• Cooper Ray on Classic Clothes

Style  

My pal Cooper Ray invited Dockers down to the Holy City recently to talk classic clothes and the finer points of the Charleston tuxedo.

"If you're dressing classically, you're always appropriate."    —Cooper Ray

Apr 17, 2013 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

Karen left a comment on 4/26/2013 at 6:30 PM:

Very nice.  I have followed his blog/brand for awhile, but this is the first time I’ve seen/heard him speak.  Funny, in my head I always thought it was pronounced Social “Primmer.”. I never get that one right!

Dan Speicher left a comment on 4/25/2013 at 12:47 PM:

Love Social Primer ties, great content.

cam left a comment on 4/24/2013 at 8:15 PM:

what can you say about k cooper ray…he is the best

emjkmj left a comment on 4/24/2013 at 6:20 PM:

Great video.  He seems like such a nice guy.

MGM left a comment on 4/24/2013 at 5:21 PM:

Great video.  This man’s enthusiasm for clothing is really quite charming.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/24/2013 at 1:55 PM:

@Peter—Bass Weejuns.

peter left a comment on 4/24/2013 at 1:51 PM:

What brand and style of loafer is Cooper wearing?

• The Official Sloane Ranger Handbook

Music & Books  

When The Official Preppy Handbook hit the shelves in 1980, the east coast American sub culture had flourished long enough, and aroused enough curiosity, to commence poking fun at it. For those familiar, it was such a hit that is spawned a sequel of sorts some 30 years later. On the heels of the The Official Preppy Handbook's popularity, England turned out a handbook of their own in 1982, The Official Sloane Ranger Handbook. The approach feels familiar, riffing on its predecessor down to the title itself. While hard to find, I serendipitously came across a copy in New York while vintage shopping.

What is a Sloane, you ask? The moniker refers to a stereotype in the UK of the young, upper class, or upper-middle-class who share distinctive and common lifestyle traits not all too different from American preppies. The exemplar female Sloane Ranger was considered to be Lady Diana Spencer before marrying The Prince of Wales. These fun illustrations (click them instead of pulling out your glasses) of the various Sloane uniforms from the book highlight the nuances of dressing the part. It’s all quite humorous...yet simultaneously quite serious.

Apr 15, 2013 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

CavalierHealth left a comment on 4/20/2013 at 11:11 PM:

Don’t forget the Sloane Rover!

Kathleen left a comment on 4/20/2013 at 8:28 PM:

Not so hard to find. Bought a copy on amazon for less than $10. Just had to wait forever (a month) for it to arrive from the uk.  It’s worth the wait.

RWK left a comment on 4/20/2013 at 2:16 PM:

And the ranger part came from a play on words, pairing it with sloane to sound like “The Lone Ranger.”

TJT left a comment on 4/20/2013 at 7:03 AM:

The “sloane” part comes from Sloane Square - A square bordering a number of the more affluent boroughs in London where one would typically find these sloane rangers.

Ashley left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 4:09 PM:

You might be interested in this book - an update of the Sloane Ranger culture which has changed greatly since the 80’s… http://www.pinkjulepabroad.com/2013/01/cooler-faster-more-expensive-return-of.html

• Dig Your Heels In

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY by Sara Kerens

Noteworthy: webbed D-ring belt worn with suit, double monk straps in a dirty suede. My friend Sara caught me in the middle of being a goof over the weekend in her Chelsea neighborhood. I may, or may not, have fallen over after my impromptu balancing act.

Rig:
    • Lookmatic eyeglasses
    • Rugby tropical wool suit
    • Polo Ralph Lauren knit tie
    • Rugby button down dress shirt
    • Polo Ralph Lauren silk pocket square
    • Ernest Alexander waxed canvas tote bag
    Ralph Lauren webbed D-ring belt
    • Mark McNairy dirty suede double monk straps with Dainite sole

Apr 12, 2013 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

S left a comment on 5/11/2013 at 5:39 PM:

more please

poloist12 left a comment on 4/25/2013 at 5:51 PM:

Damn playa!  looking good, hope the new local is working out for ya.

MMS left a comment on 4/23/2013 at 11:23 AM:

@FEC

Fashion isn’t for the faint of heart, huh?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 10:36 AM:

@Thomas—Yes, Sid Mashburn sells socks (sometimes), but I wasn’t to be taken literally in my embellished statement.

thomas left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 10:29 AM:

WSJournal, June 2011:

Mr. Mashburn, the Atlanta store owner, said he sells only wool socks, citing their superior breathability over cotton, and has no intention of carrying invisible socks anytime soon.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 10:08 AM:

@Emory—First and foremost, I think it’s great that you’re visiting the site as a mother to her teenage son. Welcome.

The reason I directed you to the piece I wrote, “Go-to-Hell Ankles” is because it does answer your question as to why your son wants to go sockless while wearing his uniform: quiet rebellion.

I’d like to mention my suit here is a tropical wool that can be worn year round. I went to work at Ralph Lauren almost everyday without socks. No one at J.Crew wears socks either—it’s my understanding that’s part of their corporate dress code. Sid Mashburn down in Atlanta practically doesn’t even know what a sock is. The rules relax a bit in the fashion business. Perhaps your son is showing signs of interest in it…or maybe he just wants to express himself within the confines of his school uniform?

At the end of the day, children should leave the house as their parents wish them to look. You hear that kids?!

Emory left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 9:45 AM:

@Fred—Why did you link to a previous blog post as opposed to address my question? I grew up in and still live in New England. My husband, and our kids, and I ‘go sockless’ all the time during the summer. That said, I have a hard time understanding when you believe it’s appropriate to wear a navy, wool, pinstripe suit without socks. A navy, wool, traditionally styled suit is a formal piece of attire - especially when paired with a necktie and leather shoes. You seem to be sending a strange signal by pronouncing that you never wear socks 3/4 of the year, regardless - apparently - of the rest of your outfit, the business at hand, etc…...and now you’ve got my son believing that ‘no socks’ is appropriate private, dress code adherent private school attire. Simply put, it’s not….and him emulating you/taking your advice will not only get him in trouble….it will have me on the phone with school administrators for hours!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 8:54 AM:

@Emory—After reading this piece I wrote on going sockless, this might explain your son’s behaviour.

Emory left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 7:27 AM:

Fred -

When you say you “never wear socks” 3/4 of the year, do you really mean that you don’t wear socks, as a rule, with formal suits? Why? I’m now arguing with my son over this…..he’s claiming he doesn’t need to wear socks to high school with his blazer….

Enoch Castleberry left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 1:29 PM:

i like those double monk straps. not often seen.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 12:14 PM:

@M Richards—I never wear socks in the spring, summer, or fall for that matter.

cam left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 12:13 PM:

@ M Richards - prob bc it’s spring and the sun is shinning! why not

M Richards left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 11:52 AM:

Why are you not wearing socks ? very uncouth !

Andrew left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 12:40 PM:

Nicely done Fred!

C left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 11:07 AM:

cute!

SCOTT left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 10:13 AM:

Cool look.

• Icons of Style: Paul Newman

Style  

In his closet: Tuxedos, wool blazers, striped tees, penny loafers, Repp ties, oxford cloth button down shirts, turtleneck sweaters, tennis whites

Iconic look: Lightweight sweater, chinos, canvas sneaker (with socks)

Key accessories: Rolex Daytona, cigarette

Thing you can't imitate: His shrewdness

Apr 10, 2013 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Tim Waters left a comment on 4/20/2013 at 11:51 AM:

Paul Newman and Steve McQueen were the ultimate in cool. The epitomy of the “Man’s Man”.

Lance left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 12:53 PM:

Definitely cool. Today’s Bradley Cooper?

Tana left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 10:43 PM:

What a classic! Love Unabashedly Prep!

M Arthur left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 10:20 PM:

Huge, huge star.

Mike left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 8:20 PM:

A long time style hero of mine. He’s my idea of what every man should aspire towards.

He’s masculine, but not overly so. Just right.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 7:34 PM:

@Cam—A key accessory for Newman was his cigarettes. That’s a fact. People smoke knowing full and well the consequences for doing so. Some enjoy smoking in moderation, others to excess. Not everything in “key accessories is meant to be taken so literal. “Cigarette” being one of them.

cam left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 5:39 PM:

great icon of style however cigarettes should never be a key accessory for anyone and no need to promote that.

Aimee left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 4:58 PM:

Totally Beau! ;)
    xoxo Aimee
    bowsandbeau-ties.blogspot.com

Mike left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 4:35 PM:

The dude has a vintage Daytona model named after him, not to mention his proclivity for Submariners. He is a watch icon—and this is the first thing that comes to mind when you say his name!

khordkutta left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 4:30 PM:

Newman is DAT DUDE. Hollywood and Philanthropic Legend.

Farrah left a comment on 4/18/2013 at 4:19 PM:

Handsome. Manly.

• Wardrobe XIV

Style | Dress Code  

1. Lazyjack Press printed tie*

Lazyjack Press ties are handmade in Como, Italy of 21 momme Italian silk. What is 21 momme Italian silk? It's the same grade Hermes boasts in their luxurious silk twill ties. Tongue-in-cheek nomenclature, including names like 'Gotta Light?, Keggs and Eggs, and Sweet Shades—Bro, accompany prints with provenance in 80's pop culture, college life, and Wall Street. At 3" wide, they are not too skinny, not too wide—but just right.

2. Gant Rugger Yale CO-OP oxford cloth button down
    3. Ralph Lauren engine turn buckle on Brooks Brothers lizard leather belt strap
    4. Lookmatic eyeglasses
    5. Ralph Lauren navy blazer with Benson & Clegg gold buttons
    6. Omega Seamaster wristwatch (vintage)
    7. PRO-Keds canvas sneaker
    8. J.Press York St. khakis

*courtesy of Lazyjack Press

Apr 8, 2013 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/22/2013 at 3:09 AM:

@Tripp—Lazyjack Press (as disclosed as number 1 on the list).

Tripp left a comment on 4/22/2013 at 12:41 AM:

Where is the solo cup tie from??

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/21/2013 at 8:48 AM:

@PSP—Nice pick ups. I’d love to see photos of them. Do they have the seahorse on the back?

PSP left a comment on 4/21/2013 at 8:38 AM:

FEC
    On your advice I have purchased two 1965/6 Omega Seamasters (date&without;). Lightweight, accurate, elegant and durable.  Received many complements without being showy.  PSP

Raljohn left a comment on 4/19/2013 at 5:03 AM:

@FEC - why leave the button undone?

Rebecca left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 1:38 PM:

Nice belt strap!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 7:39 AM:

@James—On my jackets, yes I do.

James left a comment on 4/17/2013 at 7:24 AM:

Fred, do you leave a button undone with functioning buttonholes?

cam left a comment on 4/16/2013 at 5:13 PM:

solid attire. keep em coming

AEV left a comment on 4/16/2013 at 9:21 AM:

I really like the belt strap.

• Newer Posts Older Posts