• The Bear Inn

Culture  

It’s a crisp autumn evening and the last of the English sun dips behind the top of Oxford Town Hall. A couple of friends and I lock up our bikes at the end of a narrow alley and turn around to the oldest pub in Oxford, The Bear Inn—dating back to 1242. The Bear gives off a warm glow through the glass pane windows with vague silhouettes dancing back and forth. I take a pint of beer brewed just five miles down the road. It’s good...everything you’d expect from English pub culture.

After you get your hands around a pint, the first thing you notice are the horde of club tie snippets hanging from the walls and ceilings. And it's not hundreds, it's thousands. Started in 1952 by the landlord, Alan Course, and given by patrons (some famous) in exchange for half a pint of beer, the collection numbers northwards of 4,500 ties...ties mostly signifing membership of clubs, sports teams, schools, and colleges. You have to see them up close in person to truly appreciate the scope of it. And if you do make it into The Bear, don’t forget your club tie.

Aug 30, 2012 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Drew Poling left a comment on 10/1/2012 at 9:28 PM:

The Bear is a great spot.  I’ve left two tie ends there: one from my undergraduate a cappella group, the other from one of my city clubs.  Great memories.

Isis left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 5:30 PM:

Make sure you visit Vincent’s Club while in Oxford, also my old friend New College.

The-Bigwig left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 1:33 PM:

So…that’s a tie bar ;-) I would love to see some inside shots!

http://the-bigwig.blogspot.com/

Caron left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 8:11 AM:

Have fun, Fred.  Don’t you just love it there?  Me, too!

• As Happy as a Clam

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Aug 28, 2012 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Nic left a comment on 9/22/2012 at 10:53 AM:

@FEC maybe you need to set up a dating service for Parker and Rebecca

emjkmj left a comment on 9/18/2012 at 4:42 PM:

Parker, meet Rebecca
    Rebecca, meet Parker

Parker left a comment on 9/17/2012 at 2:21 PM:

Why can’t every girl be this stylish AND good looking? Complete package.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/12/2012 at 3:40 PM:

@Chris—August 16th is several weeks before Labor Day…perfectly acceptable.

Rebecca left a comment on 9/12/2012 at 2:31 PM:

This photo (of me) was taken earlier in the season…just an FYI.

cam left a comment on 9/12/2012 at 12:44 PM:

@Chris - who cares? this girl is drop dead gorgeous

Chris left a comment on 9/12/2012 at 11:44 AM:

A bit late in the season for this kind of outfit, isn’t it?

• Tomboy

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY by Mark Leibowitz

Noteworthy: over-sized v-neck cable knit sweater dress.

Aug 23, 2012 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

AJ Keroles left a comment on 10/11/2012 at 12:36 AM:

Great subject, fantastic shot.

Sila Mahmud left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 12:08 AM:

Thank you for a truly inspiring blog,

christina, Esq left a comment on 9/26/2012 at 8:17 AM:

preppy is always the way to go- the classic 80’s sweater made modern with long proportion is spot on!

Kim West left a comment on 9/26/2012 at 5:35 AM:

I love those shoes!! It is simply amazing. I find it so perfect for fall.

Tim left a comment on 9/18/2012 at 9:02 PM:

Just saw this sweater from Tommy Hilfiger at the Mercedes Benz NYFW the other week.  I liked the look for guys, but apparently this woman can pull it off as well! 

http://oneguysstyle.blogspot.com/

David left a comment on 9/18/2012 at 10:44 AM:

Note to self:  The SMILE makes the outfit!

scaleworm left a comment on 9/17/2012 at 11:26 PM:

Beautiful Woman…Oh,
    Where have you been all my life…?

Otter left a comment on 9/17/2012 at 11:21 AM:

reminiscent of the 80’s

Sarah mendelsohn left a comment on 9/14/2012 at 12:25 PM:

I love it. Thanks for sharing & great blog! xx

Sarah
    www.ahitofsarah.net

• The Cricket Blazer

Style  

Blazers, once commonly worn playing or attending traditional 'gentlemen's sports', persist in only some games now, such as cricket, where in professional matches it is considered customary for the captain to wear a blazer with the team's logo or national coat of arms on the breast pocket (at least during the coin toss at the beginning of the match). Those of the striped variety became popular among British mods in the mid 60s and again during the mod revival of the 70s. The likes of The Who's Pete Townsend, Small Faces, and The Kinks were just a few of the bands partying in the cricket blazer. It was really only a matter of time before it found its way into our own American sportswear vernacular.

Over the past year I have been photographing piped and striped boating blazers from the Ivy League to The Netherlands and have seriously been entertaining the jacket as a fashion piece. Although I have a couple cricket blazers buried deep in the recesses of my closet, I was somewhat uninspired to wear them until I ran across this photograph of Izzie Burch, Tory Burch’s step-daughter. Then it just clicked—maybe it is just about the contrasting tonal shirt/tie pairing, a washed jean, and a Prince Albert slipper?

Aug 21, 2012 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

Joey Dee left a comment on 10/22/2012 at 1:08 PM:

The whole set up is lovely.
    I have been desiring a schoolboy jacket for some time now, i like how hers has peak lapels.

Mel left a comment on 9/20/2012 at 4:04 PM:

dying to know who made her shoes…..

Hope @ Fairhope Supply Co. left a comment on 9/10/2012 at 9:27 AM:

I don’t like blazers that are too tight or too loose.  This one looks about right.

DBL left a comment on 9/5/2012 at 3:12 PM:

Cricket and boating blazers are wonderful things. But to say there’s a high degree of difficulty for men is an understatement.

Tim left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 7:10 PM:

I love this style jacket, and as good as it looks on this girl, I can’t help but wonder if it would look good on a young guy.  Any thoughts?  Also, where would one be able to find that style jacket?

Whitney Worthington left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 12:36 PM:

I love the cricket blazer. The fun color just adds a nice punch when an outfit needs it. So classic and Ivy-ish.

Caron left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 11:31 AM:

Great post, Fred.  I love, love love cricket and schoolboy blazers on both men and women.! It takes a certain type of man to wear them but most definitely the jackets need a modern spin by pairing with distressed jeans.  Anything else would be too precious, uptight and literal.  In 2009 (where has the time gone?), I blogged about the schoolboy/cricket blazer and I am still obsessed.  The jackets I posted were from Balenciaga’s 2007 AW collection.  Unlike a passing fad, I think the jackets look just as good today as they did in 1907, 2007 and on…
    http://queenofcashmere.com/daybook/rock-n-roll-baronial/

Harry left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 9:55 AM:

I feel women - esp the daughters of designers - can get away with all sorts of stuff men can’t….including this type of blazer and leather, leather soled loafers which are loosely styled after men’s formal slippers.

Desmond K left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 8:43 AM:

I’ve never owned a cricket striped blazer. Maybe just a little too loud for my taste. However, I feel like I would be willing to make an exception and wear it to the polo grounds. I’m a firm beliver that every garment has its place where it would be best received. And I agree that the tonal shirt/tie combo helps keep things from looking too busy.

Chinos & Cheesecake

• White Coat

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: velvet Prince Albert slippers (outside the house).

Aug 16, 2012 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Kuba Lecki left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 7:41 AM:

This is an incredible look! I’d love to see this gentleman’s wardrobe!

Sila Mahmud left a comment on 9/27/2012 at 12:05 AM:

Wow! So cute, nice blog, I found it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Tim left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 7:08 PM:

Where could I find a jacket like this?  I am in high school so I need to find something within my budget, but I’m really looking for a nice white jacket.

Dave left a comment on 8/31/2012 at 7:47 PM:

A nice photo.

Char left a comment on 8/30/2012 at 7:03 AM:

A bit daft to wear slippers in cold-weather velvet with a blazer of lightweight fabric. I’d swap the velvet PAs to season-appropriate tapestry, linen, or woven rattan personally. Spot on though.

y l hollander left a comment on 8/29/2012 at 9:31 AM:

Perhaps it’s just because I’m a stocky guy and preternaturally averse to clingy garments, but that jacket looks to be just a wee bit on the overly snug side for me.

Granted, an overly roomy white jacket could give rise to David Byrne wisecracks (and then again, perhaps that too is just me).

Raymond left a comment on 8/27/2012 at 4:56 PM:

The fit of his jeans are great, perfect for pairing with slippers.

www.thedapperdiamonddistrict.com

Christina, Esq left a comment on 8/27/2012 at 11:57 AM:

fabulous. white is to be worn 12 months a year. and that is one of my favorite spots in Manhattan, Id know it anywhere!

http://wearingwhiteafterlaborday.blogspot.com/

Orgastic Future left a comment on 8/27/2012 at 12:21 AM:

The jeans are remarkable! Especially paired with the Prince Albert slippers. And the attention to detail with the cuffing is awesome!

Saturdays left a comment on 8/26/2012 at 11:16 PM:

Looks great Fred. Not a big fan of the jeans and uneven cuffing. But the bloke is charming and in midst of it all looks terrific.

• Older Posts