• House of Shields

Style | Culture  

by Moses Y. Bension

Architectural Digest’s new March issue takes an exclusive look inside Brooke Shields’ newly finished Greenwich Village townhouse designed by David Flint Wood. Wood borrowed elements from the very prep house he shares with model India Hicks in the Bahamas and from her father, the late great English designer David Hicks. The collection of portraits in the Shields family room (pretty prep), the four poster Anglo-Indian tester bed (classic prep), and the Shields’ Georgian-style kitchen chairs upholstered in Hermès orange leather (modern prep) are classic Hicks demonstrations of his elegant and polished style.

It’s not all about Wood and Hicks though, and Shields incorporates a trove of remnants from the Upper East Side townhouse she shared with her mother as a child. Brooke’s words “richly textured” and “layered and resonant” don’t refer to the physical appearances so much as the experiences of her young daughters that imbue the house with a history truly making the place theirs. Shields reminisces about growing up “surrounded by clutter,” but she plans to raise her children in a home filled with a different sort of clutter: the sort made of memories.

For a more detailed look at the jewel of modern prep that is the Shields’ townhouse, read more in March’s issue of Architectural Digest.

Mar 2, 2012 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Arnim left a comment on 3/4/2012 at 1:52 PM:

I don’t know if I could live with so much grey, but it’s a beautiful home.  Thanks for posting this!

Tito left a comment on 3/3/2012 at 7:42 AM:

Wow I’ll die a happy men in a place like that!

Kate left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 7:20 PM:

Lovely decor.

M Arthur left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 5:06 PM:

I had the pleasure of meeting Brook on a JFK flight from LAX-JFK during her C Klein Jeans days.  She was a polite and approachable young lady.  Her continued success and good taste does not surprise me.  Bravo, good health to enjoy such a beautiful home Brook!

Miss Margarita left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 2:53 PM:

just perfect!

Andy M. left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 12:42 PM:

Perfect mix of modern and traditional.  I want to live here.

Teddy left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 12:07 PM:

We need more of this.

Makaga left a comment on 3/2/2012 at 11:36 AM:

Thanks for the headsup on this article.  Some great images and inspiration.

• Newer Posts