• Sweat Equity

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Jun 28, 2012 | Permalink (37) View/Leave Comments

Robert left a comment on 7/9/2012 at 8:06 AM:

The fit is absolutely perfect. While there is an abundance of accessories, they appear very subtle.  Perfection!

Michael left a comment on 7/5/2012 at 9:49 AM:

Great Look! Love it!

Gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 7/3/2012 at 8:47 PM:

Lovely girl.

Glenn left a comment on 7/3/2012 at 8:48 AM:

Try the Tombs & 1789 also the original Clydes on M Street! in the Fall! I’ve enjoyed it since 1970’s!

lics left a comment on 7/3/2012 at 6:14 AM:

That is the correct blog for anybody who wants to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its virtually arduous to argue with you (not that I really would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply great!

James left a comment on 7/2/2012 at 10:39 PM:

That’s my girl. Doing what she do!

Saturdays left a comment on 7/2/2012 at 10:07 PM:

@JAH - I wish I could experience working there. I actually don’t work for a clothing/apparel company whatsoever. Though I think its the direction I would hope to move towards as my career progresses.

JAH left a comment on 7/2/2012 at 7:31 PM:

Saturdays, don’t you work at Gant Rugger?

TTG left a comment on 7/2/2012 at 9:36 AM:

Those are some really cool shorts. But i would think if it’s that hot to wear those shorts, a sweatshirt wouldn’t be a good choice?

http://thetreasuregentleman.wordpress.com/

Saturdays left a comment on 7/1/2012 at 9:59 PM:

@AEV - I don’t see how it doesn’t take some confidence to wear her outfit. If she didn’t put effort into the outfit and radiate confidence this would be a completely different look.

I personally wear my pair around friends and co-workers and everyone gives my compliments, and mentions it takes guts/confidence to wear something like that. There’s no need for a Ralph Lauren or Rugby store to be anywhere near me to wear them. As Fred mentioned, there are several occasions and spots wear they fit in just fine.

I suggest you grab a pair and try them out yourself, they seem to be on sale at the moment.

J.Miller left a comment on 7/1/2012 at 7:09 PM:

Want to be a real rebel sweetheart.How about you bring this Jew home to mommy and daddies for the weekend. :)

Thad left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 11:09 PM:

@ Mr. AEV-

You have convinced me to give The Tombs another chance. Is there a time of the year (season) and day of the week that you would suggest that I revisit this establishment. I cancelled a reservation that a lady made for us at 1789 once and made a reservation at the uber- pretentious Inn at Little Washington instead. I regretted having interfered with her plans after we had a particularly unpleasant dining experience that evening at the Inn, so I will also keep 1789 in mind for the future. Where do you prefer to frequent for a well mixed and reasonably priced gin and tonic in the District?

I hope that the arrangements with the lady are coming along well as she is clearly betrothed to a gentleman of distinction.

AEV left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 2:51 PM:

@Thad - The Tombs, for what it may be worth, has been around since 1962 (making it one of the oldest, continuously operating restaurants in the city). It inspired the setting for “St. Elmo’s Fire” (and was profiled in the Original “Preppy Handbook”). It’s breads and desserts are made fresh daily by the restaurant 1789, a five star establishment next door that is rated one of the area’s very best restaurants. It is well reviewed and recommended by the Washington Post’s dining critic. It oozes authenticity and is a right of passage for Georgetown seniors/faculty/alumni/residents. Simply put, while you may not have enjoyed it, I don’ think it sucks.

I agree, Martin’s is great…I never said otherwise.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 1:45 PM:

@Cam—What is effortless to one may be laborious to another. It’s about how you carry yourself.

And most importantly, remember that this is New York (more fashion), not New England (more function)

cam left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 1:30 PM:

@F.E. Castleberry - you conducted an interview with Glenn Ebert in 2011 and he asked you what your definition of prep is, your response “prep is about dressing perfectly without trying to, appearing to do everything well with ease..”. Do you feel that this picture is in that spirit?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 1:01 PM:

@Thad—Would you turn that date down?

Thad left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 12:39 PM:

Oh, and The Tombs sucks, AEV. (Thanks for recommending it, sir.) Martin’s is a better establishment.

Thad left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 12:30 PM:

@AEV

A date at the Rugby Cafe in Georgetown with Mr. Fred Castleberry.

AEV left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 11:56 AM:

@Saturdays—This outfit strikes you as ‘gutsy’? A logoed sweatshirt and critter shorts? I don’t get gutsy.

Saturdays left a comment on 6/30/2012 at 2:53 AM:

@AEV - if you have the guts to do it, you can wear that or other outfits similar to hers anywhere.

It just takes some courage and sense of style.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/29/2012 at 8:56 PM:

@AEV—Perhaps…and other spots and occasions.

AEV left a comment on 6/29/2012 at 8:27 PM:

@Fred - Yes, in a Rugby shop, in NYC.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/29/2012 at 8:07 PM:

@AEV—New York, NY ;)

y l hollander left a comment on 6/29/2012 at 8:40 AM:

Bow tie with untucked shirt; sweatshirt with short shorts—-> Contradictions + complexity = CONFIDENCE. And she looks like a young Marilise Flusser which is never a bad thing.

Red Tag Chic Los Angeles left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 11:54 PM:

The shorts are utterly adorable!!

Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

Reginald IV left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 8:51 PM:

I love this. Bow tie plus the skull patterned shorts.

Jack left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 5:17 PM:

Nice advert!

cam left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 2:49 PM:

The shirt works

Victor Delta left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 2:26 PM:

Watch and learn, America!

Courtney left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 1:33 PM:

Adorable. It’s all about those pink shorts, isn’t it? Any other bottom would just change the feel completely.

DL left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 12:41 PM:

A pretty nice outfit. Studied and outlandish? Absolutely, but women can pull that off far better than men.

Angel left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 10:36 AM:

@Paul, dude I think so. My guess is she is a Employee at the Rugby story.

Angel’s Point of View

C.L. Young left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 9:56 AM:

A beautiful young lady in a bowtie and OCBD is hard to come by and sexy as hell…when done correctly! This is perfect and this is done correctly! I love it! Job well done, F.C.

Caroline | Back Down South left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 9:53 AM:

She is my hero.

Paul left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 9:51 AM:

Is everything she has on from Rugby? Really?

Saturdays left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 8:37 AM:

She is a masterpiece. Great shot Fred!

Desmond K left a comment on 6/28/2012 at 6:46 AM:

I love the color of those shorts. And the belt is a nice touch as well. Great photo.

Chinos & Cheesecake

• Bootstrapping

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Noteworthy: riding boots, over-sized hoof pick belt, hand block silk pocket square.

Jun 26, 2012 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

Krystal Clark left a comment on 7/21/2012 at 8:36 AM:

She looks great! Lovin’ the sistas on Unabashedly Prep! We like to prep it out too :).

Elizabeth left a comment on 7/16/2012 at 3:21 PM:

I especially like the color of the pocket square—it livens up the whole outfit.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/15/2012 at 11:52 AM:

@Brad—Do I? You’d be hard pressed to find a post in which I list the specific brands a person is wearing (outside of a notable accessory,  piece of jewelry, or vintage). When someone asks in the comments where a particular piece is from, I make an effort to reach out to the subject and find out (if it didn’t previously come up in conversation when I shot them).

Brad left a comment on 7/15/2012 at 7:50 AM:

@FEC - you list the brands of items profiled all the time….many times following up with add’l brand names in the comments section.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/14/2012 at 2:08 PM:

@AEV—I couldn’t tell you since I don’t ask the people I photograph what they are wearing head to toe.

AEV left a comment on 7/14/2012 at 9:23 AM:

@FEC—What pieces of clothing on this woman aren’t by Ralph Lauren?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/13/2012 at 11:30 AM:

@Alba—I believe the riding boots are by Ralph Lauren. There aren’t too many outfits making this quality of fashion riding boot but Ralph Lauren is one of them.

AEV left a comment on 7/13/2012 at 9:59 AM:

@Alba - My educated guess is that the boots are by Ralph Lauren.

Alba left a comment on 7/13/2012 at 12:26 AM:

Love the look, thanks for sharing!

The humour with Ralph Lauren aside, where did the lady in the picture get her boots?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/11/2012 at 2:27 PM:

@AEV—For me, this look works. Had I thought about riding boots with chino shorts for women before? No, honestly. This inspired me. Do I think riding boots are meant to be paired with shorts? They were initially designed to be worn with Jodhpurs…but all the more reason to share this image with everyone here—because she makes it work with shorts.

AEV left a comment on 7/11/2012 at 12:00 PM:

@Fred—Are you suggesting that leather riding boots are a summer shoe? Do you think riding boots are meant to be paired with shorts?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/11/2012 at 11:53 AM:

@AEV—This particular blazer isn’t cotton, but tropical wool. Even better in the summer.

AEV left a comment on 7/11/2012 at 11:47 AM:

Sure, a cotton blazer works fine in June.

cam left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 10:58 PM:

@Leo - where else but Ralph Lauren of course….....HA mr. castleberry, I beat you to the punch ;)

Leo left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 9:19 PM:

I love the picture!

My girlfriend really likes those boots, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where she can find some?

C.L. Young left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 6:54 PM:

The look is very polished! I especially like the blazer/ocbd/pocket square combination. As a man, the upper half is what I would wear (but with bow tie). The boots are “too die for” and work well with the look. The shorts in place of skirt looks really good and the colors all work very well. Women can get away with so many things in fashion! Just let me try getting away with wearing cowboy boots with khaki shorts! She looks very serious but I agree with Desmond in saying that she most likely has an awesome smile.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 2:22 PM:

@Caroline—My best guess would be Ralph Lauren.

@Margaret—I shot this photograph about a month ago. This young lady is in cotton shorts and a lightweight navy blazer…this seems to be perfectly suitable for early summer in the city on a weekday.

Caroline | Back Down South left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 1:59 PM:

Would love to know where the oversized hoof pick belt is from..

Margaret left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 10:02 AM:

When was this photo taken? Doesn’t strike me as comfortable in 80 degree+ June/July heat….

Desmond K left a comment on 7/9/2012 at 10:14 PM:

I love this look on ladies. I can never get enough of it. I bet she has an awesome smile too.

Chinos & Cheesecake

• The Ivy League

Music & Books  

Last week I popped into the Gant Rugger shop on Prince Street to visit with some old friends and new while Daniel Cappello signed copies of his new book The Ivy League. While I had not formerly met Cappello until he was scrawling his name inside my cloth-bound copy, we discovered I had photographed him on the street earlier this year. He’s feeling daring tonight in royal blue slim cargo pants sobered up by a navy blazer and open button down collar. It's a good look.

“Harvard was one of the breeding grounds of classic Ivy style: that utterly effortless, nonchalant fashion affected by floppy-haired Andover and Exeter alums coming of age in a mix of relaxed athletic sportswear, crest-bearing navy blazers, khaki chinos, and striped repp ties.”

—Daniel Cappello

Many precedent books on the Ivy League were born out of admiration from the outside looking in, but Cappello’s homage is birthed from within a 375 year-old crimson crucible. Despite it being a beautiful coffee table book, it’s just not Ivy style eye candy. Cappello actually goes to great lengths to dust off obscure traditions—from all eight Ivies, not just his own Harvard—and share the unique character of each campus. The fact that he acknowledges the Ivy style of dress and yet presses deeper into the richness of these institutions of higher learning is fresher than a breath of Dartmouth air.

A drawing of the “Sweaters of the Ivy League” depicts letterman sweaters from the various Ivy League schools while poking fun at the so-called gentleman’s C, which many of the them issued in lieu of failing students from influential families.

Jun 21, 2012 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Brandon S left a comment on 6/23/2012 at 6:33 PM:

Cappello may have gone to Harvard, but the cover is the gate to Branford Courtyard at Yale!

Desmond K left a comment on 6/14/2012 at 8:50 PM:

I heard about the release of this one a few weeks ago. I haven’t gotten the chance to get my hands on it yet though. Eagerly looking forward to it…

http://chinosandcheesecake.blogspot.com

• Tomboy Style

Music & Books  

More often than not, I have found myself drawn to a woman's sense of style only to find out later that she was a tomboy in her youth. I like to think that it’s a testament to my affinity for menswear or the androgynous northeastern preppy aesthetic—maybe it's completely unrelated. I suspect it's not. There's actually a really good style blog on the subject: Tomboy Style. What Lizzie Garrett Mettler, its author, proposes is that a tomboy is more than just a girl raiding her father's musky closet...it's an attitude. While she has only been publishing her musings on tomboy style for two years, last Thursday she was signing copies of her new book on the very subject at the Rugby shop on University. It's a testament to her acumen on the matter, after all, it takes one to know one. Mettler (gladly) spent her youth in a blazer at Brooks School in North Andover, MA, became fast friends with a polished New Yorker by the name of Kingsley Woolworth, and played varsity field hockey.

In Tomboy Style, Mettler's witty and inviting method of storytelling leave no tomboy archetype unturned: the rebel, the sophisticate, the jock, the prep, the adventuress, the girl next door, and the naturalist are all illustrated by a bevy of historic and current images of (mostly iconic) women. The black and white photograph of a young androgynous Tilda Swinton between two horses is worth the price of admission ($32.50) alone. But don't just thumb through the pictures. There's a moment where Mettler, in describing "the naturalist," captures the purest essence of what I really appreciate in a woman...

“She is minimal, she is free, she is natural. Her skin is sun-kissed, her spirit is untamed, her beauty is as old as the Earth.”

Jun 19, 2012 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Elizabeth left a comment on 7/16/2012 at 10:20 AM:

I need this book. Thanks for the heads-up!

delia left a comment on 7/16/2012 at 9:09 AM:

Always have been and always will be a tomboy :) Way to go Mettler!

AGW left a comment on 7/2/2012 at 9:50 PM:

Love it! Growing up a tomboy, I continued sporting events until eventually make it to 2004 Olympic Trials. I dearly LOVE wearing my US nationals costs complete with patches from the year and “Champion”, if I had a good day!
    As a kid going through my grandfather’s closet, I found his red and white high school varsity sweater.  I’ve loved the look ever since.
    Yeah, I rock white Frye bucks, red pants, wayfarers and a monogrammed Brooks Brothers OCBD. And, for one, I think it’s just as cool and attractive as a girl in an ill fitting skirt and tank.
    Buying a copy of this book tonight!
    Thanks for another fab read, FEC!

• Set Sail

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: Lilly Pulitzer enthusiast, Dorrian's regular.

Jun 14, 2012 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Elizabeth left a comment on 7/16/2012 at 3:23 PM:

She’s adorable, and while those shoes are not my own style, I have to respect anyone who can walk city streets in those.

cam left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 11:02 PM:

dream girl

Nic left a comment on 7/10/2012 at 5:52 PM:

Great looking girl, I dated a girl who was 4’10” for awhile at university. Outstanding girl and ended being our new coxswain.

RP left a comment on 7/9/2012 at 5:07 PM:

@MGM Being the young girl featured, I am 4’10”, so “serious” shoes are a way of life for me. :)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/9/2012 at 9:22 AM:

@MGM—I met this young lady during K. Cooper Ray’s book signing at J.McLaughlin’s UES boutique. This photograph was taken just right outside the shop.

MGM left a comment on 7/9/2012 at 6:41 AM:

Lovely picture.  And those shoes are serious!  I get the sense from the background that she is just walking around the town in this outfit.  So, those shoes are awfully serious!

JD left a comment on 7/7/2012 at 10:17 AM:

Love the girl, love the dress.

Jack left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 5:29 PM:

Nice work.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 3:06 PM:

@Angel—Yes; however, filters would be misleading. I am developing my images using some of VSCO’s presets as a starting point.

Angel left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 2:36 PM:

Cute girl.

Side note - F.E., you using VSCO film filters on your images now?

Caron left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 1:32 PM:

The dress is fantastic.  She has the bloom of youth—gorgeous.

Penny left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 11:37 AM:

Love the dress.

Christine Jennings left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 9:55 AM:

“You Gotta Regatta”
    Definitely a Summer 2012 Staple Dress.

George left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 9:08 AM:

Tim beat me to it. Love the girl, love the dress. Very nice package, indeed.

Tim left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 8:57 AM:

Nice dress (and smile). Dorrian’s regular for sure.

Desmond K left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 6:18 AM:

The print on that dress is awesome! And she looks so flippin innocent and adorable. I’m guessing it was a pop up shower that day?

Chinos & Cheesecake

phosil left a comment on 7/6/2012 at 3:20 AM:

that is such a cute dress

• Older Posts