• Sorel Caribous

Style  

Spend a significant amount of time in New England and you’re likely to experience a run in with Old Man Winter. Not the fleeting visit we oddly experienced this year, but the kind of winter that settles in for a season bringing with it snow, biting wind chills, and a white Christmas. It’s a snow boot kind of winter. Sorel Caribous are made for just that occasion. Founded in Kitchener, Ontario by Kaufman Rubber Co. in 1962, Sorel’s Caribou boot boasts a handcrafted, waterproof vulcanized rubber shell, seam-sealed waterproof leather upper, and a 9mm ThermoPlus™ felt inner boot. They’re for women too. Amanda Brooks has been romping around her Adirondacks home in them for over 30 years. While my preference is for Caribous made in Canada (prior to 2000), they are difficult to find. I picked up my latest pair from Kith in New York, Ronnie Fieg’s boutique concept shop. Here’s to hoping for a longer visit from the Old Man next December.

Sorel Caribou in Tobacco, $130-$150

Mar 16, 2012 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Cole Morgan left a comment on 3/27/2012 at 8:21 PM:

awwwwwwww billy

DSRG left a comment on 3/22/2012 at 7:39 AM:

Growing up in Buffalo, NY (only a few blocks away from the great store O’Connell’s), my father and grandfather always had Sorel boots.  I just got my own pair of Caribou boots this winter…in time for the warmest winter I’ve ever experienced.  They are great boots, but I agree with previous commenters that they are HEAVY.

M left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 3:21 PM:

its 82 in rye beach today- i’m trying to get some spring summer vibes, i love the sorels but we off that for now!!  Please do some transition to warm weather posts!!!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 1:53 PM:

@Alfred—Exercise the etiquette to actually leave a legitimate email address and I’ll be happy to clear up any of your confusion.

Alfred left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 1:43 PM:

[Moderated due to excessive rudeness]

Carson left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 12:40 PM:

I had this exact pair this winter, but exchanged them for Bean Boots with Gortex.  I think this Sorel design is too heavy, and a little bit more casual than Bean Boots.  I agree, to each his own!

MGM left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 8:46 AM:

Yes, this is a classic snow boot.  Everyone I know has a pair, sort of like the Sperry boat shoe.  The difference is this: I ONLY wear them in heavy snow, while some of my other friends wear them all winter, even when there is no snow.  But to each his own.  There is no doubt about it—it is a classic boot that everyone should own (again, assuming you live in an area that experiences heavy snow in the winter).

• Everything You Can Imagine

Miscellany  

Mar 15, 2012 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 1:30 PM:

@BLJ—Unabashedly Prep has always, and will continue to be, my point of view. Not that of any of my advertisers or clients.

BLJ left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 10:48 AM:

@NPHAF…what he wants or what his spoonsors/employers want? I used to think I knew the answer….

NPHAF left a comment on 3/21/2012 at 6:53 AM:

Haven’t you yet understood that Mr. Castleberry does what ever the f**k he wants?
    Questions about the site? Write him an email.

cam left a comment on 3/19/2012 at 1:30 PM:

+1 Laguna Beach Fogey

AJC left a comment on 3/19/2012 at 10:12 AM:

Brilliant.

More quotes to make us think, please.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 3/17/2012 at 11:23 PM:

Nonsense.

More photos of Preps, please.

Miss Margarita left a comment on 3/17/2012 at 6:07 AM:

Love that quote!

Matt left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 3:29 PM:

Hey F.E. - when will the newest playlist be posted on here?  I loved the most recent one! :)

• Chain Link

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Milly chain coat.

Mar 14, 2012 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

MGM left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 9:30 PM:

This is certainly a very nice outfit.  My one critique would be to lose the turtleneck.

Adam left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 11:12 AM:

The design on her coat also resembles a chain. Pretty sick outfit.

Pink Champagne left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 9:18 AM:

Seriously lusting over this coat…I die for all things Milly. Gorgeous!

. left a comment on 3/15/2012 at 3:46 AM:

love this look! no monthly playlist this year? :(

Dani left a comment on 3/15/2012 at 2:34 AM:

If you want to see more of her - that’s Chiara from theblondesalad.com!

Brad left a comment on 3/15/2012 at 1:16 AM:

Chain of Cool

Clare left a comment on 3/14/2012 at 9:45 PM:

This coat is just fabulous and she looks like the epitome of city chic! Thanks so much for sharing such an inspirational spring style photo. I hope you are having a wonderful week and Happy Wednesday!! Be sure to stop by my blog and take a peak at the redesign.
    Toodles,
    Twirling Clare
    twirlingclare.blogspot.com

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 3/14/2012 at 8:15 PM:

Lovely lady.

Dave left a comment on 3/14/2012 at 3:01 PM:

Theres no place like home…theres no place like home

ANH Style left a comment on 3/14/2012 at 9:22 AM:

I like her little red Chanel as well- it ties the look together nicely.

• Turk’s Head Sailor Bracelets

Style  

by Moses Y. Bension

Kiel James Patrick was born and raised in Rhode Island and so are his bracelets. When Unabashedly Prep last ran into him back in January, he was in Palm Beach hung over and trying not to show it in a photo for Town & Country. Before that, he and F.E. Castleberry and friends took J. McLaughlin’s new sailboat out for a spin in Newport. So Kiel’s been busy.

He’s also been redesigning his Turk’s head knot bracelets, and the new spring line is available in an all-new array of preppy colors. The colors, like the “Narragansett Lifeguard Chairs” shade of red and “Collin Banister Wharf” in nautical white and navy with a touch of fiery sunset orange, are named after Kiel’s memories of, as he put it, “life experiences, people I’ve met, books I’ve read, adventures I’ve ventured.”

Kiel James Patrick Turk's Head Sailor Bracelets, $40

The hand-braided twisted cotton bracelets are still crafted from the same locally sourced custom-made nautical cord as they have been since their inception in 2009. A new detail this time around is the solid brass anchor enclosure instead of the usual button fastener of seasons past. The anchors on the Ocean State’s flag and license plates were his inspiration: “Newport’s nautical Old New England charm offered me an array of décor and style I simply admired.”

He’s also stuck to a marketing strategy of word-of-mouth and social networking power, and it’s worked. Kiel James Patrick is expanding; they just moved their studio into a new factory in Pawtucket. He’ll pop in every so often to pull a needle and thread through a bracelet in progress, and it’s entirely possible the bracelet you order is one he sewed himself. It’s all part of his dedication to the local community. He’s even been known after a few drinks at the watering hole to take the bracelet off his wrist and bequeath it to a lucky patron.

Check out kieljamespatrick.com for the complete collection of bracelets, belts, and ties.

Mar 13, 2012 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Carlos left a comment on 3/30/2012 at 12:11 PM:

I purchased a couple of them two weeks ago and e-mailed a suggestion and a complaint. A message form his customer service was sent to me, and two days later at 1am Mr.Patrick himself e-mailed me expressing his thanks for supporting his company.
    E-mailing your customers and tackling their concerns at 1am is a going above and beyond.
    Many thanks Mr. Patrick.

Sophie left a comment on 3/20/2012 at 11:45 AM:

Not a huge fan, but my son wanted one. They are well made. What I was most impressed by though was the packaging which was thoughtfully designed and attractive - helps make the item a super gift.

Alfred left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 5:41 PM:

Rugby also sold very similar ones last year, made by Scosha:
    http://www.rugby.com/blog/post/2011/06/16/Limited-Editions-Scosha-Anchor-Bracelets.aspx

WMM left a comment on 3/16/2012 at 12:20 PM:

@G and MC —Miansai anchor closings.

Barbara left a comment on 3/15/2012 at 6:24 PM:

They are perfect.

G. McCarthy left a comment on 3/14/2012 at 1:45 PM:

I haven’t seen a Miansai bracelet with an anchor fastener… That’s news to me.

MC left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 6:35 PM:

Good to see this business doing so well and keeping it American. Keep up the good work KJP.

cam left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 6:16 PM:

@wj - you may want to check who authored the article ;)

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 4:00 PM:

I appreciate the appreciation.  Fred, thanks for the fantastic photography, this picture is excellent. 

@WWM—Does Miansai use an Anchor?  I have only seen hooks.  I’ve only discovered Miansai recently this year.  Regardless we’ve been making our Anchor bracelets since Summer ‘10. Here’s Hannah and Vickers sporting the original 8 knot Triton bracelets fastened with Marine novelty Anchors back in Summer ‘10.

Patsy, you are correct these are not the turks head knot. While I love the simplicity and novelty of the original Turks Head I looked to offer a solution to taking it on and off.

In any case…back to work for me.  We’re looking to expand beyond bracelets this next year and have a ton of machinery to move into our new factory.  If any craftsmen, tailors, or seamstresses read this and need work please get in touch!
    Warmly,

—Kiel

wj left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 1:07 PM:

Why the third person? Are you a professional athlete now?

Patsy left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 12:40 PM:

These are lovely! But they are not turk’s heads - turk’s heads are closed loop braids.

WMM left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 12:12 PM:

You positive that his anchor inspiration isn’t from a terribly-coincedental fastener from the Miansai bracelet lines?

khordkutta left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 11:47 AM:

Gentleman, purchase one for your lady friend/wife, if its not your style,believe me she will appreciate it, mine did.

Amanda C. Bee left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 8:57 AM:

His bracelets and Vicker’s headbands are so well made, excellent gift giving options.

x
    ACB

www.amandacbee.com

Rake left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 8:31 AM:

While the bracelets are not for me, you have to admire KJP’s entrepreneurship. Well done!

NJGlenn left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 8:24 AM:

Thanks FEC-I’ve been considereing one of the new Turk’s Head Bracelets but was wondering if the anchor is uncomfortable or obtrusive.  Now I know you guys are BFF’s but what do you think?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 8:09 AM:

I probably wouldn’t wear such a bracelet (mine are more surfing oriented), but I do admire his dedication to local commerce. Are you local? KJP certainly is!

• Tokyo Drift

Dress Code  

Photographed in Steamboat Springs, CO

Noteworthy: Tokyo tortoise sunglasses, vintage two-tone leather riding boots, belted cable-knit sweater.

Mar 12, 2012 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Andrea left a comment on 3/20/2012 at 10:12 PM:

@AEV—Steamboat can be downright warm on the slopes during the day; forty degrees feels hot with very dry air, high altitude, and bright sunlight. You don’t need a jacket on a sunny afternoon in March. I’ve gone skiing in bike pants there in March. But it starts to get very cold after the sun goes down.

M Arthur left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 9:42 PM:

@Brad.  Being a native son of LA, Your entire wardrobe skews towards warmer weather year round.  The hard and fast rules of fall and spring dates are more flexible in LA.  I say if it’s cold, wear whatever keeps you warm.  If warm, where lighter clothing…not cords because winter in LA and 72’.  Here in Scottsdale, the first chilly temps we get…60’s…we get a kick out of the East coasters breaking out the fur, leather, boots, etc. Only to return to the lighter fabrics and shades within days or sometimes hours.

C.L. Young left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 9:03 PM:

Nevermind she is without parka, nor proper footwear for the slopes. She is smashing! The red pants and the black sweater really make this outfit, as do the boots. Well thought out and executed! Very sexy redhead and very sexy outfit that works well for her!

Brad left a comment on 3/13/2012 at 1:43 PM:

I have a question that isn’t really relevant to this entry, but I was hoping to get your take on the subject nonetheless. When is it no longer appropriate to wear a fair isle sweater? I live in Los Angeles and it was in the mid-50s this morning (which is COLD for Southern California), and I wanted to throw on a fair isle sweater for work (it’s a very casual office, so sweaters and chinos are perfectly acceptable). I decided I shouldn’t wear the sweater for fear that some might find that sort of attire too “Christmas-y” now that we’re in March. What do you think?

Brad left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 10:40 PM:

Snow-down with a Little Tokyo

Kate left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 2:11 PM:

Fabulous!

amanda left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 12:48 PM:

red pants!

cam left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 12:12 PM:

for those always wondering, this is how you do black and brown

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 11:08 AM:

@AEV—I typically dress in layers, then shed when necessary. I can’t speak for anyone else. I do know the weather in Steamboat warmed up after the wedding I attended. And for what it’s worth, near dusk—when my photo was taken—it was about 32 degrees.

AEV left a comment on 3/12/2012 at 11:02 AM:

Nice look, though I’m curious how it is that you required a down parka and snow boots but this woman is OK w/no jacket and casual footwear….

• Newer Posts Older Posts