• J. Press York St.

Store Profiles  

by Tucker Chet Markus

One-hundred-and-ten years of fathers and sons built this place: 304 Bleecker Street, New York, New York.

In 1902, Jacobi Press, a Latvian immigrant, opened his first store on a quiet New Haven street corner and he called it J. Press. In 2010, brothers Shimon and Ariel Ovadia, New York City born and bred, started their own line of menswear—Ovadia & Sons. Now, 304 Bleecker is home to J. Press York Street—a menswear line designed for J. Press by the Ovadia twins, opened last year.

As J. Press York Street’s flagship store, this location embodies not just the character of the pieces that clothe the store, but the ineffable magic of a marriage between old and new. Yellowing photographs of Yale alums, busts, and letters written between freshman-year sweethearts are flanked by neon lights, color-block rugs, all housed in straight lines and sleek architecture.

The ethos reflects a bond forged between the traditional and the progressive. Suits in classic patterns with modern cuts, repp ties sitting on brightly colored oxfords—a line that maintains the soul of what has made J. Press an icon of American menswear while introducing it to a new generation of gentlemen.

York Street is defined by heritage—and new traditions that arise and become part of a legacy they once challenged. Like a son emerging from his father’s shadow—different, and yet, unmistakably the same.

The tile mason laid out the design of the bulldog entirely freehand.

The J. Press Honor Roll recognizing the employees who left to serve in the military. Notice Elliot Gant's name, fourth from the bottom. He eventually left the Navy in 1947 to join his brother Marty Gant in the family shirt-making business. This honor roll was pulled from the New Haven location's basement.

What guy doesn't love a hidden bookcase door?

Aug 19, 2013 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Paul left a comment on 10/20/2013 at 2:05 PM:

I was in New Haven two weeks ago and found that the fountainhead store on York Street is being torn down and then rebuilt.  The store was in temporary lodges on Chapel Street, but also needs to move again as their present location is pushing them out.  So now they are moving to second temporary location on College Street across from the Shubert Theater.  Feel bad about he old building coming down - generations of Dads and Sons were advised and bought in that wonderful old sartorial house.

A Boston Blazer left a comment on 9/26/2013 at 7:14 PM:

Nice to see these guys filling the vacuum that Rugby left. Brooks Brothers has a more youthful line in the save vein I believe. New England prep lives on!

www.abostonblazer.com

Michael left a comment on 9/26/2013 at 6:39 AM:

@Fred….nice photos!

Leith left a comment on 9/25/2013 at 1:15 PM:

Wow.  Now that is true, unadulterated prep.  So rare these days.  I love it and I can’t wear anything in there.  Maybe I can pull off the sunglasses? - Leith
    http://outsidelanddiaries.blogspot.com

Jack left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 8:33 PM:

Fred, thanks for your reply. I noticed on one of your previous posts you had a jacket with a Rhone patch on it, and was curious, since Paris is not technically in that region.

Jack

PSP left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 8:10 PM:

F.E. I’am not so sure about this place. I have not been there yet but viewing their catalog they seem to be a B version of Rugby.  On a separate note, I was sorry to see that the Rugby Cafe closed in G town.  I was told it would remain opened.

Lauren left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 7:57 PM:

This looks like an amazing store! I love the back story!

Lauren,
    http://atouchofsoutherngrace.blogspot.com/

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 6:04 PM:

@Jack—Yes, Paris.

Jack left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 5:55 PM:

Fred—just out of curiosity, have you ever been to France?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 5:32 PM:

@Mike—The Shaggy Dogs fit much better.

Mike left a comment on 9/24/2013 at 5:17 PM:

While we have all known about York St. for some time, I appreciate this look at it. I don’t live in the North East, so photos are welcome.

As per the brand, I am interested in their Shaggy Dog sweaters and how they compare to those of traditional J. Press.

• A New SocialPrimer.com

Miscellany  

Good friend and colleague, K. Cooper Ray, just relaunched his Social Primer eCommerce site this morning. It has me pining for Charleston lately as fall visits New York again. The Holy City has a landscape that encourages intimacy. It's the warm thickness in the humidity that works its way into everyone's relationships. This particular photograph from the Social Primer campaign I shot earlier this summer perfectly captures everything I love about this town—civility, dignity, and grace. Let's get back.

"You can be moved profoundly by other vistas, by other oceans, by soaring mountain ranges, but you can never be seduced. You can even forsake the lowcountry, renounce it for other climates, but you can never completely escape the sensuous, semitropical pull of Charleston and her marshes.”

—Pat Conroy

Aug 16, 2013 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 10/2/2013 at 1:36 PM:

Thanks, F.E. Always appreciate your support. And God bless your curious and insistent readers to whom we say: We are a small company on the rise. We do things our way and we do things on budget. And we do it all with an eagle eye to quality and originality. Oh, and we insist on Made in America, which takes time and perseverance these days. Big news a coming. Big things on the horizon. And yes, we are a tie company with dreams of grandeur. Thank you.

Henry left a comment on 9/25/2013 at 8:39 AM:

I thought he was expanding his line and that this campaign and relaunch were part of that - no? I was just on the site and it’s still basically all ties…..I’m confused. It seems that the marketing (which we’ve been hearing about for more than 6 mons) may have been (very) premature - ?

Lauren left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 7:06 PM:

That is a beautiful photograph! It captures the South perfectly!

Lauren,

Andrew left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 1:26 PM:

@F.E. Castleberry hahaha! That’d be one hell of a campaign.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 1:17 PM:

@George—How else would one suppose to sell and show a line of neckwear? On nude models just wearing the product?

George left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 1:15 PM:

I’m confused. The ‘campaign’ displays all sorts of items and clothes but the new web site still just sells ties and a couple additional accessories? Am I missing something?

• Icons of Style: William S. Burroughs

Style  

In his closet: Trench coat, argyle sweaters, three-piece suits, Chesterfield coat, Crombie coat, neckties (geometric, repp stripe, dot), bold patterned sportcoats

Iconic look: Fedora, fur-collared Chesterfield, horn-rimmed glasses

Key accessories: Fedora

Thing you can't imitate: His literary legacy

Aug 14, 2013 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

emjkmj left a comment on 9/5/2013 at 8:11 AM:

Fred, time to do Plimpton…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/4/2013 at 7:12 PM:

@Sarah—Yes, Tucker (a summer intern) wrote that piece as one of his summer writing assignments. I photographed the shop.

Sarah left a comment on 9/4/2013 at 6:48 PM:

Ah. I wasn’t sure about the store profile entry as it says it was written by someone else.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/4/2013 at 1:20 PM:

@Sarah—The previous three posts are all my own photographs.

Sarah left a comment on 9/4/2013 at 1:13 PM:

Icons of Style are all well and good, but when will you return to posting your own photographs?

Lauren left a comment on 9/3/2013 at 6:26 PM:

I love this post! Plus, the vintage photos are so great!

Lauren,

• Creel and Gow

Store Profiles  

by Tucker Chet Markus

There is a brownstone on 70th Street and Lexington Avenue that houses the world.

Creel and Gow was established in October 2012 by entrepreneur Jamie Creel and Sotheby’s sculpture aesthete Christopher Gow. What has emerged from their union is an entirely one-of-a-kind accumulation of the natural world’s finest art. To cross the threshold of this place is to encounter the exotic. Inside is a collection of exquisite objects from depths of prehistoric oceans, 19th century Parisian ateliers, swaying jungle treetops—a museum of natural creation, though here, these pieces are meant to be brought home.

A fossilized Sea Lily from the Jurassic Period (a time when North America and Africa were one stretch of land), $20,000; a Peacock whose ornate tail feathers plunge down its back, $3,000; elaborate statuettes hand-carved out of Moose antlers, $200; a black-and-white-striped rug that once roamed South African plains, $3,500—here, the face of Mother Nature is painted upon every portrait, carved into every sculpture.

New York is a place filled by every corner of the earth, but at Creel and Gow, Earth fills a corner of New York—in a brownstone on 70th and Lex.

Aug 12, 2013 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

closet confections left a comment on 9/6/2013 at 12:21 PM:

this store looks amazing.  i love interesting little shops like this.  i’ll definitely try to swing by over the weekend.  thanks for the recommendation.

Gregory Tenenbaum left a comment on 9/2/2013 at 5:32 AM:

Proof that the UES is still King. Proof that there is a God. Proof that ... this is just awesome.

Worldoyster left a comment on 9/1/2013 at 5:42 AM:

This looks like a great store!! I will have to go visit next time I am in NYC.

khordkutta left a comment on 8/31/2013 at 8:13 AM:

Great Post, Very interesting store.  Thanks for the info.

George left a comment on 8/30/2013 at 10:01 PM:

The perennial question: Where do they find all this stuff?

• Romeo + Juliet Signal Flag Slipper

Top Drawer | Style  

JP Crickets has been carving out a nice niche over the last couple of years with their suede university Prince Albert slippers. The loafers have quickly garnered recognition not only for their intricate collegiate crest embroidery work but for their quality construction. Currently, the venerable outfitter Brooks Brothers showcases JP Crickets' collection alongside their vast Peal & Co. offering. Each pair is made by hand...Italian hands. The small factory sits near the heel of the boot by the Adriatic Sea, run by a generational family devoted to preserving the craft.

Romeo + Juliet Signal Flag Slipper ($365)

I met founder Susan Meyer (a fixture in the polo scene) over a series of polo matches. After admiring her husband's JP Crickets, we eventually talked about doing something together...something that would not only compliment her current line but also the eponymous line I was designing. The result is a Prince Albert slipper (for men and women) in navy linen inspired by the romance of sailing. Romeo and Juliet signal flags adorn the right and left vamps respectively. Starboard green grosgrain stripe on the right heel, port red grosgrain stripe on the left. Leather sole with a 3/4" heel. Over time, the shoes relax for a truly custom feel. Wear them in, wear them out. We think it's the perfect slipper for wherever you summer.

Aug 9, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Lauren left a comment on 9/1/2013 at 1:13 PM:

The pictures in the post are beautiful! You have a great blog! I just followed you on bloglovin and would love if you’d follow me back!
    http://atouchofsoutherngrace.blogspot.com
    Lauren,

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/27/2013 at 10:44 PM:

@drew—The grog tray and stand are from West Elm.

drew left a comment on 8/27/2013 at 10:28 PM:

where is the bar cart from?

Kelsey left a comment on 8/27/2013 at 9:59 AM:

I had no idea you were so into sailing! How long have you sailed?

• Newer Posts Older Posts