• What Men’s Style Blog Should I Be Reading?

Miscellany  

When I started Unabashedly Prep in 2009, there were only a handful of men’s style blogs hanging their shingle from the world wide web. Just three short years later, there are more style blogs than Ivy school endowment dollars, so which one to read? Luckily, Complex has done the majority of the exhaustive legwork for you. And by exhaustive legwork, I mean creating a painstakingly in-depth infographic designed to tongue-in-cheekily guide a man to a single men’s style blog via a gauntlet of polar questions. With that being said, if you are a literate male who prefers Rugby’s fit and fancies style advice from someone who dresses like your grandpa, then you’re in the right place.

May 31, 2012 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Ann left a comment on 12/29/2012 at 7:54 AM:

I think one’s been left off that I really enjoy - tutto fatto a mano http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot but it is less “styling” and more for people who like bespoke.

Kingston left a comment on 8/3/2012 at 12:03 AM:

www.prepandmaiden.com not there? Hmm

PSP left a comment on 6/18/2012 at 9:11 PM:

F.E.C.
    I think your blog is the best organized and most visually compelling.
    I would appreciate the inclusion of a few more preppy blond women (ie. boobs).
    PSP (In fact, I do)

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 6/13/2012 at 10:38 PM:

Very amusing.

Andrew left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 2:06 AM:

But I love Brooks Brothers Slim Fit shirts?!

JNG left a comment on 6/3/2012 at 3:42 PM:

saw this on pinterest and laughed so hard. it’s totally ridiculous and silly but so funny.

Helen M left a comment on 6/2/2012 at 2:53 PM:

So well done!

Travis McHenry left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 5:26 PM:

what about coffeeandthenewspaper.tumblr.com

Vic Delta left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 10:14 AM:

To funny! Guilty as charged. At least I’m with my grandkids.

Wayne left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 8:57 PM:

This is hilarious, yet so true.

Desmond K left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 5:51 AM:

I remember seeing this a few weeks back. It’s very humorous indeed. Very informative though. But that first question just takes the cake…

http://chinosandcheesecake.blogspot.com/

Saturdays left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 12:17 AM:

Whoever had the time to make that, did so very well. They placed me perfectly.. but didn’t place anything for Azimuth’s Circle…

I’m also sort of in awe that its only been since 2009 - feels like I’ve been reading this blog since my first Polo.

• Ocean Washed

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY by Sara Kerens

Noteworthy: made in Maine leather boat shoe, made in New England university striped oxford cloth button down.

Rig:
    Ray-Ban Wayfarers
    • Rugby custom university striped oxford cloth button down (monogrammed)
    • Smart Turnout nylon watch strap
    • vintage Omega Seamaster wrist watch
    Rugby grosgrain ribbon belt
    Rugby salt chino short
    Ralph Lauren boat shoe

May 29, 2012 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Shawn (Virilitas) left a comment on 7/5/2012 at 10:55 PM:

Pre-distressed or not, the shorts are a great traditional color that are well-matched, in the photograph. Thanks for sharing.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 3:47 PM:

@SFR—I don’t see this as desperate at all. Washes are a bit of a science in the fashion industry. It’s about experiencing the look and feel of a beloved piece the moment you pick it up and touch it in the store. I don’t really care to spend the first half of my summer breaking in my summer chino shorts (given I even make it to the water 3 weekends a month). You don’t like washes on your chinos, to each his own.

SFR left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 3:41 PM:

@Fred - thanks for your reply. Jeans may start our dark and stiff, but after wearing them in they break in, get soft, develop character, etc. More specifically, the shorts you’ve pictured are faux-weathered to appear “salt” worn….as if they’ve been worn on a boat, on the beach, in the sun for years, etc. Are standard cotton shorts uncomfortable? Why not wear your shorts to the beach/on a boat and let them wear in naturally?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 3:32 PM:

@C.L. Young—Thank you. I’m glad to have provided some sartorial nostalgia for you. Your vintage Wayfarers sound really great. You do realize that Wayfarers presently, taking into account inflation since 1988, are only approximately $12 more in 1988 dollars. The price for Ray-Bans is fair…the free market (and there is plenty of competition in the sunglasses market to qualify it as a free market) determines what is fair.

@SFR—Sometimes I just want to pick up a pair of shorts, or jeans, or chinos that just feel really good…that feel like we’ve already been friends for for awhile. Do I want my Barbour feeling like that? Not necessarily (but if I do, eBay is a good start). So, if you wear jeans, you don’t want any wash to them at all? You just want dark indigo, stiff denim? Not the most comfortable thing in the spring or summer.

@Cam—This boat shoe by Ralph Lauren is the best boat shoe I’ve ever come across. The silhouette and details are classic yet the craftsmanship is taken to another level by the factory in Maine. This shoe retails for $300 (almost 4x times as much as Sperrys, but they feel 4x times better crafted).

@Matt—I am not sure of what manufacturer makes this boat shoe, but my best educated guess would be Rancourt & Co.

C.L. Young left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 1:41 PM:

Awesome look! I especially like the Wayfarers! I have a pair (B&L 5022) that I bought back in 1988 from some optical company that advertised from the back of GQ Magazine for the grand sum of under $40.00. Looking at the price you paid (or not) for yours gives me a new perspective on how the “Classic” things I love from MY era are now inflated in price.
    It’s ashamed that quality is hard to be gotten at a fair and reasonable price for all! Especially products (such as my “vintage” Ray Bans) for a fair price! I love the boat shoes as well…brings back alot of 1980’s memories and makes me feel “Classic”. Well done, F.E.!!

SFR left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 12:02 PM:

I too am curious about your take on fake-vintage, pseudo pre-worn items….I’ve always just worn my own clothes in naturally…wearing faux worn stuff has always struck me as phony….and, ironically, counter to much of the ethos you attempt to channel on here. Thoughts?

Stephen left a comment on 6/1/2012 at 9:23 AM:

@Cam - I own a pair of white Telfords and they’re amazing. Check out ebay, as that is where I got mine, and I’m pretty sure there are a few floating around for far less than retail.

R. L. H. left a comment on 5/31/2012 at 4:09 PM:

Well done FEC. Legitimately dig the look.

DaveT left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 7:16 PM:

That is a really nice photo with, I’m guessing, the early evening lighting.

emjkmj left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 6:25 PM:

@CAM—I would guess these guys are doing the manufacturing.  Rancourt, Eastland still makes shoes in Ma.  www.rancourtandcompany.com

cam left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 5:56 PM:

@F.E.—Overall rating of the RL boat shoe? I was thinking about getting these the other day esp since they are on sale.

Felix left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 5:22 PM:

I have the same RL boat shoes.  Top notch quality and Made in USA.

Matt left a comment on 5/30/2012 at 12:58 PM:

Who makes the boat shoe for RL?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/29/2012 at 10:58 PM:

@emjkmj—While I can’t speak on behalf of J.Crew, this particular day I simply wanted to shorten the inseam a little.

emjkmj left a comment on 5/29/2012 at 10:53 PM:

Looking good!  Question though, What’s with the up-turned shorts?  Seen it in JCrew this winter, is it to shorten the rise or to make it looked cuffed?

Matthew left a comment on 5/29/2012 at 9:24 PM:

Why, yes, yes this is pretty much the perfect outfit! Head to toe, I could live life in this.

• Wardrobe XI

Style | Dress Code  

1. Sid Mashburn pink/white university stripe oxford cloth button down
    2. Ralph Lauren linen dots pocket square
    3. Norman Hilton navy hopsack blazer
    4. Ralph Lauren silk knit tie
    5. Stubbs & Wootton Prince Albert velvet slippers
    6. Rugby grosgrain ribbon belt
    7. Rugby needlepoint wallet
    8. RRL low straight washed denim

May 24, 2012 | Permalink (29) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 3:29 PM:

Those slippers are too unbelievably cool, hats off to you and undividual style!

sa left a comment on 6/19/2012 at 4:33 AM:

the fashion for the ray ban optical sunglasses ,i think you would be like it!

xm0541 left a comment on 6/19/2012 at 4:32 AM:

The fashion of the louis vuitton belts .You can see it for here
    http://www.raybandiscount.com/optics-c9

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/16/2012 at 7:02 AM:

@Vern Trotter—I believe Polo made a knit tie with traditional tie tipping at one point. I would try shopping vintage clothing dealers or eBay.

Vern Trotter left a comment on 6/15/2012 at 1:51 PM:

Knit ties with square bottoms are everywhere. Do you know anyone that sells a point or V bottom?

Vern Trotter
    Manhattan

Andrew left a comment on 6/12/2012 at 5:49 PM:

Fred, thanks for this post. This is a killer outfit and I bet it looks awesome when worn with some swagger. Keep up the awesome work!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/12/2012 at 7:00 AM:

@Tim—Please check out the previous Wardrobe X post to understand the “why” behind these collages.

Tim left a comment on 6/11/2012 at 5:59 PM:

I generally like these pieces - and appreciate elements of FEC’s style - but am confused. If it’s not ‘about the brands’, then why are half these pics close ups of corporate logos as opposed to shots of these clothes being worn uniquely?

Richard Ross left a comment on 6/11/2012 at 11:20 AM:

Steeze through the roof.

Chase left a comment on 6/9/2012 at 1:03 PM:

I do believe that is the first time Paris Hilton has ever been referenced on this site.

Ryan left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 8:40 PM:

Haha, yeah it goes something like, “When people hate you, it means you’ve made it.” I’m sure there’s someone who makes the point more elegantly than Paris Hilton…

MS left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 11:24 AM:

@FEC
    Only two things in this life we can depend on: death, and people being cruel on the internet. Godpeed.

Angel left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 10:11 AM:

Cool stuff F.E., I got a tie just like that but at a thrift store. Its a bit short for me though. I’ll have to find someone with a smaller neck and a bit shorter who can get some use out of it.

Angel’s Point of View

K.T.K left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 8:38 AM:

I really appreciate your style and posts. You have excellent, timeless taste that, in my opinion, more people should embody. To be honest, I’m tired of seeing pajama pants in the airport. Your style is Americana inspired and practical- what more could you ask for? Keep up the good work.

MGM left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 6:04 AM:

This post just oozes with creativity and personal style.  And as Mr. Castleberry has already mentioned, we are all here only because we want to see his latest posts.  So, let’s keep things friendly here!

Saturdays left a comment on 6/7/2012 at 12:25 AM:

Two thoughts here Fred:

First, great post I love your style and I am glad you are with RL. I think like you, and eventually I want to work at RL as well because of my sheer love for their products, lifestyle and image. I trust your judgement and really appreciate your thoughts and input that go into these blog posts.

Secondly, I was wondering if you knew what happened to the young and hip Norman Hilton we sawa year ago. It seems they matured a bit and sort of disappointed me. The shoot you did a long while back was absolutely breath taking and I still regret not buying a sport coat from them back then, with the throat latch and all.

Suggestion: I would love to see the progress and method of your work at RL (if that is allowed)

Also my real email is used for this when I comment.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 10:40 PM:

@Ryan—Thank you sir. I actually don’t know what Hilton says about haters. Please indulge me.

Ryan left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 7:21 PM:

As always, your style is original and awesome, Fred! You know what Paris Hilton says about haters…

emjkmj left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 3:49 PM:

I am grateful to those bloggers who take the time to put themselves out there.  Blogs cost me nothing and provide free information and entertainment.  Thank you.

Matt M. - The Cleanest Corner. left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 3:18 PM:

Much love and respect to one of the most well-put-together gents out there, Fred Castleberry. He’s made a career off of his vision and penchant for a certain niche. As you said yourself, Fred, it’s not about what you wear, but how you wear it. I incorporate a lot of Ralph Lauren into my wardrobe and even have some of the same pieces as you, but I wear them completely different than you do. Not many can “pull off” the outfit reflected in the photos above, and not a single person at all can carry his/herself the same as you while wearing it. Keep inspiring, keep striving, and never take negativity on comment threads too serious. As the great Dr. Seuss once said, “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

Antares F left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 3:17 PM:

That looks to be a Brooks Brothers button on the blazer, even though it’s listed as a Norman Hilton. I can’t imagine you would have switched buttons from one brand to another.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 12:30 PM:

@GHY—I work with classically trained, experienced product designers. I never shared that I was in concept marketing…nor would I be interested in a position as such. Go read my “About” section…it’s all right there.

GHY left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 12:26 PM:

Don’t you typically need experience as a designer to be hired by RL as a product designer? I thought you told us all that your job was in concept marketing - no?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 12:26 PM:

@Ty Webb—Style is not about what brands one chooses to wear but instead about how one wears the pieces they choose to fold into their wardrobe. Do you think most people are wearing those zebra print Prince Alberts??? Wake up man. You cry that my personal style is 60% of the company from which I buy them from, but are your pieces any different? Does your oxford shirt look much different than mine? Does your ribbon belt look much different than mine? My guess is they look similar. The difference between you and me is in how we wear them. Many companies manufacture similar products to Ralph Lauren. Ralph Lauren just chooses to make them better (quality) in many cases.

Ty Webb left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 12:11 PM:

@FEC - I don’t doubt that you’re a fan of RL products. You prattle on about how this blog is a reflection of your personal style.  Well how can it be YOUR personal style if 60% of the items come from one manufacturer?

Al left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 11:58 AM:

Loving the Stubbs and Wootton slippers, are they vintage? Also, are those Brooks Brothers buttons on a Norman Hilton jacket?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 11:50 AM:

@Ty Webb—Ralph Lauren does not pay me to push their products. I am actually employed by them to design product. I wear the product because I like it. I talk about the product here because I like it. If you aren’t a fanatic about the company you work for, then what are you doing there?

Ty Webb left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 11:38 AM:

So let’s see, you’re paid by Ralph Lauren to push their products and 5 out of 8 of your selections are theirs.  Good effort indeed Fred.

DBCC left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 10:18 AM:

I LOVE 1-6, especially 2 and 5..  Great effort, Fred.

• Easy Rider

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: short sleeve oxford cloth button down, canvas riding pant. This young lady owns somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 oxford shirts. That's unabashedly prep.

May 22, 2012 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 6/13/2012 at 10:36 PM:

Who is this?!

She’s cute.

Red Tag Chic Los Angeles left a comment on 6/10/2012 at 1:16 PM:

love your cool style….lovely blog too!

Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

Robin left a comment on 6/9/2012 at 2:22 PM:

Effortless! Love it!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 10:51 PM:

@Cam—That jacket is a varsity jacket with leather sleeves and a wool body, not a baseball jacket.

Reginald IV left a comment on 6/6/2012 at 10:25 PM:

The square face watch is classic American style.

cam left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 10:03 PM:

@fec - what about the baseball jacket u wore in front of that jukebox?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 9:52 PM:

@AEV—Baseball attire isn’t preppy.

AEV left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 6:57 PM:

I’m gonna start wearing baseball uniform leggings with loafers….

Jack left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 5:53 PM:

A predilection for ‘riding pants’

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 4:51 PM:

@Desmond K—The Range Rover was serendipitous.

ANH Style left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 10:46 AM:

One can never have too many oxfords, in my opinion. Great bag.

Desmond K left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 7:52 AM:

....And I love the early model Range Rover in the background. Did you walk her over to that spot or was she already there?

Desmond K left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 7:50 AM:

Fabulous look and she pulls it off effortlessly…

http://chinosandcheesecake.blogspot.com

Miss Margarita left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 6:29 AM:

love her sandals!!

morganvsmorgan left a comment on 6/5/2012 at 4:16 AM:

Haha, your comment form is amazing! Love it. Aside from that, I like how her entire bottom half matches exactly, the pants, the shoes, the bag - and then she sets it off with an oxford shirt in a beautiful shade of lavender.

• Smoke Break

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: white jeans, Hickey Freeman linen/tweed/silk jacket.

May 17, 2012 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

JKS left a comment on 5/25/2012 at 6:51 PM:

Harrison, the loafers are Cole Haan.

Fsp left a comment on 5/25/2012 at 5:22 PM:

Classic cool — Classic right.

ANH Style left a comment on 5/25/2012 at 9:49 AM:

Great look- you do not often see guys in white pants!

Caroline | Back Down South left a comment on 5/25/2012 at 9:13 AM:

Kirk looking fine!!

Harrison Krupnick left a comment on 5/25/2012 at 7:34 AM:

I like the loafers, who makes them?

• Older Posts