• Social Primer FW13 Inspiration

Miscellany  

This week I’m down in The Holy City (perhaps nicknamed by virtue of the prominence of churches on the low-rise cityscape) for Charleston Fashion Week. Friend and colleague, K. Cooper Ray is showing his Social Primer Fall/Winter 2013 tailored clothing collection and I’m styling, shooting, and providing the proverbial second opinion. Inspired by the plight of the young Peter Ashley (protagonist of Charleston’s DuBose Heyward’s novel of the same name), pretty dandies from Anna Karenina’s Count Vronsky to England’s Prince Harry round out the muses for the season.

SP Smoking is American made and Charleston inspired—and it is looking incredible. Showstoppers include a red velvet smoking jacket with peak lapels and a fox head needlepoint cummerbund in navy. Although he plays with the boundaries of traditional tuxedo attire by introducing utilizing midnight blue, “Reagan red,” and oyster in his suiting, Ray remains true to the hallmark of evening-wear, the black tie. It is currently a madhouse at headquarters but we are fighting the good fight down to the very last minute before showtime Friday night at 8:00pm. For God, for country, for Charleston.

Mar 18, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/27/2013 at 4:03 PM:

@Angel—It’s not weird at all…we were holed up at his headquarters for three days straight prepping for his show and his show wasn’t at the Charleston Fashion Week tent. It was at the Charleston private library.

Angel left a comment on 3/27/2013 at 10:37 AM:

Thats weird, cause I didn’t see you or Cooper all week. Oh well.

Angel’s Point of View

Rake left a comment on 3/25/2013 at 3:18 PM:

Interested to see the collection.

Hope @ Fairhope Supply Co. left a comment on 3/24/2013 at 10:10 PM:

Reagan Red brings good memories and good feelings of a happier America.  Have fun in Charleston!

• Family Portrait 2013

Miscellany  

My boys are on spring break this week and I couldn't be happier that they're spending it with me in New York. It's their first time in the city and we're aiming for "best spring break ever." We'll accept nothing less. Yes, the Statue of Liberty is still closed from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, and yes, Sheep Meadow is not in season but we're not bitter. The American Museum of Natural History is a showstopper and F.A.O. Schwarz is still cool to 10 and 11 year-olds...and 30 year-olds too, surprisingly. I spied a 9" alligator head from the corner of my eye at the pop-up Evolution store and the little boy inside of me geeked out. Of course, I couldn't let them get back on that plane without a family portrait (and don't let other parents tell you otherwise, bribing the incentive system is how these things get done).

Best week ever.

Mar 15, 2013 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

JP left a comment on 5/14/2013 at 4:47 PM:

Who is this ‘Tim’ dick? Shut your pie-hole, dude.

Alec Vanderboom left a comment on 4/9/2013 at 11:01 AM:

well done sir

C.L. Young left a comment on 3/21/2013 at 6:53 PM:

@Tim—Let’s be and act gentlemanly! Is that not what being a man is about? Constructive criticism is one thing, but rudeness, very crude.

@Castleberry-This sums up what fatherhood is all about…quality time with those that matter the most! As a father of two great kids that I would go to the ends of the world for, I truly “get it”! Thanks for this heart-warming picture. It really made my day! We (meaning you and I and others who “get it”) are truly blessed!

psp left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 9:01 PM:

FEC, Glad you guys enjoyed Dylan’s.  She married one of my fraternity brothers from Penn. 
    If you make the trip to RI this summer I have some great recommendations for family activities.  My girls love the East Bay Bike Path with stops at Dell’s Lemonade.  We are looking at taking your recommendation on Boca Grande.  Looks as close as you can get to the Vinyard or Block in FL. Best PSP

EBCDesq. left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 7:53 PM:

I hope their first week in the city is the best! Have a most excellent time with them. And, hopefully they haven’t grown up so much that you can’t still swing from them from your limbs. :-)

RLS left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 7:47 PM:

You are blessed.

Richie left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 3:17 PM:

Just tell me what the shipping cost will be to my country (South Africa: a country devoid of good clothes).

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 3:01 PM:

@Richie—At the rate they’re going you won’t be waiting long.

Richie left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 2:50 PM:

As your boys outgrow their clothes, will you ship them to me for mine?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 12:24 PM:

@Tim—It’s simply decoration.

Tim left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 12:22 PM:

Fred - Talk to us about the taxidermy. Fair to assume you didn’t kill the beasts? Strikes me - perhaps - as a bit contrived to hang dead animals on your wall when you didn’t kill/hunt them….no?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 11:14 AM:

@Tim—The same day I shot this portrait we were shot by another photographer for a spring editorial feature…and plus, it was spring break :)

Tim left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 11:04 AM:

Why are you dressed in summer clothes?

Karen left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 9:05 AM:

Gorgeous family!

Dan left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 12:41 AM:

Love the set-up! Now SMILE, DANGIT.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/18/2013 at 9:35 PM:

@psp—We did indeed make a visit to Dylan’s Candy Bar for ice cream. They loved it. We had plans to check out the USS Intrepid but ran out of days. Next time…

psp left a comment on 3/18/2013 at 9:30 PM:

How about a trip to Dylan’s Candy Bar,  my girls loved it.  Then the Intrepid for a little testosterone

BG left a comment on 3/18/2013 at 8:03 PM:

Terrific taste in personal effects, ‘A Privileged Life’ indeed ...

MJ left a comment on 3/18/2013 at 7:27 PM:

Great portrait, your boys are adorable!

emjkmj left a comment on 3/18/2013 at 7:25 PM:

Fantastic family portrait, Wes Anderson approved….

• Style Icon: John F. Kennedy Jr.

Style  

In his closet: Blazers, micro-dot ties, trench coat, Lacoste polos, oxford cloth button down shirts, Shetland sweaters, O-ring leather belt, university stripe scarf, seersucker, athletic shorts

Iconic look: Trench coat and tie (as a boy), coat and tie (as a man)

Key accessories: Smile, family name

Thing you can't imitate: His pedigree

Mar 13, 2013 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Martina left a comment on 3/23/2013 at 5:18 PM:

The best. That’s all I can say. I’ll always love him & his style.

Victor left a comment on 3/22/2013 at 8:39 AM:

I think the entire family had a really good sense of style. Love the pictures!

http://digitalogphoto.blogspot.com/

PSP left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 8:45 PM:

His whole family had great style.  I admire them for trying to bring out the best in other people.

M Arthur left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 8:18 PM:

Amazing good looks…..and remarkable head of hair!  I think he was an Armani man in later years which doesn’t matter, the man could wear a canvas sack and still look good.

Sarah left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 2:32 PM:

Love this post.

Melinda left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 12:35 PM:

Simple elegance at it’s best!

Kate left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 10:35 AM:

Genuine, natural style. To all those who seem to believe ‘more is more’, class is in session.

RP left a comment on 3/20/2013 at 9:05 AM:

The photo of him as a boy in the seersucker blazer is absolute perfection.

• Bull + Tassel Prince Albert Slipper

Style  

When Lisa Birnbach divulged to all and sundry in True Prep that collecting is a prep pastime, I doubt she imagined Prince Albert slippers would ever be the object of one's affections. But yet, with upwards of ten pairs, here I am. Guilty pleasure? Absolutely. I blame the countless variations for my teetering on the fringe of excess: velvet, linen, needlepoint, monogrammed, facetiously  embroidered, tasseled...and plaid. Which brings me to my latest addition, a Glenurquhart check slipper by Bull + Tassel*.

Bull + Tassel was created by David Zimmerman, owner and founder of the southern California private membership club Matador Alcove in Costa Mesa, CA. Looking for a shoe that embodied the interests, character, and style of his members, he fashioned a “club shoe” that could be worn to suit their lifestyle. "I saw a need for a shoe that was not only luxurious but practical," Zimmerman recalls. The driver-esque rubber sole employed makes the slipper ideal for wearing outdoors as well as in. Whether you're looking to indulge your hoarding habit add to your collection or step into a Prince Albert slipper for the first time, I recommend going up a whole size in these...and lose the socks.

*courtesy of Bull + Tassel

Mar 11, 2013 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

JVB left a comment on 5/14/2013 at 11:42 PM:

How are these sized in comparison to a Del Toro?

http://www.pascheroakleys.net left a comment on 3/27/2013 at 8:33 AM:

L’importance de cette cant vêtements négliger. Par conséquent, il est essentiel que vous en avez un dans votre placard. Nous envoyer des invitations à toute notre famille et amis. Nous invitons nos frères et amis proches pour être demoiselles d’honneur.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/22/2013 at 12:51 PM:

@BMOC—These run $195.

BMOC left a comment on 3/22/2013 at 10:49 AM:

Love them. How much did they run you?

John Paul left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 6:44 PM:

I know they’re popular on all the best blogs, and they’re the kind of thing I would typically like; I just cannot get past the - what - the femininity (?) of them.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 12:53 PM:

@Barney—Still working on samples.

Barney left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 12:52 PM:

Any shots of the collection upcoming?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 10:39 AM:

@James—I do not use shoe trees for trainers or sneakers since I wear “invisible” socks with them.

James left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 10:27 AM:

Fred,

Do you also use shoe trees for your cloth and rubber sneakers?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 9:09 AM:

@James—I’ve found shoe trees serve to do three things: the cedar wood re-establishes your shoes’ original shape—ironing out creases in its leather, absorbs moisture your feet leave behind after 8 hours of pounding the pavement, and keeps the insoles smelling fresh. Save for the former, my slippers still benefit from shoe trees, especially since I don’t wear socks with them most of time.

James left a comment on 3/19/2013 at 7:54 AM:

I didn’t think you don’t need shoes trees with casual, rubber soled, cloth slippers.

• Diane Young

Music & Books  

Vampire Weekend just dropped their first single, cleverly named "Diane Young," from their forthcoming album Modern Vampires of the City. Let's enjoy and watch a car burn, together.

Mar 8, 2013 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Newer Posts Older Posts