• Lovely Weather for Ducks

Dress Code  

Photographed in Narragansett, RI

Noteworthy: all over embroidered duck sweater, Scottish wool plaid beach blanket.

Nov 29, 2012 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 12/12/2012 at 11:53 AM:

The brilliant color of that sweater suit her really well.

Tierney left a comment on 12/11/2012 at 9:45 AM:

I agree with Dan—I desperately want that sweater.  There’s something so endearing about ducks.

Jean left a comment on 12/11/2012 at 7:51 AM:

Like your style!

Elisabeth left a comment on 12/11/2012 at 6:04 AM:

love it - especially the sweater and Carly’s curly hair

Dan left a comment on 12/11/2012 at 1:04 AM:

That sweater has got to be vintage. It’s just too tame. If it were made today, it’d have the ducks in santa hats and skis or something.

And if it is new, I *desperately* want it.

• Double Down

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: double breasted navy blazer.

Nov 27, 2012 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 12/12/2012 at 11:54 AM:

I wonder what sort of socks he’s wearing? Lively socks would make this even better.

MLC left a comment on 12/9/2012 at 4:56 PM:

@Tad - the Chelsea boots are by Gant.

Tad left a comment on 12/9/2012 at 4:26 PM:

Would it be possible to share the maker or model of those great boots?

MGM left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 8:02 PM:

Very sharp look.  This is the exact look I aim for when going to work.  The club collar and bold stripe tie with the navy blazer is a classic American look.

However, let me make one observation.  I think pants of this stlye—dress wool pants—look much better with cuffs.  I buy all my dress pants with cuffs.  This look would be much improved if the pants were cuffed.
    I also wouldn’t wear those shoes (boots?), but that is a personal style choice, and so to each his own on that score.  I personally prefer a tassel loafer.

Overall very solid look.

Taylor left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 5:05 PM:

Nothing goes with formal wear like man bracelets.

Al left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 3:15 PM:

Very similar look to Dan Akroyd/Eddie Murphy in Trading Places. Nice.

• How To Be A Man

Music & Books  

As a man, if your education in dressing went something like this, “Here, put this on,” unbeknownst at the time, you suffered a huge injustice at the hands of your dad, mom, your ugly uncle—or heaven forbid, your mother-in-law. Glenn O'Brien has rightly observed that "looking good, or actually looking right, is not high on the cultural curriculum of the American male." And why should it be? Many of us spent the entirety of our childhood in costume. And for those who weren't, their clothes were neatly laid out on their beds for them each morning by their mums.

Now, this is all good and well if your mom was Jackie O., Princess Di, or even C.Z. Guest. Odds are, they weren't. It is for this reason that I find Glenn O'Brien's How To Be A Man: A Guide to Style and Behavior for the Modern Gentleman required reading. Not only does O'Brien draw upon 30 years of sartorial expertise in expounding on style (versus fashion), but he delves into areas of behavior (how to deliver the correct insult anyone?), manhood, and philosophy. And it is all delivered in his trademark droll prose. Brush up on how to be a man...and make your ugly uncle proud at the next Christmas dinner.

"If more men read Glenn O’Brien, women would have a lot less explaining to do.”

—Kate Moss

Nov 22, 2012 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

J left a comment on 12/5/2012 at 12:41 PM:

@Tom, I read quite a few things that as a whole, I completely agree with and turn to for inspiration. There will always be parts though, that I do not agree with. This is what makes it your own unique style, the ability to draw inspiration from multiple sources and make it your own.

Just curious though, what exact does he contradict that is in the book?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2012 at 8:45 AM:

@Tom—I read every book I recommend/write about.

Tom left a comment on 12/5/2012 at 8:15 AM:

There are numerous anecdotes and pieces of advice in this book that your behavior and ‘style’ directly and aggresively contradict - have you actually read this?

• A Tour of JFK’s Georgetown Homes

Culture  

by Moses Y. Bension

President Kennedy occupied several homes in Georgetown as a congressman, senator, and presidential candidate. He moved frequently over the course of his legislative tenure, taking his naval souvenirs and family mementos with him. From his election to Congress in 1946 until his move to the White House in 1961, President Kennedy lived in seven Georgetown row homes and mansions. Although now private residences, they can still be seen on a walking tour of the quiet streets of Georgetown.

At age 29, after having been elected to the House by Massachusetts’ now-retired 11th Congressional District, Jack moved into this 2600 square foot apartment at 1528 31st Street NW in 1946. He would live here for three years until moving in with his sister Eunice five blocks away.

Jack and Eunice entertained regularly at their 1400 34th Street apartment until she became engaged to Sargent Shriver. This Georgian-style mansion was built around the turn of the century, and he lived here from 1949 to 1951.

Defeating Senator Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. for his seat by a margin of 70,000 votes in 1952, Jack rented this five-bedroom 1819 apartment at 3260 N Street NW for two years. Washington journalist Charles L. Bartlett introduced him to Jackie at a dinner party at Bartlett’s house while Jack was living here.

3271 P Street NW was a relatively modest four-bedroom home for the junior Senator from Massachusetts. In January of 1953, shortly after moving in, he took Jackie to President Eisenhower’s inaugural ball. He was living here when he proposed to her.

3321 Dent Place NW, known affectionately as The Red House, was the first home for the newlywed couple. Senator and Mrs. Kennedy rented this attached four-bedroom town-home for five months until October of 1954 when Jack was admitted to the hospital for a risky spinal operation. The procedure meant to cure his wartime back injury, but Jack lapsed into a coma, and last rites were administered.

A recuperating Senator John F. Kennedy lived in this modest row home at 2808 P Street NW in 1957. It was the year that Jack’s Profiles in Courage won the Pulitzer and solidified his reputation as a deep political thinker.

Senator Kennedy found himself at 3307 N Street NW with Jackie just before Caroline was born. The Kennedys campaigned for Jack’s presidency from this 1811 three-story four-bedroom Federal mansion. It was up the street from Jack’s residence when he had first met Jackie. It would be his last residence before the White House.

Nov 20, 2012 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.as left a comment on 11/28/2013 at 2:53 AM:

Google Advertisements Our web sites possess promotion from Google; these use cookies to be sure you have adverts pertinent to you. You may tailor the kind of adverts you get by traveling to listed here or to opt out of this type of concentrating on you are able to pay a visit to the ‘Your Using the web Choices’ web page by clicking listed here.
    http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.asp?p=42 http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.asp?p=42

psp left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 10:41 PM:

FEC: Please also try the Red Fox Tavern in Middleburg, prep in the extreme.  DC is the new New York.

psp left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 10:30 PM:

FEC: John Kennedy proposed at booth number 3 in Martin’s Tavern on Wisconsin.  Try it when you in town.  My Sunday routine is to bike to Trinity Church and Martins for Lunch. Great tour.  Kathie is right about Hickory Hill.  Please also consider visiting Middleburg VA home of Glen-Ora.

S/Amatourist left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 8:52 PM:

i liked this a lot. thanks for the tour

Kathie left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 1:29 PM:

I can’t believe you didn’t go out to McLean to Hickory Hill. Hickory Hill was the late 17 hundred something? home that they purchased when she was pregnant with one of her babies that she lost…I think it was the third one she had right before John but not exactly sure or it could have been Arabella - the little girl that died at birth after Caroline. Anyway, she couldn’t bear to live in the house so they sold it to Bobby and Ethel. The house was recently sold and is being completely renovated. Next time you’re in DC let me know (via your blog) and I’ll let you know how to get there.

khordkutta left a comment on 12/7/2012 at 10:50 PM:

Great Shots, Great Article, well done FEC

• On the Dot

Dress Code  

Photographed in Cambridge, MA

Noteworthy: polka dot blouse, bird's eye (dots) sweater, leather brogues.

Nov 15, 2012 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

lo left a comment on 12/10/2012 at 1:51 PM:

sarah looking lovely as always

• Older Posts