:

Congratulations! Great photo.

stephanie left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 1:59 PM:

Looking forward to receiving this in the mail!!

cam left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 11:04 AM:

I’m the wannabe Fred, which are you?

Glenn left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 9:38 AM:

Fred, well done….Very jealous!

Mike Larson left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 2:52 AM:

Nice Fred!!! Well done.

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 1:46 AM:

So serious??  No…  so hungover.  I could barely move that day.  Good times.

Blair left a comment on 2/8/2012 at 1:03 AM:

Simply marvelous! Congrats to you darling!

Tripp Potts left a comment on 2/7/2012 at 11:13 PM:

congratulations! this is a really really exciting monument in your life/ career! So cool.

JMH left a comment on 2/7/2012 at 11:10 PM:

Congrats on all your success FEC!

• Older Posts