• The Bonfire of the Vanities

Music & Books  

I'm reading avidly these days. After several zealous endorsements from friends, I plunged into Tom Wolfe's 1980s New York.  Wolfe's critically acclaimed The Bonfire of the Vanities ruthlessly exposes the superficiality of 1980s culture through the protagonist of Park Avenue resident and bond trader, Sherman McCoy. In a biting satiric style, he spares no one from the top to the bottom of society. He directs his most serious criticism, however, to the upper class, with their extravagant dinner parties, 6-block hired-car rides which cost $250, and thousand-dollar flower arrangements. Wolfe's version of New York in The Bonfire of the Vanities displays the worst of human nature, and very little of the good. Though most of the characters of all races and classes are shown to be selfish and morally flawed, the wealthy WASP world of Sherman McCoy is shown to be the worst bastion of, prejudice, elitism, and self-delusion.

Although Bonfire was adapted into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis in 1990, it was a flop. Stick to the book (as usual). At 690 pages, its a thick, but intriguing, commentary on a 1980s New York. In 2007, on the book's 20th anniversary of publication, The New York Times published a retrospective on how the city had changed since Wolfe's novel, titled "No Longer the City of 'Bonfire' in Flames."

Jan 24, 2012 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

preppychic left a comment on 4/15/2012 at 10:45 AM:

my bible - since 10 years…

Genio left a comment on 2/16/2012 at 4:44 PM:

I have read the book and wtcehad the movie, and I have to say that this review is very fair. Tom Wolfe packs a page-y novel with a detailed story, including many attitudes and thoughts of the characters, which simply cannot be transferred to film. To make matters worse, the direction of the film overall is lacking refinement as mentioned above.Perhaps the source of some of my biggest disappointment was the casting. The film sacrifices some of the physical qualities of the aristocratic Sherman McCoy character by casting Hanks for the role. Sherman McCoy is supposed to have a very strong chin, which is supposed to be telling of his aristocratic background and wealth. Tom Hanks lacks this attribute along with some of the others which build McCoy into a much harder character to like in the book than in the movie. While these are superficial subtleties, Hanks lacking broad shoulders and a strong chin, I would say they add to an overall disappointment with catsing Hanks as McCoy. If you still do not see my point consider this: Sherman McCoy and Forrest Gump played by the same actor. Hanks is versatile, and incapable of being type-casted, but he does not have the phyiscal stature which says: I am a powerful, wealthy person.Do not even get me started with Bruce Willis’s casting for the role of Peter Fallow. As an actor I like Willis, but he does not play a drunk British news reporter well. Lacks an accent, and he has some un-refined acting qualities which make it difficult for him to play a serious character. Great job in Fifth Element though.In fact I think, rather than making a good film which is serious in subject but made lighter with some humorous characters, the overall feeling of the film is less serious because it is so unrefined in the ways mentioned by the above critic above.

MS left a comment on 2/7/2012 at 3:30 PM:

Very meta, FEC. Surprised you enjoyed the book, given that it is, in many ways, a vicious satiric criticism of the very lifestyle (NYC - Hamptons - Palm Beach) you espouse to aspire to.

Aggie K left a comment on 2/7/2012 at 10:49 AM:

I love A Man in Full, too, although it reminded of Houston in the 80’s.

Andy M. left a comment on 2/6/2012 at 8:41 AM:

Fantastic book.  As an Atlanta resident, I’m equally fascinated by A Man in Full, his take on Atlanta in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Although the main characters take a turn for the weird in the end, it’s a great read and a well-written commentary of a city with its own peculiar history.

MGM left a comment on 2/5/2012 at 12:17 PM:

Great post.  Tom Wolfe is great on cultural satire, but let me point out that this sort of thing *really* began with Thorstein Veblen.  If you enjoyed this book, then I would strongly urge you to read Veblen’s Theory of the Leisure Class.  His insights are so revelatory it’s scary.  His basic point is that wealth is valuable ONLY because it arouses envy in those around us.  And that is the only reason it is pursued and enjoyed.

And then, on the other hand, for those looking for a sort of “subtle” satire on the same theme, the “plays” of Oscar Wilde are all really good.  God, I lived on those plays for many years.  I tried so hard to cultivate the art of speaking just the way Mr. Wilde wrote.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/5/2012 at 1:11 AM:

“Excesses” weren’t limited to the 1980s, that much-maligned decade.

M Arthur left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 10:01 PM:

NYC superficiality?  Ya think it’s limited to the 80’s?

Paul left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 4:03 PM:

A post about Tom Wolf and you don’t even mention the white suit?

Zach left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 3:28 PM:

You should give some of Mr. Wolfe’s other novels a read.  “I Am Charlotte Simmons” has the same style of social commentary but in collegiate setting.  Prep introspection?

Interesting style for a prep-school/Washington and Lee graduate from Richmond, VA.

Raynette left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 2:23 PM:

Read this back in high school.  Not sure I “got it” back then and have been thinking of re-reading it lately.  Thanks for the reminder to put it in the queue for when I’m ready for a long read!

Clyde Shuman left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 1:17 PM:

The first time you read it, especially if the NYC depicted is foreign to you, something exotic, you’ll be mesmerized.  The second time you read it, you’ll be blue-penciling all those parts which would have been served by a waste can.  The single best line is up front, in the prologue: “You think the future doesn’t know how to cross a bridge?”

• Bag It Up

Style  

If you live in a city with a strong walking culture, you likely have a bag in your hands, across your chest, or on your back every time you walk out the door. HABIT GOODS, a small design firm out of Chicago, offers a line of canvas tote bags boasting bright, vivid resort motifs. The totes feature heavy-weight canvas, a reinforced flat bottom, and a small interior pocket. While in Lyford Cay last week, it was the perfect carry-all for (golf) carting around the club, heading to the beach, and reading poolside. When you’re not on island, HABIT’s bags are just as ideal for toting home your groceries as they are for a warm weekend getaway.

HABIT GOODS medium canvas tote* ($40)

Where would you take a HABIT tote? Share with me in the comments and you could find this medium canvas tote in your hands. Contest ends February 3rd, 2012.

*courtesy of HABIT GOODS

Jan 23, 2012 | Permalink (110) View/Leave Comments

Julie left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 5:11 PM:

First, on the plane to Palm Beach, where it would hold all my vacation magazines. Next, to the pool this summer, for the same purpose. But realistically, it will likely most often be used carrying groceries and other assorted odds and ends on an ordinary day, only so stylishly it can always remind me of those more relaxed times.

Kenzie left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 4:29 PM:

Mackinaw island this summer—perfect for tennis and golf!

Amber left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 3:58 PM:

I’d Loveeee to carry my piano music around In this!!!

David left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 3:35 PM:

This tote and I would have wonderful adventures together. We would follow the small lines on the map, just to see where they went.  I would empty my shoe boxes of old love letters into it.  Take them all to the cabin, only to read them one last time before placing them into the fire.  We would bring home wonderful finds from thrift stores and tag sales. 
    Who am I kidding?  I would use it for run of the mill grocery shopping.  It would bring a smile to my face and put a spring into my step.

Amber Higgins left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 3:24 PM:

Fred, I will take that everywhere I go bc it will hold the 100 things I pack in my purse just perfectly including a towel for the pool. Oh incase you were wondering it WILL be monogrammed ;).

Ashley left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 3:21 PM:

If I had this on my shoulder in Jamaica in June I could pretend that I’m in St. Barths instead!

Karen left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 2:59 PM:

No doubt about it, this tote has appeal that goes on for miles. I, therefore, would carry it with me for miles from the East to West Coast on my next trip to CA. It would first come out to play in SanFran perhaps on a picnic with my friends and their children, and then when I made it to LA, I’d take it out to the pool at the Four Seasons.

Michelle left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 2:59 PM:

The yellow is so fun and spring-y!  I’d use it to try and escape the cold Wisconsin winter and carry my books around campus!

Zach left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 12:28 PM:

This would look great on my wife’s arm as she carries book and assignments around campus.

Joanna left a comment on 2/3/2012 at 11:44 AM:

I would take this tote to work on nice days… it would add some much needed color and flair to my boring navy suit. After work I would add sunblock and a book to hide at out the pool.

Shannon left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 11:18 PM:

This wonderful tote would prove a very deserving gift to my loving wife who just gave birth to our second child - another son!  I am sure she would love to bring it along on our Family Spring Break Trip to Panama City Beach, Florida where I’m sure she would use it to carry books and towels as we relax on the sandy surf….

Christina left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 10:35 PM:

I would throw my books in it and head to the Undergraduate Library to study organic chem and bio.  Then I would pack an apple in it and head out to the barn to enjoy a hack in this beautiful weather we have been having.

Sally left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 10:05 PM:

The fist picnic of the summer at the yacht club - it would compliment the Maine coast well.

Legal Preppy left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 12:04 PM:

I would take this tote with me to school every day!

Mike left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 10:02 AM:

I would take it to my wife’s (just married!) favorite paper store and have it gift-wrapped, then have her bring it with us on our honeymoon to Morocco.

Mike left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 2:29 AM:

This amazing tote and it’s accent of color really shout out,“Cali, ready for summer?!” Well I certaintly am, and I would love to head on over to the sunny beaches of Cali parading this really cool bag filled with all my favorite items! I am also heading over to New York soon and it be really something to be able to use this tote for a nice picnic in central park! Also, there’s no way I wouldnt take this awesome tote down to my local farmers market! I not only love this tote because of its splendid color and pattern, but I also greatly admire its great built and functionality. That’s why I personally know I will find a million uses for this bag and take it on my many adventures. Besides, who doesn’t like turning heads once in a while?;)

Tracy left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 1:20 AM:

Mine would make frequent trips to the beach as well as the market!  I love it!

Colby left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 12:04 AM:

It would carry my groceries home from the store in fashion…

Megan left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 9:15 PM:

I would tote this bag all over NYC. I would fill it with good literature (nothing worse than an uncultured tote) to read on the train. I would also use this handy tote to bring an extra sweater along- you can never have too many layers at hand. This tote would take me from the office to the park to the train to a drop in at 346. Oh, the places I would take this tote!

Shivani left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 9:07 PM:

I would take this to the NFL Qualifier’s Tournament for Debate to get ready for Nationals! Brightening up the chamber and dressing/accessorizing to impress and win!

Eliza left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 8:02 PM:

I would take this tote to collegiate sailing regattas across New England. It would be perfect to throw in a few books and snacks to eat on the dock during off sets. I think I would spare it the agony and smell of subjecting it to wet sailing gear; it’s too cute for that!

Andrew left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 5:28 PM:

I would load it up with beach accessories, take it out to the Oregon coast; praying for sunshine the entire time spent driving out there, then getting disappointed when I see gray clouds and rain. At this point, I would empty it out and do some shopping at the antique stores, using the tote as my shopping bag.

Rasheed left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 4:11 PM:

I’ll be taking a couple trips to Myrtle Beach, the Outer Banks of NC, and Southampton. That bag would look great on my girlfriend’s arm, toting our towels & beach essentials.

Meredith left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 4:03 PM:

I would fill it will art books, a rolled up sweater and a thermos of hot coffee. It would double for toting home photo props such as antlers and fishing creel.

MR ROMO left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 3:57 PM:

I’d use this bag to carry around my Barbour bag.

Chris left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 11:18 AM:

You’ve nailed the best use for the tote already, I think. Take it to the beach (maybe fire island?), fill it with books, towels, and a corona or two, and maybe tennis whites in case there’s a chance for a casual match.

Blair left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 11:10 AM:

What a charming way to carry your music to a spring rehearsal at the Opera!

Ryan left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 10:07 AM:

This would look great with me walking through the old streets of Charleston, SC this summer. Along with my rolled up chinos and a slim, royal blue polo….of course.

Hartley left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 10:00 AM:

I’m headed on to the British Virgin Islands in March—this would be ideal for carrying things to and from the sailboat!

Makaga left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 9:50 AM:

That bag would be the best surf gear bag this spring and summer up in Montauk.  Carry a towel, bottle of water, some snacks, and a magazine for train ride - perfection!

Catherine left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 9:24 AM:

I’d take this tote on my upcoming trip to Paris! I’ll need a good, sturdy tote to haul home all my finds from Les Puces…

Andy Sniegowski left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 7:14 AM:

Surf Bar. Folly Beach, SC

Tiffany left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 1:21 AM:

After recently graduating college, I have been taking the opportunity to travel. This would be a fantastic bag to carry my essentials as I explore the wonders of the world.

Sidonie left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 12:53 AM:

I would take my tote to Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich, Ct while my boyfriend shops at Rugby Ralph Lauren

Sidonie left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 12:51 AM:

I would take the tote to Greenwich Ave. while my boyfriend shops at Rugby Ralph Lauren.

Emily left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 12:50 AM:

I’d carry my books around campus - anything to brighten up a grey Vermont day!

Kristie left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 12:40 AM:

This bag would be fabulous to carry my all my work and school stuff in and would brighten up a cold, winter Washington DC morning amongst all the black and grey suits on Capitol Hill!

Lee Anne left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 12:24 AM:

I’d carry this to the park with a blanket and a book. The fun color & pattern would add a nice touch to any ensemble.

Jennipher left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 10:18 PM:

I’d take it to Esperanza in Cabo - where I’m headed next week!

Gena left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 9:43 PM:

This bag would be my new go- to bag for any and everything. From packing my books for school, to my gym clothes and lunch bag for work.  Yellow would be so great, especially down here in San Antonio, we have Fiesta coming soon!

RowBoat left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 9:16 PM:

Around Brooklyn and the City this spring and then on the boat this summer!

Ryan left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 9:04 PM:

I would give it to a women, because that’s who clearly would carry it.

CJ left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 8:04 PM:

This would be the perfect tote for summer weekends at the river, but until then I’d use it to carry all my heavy grad school textbooks to class. It would definitely make going to three hour, night school classes a little bit bearable.

Grace left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:59 PM:

This would be a fabulous bag to put my books in for my last semester of my Senior year at Baylor! It would also be great when I hit the beach for spring break! As an added bonus yellow is my favorite color :)

Mariel left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:47 PM:

I would love to carry my books around in this for a splash of color during a long day at the library!

Ashley left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:39 PM:

I’d take this little bag to California this summer & tote it around in the sunshine. And then when I came back home, it would want to come with me to the grocery store. And if it came with me to the grocery store, it would want to snap up some bright berries & nice and colorblocky. Haha!

Anne left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:35 PM:

This would be the perfect complement to summers on the Cape—so functional, so prep.  Love the sunny shade.

Victor Delta left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:27 PM:

Actually, I would need two bags. I would cut through the center of one handle strap on each bag and sew the two together like saddle bags. Throw them over the rear rack on my bike and head off to the grocery store. At the store, you throw them over the side of the grocery cart. Now you know how much you can carry home. with the groceries nestled in the bags, you have room to bungee cord a half rack of Becks onto the rack. Too fun!
    Throw them over the rear fende

Christina Valenzuela left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:18 PM:

This bag would sit perfectly against my Lacoste-clad torso as I lounge poolside under the Phoenician sun.

Victoria Griffin left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:15 PM:

I would take it up island on Martha’s Vineyard to hangout with James Taylor at the Outermost Inn. Then I would head to the Chappaquiddick beach. For the rest of the day I would take it to Edgartown to shop and hopefully fit all of my goodies.

Sarah left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 7:07 PM:

In my last semester of college, this bag would brighten up my walks around campus in the Georgia winter (which is just like spring) and spring (which is just like summer). I’d fill it with anatomy and biology books until graduation in May, and then tote it around the pool, beach, and tennis courts over the summer!

Mary left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:53 PM:

this would be the perfect size to use when you have to make a quick trip to the market… just because you’re grabbing some groceries doesn’t mean you can have a great bag to put them in!

Adri left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:38 PM:

I would take it on location to shoots for magazines and books I use for inspiration.  It’s a great print.

Lauren N left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:32 PM:

I would use it to carry books & pens between classes—or to carry a quick read, sunglasses, and a water bottle to the beach! Perfect size and pattern.

Gina left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:16 PM:

This bag would be perfect to carry to work! I love the color and print!

Courtney W left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:06 PM:

I would take it to my staff meetings for my new children’s pastor job!

kate left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:06 PM:

i’d use this bag for student teaching, to the pool to swim laps, down to Mexico in March, around Boston or New York next year for Grad School, as a teacher years after, and as a mother eventually!

Rachel Hicks left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 6:03 PM:

I’ll use it when I’m dashing around DC from work to cocktail party or dinner at Capital Club!

Alexandra Williamson left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:58 PM:

I would take this bag everywhere. I’d fill it with some reading materials at Square Books in Oxford, MS, then out to the Grove to read. Then maybe brighten up the business school with it when it’s time for class.

Christian left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:57 PM:

I would take it to Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico and rock it around the town,the beaches, Tennis Courts, The Marina…

Jacob left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:52 PM:

To the local Philharmonic and to every jazz club in the city!

Patti left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:45 PM:

Laguna Beach.  I’d take it down to village ...

Andrea left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:44 PM:

This bag is sure to brighten my days in the law library. Drab law books bound in masculine maroons and navys will have a sunny, trellised space to inhabit. Winter meets spring early this year to daydream of sweet summer lemonade!

Amy left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:28 PM:

I would take this bag everywhere; the store, work, overnight trips…

Tripp Potts left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:27 PM:

I would take it to the beautiful beaches in Miami Beach where my parents just bought a really sick house!

Christen left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:26 PM:

I’d take this to the store, the lake, and possibly even use it as an overnight bag if I’m not taking much!

Ashley left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:17 PM:

I’d take this bag EVERYWHERE! I’d use it for picking up groceries at Sunflowers, and at the Dallas Farmer’s Market. I’d use it to put my toddler’s things in for day trips on the weekend. And I’d DEFINITELY use it when I take my mom to NYC for her first time for a weekend trip this April!

JASH left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:12 PM:

That’s the type my gf and I should’ve had this summer where we met on the Mediterranean. Something to carry lunch, a book, and towels (for that damned pebble beach in Nice) in.

Kristen left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:56 PM:

I would take this bag to work with me on the hot days of June, July & August, filled with a white bikini, linen tunic dress and leather sandals. It’s always at quarter to 5 on a work day that I think of the bag in my car filled with necessities for the boat ride, campus golf & bbq I’ve been waiting for all day.

(Though I’m sure I would find myself using this adorable bag much sooner!)

Henry Ferrill left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:55 PM:

I’d take this everywhere. South Tampa’s Hyde Park, Tampa Yacht and Country Club, Palma Ceia. You name it, I’d take it there!

Jodi left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:52 PM:

There’s a tiny island called L’Ile de Groix off the coast of Bretagne in France. There the bag would be filled with a crusty baguette and some fresh brie, a good French existential novel, and lavender (picked up during the walk through the fields to the beach). Of course, what would the bag be without an Hermes scarf tied to the handle? Bags deserve accessories, too, especially ones as cheerful as this one!

Charles left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:47 PM:

I would use it to pick up groceries and stash in the care at the new Publix (finally) in Palm beach…..It is cool to be organic especially with some style..:)

Beth Dreyer left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:44 PM:

Heck I’d rock that yummy tote as a diaper bag :-)

William left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:43 PM:

Awesome bag!! For the rest of the semester a bag like that would be the perfect tote carry around my campus and to and from class at Columbia University and the first week of summer it would be on a flight to nantucket to spend some time at the White Elephant and lots of beach time down at Madaket!

Kyle Wood left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:39 PM:

I would undoubtedly fill this handy tote with all sorts of Pine Cove essentials: Ultimate Discs, my vintage dishwashing apron, rubber gloves, and of course my ping pong paddle.

Lauren left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:28 PM:

I would take this cheerful bag all around campus to bring some sunshine and jump start spring. It would also be a great beach bag to hold my Jack Rodgers and Raybans on spring break!

Paul left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:23 PM:

On the high-speed ferry to P-Town, of course. Perfect size to stash an extra sweatshirt, my laptop, my sunglass case, a novel by Annie Dillard, and a flask, (natch).

Elissa left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:13 PM:

The Habit tote would find itself carried to all my habitual bay area hang outs. Monday happy hour at Aventine, thursday farmers market at the Embarcadero, and weekend romping thru Golden Gate Park!

Peter left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 4:12 PM:

I could see myself using it on one of the first warm spring days, packing it with all sorts of goodies and then taking my wonderful girl out for a picnic in the woods. That or I would use it to carry my finds as I go cratedigging for vinyl.

Jamie left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:56 PM:

I would take this tote with me to Central Park on a summer or spring day. This would hold all the essentials for a lazy Sunday in Sheep’s Meadow or the Great Lawn- blanket, book, snack, and sunglasses.

Amelia left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:54 PM:

I’d love to use this bag for classes and for my internship here in Austin. It would also be perfect for my spring break vacation, be it at the beach or in Dallas for shopping and visiting family.

Courtney left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:42 PM:

I would take it to law school. It’s hard to find a sturdy, fashionable bag to put my textbooks and laptop in. And of course, once this New England weather turns, it’ll be a great tote to take to the coast.

Daniel J left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:36 PM:

I would give it to my sister so that she could carry it with our books during those hot summer days on the beautiful and quiet beaches of the Swedish archipelago. She really likes to collect big shells during our beach walks as a memory, and with the tote bag we can collect these moments and memories. It is only those moments we are at peace together.

Kendra left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:35 PM:

I work at an all-girls boarding school and we have to be prepared for everything! This would be a great catch all bag for everything from papers that need grading to band aids to spare field hockey balls!

Lexie left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:34 PM:

This bag would be perfect for everything from trips to Seaside to carrying my books around campus!!

Kasha left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:33 PM:

How lovely!  It would go with me all over Philadelphia…..this city needs a pop of yellow, stylish sunshine!

Courtney left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:30 PM:

That would be such a great bag to carry to class and to my sorority chapter meetings!

kelly lehman left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:28 PM:

It would be a great bag to take to horse shows. I always need a tote to take ringside when my girls are showing.

Sheridan left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:26 PM:

I don’t know how you feel about shipping this to France, but I’m on the West coast over here learning the language of love. Would love to stuff all my books and French newspapers in this to haul to class or use it to port my groceries to and from the market.

Jaedeanne left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:24 PM:

This would be the perfect accessory for me to take on the plane as I’m trekking across the country for work.  Next up is Miami, so that would be perfect!

Shannonigans left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:23 PM:

What a beautiful color to carry around campus for the dreary winter months! I’ll stuff mine with books and my thermos, all ready for a day at the library.

QD left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:20 PM:

Everywhere.

Ana left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:20 PM:

I would take the tote on my daily adventures, safely tucked under my equally colorful umbrella. To the library, to work (compliments would pour in!), to lunch with a friend I made on vacation. And of course, packing picnic fare come summer.

Steffie left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:15 PM:

I’d use this bag to finish up my senior year at Northwestern with a preppy bang!

Miranda Korschun left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:07 PM:

And I am always sad that I have yet to run into you anywhere downtown when you’re visiting your home town. Maybe if I win the tote I’ll run into you at a Rangers game or at the Modern in FW and be able to show you that it’s being put to very good use.

Miranda Korschun left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:04 PM:

The lemon yellow of the tote reminds me of my favorite summer dessert: lemon bars. I live in the DFW, TX area but go to school in Virginia. This tote would suit my air travel well. I am constantly scoping out totes/luggage while waiting for my plane to board. And honestly, who doesn’t need a carry-all to toss your iPad, a sweater, or whatever else into on your way out the door?

Em left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:04 PM:

I’m studying abroad in Japan and this bag and I would truly get to see the world!

Ajibike left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:00 PM:

Totes are all the rage at Princeton and I can certainly see myself using it this upcoming semester; my friends and I are actually planning a Spring Break trip to Miami so I could see myself using it there as well!

marcel left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 3:00 PM:

I ll put the sun in the bag and take it from lima back home..

Sara Allen left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:59 PM:

I would take it to school to carry all of my preppy teacher needs. Show the kids their teacher knows how to carry graded assignments in style.

Johanna left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:56 PM:

I’d pack my iceskates and some hot cocoa in it and head to the skating-rink

Liz left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:55 PM:

I’d use it to add some color to the dreary winter commute!

Julie left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:55 PM:

I’d take it for a weekend trip to Round Top.

Melissa left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:54 PM:

I’d carry this beautiful bag to the grocery store to pick up some snacks, then to the library to pick up a good book, then off to the coffee shop for a relaxing afternoon of reading!

Emily Benson left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:53 PM:

I would take my tote to the bookstore and spend an afternoon filling it with amazing finds!

Jess left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:53 PM:

I would take this tote bag throughout town in Columbus, Ohio, where I currently reside. The Midwest needs a touch of brightness and preppiness to keep my spirit up.

Victoria left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:48 PM:

I’d take the bag to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland then sailing in Marblehead Harbor on lazy Saturday afternoons.

Gabrielle left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:44 PM:

I would use this tote to bring all my papers and such back and forth to work, a great way to brighten up the walk on grey days!

Teagan left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:43 PM:

I’d have to agree with Stephanie! Dashing down Newbury, definitely. It’s the perfect size and colour! It’d definitely brighten up the rainy Comm Ave walks.

Stephanie left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 2:39 PM:

Whether it’s dashing down to Newbury for an afternoon, or toting books around campus, I can see myself using this bag all the time! It might even hold my squash racquet if I’m lucky….

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Surviving

Miscellany  

Jan 20, 2012 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Michael Kors Outle left a comment on 5/20/2014 at 8:42 AM:

Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.
    Michael Kors Outle http://michaelkors.atshop.biz

Bunky Cushing left a comment on 2/11/2012 at 7:26 AM:

CZ Guest wrote in a scribbly-print style—a bit like Jacqueline Kennedy—and always in green ink—not in a ‘one too many Bloody Marys’ Palmer Method that is used in the note—but, great idea! I read of your site in the March T&C, and it is fantastic!—spending today going through your archives—-Bunky Cushing

Steven Stolman left a comment on 2/2/2012 at 10:48 PM:

Susanna darling,

The handwriting is recreated.

Cheers!

Poloist left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 3:04 PM:

OH, and that’s design. Sometimes I type sp fast I don’t know what keys I’m hitting. Ooooops!

Poloist left a comment on 2/1/2012 at 3:03 PM:

@M Aurthur, I agree. This is a rule that not only is used for fashion, but all forms of Desing. Form Follows Funtion.

susanna salk left a comment on 1/31/2012 at 5:27 PM:

HI
    Is this a real CZ quote you think? (Her real handwriting or recreated) Where did you find it? Want to use in my upcoming CZ Guest/Rizzoli book…Tanks for nay insight! Best, S

M Arthur left a comment on 1/30/2012 at 9:06 PM:

Style is about form, appearance and character.

• Lookmatic

Style  

Tortoise frames have long been a part of my daily uniform since high school. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me who made my glasses, I'd have $88—enough to buy another pair. The hand-made, hand polished frame of my favorite pair is vaguely reminiscent of Tart Optical’s classic FDR silhouette, only hundreds of dollars less.

Lookmatic RX FDR glasses* in tortoise ($88)

I distinctly remember the era when stylish eyeglasses were a high dollar solution to a common problem. In fact, the tail end of that era is still lingering. It was only two years ago I coughed up close to $500 for a pair of stylish prescription eyeglasses. That’s fine for those with more money than sense. But for the rest of us replacing our prescription eyewear every year, it’s a bittersweet experience.

The dirty secret about the eyewear industry is that the margins are huge—fragrance margin huge. That’s changing. From the industry movers and shakers that brought you “glasses in about an hour”, comes Lookmatic, the one-stop online shop offering high-quality, stylish prescription eye glasses, prescription sunglasses, and readers. Their offering is vast but cohesive; and a home trial of up to five frames ensures you’ll find the most flattering silhouettes. The kicker? They’re only $88.

*courtesy of Lookmatic

Jan 19, 2012 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 3:10 PM:

@Paul Loman—My jacket is grey herringbone.

@Jon—I wear Rugby because I like the fit, I like Ralph Lauren, and I like the imagination they exhibit in certain product areas. Like any store, you actually have to spend some time feeling the clothes, trying them on, talking to the sales people about them. Also keep in mind the price points at Rugby…not everything is going to be something you keep for generations (although we do make some of those pieces—but you’re gonna pay for ‘em).

Paul Loman left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 8:27 AM:

might I ask is this blazer gray or green? I am having a debate with a friend. Thank you

Jon left a comment on 2/14/2012 at 9:01 PM:

@FEC Although I believe that you are not advertising for Rugby, I don’t understand why you wear so much of them… I’ve entered a rugby store twice and both times quickly left because what ever I’ve felt or tried has been bad quality even if they do have some good looking items. Is this the case or have I just had bad luck?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/6/2012 at 9:50 AM:

@George—Your source is inaccurate. Every item of Rugby clothing I have ever worn on Unabashedly Prep was paid for by my hard-earned cash. If there is such an advertising program at Rugby, I don’t know about it. Your girlfriend has good taste if she likes you in no socks in the summer and spring…keep her around.

George left a comment on 2/6/2012 at 1:59 AM:

@FEC Hmmm. Someone told me you are part of a new type of advertising campaign, where the blogger appears to pick outfits from their own “closet” but are really given free goods… Even if this is true, you rock them so god damn well. My girlfriend is in love with you. Hell, she won’t even let me wear socks anymore!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/4/2012 at 12:49 PM:

@George—No.

George left a comment on 2/4/2012 at 11:08 AM:

Do you work for Rugby?

Maurice left a comment on 1/29/2012 at 4:59 PM:

I copied this look yesterday

Heny Thomas left a comment on 1/29/2012 at 11:59 AM:

That’s fine for those with more money than sense?  Interesting interpretation of good judgment - what about those who buy a single pair of glasses and wear them for more than a year?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 12:30 PM:

@John & Stet—The blazer is by Rugby.

Stet left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 12:15 PM:

FE - not to distract from the emphasis on the glasses, but where is that blazer from?  It’s great.

John Piazza left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 11:49 AM:

That is exactly the jacket I’m looking for. Would you tell me who makes it?

The Untidy Pilgrim left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 11:00 AM:

So, what about those glasses? Pretty cool, huh? And for only $88?

tyler left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 5:46 PM:

Great discovery. Thanks for sharing. What is the name of the model you have on in the photo? Thank you!

Brad left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 5:40 PM:

If readers enjoy this post, they should also check out Warby Parker (www.warbyparker.com). Not only are their prices just as reasonable as Lookmatic, but they also provide a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair they sell.

Makaga left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 3:09 PM:

Hey F.E. Castlebery, I enjoyed this posting.  As an eyewear designer I do enjoy the margins (it pays my salary) and I do enjoy the other brands popping up that are cutting down their margins to improve sales.  It’s a neat business model.  I wonder how long they’ll last in the industry.  What are your thoughts?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 3:04 PM:

It’s amusing to see you wearing such nice clothing—in greasy diners and downtown burger parlors.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 1:00 PM:

@Jeff—Lookmatic offers the home trial. Simply call them if you cannot find it on the website. They will get you set up.

Jeff left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 12:58 PM:

I am trying to find the home try on, but cannot find it anywhere on the site.  Are you getting it confused with the Warby Parker home try on that they do?  Or does Lookmatic do it as well and I just can’t find it.

Alfred left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 11:58 AM:

Love the burger joint background.

• The Home Bar

Culture | Prep Essentials  

There is a saying, “If you’re lucky enough to live close to the water, then you’re lucky enough.” Consider yourself lucky enough when you find yourself in Lyford Cay—the gated community in the Bahamas considered one of the world’s richest and most exclusive neighborhoods. When members aren’t quenching their thirst with the club’s signature Rum Dum*—a mix of Light Bacardi Rum, lemon juice, simple syrup, water, raw egg white, and dark rum—they’re pouring their own favorites. Every Lyford Cay house boasts the one key ingredient to entertaining—the home bar. Whether atop a liquor tray or hidden neatly behind folding doors, it’s always discreet. Preppies don’t advertise their affinity for it but it’s always within arms reach.

Pytchley Lodge home bar

I’m here on a job for Quadrille, the WASPy fabric company which happens to cover the walls, windows, and pillows of every other Lyford Cay home. After settling into a pale pink cottage by the name of Pytchley Lodge (WASPs name their homes, don’t ya know), I pull back the doors to the charming bar and mix up my favorite warm weather drink, a Southside. It’s refreshing but don’t take my word for it. Mix it up for yourself.

In a shaker, muddle a few mint leaves (don’t pulverize them). Then add ice, two shots of gin, three-quarters of an ounce of simple syrup, three-quarters of an ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice, and a few drops of Angostura bitters. Shake hard for a good ten seconds and strain into a glass, either up or on the rocks.

*Since Lyford Cay Club bartender Wilfred Sands concocted it in 1971, it’s been a mainstay ever since.

Jan 18, 2012 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

MS left a comment on 1/30/2012 at 12:52 PM:

You forgot the cucumber, FEC! Not a Southside without ‘em.

emjkmj left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 5:32 PM:

I need to do this in my office!

Amatourist left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 2:13 PM:

you know the staff call it Lifeless Cay, and in some respects I can see why. but for house parties and the Little Club she tends to shutter down pretty early.  last time I was there, New Year 2009 I think, saw the sunrise on Captain’s Beach with rum in hand. so, you know, not always lifeless.

JNN left a comment on 1/28/2012 at 1:58 PM:

@cam @todd Jack is indeed not bourbon and place has nothing to do with it as you say. However, the “label” restriction is not true.

http://www.garrisonbros.com/
    Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Stockton AndrewsII left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 6:05 PM:

Very nicely done! I like the miniature figures in white tunics on the center shelf. Never drink alone!

The preppies left a comment on 1/27/2012 at 3:59 AM:

For some american fashion, visit my blog

http://thepreppies.wordpress.com/

cam left a comment on 1/26/2012 at 11:54 PM:

@tad - indeed bourbon can be made anywhere in the US as long as it follows the formula. that being said, only bourbon made in kentucky can use the word “bourbon” on the label. if you ask anyone from kentucky, which I so happen to be, it isn’t bourbon if it isn’t from kentucky

Tad Allagash left a comment on 1/26/2012 at 10:45 PM:

Nice bar, love all the mini portraits, like the ghosts of cocktails past.  @Bridey - Indeed Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, but being from Tennessee has nothing to do with it.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 1/26/2012 at 10:20 PM:

Well said. There are loads of Preps hiding out in the Bahamas—some of them Loyalist descendants—drinking Gin and hunting sharks and grouper. Divine.

Bridey left a comment on 1/26/2012 at 5:30 PM:

Great pic, but I hope there’s a good bourbon hiding back there. Jack Daniels, of course, is from TN and does not count.

y. l. hollander left a comment on 1/26/2012 at 5:07 PM:

Loving the fact that the proprietor opts for call brand liquors and mixers. No need for fever-tree quinine or superduperpremium hooch—- just a good, solid drink.

Cheers!

• Newer Posts Older Posts