• Black Sheep

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: winter sport coats in tweed herringbone (hers) and corduroy (his).

Feb 29, 2012 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 8:48 PM:

@MGM—It’s more about a feeling than the clothes themselves.

MGM left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 8:31 PM:

It is hard to comment on the clothing because it is not featured at all in the photograph.  However, I would say that the photograph itself is beautiful.  Well done!

oxford cloth button down left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 7:41 PM:

Those are some sharp looking jackets. I need a cord jacket for next year.

• F.E. Castleberry for Del Toro

I have this thing for plaids—tartans specifically—that more closely borderlines an obsession, if I’m being completely honest. Blankets, pillows, and wingback chairs throughout my apartment are all plastered in the Scottish pattern. So when my friends at Del Toro approached me to design a Prince Albert slipper with them, I instinctively turned to the hardy autumnal cloth. Rendered in a variant black watch wool tartan, lined in soft calfskin, and hand crafted in Italy, this slipper easily pairs with everything from gray flannel trousers to your favorite pair of threadbare denim.

F.E. Castleberry for Del Toro tartan Prince Albert slipper ($325)

Although my affinity for plaids couldn’t be more timely as bolts of it streamed down the New York runways of Ralph Lauren, Thom Browne, and Marc Jacobs earlier this month, tartan is timeless. Del Toro worked really hard to make this Prince Albert slipper available months before fall is knocking at our doors. But don’t wait too long as only 25 pairs were commissioned.

Feb 28, 2012 | Permalink (40) View/Leave Comments

Fameni left a comment on 3/11/2014 at 8:39 PM:

I’m a big fan of Slipper Shoes and I really love the ones you designed for Del Toro. I’m launching my own brand of slippers and currently looking for an italian firm that can manufacture them. Was thinking that you may have some ideas. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Fameni

MPKlein left a comment on 6/18/2012 at 1:20 AM:

Did the prices balloon again?

matthew chevallard left a comment on 4/2/2012 at 9:21 AM:

one last size 10 left…

john castleberry left a comment on 3/17/2012 at 1:54 PM:

Are there any size 10 left?

Colton J. left a comment on 3/5/2012 at 10:05 PM:

On a lighter note… I just got my pair in the mail today and they are absolutely gorgeous. Definitely the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I love the blog by the way. Keep up the great work

matthew chevallard left a comment on 3/5/2012 at 12:08 PM:

I completely agree that Spain and Italy are very comparable in quality. Italy however has much stronger cache and therefore has higher standards of quality. It was very important on a branding front to achieve this. We also moved production because I am Italian and it has always been a dream to produce in my birth country. The Italians have also been incredibly helpful in developing new styles and this is the biggest disparity between Spain and Italy. Italy is more of traditional hotbed for shoe design and production vs. Spain. Regardless, snap these up while you still can. All the best.

Matt from Del Toro

bucephalus left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 6:22 PM:

@Castleberry—Italy does not necessarily have the better craftsmen in shoe-making and leather-working than Spain. I am willing to believe, however, that the Del Toro people were able to upgrade the quality of their product more economically in Italy than in Spain.  Ralph Lauren once manufactured its Purple Label suits in England, but eventually moved it to Italy.  This was not because English craftsmanship is inferior to Italian; but because Italian firms are able to deliver faster, at a bigger scale, at a comparable artisanal quality, than English firms.

On the other hand I’m also pretty cynical about the clothing industry so I’m equally willing to believe the switch was made simply because “made in Italy” has more cachet in US markets, and can command a higher price, than “made in Spain”.

Castleberry, my second guess would be that you’re half East Asian, but you don’t have a typically Eurasian face.

AWKeller left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 5:23 PM:

They look lovely, FEC.  Well done. 

As for all the talk of birth certificates, can’t that stay at tacky places that bear the Trump name?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 5:16 PM:

@bucephalus—I can assure you Del Toro didn’t move their production to Italy simply for the cache. Is it hard to believe Italy might be home to better craftsmen?

Also…I’m not half Hispanic.

bucephalus left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 11:53 AM:

What exactly was wrong with producing in Spain ?  Was it just the cachet of “made in Italy” ?

And Castleberry doesn’t look Turkish or Iranian at all !  I always assumed he’s half Hispanic.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 7:13 PM:

@Barbara—I trust your husband will wear them in good health. He has a hell of a wife in you.

Barbara left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 6:48 PM:

These will be on my husband’s feet soon. They are perfect, Fred. Congrats!

AEV left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 4:03 PM:

@Weston and Matt - For what it’s worth, I agree with @cam 100% re: socks and formal attire.

cam left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 1:34 PM:

@Weston—Traditionally, formal situations call for socks (exception would be a summer wedding IMO).

Victor left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 1:33 PM:

@Weston—I believe the sockless look with a tuxedo is overly brash for all circumstances.

Weston left a comment on 3/1/2012 at 12:56 PM:

Beautiful shoes!  A more general question about slipper etiquette, if one were to wear black velvet slipper in a formal situation, with a tuxedo, would it be suggested to wear them with or without socks?  I suspect I know how the perennially sockless FE will respond, I’m just wondering if the sockless look with a tuxedo is overly brash for some circumstances?  Thoughts?

Matt left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 11:47 PM:

Are there any set rules or protocols for the wearing (or not wearing) of socks with slippers like these? Thanks for comments/advice!

khordkutta left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 1:41 PM:

Nicely done FEC, nicely done.

Joey Dee left a comment on 2/29/2012 at 10:25 AM:

Great work as usual. I wouldn’t expect anything less.

Sarah left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 10:24 PM:

Loving the heated debate in the comment section.

Anyhow, congratulations are in order the shoes look beyond amazing.

MGM left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 9:21 PM:

There are a few clothing items I plan on purchasing in my lifetime:

(1) Tom Ford suit
    (2) fitted leather bomber jacket
    (3) velvet slippers

matt left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 7:54 PM:

I agree, we try to keep it as lean as possible and want to maintain a balance of offering the highest quality product at the most accessible price point possible. It is not an easy balance to find but I am pretty confident we are the most able to accomplish that

Tad Allagash left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 7:36 PM:

@matt - thanks for some transparency on the price increase and production methods….great looking shoes regardless

AEV left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 7:17 PM:

@Matt - That’s terrific and certainly sets your brand apart. While I’d only wear slippers inside or with a tuxedo, I can appreciate the focus on quality and the ambition behind your products.

matt left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 7:12 PM:

All of the materials and components come from the surrounding towns of our factory. We produce all our products by hand off the Adriatic Coast in Italy in the Marche’ region.

AEV left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 7:04 PM:

@Matt/Fred - Are the materials themselves Italian made….or, are the materials sourced elsewhere and put together in Italy?

matt left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 6:53 PM:

The reason why our prices have risen is because we have significantly improved our offering by producing in Italy and are using finer components in all regards. Moreover, we are now carried by retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Scoop NYC, Webster, American Rag, and more… And unfortunately retailers drive up your prices as you grow as a brand. Unfortunately it is all a nature of the business. Regardless, we are still extremely proud of our offerings considering we are well under $150 lower than a Stubbs shoe which inferior in construction and is made In Spain vs. our product Made in Italy.  Compared to Italian made slippers such as Tom Ford we are an 1/8 of there price, retailing at $1700 at the Webster in Miami. Please email info@deltoroshoes.com for any further questions and I will be glad to help.

Regards,
    Matt

Tad Allagash left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 6:41 PM:

@FEC - according to multiple sources, their original production was in Spain (same factory as Stubbs I think) and the price point was ~$150. I’m sure the newer models are higher quality, but twice as good?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 6:36 PM:

@Tad Allagash—True, Del Toro’s prices have increased by about $100 but their production is in Italy now as opposed to China/Spain, when their price point was around $195/pair. You’re getting a better crafted slipper now.

Tad Allagash left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 6:29 PM:

These are gorgeous, great choice of pattern. I regret not buying a pair of Del Toros earlier since their prices have gone up about $100.

Jess left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 5:58 PM:

Wow, these are gorgeous. If they made a pair in women’s sizes I might just have to splurge…

Ezra left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 5:47 PM:

Really like the use of plaids here. Been following this site for a while now, really appreciate including VW in your monthly playlists.

EK

Trad Dad left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 4:55 PM:

@ Al—First of all, who really cares?  Secondly, with the dramatic increase in mixed race marriages surnames have less and less correlation with racial backgrounds.

@FEC—Congratulations, seems like an interesting project.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 4:50 PM:

@Al—Would you like to see my birth certificate? It’s Frederick Egan Castleberry.

Al left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 4:38 PM:

Surely your real name cannot be F.E. Castleberry….you look to be of Turkish or Iranian descent to me.

Miguel Ramalhao left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 3:49 PM:

Niceeeee! I’m felling a Ramalhoni shoes & FE Castelberry colab in the works? Would u be game?

Fredrik left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 3:01 PM:

Where can I find that beautiful blanket, really want something like that.. Please help me.

Great blog btw, been following in for a long time now..

/ Fredrik (Sweden)

TS left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 2:43 PM:

None for the ladies?

Andy M. left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 1:49 PM:

Love ‘em.  Great work Fred.

krc left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 1:44 PM:

absolutely gorgeous.

• A.S.R. Nereus

For the past six months I’ve been meandering around New England photographing prominent rowers for a coffee table book I’m honored and privileged to be a part of. World class athletes, Olympic gold medalists, and world record holders...a true elite gathering of rowers to celebrate the sport of crew by way of the storied rowing blazer. Although I can’t reveal any of the final photographs I’ve created until publication, I do feel it is some of my best portrait work to date. I do want to share these snapshots I captured of the Amsterdam Student Rowing Club Nereus while at the Head of the Charles Regatta this past fall. Their blazers were beautiful, with some wearing the sweat and tears by which they earned them literally on their sleeves. A couple of the jackets were at least 40 years old. The student rowing club was founded in 1885 and produces a substantial part of the of the national team as well as Olympic medal winning athletes.

Photographed in Cambridge, MA

Feb 27, 2012 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Richard left a comment on 7/3/2012 at 11:52 AM:

There’s a Meander river in Turkey, Australia, Canada and Ireland, but not, I think, in New England ;-)

Hunter left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 9:35 PM:

I saw these guys at the Charles this year, great group of guys who seemed to be having a lot of fun at the races.

@FEC any chance you got some pics for your book while at the Kent School last fall? They were the first American prep school to race at Henley Royal Regatta (an excellent place to photograph blazers, especially Abingdon’s which are pink and white striped).  Having a Kent School Boat Club (KSBC) blazer would be an excellent addition to the book.

Kelsey left a comment on 3/7/2012 at 3:11 PM:

Consider photographing the Williams College Crew - the women have won the last six national championships, three of the last four years at the Charles and also hold a Charles course record. A rustic boathouse, rural campus and plenty of stripes, blazers and loafers could make for a few nice shots.

Nich left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 4:00 AM:

FEC - Having rowed at university and afterwards, I positively love this picture. If you have the opportunity can I heartily recommend you attending HRR (Henley) in the UK. Having rowed here and attended many other years, it is truly a one of a kind event. I would posit you’d get loads of fantastic pictures and inspiration!

Kasha left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 8:19 PM:

The Dutch do Europreppy well, don’t they?  Always such fun socks.  Please get in touch if you do any rowing shots in Philly!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 9:11 AM:

@Crimson—That was probably me…come say hello next time.

Crimson left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 1:02 AM:

A friend and I thought we spotted you in Cambridge with the Winklevi - can’t wait for the book!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 12:30 AM:

Really looking forward to this. Rowed at university.

M Arthur left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 10:20 PM:

Third guy from the right has got it going on.  Love the kicks!

Stockto Andrews II left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 9:15 PM:

That’s a terrific photo. Classic look.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 7:49 PM:

@Al—No firm date yet as I am still currently shooting for it.

@Jacob—Yes. Meandering, to take a winding course, is the verb that best conveys the experience I’m relating here.

Al left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 7:38 PM:

@FEC Any knowledge on when the book will go public?

Jacob left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 6:51 PM:

Are you sure ‘meandering’ is the accurate verb here, Fred?

• Honeycombs

Noteworthy: Bean Boots, Barbour waxed cotton jacket, Filson bag, honeycombing behind the knees.

Feb 24, 2012 | Permalink (28) View/Leave Comments

AJC left a comment on 3/19/2012 at 8:23 AM:

The Filson bag is very nice. A good alternative is the classic Barbour Tarras Bag. More affordable and great choice of fabrics.

angloamericanprep.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/barbour-tarras-bag

Hassan left a comment on 3/7/2012 at 5:31 PM:

In the past few years, having left college and boarding school, I have slimmed down quite a bit and have been having this issue of honey combing in the back of my pants.  Basically asking for an explanation to @Sasha’s question above.  What causes this effect, when is it appropriate, how can it be avoided etc. 

Thanks for the advice, as always I am learning little nuances from each of your posts.

H.Y. Dawood

Hunter left a comment on 3/7/2012 at 4:58 PM:

I really love this look. Can anyone tell what brand of jeans those are?

Mark left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 10:31 PM:

This was outside the ralph lauren show. It was actually raining before and afterwards.

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 10:53 PM:

Yummycombs.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 8:01 PM:

Seconding Joe on this one.

Joe left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 7:56 PM:

Bottom line, Barbour is the best waxed coat made.  I own a few for hunting and around town.  Barbour also does a great job when the need for repairs come up.

Jon left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 6:20 PM:

Thanks for sharing, J.  That definitely helps the decision making process.  Did you replace the Filson with a Barbour?

J left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 3:49 PM:

@Jon - If the opinion of a faceless blog commenter means anything, I purchased a Filson waxed cotton jacket a year ago and cannot reccomend the product to anyone.  At the time, I thought it was cool to buy American but now deeply regret not going for the British Barbour.  Probably the worst $300 I’ve ever spent.

Joe left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 12:57 PM:

Looks like he walked out of the fraternity house at the University of Georgia, except the camera and filson bag of course.  Bean boots are a good choice for any day, very comfortable as long as the weather does not get too warm.

Glenn left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 11:46 AM:

Looks like a familiar standard weekend attire!

Andreas left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 7:21 AM:

I get the honeycomb effect on alot of my trousers. Due to long hours in the office…

Brad left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 12:03 AM:

I get almost the identical “honeycombing” effect after a day spent in any of my urban slim fit broken-in chinos from J.Crew. For that reason, I’d have to say the the rumpling quality is due more to the pants’ tightness, as AEV suggests, rather than the selvedge denim itself. That being said, it’s still an awesome look. Furthermore, I have to agree with FEC that we need to cease assuming the worst in people. I’ve been fooled by the weatherman plenty of times and found myself walking around in boots all day despite the threat of rain never coming to fruition. Perhaps a youth spent in the Boy Scouts drove a certain mantra into this gentleman’s sartorial consciousness.

cam left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 11:31 PM:

@ marc - i’m pretty sure its the Bedale jacket. Jcrew has them

Marc left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 9:05 PM:

Anyone know what model of Barbour jacket he’s wearing?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 3:51 PM:

@Tad Allagash (and everyone else)—Can we quit assuming the worst in people? Can we quit assuming nobody else knows how (and when) to dress but us? It was indeed sprinkling while I was on my way to the Ralph Lauren fashion show, which is where this was taken. This gentleman is obviously dressed in his wet weather gear for just such an occasion.

Tad Allagash left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 3:14 PM:

Solid look, though every 3rd guy below 14th street is dressed like this nowadays. The real indicator that this gent works in fashion or is a blogger is not his camera, but that he’s wearing bean boots when it’s not raining.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 12:58 PM:

@AEV—The honeycombing behind the knee is more likely attributed to the jeans being a well worn pair of selvedge denim seldomly washed.

AEV left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 12:39 PM:

Tough to argue with a Barbour and Bean boots. I’d pass on the skinny jeans (they’re doing that behind the knee because they’re too tight…), but the look works.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 10:04 AM:

@Brad—My best educated guess is that these are the 8” boots, one of the more popular heights among men.

@Sasha—I appreciate them in selvedge denim…it’s inherent in the way the cloth wears and shapes to your legs.

Brad left a comment on 2/26/2012 at 3:47 AM:

Are these the 6” Bean Boots?

Paul left a comment on 2/25/2012 at 6:14 PM:

Thanks, Fred. You should do high/low outfit comparisons.

Eldred left a comment on 2/25/2012 at 4:40 PM:

Jon, if you are thinking of buying Barbour check the label carefully as much of it is made in China these days and, imo, the quality is not the same as the few items they continue to make in the UK.

Jon left a comment on 2/25/2012 at 11:19 AM:

Great shot, Fred.  I’m currently in the market for a quilted jacket; either Filson or Barbour.  I’m trying to decide between navy or olive.  What would you recommend?  I’d most likely wear the jacket with jeans and wingtips/desert boots and an OCBD.  Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Sasha left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 4:24 PM:

@FEC—re: honeycomning—what are your thoughts on it with regard to desirability, annoyance, etc. I rarely wash my jeans. I think I have washed my two favorite pair of jeans (j brand kane straight legs and Nudie raw) four times in the past two years. But the j brands especially honeycomb behind the knee. I find that I have to brush down my knees each time I stand up so they don’t bunch up. A good way to combat this? I end up hanging them for a week or so at a time to try to flatten them out. Have also tried putting them in the freezer (mostly to distill any odors).

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 12:55 PM:

@Paul—So look at this one then.

cam left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 12:40 PM:

This I like!

Paul left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 12:12 PM:

I understand that we all accessorize ourselves within differing budgets, but I just can’t see paying $630 for that bag.

• Red Around the Collar

Noteworthy: Prince Albert velvet slippers (worn outdoors), perfect trouser break, use of color around her face.

Feb 23, 2012 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Clyde Shuman left a comment on 2/28/2012 at 4:35 PM:

This is a wonderful look, and I especially enjoy the woman in the background who believes that she is the subject of the shot.  As if.

stripedsolidarity left a comment on 2/27/2012 at 8:41 AM:

I’ve always wondered, when are velvet stubbs out of season? Are they ever out of season? I’m getting a pair soon and I’m not sure if they should be velvet or needle point at this time of year

Rake left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 1:59 PM:

@Anna - exactly.

Anna left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 11:43 AM:

This looks like the mother of every single person I went to high school with.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 10:23 AM:

@Andreas—Black shoes are a very smart choice here as it (and her black trouser) anchors the bright colors in her bag and scarf.

Andreas left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 4:18 AM:

I can´t see the point in wearing black shoes with the outfit.

NB left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 10:10 PM:

Could be wrong, but those appear to be an expensive pair of lambskin hermes gloves as well.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 9:02 PM:

@AEV—I was referring to the photography—not the war career and celebrity-mongering—and I did write “becoming…” ;)

AEV left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 8:07 PM:

Fred - I know…I just thought a reminder was in order. From what I can tell, you’re a great photographer, but the comparison to Mr. Aaarons seems a bit out of whack…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 7:50 PM:

@AEV—Which is why I replied with “that’s high praise” ;)

AEV left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 7:33 PM:

With a bio like this, I just don’t think Aarons is worthy of the comparison:

At 18 years old, Aarons enlisted in the U.S. Army, working as a photographer at West Point and later serving as a combat photographer in World War II and earning a Purple Heart. Aarons said that combat had taught him that the only beach worth landing on was “decorated with beautiful, seminude girls tanning in a tranquil sun.”

After the war, Aarons moved to California and began photographing celebrities. In California, he shot his most praised photo, Kings of Hollywood, a 1957 New’s Year’s Eve photograph depicting Clark Gable, Van Heflin, Gary Cooper and James Stewart relaxing at a bar in full formal wear. Aaron’s work appeared in Life, Town & Country and Holiday magazines.

Aarons never used a stylist, or a makeup artist.

Saturdays left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 4:29 PM:

I like how the girl in the back is waving.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 3:10 PM:

@Laguna Beach Fogey—That’s high praise, indeed.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 3:08 PM:

I love the way the green and red mix in this photo.

FEC, you’re becoming the Slim Aarons of our generation. I only hope you don’t become like The Sartorialist, a whore for the fashionista crowd.

Focus less on the fashionista scum, and more on rich preps, jet-setters, and fogeys.

I look forward to your first book.

JNG left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 1:53 PM:

amazing Celine tote not to be overlooked. She’s fabulous.

cam left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 1:34 PM:

black, navy, pumpkin, hunter green, olive green, camel, lime and red…wow, that’s a whole lot going on

• Older Posts

• CATEGORY