• Mismatch Theory

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in Oxford, England

Noteworthy: mismatched red and blue socks, needlepoint Georgetown rowing belt hand-sewn by girlfriend, velvet Prince Albert slippers emblazoned with personal crest, cutaway collar oxford cloth shirt, impeccable fit.

I met Jack a little over a year ago when he approached me to collaborate on a unique personal photography project. We've traveled the back roads of New England together, crashed (questionable) couches in Wisconsin together, wandered The Netherlands together, and drank in the oldest of English pubs together...and he's never not been in mismatched red and blue socks. It's his thing. I like that. My thing is tort shell glasses—I've been in some variation of them for more than 15 years now. What's your thing?

Sep 11, 2012 | Permalink (32) View/Leave Comments

Roger C. Russell II left a comment on 11/20/2013 at 6:09 PM:

I wear a lot of traditional prep clothing and mix it with Western/Cowboy clothing. Think Stetson Open Road with Barbour. I sometimes think I look like I am from a Wes Anderson film.

ROI left a comment on 2/23/2013 at 12:40 AM:

Isn’t he precious!

kathie left a comment on 10/18/2012 at 9:27 PM:

Blunt 1940’s bob, cowboy boots, pearls and a red Chevy pickup.

Meg left a comment on 10/9/2012 at 5:15 AM:

A thick flannel and Bean boots in the winter!

RHM left a comment on 10/8/2012 at 9:07 PM:

@Danger—I have a tweed SC from Gieves & Hawkes in what looks to be the same cloth, and with very similar shoulder expression as well. That would be my guess.

Danger left a comment on 10/7/2012 at 10:26 PM:

Where did he get that fantastic jacket?

I want.

Ann left a comment on 10/7/2012 at 12:36 PM:

I have known Jack for 7 years and can testify that he is a man of good taste and character.  Jack performed the duties of Best Man for my son, Eric, and maintained his sock tradition throughout the formal wedding!  :-).  His “Toast” rivaled the top stand-up comics.  He’s a man of many talents!!

Nic left a comment on 10/7/2012 at 4:49 AM:

Love the trousers.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/7/2012 at 12:22 AM:

@Mike—The bag keeps the look youthful, it adds an unexpected twist. It says, “I’m still at university.”

Maisy left a comment on 10/6/2012 at 8:58 AM:

I should explain I am no longer at school and am far less often surrounded by the girls I once wished I was. Now I have lots of kicking rad friends that wear what they want, how they want and look blooming marvelous doing it.

Maisy left a comment on 10/6/2012 at 8:56 AM:

Wild, curly red hair and my Barbour. You can spot me in any crowd and pick me out of even the grainiest pictures. I used to wish I would blend in with my friends at school but now I’m just me (cliché that it is) and feel more comfortable than I ever would with straight blonde hair, pearls and a cardigan.

christina, Esq left a comment on 10/6/2012 at 6:38 AM:

Love the red pants and blazer. My thing is wearing my mother’s solid gold bangle alongside my husband’s Rolex (that I gave him as a wedding present). Gives me a powerful feeling and makes me happy to have a piece of each of them with me all day!

Mike left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 9:25 PM:

All top drawer!  Only tweak, the bag undermines his look.

Rose left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 8:42 PM:

I live roughly 20 feet from the University of Wisconsin boathouse.  This fellow has impeccable style!

PSP left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 8:41 PM:

Ray ban Wayfarers and navy blue Paul & Shark sweaters

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 4:20 PM:

@Sam VanRyzin—We were in and around the University of Wisconsin…boathouse, etc.

WMM left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 8:26 AM:

@FEC I would have to guess he thinks about purposely mismatching his socks together when he’s doing his laundry…

Sam VanRyzin left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 11:38 PM:

Where were you in Wisconsin? I live here and there are only a handful of locations with any sort of “preppy- ness”. Also, I love the glasses in his breast pocket, I am rarely seen without my glasses or sunglasses dangling out of mine.

ladybleu1920 left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 8:46 PM:

my cardigans and stud pearls….always :)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 5:37 PM:

@SomeDude—That would be your cure to educate a woman on the simple premise that you never touch a man’s tie ;)

@TT—He probably thinks about it as much as I think about wearing tort shell glasses…which is hardly at all. It’s a style choice I made once so that it would be one less thing to think about when getting dressed. It’s part of his/my uniform.

SomeDude left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 4:00 PM:

I’m rather fond of accentuating the curve of my tie by using a tie bar to push it a little more. Additionally, wearing my tie a little off - too many pics of Agnelli, or from Pitti. my current squeeze, as well as too many generally fussy girls have the horrible habit of trying to fix it. I guess it gives me an excuse to flirt I guess.

TT left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 3:22 PM:

“@Desmond K—It doesn’t matter what Jack is wearing: blue sock on right foot, red sock on left foot. He doesn’t even think about it.”

This is where you lose me, FEC. He doesn’t think about it? Bollocks.

Matt left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 9:17 AM:

Fray. I like things to be a bit worn and lived-in looking. When things are too perfect it makes me feel stuffy.

Orgastic Future left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 2:13 AM:

A mountain of sweater vests…every season,every color, every day.

C.L. Young left a comment on 10/4/2012 at 12:38 AM:

Give me plenty argyle socks and I am a happy man! I can’t go without them. I guess that’s “my thing”.

On the gentleman’s outfit, I will say that for me, the pants are a glaring distraction from the awesome jacket. My eyes are drawn to the pants and I have to force myself to “see” the other items, which are all great! I suppose THIS is the reason they call it G.T.H.  Love the mismatched socks!

Scot Meacham Wood left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 11:39 PM:

Stubbs and Wootton, and a little tartan.

canvas left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 11:12 PM:

something that ive made

i love when im able to tell someone theyre not going to be able to buy what im wearing

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 9:08 PM:

@Al—Yes, that is his J.Press oar tie bar.

@Desmond K—It doesn’t matter what Jack is wearing: blue sock on right foot, red sock on left foot. He doesn’t even think about it.

Al left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 9:04 PM:

@FEC is he wearing a J. Press oar tie bar? If so (or regardless) I tip my hat to him—from one style-minded rower to another. Very solid look.

Desmond K left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 9:04 PM:

I must admit, it works. So does he typically keep a neutral color palate with his shirt/pants/blazer? Blue socks are universal, but I would think there are a few things that red would clash with. Btw, my “thing” is that I’m almost always either in a pair of desert boots or loafers.

Chinos & Cheesecake

C left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 8:52 PM:

Look at my fucking red trousers

Jen left a comment on 10/3/2012 at 8:51 PM:

Cardigans w/double strand pearls.

• The Needlepoint Belt

Style | Culture | Prep Essentials  

According to the 80s-penned Official Preppy Handbook, the needlepoint belt is a “must accessory for the collegiate B.M.O.C. (big man on campus)" and typically a gift from women of a certain sort and class...women committed to memorializing young love by stitching a needlepoint belt for their beau. Ironically, it eventually garnered notoriety as the breakup belt. By the time the belt was finished, someone in the relationship had often decided to move on.

While preppy fashion has gradually evolved over the last 30 years, the casual and jaunty nature of needlepoint belts has not. It's the preppy catholicon for holding up ill-fitting khakis, shorts, and summer suit trousers.

Victoria Stulgis started needlepointing at age 12 when she and her mom wandered into the Nantucket clothing/needlepoint boutique, Erica Wilson. By 15, she became much more avid. After a day at the stables, she and her equestrian friends would slumber party at each other's homes and needlepoint in front of the TV. "It was rather unconventional, I think," Stulgis recalls.

"I started working on [my boyfriend] Jack's belt when I was 17. Back then I was rather quick at needlepointing and it only took 3-6 months (I think there was a time when I was needlepointing during history class)."

When she was finished with the crossed oars design in Georgetown colors (and still in the relationship) Stulgis sent the canvas to a leather shop just outside Lexington, KY, which she had stumbled across while competing at the US National Pony Finals in 2004. They do a top notch job with the stitching and use superior quality leather, as they cater to the equestrian set down in Kentucky. Good thing too, since her boyfriend Jack has been throwing it around his waist almost daily for the past six years.

Can’t get your auntie, mum, or lovely lady to labor for months over this functional status statement? No worries. You can simply pick one up from Tucker Blair or Smathers & Branson; however, my favorite is one I came across from Rugby several years ago (beautiful repeating gold skull & bones on navy ground, wool thread, and better quality leather than the former). Most ring in under $200. Of course, the most valuable needlepoint belts are those made by moms or girlfriends like Stulgis.

Sep 6, 2012 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

PSP left a comment on 1/30/2014 at 10:27 PM:

My wife made a U Penn one that incorporated my initials as a Christmas gift.

Rowboats left a comment on 10/30/2012 at 8:35 PM:

M’s Canvashouse out of Lexington KY sells the best most extensive variety I have ever seen (and online!). You can also send it back to them to do leathering.  My boyfriend has multiple.

• 1924 Oxford University Boat Race Crew

Sports  

While in Oxford, England recently, I had the honor and pleasure of spending some time with a handful of this year’s Olympiads and gold medalists in rowing—Andrew Triggs Hodge being one of them. He took gold for England (for the second time) in the coxless four just a few months ago. While visiting, I noticed an old rowing illustration in the spirit of the popular Vanity Fair rowing portraits hanging in his living room. It’s an 88 year-old sketch of the 1924 Oxford University Boat Race Crew.

1924 Oxford University Boat Race Crew

The Boat Race is an annual rowing race between the Oxford University Boat Club and the Cambridge University Boat Club, rowed between competing eights on the River Thames in London. The two have been at it every year since 1829. I learn that it holds some significance because Hodge rowed at Oxford. Though what appears to be a strapping (and very stylish—notice the variations in which to wear a scarf) young group of men, that 1924 crew didn’t win. Perhaps Hodge had it hanging for motivation, having stroked Oxford to victory in the 2005 Boat Race.

Sep 4, 2012 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

The Stig left a comment on 9/30/2012 at 6:02 PM:

J.E. Pedder looks like Jeremy Clarkson

makaga left a comment on 9/28/2012 at 9:20 AM:

Great illustration, thanks for sharing it.

• Newer Posts